BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An experienced manager would have closed the Brighton game . Why not use all subs kill the clock a bit . If we had someone with experience of say Sven or curbs that's waft would have happened. Not putting a striker on either would have helped . International know how or johns cut price Preston experience .

An experienced manager would have closed the Brighton game . Why not use all subs kill the clock a bit . If we had someone with experience of say Sven or curbs that's waft would have happened. Not putting a striker on either would have helped . International know how or johns cut price Preston experience .

putting a striker on would have been ok, if said striker had a brain

I don't think he has a shocking track record. Though he hasn't done anything outstanding. At pompey he was on a hiding to nothing. Blackpool - who had been on a bad run - he steadied the ship. Ok he has brought in folk from pompey - maybe sticking to those has worked with before and trusts to do so again. Which considering he is not that experienced in management, is not a bad idea imo.

But what matters is action, as you rightly say. It is a results based business afterall.

His record is almost as good as Keans. It doesn't matter where he cut his cloth, he was happy to take the job and knew the circumstances. Look at Blackpool, decent team and whilst Holloway (when committed) had them firing, Appy managed a couple of wins and plenty of draws. Hardly fireworks and not inspiring.

Almost everyone in football follows the pattern of hiring their mates, it's without doubt one of the games failings. Yes you need people you can trust but trust can be built, ability and talent not to the same degree.

My question to Appleton would be:

"You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?"

Plenty have talked big at Rovers and haven't delivered. Time to ease off that PR exercise Michael and actually do something.

That's what I want to see as well. Personally I'm sick and tired of reading and hearing comments from whoever at the club, after the last 2-3 years of words, it's time for actions and preferably on the pitch and 'positive' ones.

Plenty have talked big at Rovers and haven't delivered. Time to ease off that PR exercise Michael and actually do something.

Appleton has only been here a couple of weeks, and by his ramblings has already worked out exactly whats wrong at the club. His comments are most welcome in our house, after years of bullsh1t from king rat and then months of similar from Singh, I have no problem with his actually telling it as it is!

Overloaded in attacking positions, players not up for the fight, thank god someone else sees what we’ve been saying for years!

VENKYS OUT

SINGH OUT

AGNEW OUT

Were we not 2nd when Kean waltzed off? If people are judging Appleton after 2 games then surely they will have loved Kean after the first 10 games in this league

Anyone judging Appleton after 2 games is a prat, simple as that.

Oh absolutely! After all, his track record at the club now demands less talk and more action. No room for slackers here eh? FFS! Give the guy a break! He's been here how long? Waaaaay too early to judge.

It would have been a +1 but you omitted Shaw.

The way Shaw dealt with the Appleton approach and subsiquent appointment seemed professionalish! And for that reason alone I've omitted him from the hate list.

Maybe I'm getting soft....

Oh absolutely! After all, his track record at the club now demands less talk and more action. No room for slackers here eh? FFS! Give the guy a break! He's been here how long? Waaaaay too early to judge.

He's the one coming out stating the obvious and talking big. If he can back up what he preaches then fine, until then If I was him I would keep quiet and focus on the pitch.

Agreed, time for the talking to be done on the pitch now.

He's the one coming out stating the obvious and talking big. If he can back up what he preaches then fine, until then If I was him I would keep quiet and focus on the pitch.

You're not being objective at all. The guy has stated he's going to address immediate issues and attempt to redress imbalances within his remit. In what way is this "Talking big"? Either you allow new staff time to orientate themselves and give them a reasonable time frame in which to perform or you place them under unreasonable pressure by having unrealistic expectations. Had your new boss just been as unforgiving would you be happy? :rock:

Extremely disillusioned with life under Appleton so far, not so much results but the style of play and the players he's picking.

I thought under Berg at least we had at least swiftly and correctly identified players with no future such as Pedersen Orr Goodwillie and Marcus Olsson and started to give players with talent like Henley Rochina and Vuckevic their head.

Gary Bowyer carried this progression on AND got results. Appleton seems determined to bring all the dross in from the cold.

Appleton hasn't got results and more importantly imo the style of play is extremely boring and negative, the reason we didn't pick up 3 points against Brighton was that we made no real attempt to go for a 2nd goal and kill the game off.

He's talking a great game off the pitch, on it he's doing exactly the opposite of what you would hope or expect.

As I post this were one up at Derby in the Cup, will we go onto convert, or sit back and let it slip again?

• Backroom

Horses for courses

For me and many others the football we played on Tuesday was far more exciting than 90% of the season so far, we were organised, direct and had intent but for a truly world class save and a couple of missed chances we would have been out of sight

Archived