BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Extremely disillusioned with life under Appleton so far, not so much results but the style of play and the players he's picking.

I thought under Berg at least we had at least swiftly and correctly identified players with no future such as Pedersen Orr Goodwillie and Marcus Olsson and started to give players with talent like Henley Rochina and Vuckevic their head.

Gary Bowyer carried this progression on AND got results. Appleton seems determined to bring all the dross in from the cold.

Appleton hasn't got results and more importantly imo the style of play is extremely boring and negative, the reason we didn't pick up 3 points against Brighton was that we made no real attempt to go for a 2nd goal and kill the game off.

He's talking a great game off the pitch, on it he's doing exactly the opposite of what you would hope or expect.

As I post this were one up at Derby in the Cup, will we go onto convert, or sit back and let it slip again?

2 games in and" Appleton hasn't got results"? :blink: His play is" boring and negative"? :blink: ............ Give me strength! :rock:

2 games in and" Appleton hasn't got results"? :blink: His play is" boring and negative"? :blink: ............ Give me strength! :rock:

Agreed otto, we must allow him to review his squad, play whom he thinks is right. It's what any manager would do.

My question to Appleton would be:

"You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?"

Plenty have talked big at Rovers and haven't delivered. Time to ease off that PR exercise Michael and actually do something.

I think talking at a press conference is sort of a prerequisite.

• Backroom
People are really showing themselves up as idiots in this thread.

I think people have different views on what is exciting

I do hope today isn't Appletons Peterbrough though

I thought under Berg at least we had at least swiftly and correctly identified players with no future such as Pedersen Orr Goodwillie and Marcus Olsson and started to give players with talent like Henley Rochina and Vuckevic their head.

Surprised at your analysis (the whole thing, I'm just going to comment further on this part). You seem to have had an opinion which goes against the majority since the days of Allardyce now. I can't help but get the feeling this is no coincidence, I imagine if the feeling had become anti-Appleton that your post would be much more positive. Having said that, given that you've been more tolerant of Venky's than most on here, I thought you might have been in support of Appleton given that he's a direct choice of theirs.

Re the quote above; Rochina and Vukcevic have had plenty of chances recently, neither has put in a performance worthy of staying in the team. They are two of the players Appleton is referring to when he talks about the amount of "number 10s" we have in our unblanaced squad.

Pedersen and Markus are natural wide players and will do a better job than Vukcevic and Rochina. I said Vukcevic was our best signing since Bellamy when he joined so I'm judging him without any bias at all (the opposite in fact, I desperately want him to do well but I've long given up hope). No cohesive team could play Rochina on a regular basis until he learns how to think like a footballer, his only use will be as an impact sub when we're chasing a game until he can do that.

Henley is injured by the way, so that's an invalid point. Goodwillie is our only other fit striker as well so he has to be around the squad until Best returns. He was unavailable during Berg's reign so again, an invalid point.

One win in 10 - worked well under Berg didn't it ?

So after saying he shouldn't be judged on 2 games or even his previous record, people are going to shove one game in others faces???

I don't think that's what people are doing Maj. I think they're just highlighting the need not to prejudge after such a short space of time. Anyway! Let's just enjoy the win for tonight and discuss the pro's and con's tomorrow eh?

• Backroom
So after saying he shouldn't be judged on 2 games or even his previous record, people are going to shove one game in others faces???

I haven't said he's the messiah as far as I'm aware. Simply pointing out that 'style' arguments are utter folly if you get results. Rev stated that style is more important than results and we are boring and negative. Played the style the Hughes liked the last 2 games and that served us well. We aren't negative at all. As far as I can tell, we've upped our tempo already and like to force our way down the wing.

Dunno about you, but I find wingplay the most exciting part of football (aside from actually scoring). Whether it's blistering pace, trickery or only just beating the full back. As a result I've enjoyed these last 2 games.

However, I hope this isn't his Peterborough and he keeps it up (results matter).

Whilst I think it is fair to form a judgement of Appleton that he is short of experience and not who we should've appointed, and quite frankly a risk that shouldn't have been taken, you can't really judge him after 3 results.

Having said that, we as fans have been messed about so much (5th manager this season, what a joke) that they're not likely to be too patient.

Premature in the extreme to be sticking the boot in at this stage, but by the same token, a little early to be getting too excited.

I am pleased at the win, now lets get a few in the league. Not happy about King at all as we need wide players with pace at present and it is @#/? poor by whoever said he was ready to start.

Unfortunately in the modern game results aren't the be all and end all and punters will want to be entertained. I'd be far more on board if his previous results at other clubs were better and wait with baited breath as Ince and philips are hardly poor wingers. We'll have to wait and see what transpires and I hope he does well but I don't like the hiring of all his mates from Pompey as regardless of circumstance they failed miserably there. Filling the roles great, but we should have been looking for better IMO.

I am pleased at the win, now lets get a few in the league. Not happy about King at all as we need wide players with pace at present and it is @#/? poor by whoever said he was ready to start.

Unfortunately in the modern game results aren't the be all and end all and punters will want to be entertained. I'd be far more on board if his previous results at other clubs were better and wait with baited breath as Ince and philips are hardly poor wingers. We'll have to wait and see what transpires and I hope he does well but I don't like the hiring of all his mates from Pompey as regardless of circumstance they failed miserably there. Filling the roles great, but we should have been looking for better IMO.

"Gis a job, I can do that"

"Gis a job, I can do that"

We need a cleaner at the uni fancy it?

Dear God...

Apparently you're one of the more popular posters around here but after what we've been through the last couple of years I doubt you'll find anyone who is bothered about that!

It was a general statement about all football fans and unfortunately a true one.

I really can't believe you've posted that Maj. Especially after a 3-0 away win.

The discussion was a general one not one about todays match.

It was a general statement about all football fans and unfortunately a true one.

I'm sorry, but the only universal statement about football fans is that we are fickle - our feelings towards the players and manager, depend on our position in the league, but mainly on how we have been playing in the previous 3 or 4 games.

Let's give Appleton a chance - things seem to be going very well at the moment - and then, if it turns out he's a failure, we can go and berate him or go back to doommongering.

Winning football games should come 1st before entertainment

Maj, are you unhappy with who Appleton has bought in on the coaching staff???

Chris Nevilie as fitness coach and works with the England senior squad.

Most of us wanted the new manager to bring in his own coaching staff. Appleton has done this and now people are moaning about it.

Appleton is bring in staff he knows and trusts.

Just need Appleton to appoint a first team coach which he is doing by next week.

Archived