SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Id say quite lucky because Berg would probably still be here. Judging by the comments from Kazim the players didn't respect him.

How much did Singh contribute to that lack of respect though?

Berg came in and failed to bring in any of his own staff, whilst allowing Shebby onto the training pitch. I wouldn't have respected that either.

If Shebby had been told to stay away, and Berg brought in his own staff, I wonder if things would have been different? Guess we'll never know.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Appleton. All we have to go on are two games, the hiring of staff and what he has said to the media, but based on that I like what I'm seeing. Firstly because while he has talked about the owner's ambitions, I don't think he's said any more positive guff than you'd expect, and he's called it a "circus", talked about the poor recruitment and mistakes being made etc. Some might say that Berg did too, but only really *before* he was hired.

But mainly what makes me feel positive about it is that he seems to have a plan. He talks about a coherent recruitment strategy and assembling a squad that's suited to the way you play, and one of the first things he does is to hire a scout he's worked with in the past. He talks about the unbalanced squad and playing players out of position; next game he plays not our best 11 players, but plays wide midfielders as wide midfielders and we immediately look more balanced. There are signs that he knows what he wants to do, and immediately sets about doing it.

Now, having a plan is not the same thing as making that a reality. Nor is it a guarantee that it will work. But I am a big believer in that continuity, planning and a systematic long-term approach are the key factors in being successful and sustaining that success. In football terms I believe you can go a long way simply by doing the basics right. Things like have only players who want to play for the club, play those players in their best roles in a balanced formation, and keep up the fitness levels.

If given support by the owners I think he will do that. I don't think we'll reach the playoffs this season (In fact I'm fairly sure of that) but I think his record will be better than our overall record before his appointment. And that we will improve from there; the caveat being that this depends on exactly how much he is asked to slash wages.

Positivity tends to get you slagged off here, so I might as well point out that he was not my first choice, far from it. Nor do I like the way this manager search (Or the previous one(s)) were concluded. And my opinion on the owners is no different than it has been ever since they forced out JW. But I do believe that MA can steady the ship and get us moving in the right direction.

Only time will tell if this post is going to make me look extremely silly or not!

Well said - I agree

Well said - I agree

about time people started feeling a good vibe about our club rather than wait till the slightest little thing goes wrong lets hope some of our doom monger fans can see that all the fans wanna see is comitment from our players in the blue and white halfs and play as a team bring some new faces in and start clearing the dead woods looking forward to the derby match on saturday up the blues

about time people started feeling a good vibe about our club rather than wait till the slightest little thing goes wrong lets hope some of our doom monger fans can see that all the fans wanna see is comitment from our players in the blue and white halfs and play as a team bring some new faces in and start clearing the dead woods looking forward to the derby match on saturday up the blues

after the last 2 years or so it just shows how far we've fallen a good battling performance with players battling against a mid table IMO poor Brighton side

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10184739.Rovers_boss_ready_to_shake_up_side_ahead_of_transfer_deadline_day/?ref=twt

Im liking the sound of this guy the more I read his comments

"Sometimes when I look at other sides and the balance of their squad I am quite jealous. That shows good recruitment."

Is this a dig a shabba the hut maybe?

He is talking a lot of sense right now, his comments echo what we've been saying on here for almost 2 years. Lets hope this talk transpires onto the pitch for the start of next season.

His comments about having 12 number 10's did make me laugh. I'd imagine Rosado et al. are beginning to pack their bags.

He is talking a lot of sense right now, his comments echo what we've been saying on here for almost 2 years. Lets hope this talk transpires onto the pitch for the start of next season.

His comments about having 12 number 10's did make me laugh. I'd imagine Rosado et al. are beginning to pack their bags.

Id loan a load of them out to other clubs, you never know some might develop into good players for us and the ones that dont then let them go

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10184739.Rovers_boss_ready_to_shake_up_side_ahead_of_transfer_deadline_day/?ref=twt

Im liking the sound of this guy the more I read his comments

"Sometimes when I look at other sides and the balance of their squad I am quite jealous. That shows good recruitment."

Is this a dig a shabba the hut maybe?

Really liking the comments Appleton is coming out with. They're not just meaningless soundbites, he obviously knows exactly what is wrong on the playing side of things. I was really underwhelmed by his appointment but I'm starting to believe he could be the no-nonsense type we need to sort out this mess - a Graeme Souness II perhaps.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10184739._/?

"It (the squad) is totally unbalanced. We have probably got 10 or 12 number 10s"

We've all noticed that for ages so I'm glad he also has.

• Backroom
after the last 2 years or so it just shows how far we've fallen a good battling performance with players battling against a mid table IMO poor Brighton side

You think Brighton are poor? They're a solid championship side with the play-offs in sight. Do you think they're poor in general (so we're even poorer) or poor compared to us (mental)?

Agree - although, I'm very wary of getting sucked into comments.

Even though I wasn't happy with the appointment, due to his poor results record in Norway, I remember thinking at the outset that Berg was talking a good game too.

Seems like some of Appleton's backroom staff changes are good ones too.

Archived