BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But at the end of August did anyone really think our centre midfield was going to turn out to be so dire? Murphy and Etuhu might have looked ropey but apart from a few very shrewd / lucky guessers (delete as appropriate) individuals, I'm not convinced that anyone genuinely believed it would be that much of a priority. A left back to allow Olsson to move upfield if he stayed, or replace him if he went, was probably more of an issue.

I very much doubt we'd have been able to cover enough different positions with 8m to have added as much value as Rhodes alone has done. And 3x£2.5m players would probably been more in wages collectively as they'd have all been on more than a third of Rhodes wage...

Quite true. With us bringing in both Etuhu and Murphy, plus the likes of Formica, Vuckevic and Rochina expected to really shine in this league (whoops), I don´t recall anyone saying midfield was a problem. If anything, wasn´t there some jokes about only having midfielders, and no defenders being brought in?

Going back to Rhodes, which I probably shouldn't, everyone knew about him. You only had to watch the football league show and late kick off for the correct region and you'd know all about him so any scout or manager worth his salt would have known what he was about. He and le Fondre who is now at Southampton were the 2 you could guarantee to see a goal from most weeks when my daughter was working at BBC Leeds. Different being prepared to pay the asking price for him, but he wasn't an unknown quantity. Anyway delighted we've got him, delighted the manager seems to be setting up the team to gradually create more for him and delighted he's so composed in front of goal and is banging them in for us.

If everyone knew about him, it interesting that NO-ONE was in for him when it was widely publicised that we were.

For me Appleton has made a solid steady start.

Saturday was a straight forward display. For those Rochina luvvies, he was more frustrating than inspiring. ( you know that's true )

I think somehow the on field activities are settling.

Shebby is quiet, Agnew is where?

If the Admin side of the club can be sorted.

Game on.

Fulham were interested, whether a bid materialized I do not know

At what price? Shebby was prepared to go all out for him and persuade the owners to part with big money when the club is haemorrhaging the stuff. At the time people were incredulous that we were paying so much for a player regarded as inexperienced at the higher levels, including many on here.

I think he deserves more credit for that than he gets

that's all.

Quite true. With us bringing in both Etuhu and Murphy, plus the likes of Formica, Vuckevic and Rochina expected to really shine in this league (whoops), I don´t recall anyone saying midfield was a problem. If anything, wasn´t there some jokes about only having midfielders, and no defenders being brought in?

I thought we'd struggle in midfield and I said so many times at the time. Nothing's changed for me since then.

At what price? Shebby was prepared to go all out for him and persuade the owners to part with big money when the club is haemorrhaging the stuff. At the time people were incredulous that we were paying so much for a player regarded as inexperienced at the higher levels, including many on here.

I think he deserves more credit for that than he gets

that's all.

There's a surprise.

Just a thought here, Appleton wouldnt have been my choice, I would have preferred a more experienced manager a la McCarthy etc but, young managers have to come from somewhere, they dont just turn up as supermanagers and be it by default or extremely sound advice, we may have found a decent manager, only time will tell but as a team, we are much more organised and he has shipped out some deadwood in so much as if he was not going to play them, thats what they were.

If we bring in Thomas, Campbell and perhaps a midfielder and CD, we should have a healthy squad with balance, for the folks who are mentioning Best, with a cruciate, my guess is he wont play first team till mid late March at the earliest and he wont be match fit, so my guess we really wont see the real player until next season, so Campbell is important in that respect and with Thomas and King playing wide roles, we still have CKR, Gomes, Markus O and Nunez as cover for both of those, get Henley back and Orr is good cover there as is Henley at left back if needed, Givet is good cover at CB or left back and we have a decent balanced squad in my opinion!!

Just my thoughts, only CM remains a problem, will have to wait and see what Appleton does there!

You don't need pace to do what Rhodes currently does which is bang them in when the chance comes. You need to be cool and clinical and Saturday showed he is both of those. You can work on other aspects such as strength and hold up play and so on. I don't think, come the season's end, he'll be short of suitors. Presumably at the start of the season the big boys weren't prepared to pay for a young League one striker, but he's stepped up once and so they'll probably think he can again. Whether they are prepared to pay the asking price is another matter.

Rhodes is a goalscorer. anybody who wants will have to play 20 million pounds plus.

He most certainly is a goalscorer but he unproven at Premier League Level (although I am sure that he would score goals at that level) therefore we will get £12 million at absolute tops if we don't go up this season.

We will get what people can afford. It all depends on many factors. Our willingness to sell, the desperation of others and the mind set of the players. Pointless speculating too much on the matter and certainly pointless arguing on the matter.

Archived