BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Seems that Appletons PR company have caught a few already........words over actions so far. Let's win a league game before we all buy him a valentine

Nobody's saying it's wonderful. However, there is no point in bemoaning the fact that we don't have anything like a normal proven football structure at the club and then being all negative when we get something like, even if we're not 100% convinced that the right people are in the right jobs. Nobody wants to go back to the days when Kean and whoever ran the club. Nobody wants to go back to the days when a word of criticism of Kean meant you were out of the door. We just want to be positive about the fact that on the surface at least we are almost normal. Winning a few games would be add to the impression that at long last something is being done right. Instead of carping at appointments we ought to be thankful that someone is being appointed to a proper football related job instead of Global Advisor or whatever Agnew's title is. Still not carried away by Appleton but feeling that small steps to normaiity are being taken

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Souness comes in and brings his own team.

Hughes comes in and brings his own team.

Ince, Allardyce, Kean etc etc ditto.

Jobs for the boys, at the club's expense. Twas always thus.

Before you all get your knickers in a twist does anybody know the current going rate in the Championship for Assistant managers and fitness coaches etc etc? If it isn't much then who cares? As the average term for any manager is less than two years then his staff surely must only ever be offered a short term evergreen contract so we can get rid cheaply enough. Not only that but I'd expect one month of paying Danny Murphy would pay any three for a full year! If it doesn't then don't employ them. It's a take it or leave it situation cos there's a cold wind blowing around football these days. There is no question that our wage bill must be reduced but I'm sure the wages paid within the squad and various monies to their agents etc is the first and most obvious target. How much BRFC money is ending up in Portugal for instance?

Hughes especially, he brought in everyone but the tea lady. We'd mostly had some continuity till that point with Parkes, Darracot etc

Quite right! We certainly don't want to see the likes of Mark Hughes and the Tafia making us a force in the Prem and taking us to Europe on a regular basis as well as making towards 50m for the club in player deals ever darkening our doors again do we?

Kinell! Unless there is heavy irony that I have not detected then all I can say is that some folk are beyond belief! :rolleyes:

Before you all get your knickers in a twist does anybody know the current going rate in the Championship for Assistant managers and fitness coaches etc etc? If it isn't much then who cares? As the average term for any manager is less than two years then his staff surely must only ever be offered a short term evergreen contract so we can get rid cheaply enough. Not only that but I'd expect one month of paying Danny Murphy would pay any three for a full year! If it doesn't then don't employ them. It's a take it or leave it situation cos there's a cold wind blowing around football these days. There is no question that our wage bill must be reduced but I'm sure the wages paid within the squad and various monies to their agents etc is the first and most obvious target. How much BRFC money is ending up in Portugal for instance?

You would be gobsmacked at how many clubs target everything but the 1st team when making cut-backs.

Whoosh............

The point is (which I didn't think I'd need to spell out but will do so for the intellectually challenged) is not so much the cost (although the cost of removing Ince, Kean and Allardyce and their teams and paying off Berg ran into millions and millions) is the cronyism in football and short-term nature of the job because most of them are useless. They all move en masse around from one club to another more often than not leaving destruction and a mess in their wake.

I for one welcome the new additions, it seems finally that 'confused of Pune' have realised they need to let the manager manage, which includes bringing in his own people, that can only be a good thing in my book.

The quality of personnel is another thing entirely, but I guess thats a sign of how far we've fallen under the confused ones...

Don't know if this has been mentioned but Murphy's wife said to me on Twitter that Danny is very happy with the new manager. Markus Olsson seems pleased too. Hopefully the rest of the squad like him too and so far they seem to.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but Murphy's wife said to me on Twitter that Danny is very happy with the new manager. Markus Olsson seems pleased too. Hopefully the rest of the squad like him too and so far they seem to.

Hopefully he is. If the big boys are happy no doubt the younger guys will be.

EDIT Has anyone seen Marcus play recently? Sounded like he did well in the last game.

• Backroom

Murphy's wife also said Danny was a big fan of Steve Kean so I wouldn't take anything she or her husband say especially seriously. The players can do their talking on the pitch, and their wives should keep quiet about club matters.

Murphy's wife also said Danny was a big fan of Steve Kean so I wouldn't take anything she or her husband say especially seriously. The players can do their talking on the pitch, and their wives should keep quiet about club matters.

I think similar was said of Berg as well.

Kazim-Richards seemed to imply Berg wasn't well-liked by the players, suggesting he was quite reserved and didn't communicate much.

I was referring to Murphys comments early on in Bergs reign. I do though recall Pedersen saying similar as CKR about Berg. I think that MA will be around for a while so the players will have to like it or lump it.

I was referring to Murphys comments early on in Bergs reign. I do though recall Pedersen saying similar as CKR about Berg. I think that MA will be around for a while so the players will have to like it or lump it.

He has 3 more games to prove himself .. Shabby said.

Shebby needs to shut up and go back to talking football in a place very very far away from here.

Abbey was being sarcastic. Shebby Singh never said anything like that. In fact, the guy hasn't said anything for a very, very long time unless you want to include the unofficial informal diner Q and A session which was more of a joke than a real interview or press statement.

Archived