BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

What a weekend, woke in a girlfriends flat near Dukes Brow to hear Plymouth fans singing in Town, doubly excited the build up to the match, and I'd lost my virginity :):):)

Would be tremendous if someone on here recognized you, declared that it was their daughter and you were the father of quadruplets.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Does degree classification truly mean anything? I understand phd or msc being better than bsc. But in terms of distinction/merit or 1st down to 2:2, the actual practical difference is very little if both candidates have equal experience.

I know of a chartered forensic psychologist who gets very little custom, yet a lad with only a 1st at grad-level regularly consulted on police matters, for example.

some fans will allow him the time to do this and some wont

Wish you'd stop saying that. Has he received any vocal criticism during matches? No, so clearly everyone is allowing him time. Some just have the opinion that he's unlikely to get us promoted based on his past record as manager. Others are prepared to disregard his past record, use extenuating circumstances to improve it, or claim promotion isn't possible so he doesn't have to be that good anyway.

There's a line between expressing your opinion on here and vocally criticising someone during games. The anti-Allardyce fans used to cross that line all the time, the anti-Berg and anti-Appleton fans haven't crossed it at any point so far.

Of course classification means something. At most uni's obtaining a 1st is far from easy and requires the student to have not only a very strong understanding and comprehension of the subject but to be able to relate it and articulate to others. Most people get a 2:1 it's the norm or average. 2:1 is decent but 1st's are rarely handed out, we take in 400 students per year, 1 studying football will get a 1st (out of 50), with general sports about 5, but 15 and 80-90 will get 2:1's.

Rovers need someone or some people who have serious scientific knowledge only the elite of the elite have this and the benefits are obvious and why I keep dragging up the Olympics.

Spain, germany, France, Holland even Brazil all follow this mantra and they all sit well above British teams and clubs.

Hanley is a great example. Rovers employ a dietician and yet Hanley lives on Junk food (KFC I believe) I've even had lunch a Brockhall and was served battered fish. This is shocking, that type of food is not what a player should be eating after training and obviously given Hanleys lust for fried chicken, then nutritional education is seriously lacking at the academy and club period.

• Backroom

Wish you'd stop saying that. Has he received any vocal criticism during matches? No, so clearly everyone is allowing him time. Some just have the opinion that he's unlikely to get us promoted based on his past record as manager. Others are prepared to disregard his past record, use extenuating circumstances to improve it, or claim promotion isn't possible so he doesn't have to be that good anyway.

There's a line between expressing your opinion on here and vocally criticising someone during games. The anti-Allardyce fans used to cross that line all the time, the anti-Berg and anti-Appleton fans haven't crossed it at any point so far.

May I take the time to acknowledge your 'credit where its due' post earlier. Surprised me. I'll try and be less argumentative as I had you down as what mercerman once was haha.
Of course classification means something. At most uni's obtaining a 1st is far from easy and requires the student to have not only a very strong understanding and comprehension of the subject but to be able to relate it and articulate to others. Most people get a 2:1 it's the norm or average. 2:1 is decent but 1st's are rarely handed out, we take in 400 students per year, 1 studying football will get a 1st (out of 50), with general sports about 5, but 15 and 80-90 will get 2:1's.

Rovers need someone or some people who have serious scientific knowledge only the elite of the elite have this and the benefits are obvious and why I keep dragging up the Olympics.

Spain, germany, France, Holland even Brazil all follow this mantra and they all sit well above British teams and clubs.

Hanley is a great example. Rovers employ a dietician and yet Hanley lives on Junk food (KFC I believe) I've even had lunch a Brockhall and was served battered fish. This is shocking, that type of food is not what a player should be eating after training and obviously given Hanleys lust for fried chicken, then nutritional education is seriously lacking at the academy and club period.

That's just Hanley lacking common sense. Even I know rice/pasta and properly cooked chicken and veg etc is a sporting diet over kfc.

Point taken re: degrees. I just feel that surely the knowledge is still available, its just that those with a 1st know it from memory for the most part. Someone with a 2:1 probably has access to the same info, just not to memory. And every pro refers back to their books and research anyway.

I know of a chartered forensic psychologist who gets very little custom, yet a lad with only a 1st at grad-level regularly consulted on police matters, for example.

So a masters and a 1st? Well you can sneak on a masters with a 2:2 at some places so without knowing that part? The lad with the 1st is most likely above the other as given his lack of business and the others I'll hazrad he didn't get a 1st.

Personally I don't see a masters as being enough either. Obviously not taking anything away from those doing a masters but a PhD or even an Mphil is so different. Masters are like undergrads teacher driven, Mphils and PhD's driven by yourself. You do all the work, you figure it all out and those are qualities that will be needed at the top level. you learn how to research and how to put all the pieces together with cohesion. If those people can also relate and conduct that into an applied setting then they go to the top, provided the chance transpires.

May I take the time to acknowledge your 'credit where its due' post earlier. Surprised me. I'll try and be less argumentative as I had you down as what mercerman once was haha.

Thanks. Well I try to base my opinion on results as much as possible and don't mind changing it if results change. Always bugs me when fans refuse to praise someone who improves because they've already decided he's bad and thats the end of the story. I'd be chuffed for Appleton to confound all his critics and be a success. One game won't do it but I criticised him after Brighton so its only fair to praise him after yesterday.

And don't worry about being argumentative, there's not many worse than me on that score!

• Backroom

Thanks. Well I try to base my opinion on results as much as possible and don't mind changing it if results change. Always bugs me when fans refuse to praise someone who improves because they've already decided he's bad and thats the end of the story. I'd be chuffed for Appleton to confound all his critics and be a success. One game won't do it but I criticised him after Brighton so its only fair to praise him after yesterday.

And don't worry about being argumentative, there's not many worse than me on that score!

Aye good man. I quite like you now :P

That's just Hanley lacking common sense. Even I know rice/pasta and properly cooked chicken and veg etc is a sporting diet over kfc.

Point taken re: degrees. I just feel that surely the knowledge is still available, its just that those with a 1st know it from memory for the most part. Someone with a 2:1 probably has access to the same info, just not to memory. And every pro refers back to their books and research anyway.

But uni's are not exam driven, it's coursework driven so memory is not the be all and end all.

Pasta and rice may sound like the right things but they are not. What sort of pasta, what sort of rice GI content and so on. how to assess body fat? most use Pollocks equations and yet height is not considered, so it's @#/?. I advised one club last year as there body fats were going through the roof, what were they eating after training pasta, bread's rice, chicken, veg and so on. What was the problem, it was all white flour based and so was high GI which consequently is digested very quickly (you've just been training and so your body decimates it quickly), this causes blood sugar to spick, insulin to be released and all those food floating round in your blood to be stored as fat. Right type of food at the right time, right supplements, recovery schedules and so on and then you can up the training load and push fitness levels much higher than normal. As in the grand scale of things IE all sports footballers are not that fit.

Yes they may refer back to their books (ROFLMAO) most are not well educated, it's not there fault it's just the world they are placed in. Most footballers do not see the benefits and it's never pointed out to them. Managers feel (this is from one of our best ever)that players are better of feeling better than say stop living on a diet of chocolate.

The science changes everyday, new techniques, new discovery's and if you're not keeping up to date you get left behind. 20 years ago running them continuously was best, then interval training, the small sided games had the same response and now sprints improve endurance and even certain types of strength trainings can perhaps do it. Christ you can even take a pill that will do it. Rovers desperately need someone like this, what is the point of having a great training center and then staffing it with average joes??? It will be just like St Georges as that's what's occurred there. Do people actually think our fitness coaches are once trainings done all the data analysised are then sitting down and trawling through the 500,000 journals that are published in this field every year? No chance. And that's before you even cross over into other disciplines that could benefit and you must be able to sort strong science from rubbish as there's a lot of it.

And this is why I get annoyed at appointments like we are and have seen, it's not about ability, it's about trust. and the worst part of it all as with many a life aspect the people making the choices have no true knowledge from which to judge. A bit like parents appointing headmasters/mistresses as does occur. People in football actually think if you have a degree you know the same as the next man with a degree. Why? because most people in football are from football and have never been above a GNVQ, which they most likely did under duress.

training finishes, then back to changing rooms, fart around having a shower a de-brief etc. Then over to the canteen for food say about 30-40 minutes after finishing. yes people who train frequently have a higher metabolic rate and this also increases with training as more energy is needed but those stores need to be replaced and that's where the food comes in. because it's all white flour based digestion time will be about 30 mins so you eat a plate full of pasta and chicken and couple of rolls and all this is broken down into glucose and placed into the bloodstream very quickly. Regardless of how hard you've trained there is only one response, insulin release as that's a serious amount of glucose hitting your body at one time. This (insulin) will compete with replenishing the energy stores and so you'll most likely feel hungry again about 2-3 hours later as fat storage is better at getting the glucose and those stores will still want filling. A higher metabolic rate plays a part in this as if you require more energy you will eat again as it's needed, but eat simple foods again and the same things happens and you will regardless get fat.

So yes your energy stores will be replaced to a degree but your fat stores will increase. Your body can only work so fast, but fat storage is quicker. If you eat low GI pasta's which take much longer to digest then the glucose is released into your blood slower and so insulin release is avoided and every bit of it goes to replaced your energy stores.

Congrats on getting onto your masters, you wouldn't have been accepted if they didn't have faith you were capable of completing, regardless of undergrad degree. Good luck and well done.

• Backroom

That's all very interesting and a good read (genuinely). However, you say its about trust yet you're not keen on the guy who Appleton trusts? I might have missed something there, in which case I apologise but it seems a bit contradictory.

My apologies, I misread that bit of your post.

But if Appleton trusts the guy, then he feels he has the ability, surely? And he'll know more about it's relevance to rovers?

I know you're a coach of some kind, but do rovers ever consult you?

You're a bit of a joke figure around here these days so I'll not bite.

:lol: Just noticed that. Coming from you I'll take that as a compliment. Wrong on Allardyce, wrong on Berg, constantly rewriting history and contradicting yourself, and roll out the insults every time someone except you expresses a negative opinion. Did it even register that I was 1 of 4 people that said the same thing as well? You're the only joke around here.

Are they potentially premiership quality chaddy ?

For @#/? sake man.

Yorkblue, I think the crowd was 17500 although that was massive in the dark days of the 70's. it was one of many great days as a small club.

If my memory serves it was just over 19K, one of the most awesome days as a Rovers fan. Gordon Lee put together a team to do the job, job got done.

You were nearly 'bob-on' with the attendance .... it was actually 17818 (Thanks to the oracle written by a previous poster on this thread ;) ).

The match itself is easily in my 'top three Rovers memorable games of all time' ... scrap that .... it was the best.

I stand corrected

Gordon Lee, can you imagine this lot (our fans) with Lee. Handpicked players who he knew could mesh and perform as a winning unit. Most of them quite unremarkable players individually. I can hear the moans and groans of this MB as he went and got the likes of Hawkins, Hickman, Beamo, Graeme Oates. If Appleton can do likewise that would be awesome, it's not about the individual player, it's his part of something bigger. If Appleton brings in a player from say League one, if he performs as part of a cohesive unit, who cares? There are some good stories of players like this currently plying their trade in our top flight. If Appleton can hodge podge together a team of unremarkables like Lee and have them perform likewise then that's great isn't it.

Almost everyone in football follows the pattern of hiring their mates, it's without doubt one of the games failings. Yes you need people you can trust but trust can be built, ability and talent not to the same degree.
That's all very interesting and a good read (genuinely). However, you say its about trust yet you're not keen on the guy who Appleton trusts? I might have missed something there, in which case I apologise but it seems a bit contradictory.

My apologies, I misread that bit of your post.

But if Appleton trusts the guy, then he feels he has the ability, surely? And he'll know more about it's relevance to rovers?

I know you're a coach of some kind, but do rovers ever consult you?

Maji has a Phd in sports sciences, works for a football league club and knows many of the top scientists within the game, Rovers may have consulted him but through a third party, thats all I am saying !!

It is a concern that needs clearing up. If Ben Mansford is his agent,
he is also a director of WMG, Who's Vice President is Dan Potts - Football Consultant at SEM / Kentaro Group.

Don't sem / kentario own a lot of companies? Maybe WMG is one of them.

The person who wrote the article used the word agent. Appleton has said he does not have an agent.

Maji has a Phd in sports sciences, works for a football league club and knows many of the top scientists within the game, Rovers may have consulted him but through a third party, thats all I am saying !!

I'm quite happy to post on here that my last discussion with Mr SS was based around nutrition and the benefits a proper program could bring to the players. I was stupid enough to send him details of a program I spent considerable time putting together for my old club (6months) amid a plethora of promises by Shebby to get the square route of Kean. Am i bitter? yes that program was worth thousands and it's yet another reason I will never get on board with the current rulers as lies & deceit seem to be the norm. it's all stark contrast to the time I met JW and was then offered work at the academy, which I declined. When I compare my experiences with both regimes I have to say what we have now is but a speck of dust in comparison as fans were valued and all promises kept.

At the end of the day I shouldn't have sent through what I did, but with Rovers the heart is involved and as always it clouds my judgement.

Archived