BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Agree - although, I'm very wary of getting sucked into comments.

Even though I wasn't happy with the appointment, due to his poor results record in Norway, I remember thinking at the outset that Berg was talking a good game too.

Seems like some of Appleton's backroom staff changes are good ones too.

I was the same with Berg I thought he spoke sense but don't forget we had to put up with Kean's bull for 2 years. I think we were that relieved to see the back of Kean anyone who came in would have sounded better !

As for Appleton, again we shouldn't get to carried away but he talks so much sense. After all the bull we have heard coming out of Ewood he is a breath of fresh air.

Unlike Berg Appleton is managing the club from top to bottom as well. He seems like he is in complete control.

I have still no idea who's decision it was to appoint him but I feel we have stumbled onto someone who knows his stuff, has a clear idea on how to run things and he won't talk or take any crap.

This season is about building for next season but for the first time in years I feel we have a "proper" manager in charge. Its a similar feeling I had when Big Sam took over from Ince. It just feels right.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree - although, I'm very wary of getting sucked into comments.

Even though I wasn't happy with the appointment, due to his poor results record in Norway, I remember thinking at the outset that Berg was talking a good game too.

Seems like some of Appleton's backroom staff changes are good ones too.

I think a lot of us (myself included) thought that Berg's no-nonsense approach as a player was going to translate into management. Just didn't happen. Berg's honesty might have been a refreshing break from bullsh** a la Kean, but he came across as a stolid, 'cerebral'-type of manager and not the type to whip an under performing squad into shape. The fact he was also willing to suffer Shebby's interference at the club also speaks volumes. Still have my doubts that Appleton has what it takes but I get the impression he's a horse of a slightly different colour.

I was the same with Berg I thought he spoke sense

Berg was more straight talking than Kean, but he was very non specific about issues.

Appleton has come out and said the squad is unbalanced and the recruitment policy has been awful. These are very specific and obviously things that he wants to address. Berg never did anything like that with his interviews.

Appleton's already putting words into action by appointing Luke Dowling and getting rid of Formica.

So Appleton states the obvious whilst simultaneously getting his excuses in early, and its a cause for celebration? I doubt he can do much about it in January, and if we don't even make the play-offs most of our best players will be going in the summer. So its a pretty pointless thing to say really, not to mention it risks unsettling the current players.

I suppose its nice to hear some straight talking, but it means pretty much nothing to me unless results follow.

I'm reserving judgement for now.

We are now on our second cull of players under the V's, millions and millions have been paid out, paying off contracts and dishing out NDA's like confetti. I'm waiting to see who they bring in tbh, if its a rake of 100k players and loans then my fears may well be realised.

I won't be impressed if we end up going from Samba to Wiseman in 26 months, but I will back MA even if I do think he's been brought in for a specific reason.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10184739.Rovers_boss_ready_to_shake_up_side_ahead_of_transfer_deadline_day/?ref=twt

Im liking the sound of this guy the more I read his comments

"Sometimes when I look at other sides and the balance of their squad I am quite jealous. That shows good recruitment."

Is this a dig a shabba the hut maybe?

Right barring one or two numpties and a few late arrivals all the supporters could all see the damage being done to the squad and the club over the past couple of years, now if Appleton can see the damage done inside a couple of weeks then how come all the clever beggars within the press and media couldn't see the havoc being wreaked by Kean and his buddy? ..... or could it be that the lot of em all pee in the same pot and were under strict instruction not to? :glare:

Guest Norbert

Appleton seems to have a clear idea about the squad, is able to select coaching staff, and may even be free from board members' interference. At least there may be some appearence of normality at the club for once.

Appleton seems to have a clear idea about the squad, is able to select coaching staff, and may even be free from board members' interference. At least there may be some appearence of normality at the club for once.

Really? Be careful Norbert! That was the level of authority bestowed on Kean by the Venkymob which allowed him and his bumchum to ride rough shod over the existing board and ruin the club whilst benefitting greatly from his position.

Guest Norbert

True, I was thinking that as I was typing Thenodrog, but then like all of us, I have such little confidence in our board, and our owners that someone who says sensible things and appears to have a clue seems like a better option. Hopefully Appleton doesn't have quite the influence and free reign that that obnoxious, pernicious, vile ex-manager had as power corrupts and all that.

It's just nice to have someone talking sense from within the club for once.

I was the same with Berg I thought he spoke sense but don't forget we had to put up with Kean's bull for 2 years. I think we were that relieved to see the back of Kean anyone who came in would have sounded better !

As for Appleton, again we shouldn't get to carried away but he talks so much sense. After all the bull we have heard coming out of Ewood he is a breath of fresh air.

Unlike Berg Appleton is managing the club from top to bottom as well. He seems like he is in complete control.

I have still no idea who's decision it was to appoint him but I feel we have stumbled onto someone who knows his stuff, has a clear idea on how to run things and he won't talk or take any crap.

This season is about building for next season but for the first time in years I feel we have a "proper" manager in charge. Its a similar feeling I had when Big Sam took over from Ince. It just feels right.

I agree with this. As someone who's default mode with Rovers is to be a "glass half full" fan [even though the last "manager" but one tested that optimism], I was particularly impressed by this

When we get to the summer and recruit the right staff, there will be a conveyor belt that continues for years and years so we will never fall short again.

comment. In addition to what others have picked out of the article in the "Telegraph", that comment in particular makes it sound to me like he's going to be with us for the long haul.

NDA's, are we still on that conspiracy theory? Imo, if there was something dodgy, then, all those who have been sacked, would have said @#/? it and spilled the beans. Also, I'm surprised the V's are still willing to spend cash, since they were snowballed by the fans.

Conspiracy ??

It's common knowledge that many players and people inc JW and TF signed NDA's

MrT why would they have done that, knowing that they would be booted out? Imo, if they really cared about the club, then they would have told Venkys to stuff their NDA's. Then again, its been a crazy 2 and a bit years, so I'm not surprised at all.

I even know the precise figures for some of them :)

Money talks, especially within football.

Even if he doesn't turn out to be the greatest manager, the owners would have learnt a hell if a lot from his interviews over the past couple if weeks, and he seems to be strengthening all the right areas in terms of staff aswel.

The guy is a breath of fresh air and I'm starting to feel like we are on the way to becoming a club we can be proud of again. A proper infrastructure is being put in place in terms of a coherent coaching and recruitment team.

This should see the end of having 100`s of players who can play in the hole but virtually having no cover in any other positions. We haven't got one right back for the game tomorrow!

The guy is a breath of fresh air and I'm starting to feel like we are on the way to becoming a club we can be proud of again. A proper infrastructure is being put in place in terms of a coherent coaching and recruitment team.

This should see the end of having 100`s of players who can play in the hole but virtually having no cover in any other positions. We haven't got one right back for the game tomorrow!

agree Rovers11.

This feels like the computer game Lemmings. No matter how many times Venkys march our support to a grisly outcome, some fans are always ridiculously enthusiastic and blindly optimistic that it won't happen this time. Its either an example of the wonder of the human spirit or the feebleness of the human memory.
I have to say I can't disagree. A few sound bites and stating the obvious says more about what's happened thus far than it does about Appletons capabilities as a manager.

Reserving judgement on him but remember this is a man who has won something like 15 out of 65 matches as a manager so far. You can talk all you want about circumstance just as people did with Bergs track record, but the only way I'll get remotely excited is if he starts winning lots of football matches. Until then, with that track record, I am still less than enthused that he's manager of our club - of course that opinion will change if his managerial record does.

This feels like the computer game Lemmings. No matter how many times Venkys march our support to a grisly outcome, some fans are always ridiculously enthusiastic and blindly optimistic that it won't happen this time. Its either an example of the wonder of the human spirit or the feebleness of the human memory.

I respect your opinion but don't you think recent appointments have been a step in the right direction? The club has fallen massively in the past 2 years and the personnel in the boardroom and management team were stronger back then - nobody is disputing that.

However, after having the best board in the country ripped apart, agents running the club, and having useless managers in Berg and Kean, we are now heading in a more sensible direction.

I have to say I can't disagree. A few sound bites and stating the obvious says more about what's happened thus far than it does about Appletons capabilities as a manager.

Reserving judgement on him but remember this is a man who has won something like 15 out of 65 matches as a manager so far. You can talk all you want about circumstance just as people did with Bergs track record, but the only way I'll get remotely excited is if he starts winning lots of football matches. Until then, with that track record, I am still less than enthused that he's manager of our club - of course that opinion will change if his managerial record does.

What you're failing to grasp is that we couldn't attract a proven manager because of the bizarre infrastructure at rovers where the manager had to work with the current coaching staff and didn't sign most of the players.

Regardless of whether Appleton turns out to be the right man or not, the fact he seems to have complete control over recruitment and coaching staff is hugely significant.

I respect your opinion but don't you think recent appointments have been a step in the right direction? The club has fallen massively in the past 2 years and the personnel in the boardroom and management team were stronger back then - nobody is disputing that.

However, after having the best board in the country ripped apart, agents running the club, and having useless managers in Berg and Kean, we are now heading in a more sensible direction.

What you're failing to grasp is that we couldn't attract a proven manager because of the bizarre infrastructure at rovers where the manager had to work with the current coaching staff and didn't sign most of the players.

Regardless of whether Appleton turns out to be the right man or not, the fact he seems to have complete control over recruitment and coaching staff is hugely significant.

Reports from several ITKs suggest that we could have done. And besides, even if that was the sticking point which stopped their appointment, doesn't mean I'm going to be happy we appointed Appleton does it? Surely appointing someone who has achieved so little in management without fixing the above structure you mentioned is a sign things aren't in fact going in the right direction?

• Backroom

This feels like the computer game SKHT. No matter how many times there's a little hint of positivity, some fans are always ridiculously doom&gloom and blindly negative that we'll feck up again. Its either an example of the wonder of the human stubbornness or the strength of stereotyping as a judgemental heuristic.

There are genuine signs that we may have a manager that can turn the club around and steadily build on a foundation. And please don't say 'its just like Berg', because it's sod all like Berg. Berg gave us platitudes and had the 'ex-player' vibe. Appleton has spoken of a plan, has put that plan into action and has brought in 2/3 staff members he trusts.

We aren't being unduly positive. We aren't Steve Keans. We don't support or advocate Venkys as owners. We just feel that for ONCE we have a manager that seems to know what needs doing and how to come about it. That is ten folds better than anything we've had for just over 2 years. GIVE US A BREAK!!!

This feels like the computer game SKHT. No matter how many times there's a little hint of positivity, some fans are always ridiculously doom&gloom and blindly negative that we'll feck up again. Its either an example of the wonder of the human stubbornness or the strength of stereotyping as a judgemental heuristic.

There are genuine signs that we may have a manager that can turn the club around and steadily build on a foundation. And please don't say 'its just like Berg', because it's sod all like Berg. Berg gave us platitudes and had the 'ex-player' vibe. Appleton has spoken of a plan, has put that plan into action and has brought in 2/3 staff members he trusts.

We aren't being unduly positive. We aren't Steve Keans. We don't support or advocate Venkys as owners. We just feel that for ONCE we have a manager that seems to know what needs doing and how to come about it. That is ten folds better than anything we've had for just over 2 years. GIVE US A BREAK!!!

All you've done is proven SKHT right.

Every time over the last two years theres been a bit of what seems like positivity the supposed "doom and gloom" merchants have been right though haven't they?

Hell even when we were all united in jubilation (when Kean left) even that turned out crap in the end. That was the best moment of the last two years, this is just our new manager stating the obvious about our squad.

This is similar to Berg in that we have appointed a manager with a pretty terrible results record. Until the guy starts massively changing those stats I won't see that much in the way of positives. Talk is cheap.

All you've done is proven SKHT right.

Every time over the last two years theres been a bit of what seems like positivity the supposed "doom and gloom" merchants have been right though haven't they?

Hell even when we were all united in jubilation (when Kean left) even that turned out crap in the end. That was the best moment of the last two years, this is just our new manager stating the obvious about our squad.

This is similar to Berg in that we have appointed a manager with a pretty terrible results record. Until the guy starts massively changing those stats I won't see that much in the way of positives. Talk is cheap.

Reports from several ITKs suggest that we could have done. And besides, even if that was the sticking point which stopped their appointment, doesn't mean I'm going to be happy we appointed Appleton does it? Surely appointing someone who has achieved so little in management without fixing the above structure you mentioned is a sign things aren't in fact going in the right direction?

I was very much of the opinion that it would have been impossible for any manager to be successful with the structure that was in place. You can't have a club where a board member brings in his own players without the knowledge of the manager. You can't manage when a board member replaces your fitness coach with an unknown. You also can't be successful if you sign players just because of who their agent is a la Ribiero and Myles Anderson. And so on.

The above goings on sound like they have stopped. Surely allowing a manager, regardless of whether he's experienced or not, to bring in his own coaching and scouting team as well as his own players is a step in the right direction? I certainly think it's better than the above goings on?

Bringing in an experienced manager and giving him the same freedom as Appleton would have been better but it's still a step in the right direction.

+ Any number with several '0's at the end of it.

Archived