Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Now we have the worst thing - hope.

It's a really long shot but 7 points off 6th place isn't impossible especially with a few of the teams above us playing each other next week, if we manage to beat Ipswich which won't be easy you just never know

Didnt go to the game still out of love with football however, the result is what matters. Its now about points and not performances.

There is a 7 point gap between Rovers and the play offs, we have a game in hand over two or three above us which would see that gap close if we can manufacture a win.

I think MA has it right, cleanse the deadwood and play with a squad of players who can grind out a result.

I wont know the result of the Ipswich game until I arrive in Tenerife, I hope its another clean sheet and 3 points.

Mr E ? There are some negative members around you 'appen to be to the biggest of them all.

It's a really long shot but 7 points off 6th place isn't impossible especially with a few of the teams above us playing each other next week, if we manage to beat Ipswich which won't be easy you just never know

Earth calling Tom. Tom we've just beaten one of the worst teams in this division before you get carried away.

Good job Apple beating bristol, you are the Messiah..or not. Get out of our club you joke no one wants you here. THREE-FOUR NEW PLAYERS.

What a pathetic comment. why dont you get out of the club.

Appleton is very well.

Good win today. his first league win for Rovers.

Appleton Blue and White Army!!! :brfc::D

• Backroom

Earth calling Tom. Tom we've just beaten one of the worst teams in this division before you get carried away.

I said its a long shot, which it is

I expect nothing at all, Shebby appointing Berg has most likely cost us our chance but its not over just yet

I said its a long shot, which it is

I expect nothing at all, Shebby appointing Berg has most likely cost us our chance but its not over just yet

And yet Singh brought in Rhodes, did he not?

We could be in the bottom 3 without him.

Did he? I mean he was probably involved in the process but I'd have thought the idea was Kean's and the money was Venky's. We could have signed Rhodes without Singh.

If Appleton continues proving the doubters (like me) wrong, then Berg will be the only reason we haven't challenged for automatic promotion this season. The form under the other 3 managers before Appleton would have put us thereabouts.

That will happen quite often.....there's about 10 other teams vying for the final 3 playoff spaces as I think Hull and Leicester will finish in the top 3.

If draws are a common occurrence and we beat enough of those teams ourselves, we're in with a shot.

Us and Brighton have only lost 3 away games, the lowest in the division. However, we've drawn the most on the road and only Bolton have won less away games than us.

We need to start winning a few more on our travels......however, our next two away are against Hull and Leicester. A win at the Emirates will hopefully boost our confidence though :tu:

• Backroom

Not in my book, he may have wanted him (encouraged by the action group I believe) instead of Kean and his Cox but the only reason we got him is because the owners green lit the money to sign him when nobody else would go that high. I won't give them credit but if anyone is to take the plaudits it has to be them.

If Shebby had identified an unknown player from Timbuktu and gone and got him and he had the same impact then maybe he would be worthy of credit for it.

Not in my book, he may have wanted him (encouraged by the action group I believe) instead of Kean and his Cox but the only reason we got him is because the owners green lighted the money to sign him when nobody else would go that high. I won't give them credit but if anyone is to take the plaudits it has to be them.

If Shebby had identified an unknown player from Timbuktu and gone and got him and he had the same impact then maybe he would be worthy of credit for it.

By that logic Redknapp and Fergie don't bring in players then, their owners do to. Who takes the credit for bringing in Van Persie? The Glazers?

There were two good things Singh did (based on my view that the two were linked with each other). Amongst a lot of bad PR. I'm loathe to take both away from him.

Not in my book, he may have wanted him (encouraged by the action group I believe) instead of Kean and his Cox but the only reason we got him is because the owners green lit the money to sign him when nobody else would go that high. I won't give them credit but if anyone is to take the plaudits it has to be them.

I accept some of what you say makes sense-without the owners' Money the Rhodes deal would not have gone through.

However, my recollection was the Kean wanted Cox, that he was going ahead with the transfer until Singh intervened, arguing that the Rovers should try and bring in a more talented player than Cox.

How did the owners know to buy Cox? I think it was because Singh brought his name to their attention!

• Backroom

Everyone sees it differently I accept he had a role in it but I'm not going to give him sole credit or call him a Singh signing although he obviously played a role

Either way I don't care I'm just happy he's here.

The point also still stands about the Berg appointment costing us dearly

Everyone sees it differently I accept he had a role in it but I'm not going to give him sole credit or call him a Singh signing

Either way I don't care I'm just happy he's here.

The point also still stands about the Berg appointment costing us dearly

Which was a combined effort by all the three unwise monkeys wasn't it, the Berg appointment?

• Backroom

So say some but the general consensus is it was a Shebby choice and he did say he made the decisions

Again I don't really care who made it (again it probably boils down to the owners) but the decision was a killer

Instead of paying 7million for a very very good striker I think we'd be in a better league position if we had just split the money and bought a good striker and a good centre midfielder, but I suppose its easy to say that with hindsight, i'm sure at the start of the season we all thought Murphy+Etuhu would give us a solid centre of midfield.

If it's Appleton & co were prepared to offer 4.5 million to DJ Campbell over 3.5 years it does make you wonder who's behind that, what their cut is and how many palms are being greased on the way. That is a joke for a 31yr old Championship journeyman and it goes to show there are still fingers in the pie looking to make a quick buck, the football comes 2nd at Ewood as Rovers continue to appear to be a vehicle for agents etc to cream money !

Interesting take on things, I guess the owners are thinking kean or bust.

Campbell is a man in form, he's not worth that sort of contract but the owners are desperate for that TV money, I guess they think its worth the gamble.

• Backroom

Instead of paying 7million for a very very good striker I think we'd be in a better league position if we had just split the money and bought a good striker and a good centre midfielder, but I suppose its easy to say that with hindsight, i'm sure at the start of the season we all thought Murphy+Etuhu would give us a solid centre of midfield.

I actually agree with that to an extent, obviously we will never know and Jordan has been superb for us but as a team we would have possibly been better off with a real imposing centra midfielder who could take the game by the scruff of the neck

Yes you make a good point, but I think Rhodes was bought with a view to making money when we sell him on, so more of a business decision than a footballing one.

Archived