BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indeed I have. It's a footballing cliche that tends to be the hallmark of successful managers... and before you try to say Kean and Kidd talked a good game, I beg to differ. The bigger picture behind my comment is that I believe that given our full support, Appleton could turn our club around. Feel free to castigate me if proven wrong.

Whether he's a success or not, saying that he "will" be a success if given the support is frankly pretty daft, especially given his pretty poor record to date.

I'm not writing him off and definitely not saying he will be a failure but the odds aren't looking good.

Evidently not. Although picking Markus Olsson in the first team is surely the sign of a top manager, no?

He has worked with the squad for what a week? Has decided to give some people a chance, lets see how they do tonight, Appleton is clearly wanting to see what the players can do and isn't prejudging them.

I was also very impressed with Appleton's comments so far- cant put my finger on it but far more confident about him than I was about Berg.

Evidently not. Although picking Markus Olsson in the first team is surely the sign of a top manager, no?

To be honest I am not a fan of Markus Olsson, but there is some logic in the selection. Pick a bunch of grafters, take out the fancy players. Make the team solid and then build from that.

I imagine it's what Allardyce or Hughes would do if they took over the way we are at the moment. Show the players you have to work hard and be physical to get in the team.

• Backroom

If Markus Olsson had anything other than pace to his game I wouldn't care.

But he's awful, absolutely awful. He wasn't fit for the Swedish second division, let alone a club playing in the Championship.

I suppose it could be worse, Bradley Orr could have returned early and started. Though that horrible day is only just over the horizon.

If Markus Olsson had anything other than pace to his game I wouldn't care.

But he's awful, absolutely awful. He wasn't fit for the Swedish second division, let alone a club playing in the Championship.

I suppose it could be worse, Bradley Orr could have returned early and started. Though that horrible day is only just over the horizon.

He has two caps for his country so clearly good enough for his country but not the 2nd division in his country? By the way I am not totally disagreeing with what you are saying, only stating that Appleton has seen him in training and is giving him a chance-lets see what happens. Same goes for Orr, most of our players have looked poor maybe if they are managed properly they may show us their actual qualities?

• Backroom

In my humble opinion neither Olsson or Orr have anything to offer us beyond bland mediocrity. We need to do far better than the pair of them to have any chance of getting into the playoffs, let alone getting promoted.

Or are we happy now just to stay in the Championship?

In my humble opinion neither Olsson or Orr have anything to offer us beyond bland mediocrity. We need to do far better than the pair of them to have any chance of getting into the playoffs, let alone getting promoted.

Or are we happy now just to stay in the Championship?

Agree with most of that so lets see who Appleton buys and sells by the end of the window? This will give us a better indication as to what our chances are of a play off place.

• Backroom
The words Danny Murphy and great should never be used in the same sentence..... nor should they ever have!

I must've imagined him being the instrumental Fulham captain, helping to orchestrate their run to the Europa League Final then. My bad.

Please do not mistake my use of the word 'great' for the word 'legend' or similar. To me 'great' means good in their role. I do not mean 'great' in the sense of your Shearers or even your Flitcrofts.

Danny Murphy (until he came here) was always a player you could rely on to pass the team out of trouble. Rather like a Tugay-lite.

• Backroom

Very impressed with the way he set the team out tonight, they gave their all and I imagine a few will be having strong words with goodwillie

We were robbed tonight but I am happy as the remainder of the season is about becoming a well drilled side who is difficult to beat in preparation for next season. From what I could tell from the commentary, Brighton were not able to create any real chances yet they usually create hatfuls.

Tonight, we were rock solid and well drilled. Appleton will get us strong in that department. With King, Henley and Best to come back plus a new cm, rm, and defender to come in I think we'll be very strong next season.

Massive fan of Appleton.

• Backroom

We dominated yet didn't score a goal from open play. The reason we're going home with a point, first and foremost, is because we failed to score more than one goal.

Appleton needs to find a way to get these players scoring without weakening our already fairly shaky defence. It's going to be difficult to do considering the players at his disposal.

Bringing on Goodwillie with 5 minutes normal time left instead of shutting down the game.....a grave mistake from Appleton.

That was a bad mistake as we all know how bad Goodwille is. Hopefully Appleton now realises he useless.

We dominated yet didn't score a goal from open play. The reason we're going home with a point, first and foremost, is because we failed to score more than one goal.

Appleton needs to find a way to get these players scoring without weakening our already fairly shaky defence. It's going to be difficult to do considering the players at his disposal.

Josh King and new rm will improve our team immensely.

Archived