BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Backroom
Three games. Have I missed one? ;-)

If it was 2 wins out of 2 it would be pointed out on every post. Just saying

Unfortunate but true haha. Tonight left me very encouraged with a much improved performance :) I'll stick to my prediction of 7pts from his 1st 4 league games (so 6pts from the next 2, please!)

I'll take stability, consistency and effort this season though. Keep solid and charge on next year, hopefully.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Three games. Have I missed one? ;-)

If it was 2 wins out of 2 it would be pointed out on every post. Just saying

No you've missed 63 games. Its completely nonsensical to ignore a manager's previous record. But hey, plenty of people on here seem to be brilliant at doing it and it never did us any harm with Berg so lets crack on eh. So far so good.

No you've missed 63 games. Its completely nonsensical to ignore a manager's previous record. But hey, plenty of people on here seem to be brilliant at doing it and it never did us any harm with Berg so lets crack on eh. So far so good.

You have spent the last week saying it's obvious the manager is at fault as the player did not play for him, but they did under bowyer. So they played for him tonight where do you stand?

• Backroom

Christ, if Scarlett Johansson was spread-eagled naked and handcuffed on your bed, you'd complain she broke in.

Let people take positives where there ARE some, will you? We dominated a heavily fancied Brighton side and one player made a very costly mistake. But ofc, Appleton instructed Badcock to shove everyone in sight didn't he?

Oh well let's give up now, not bother with any hope for the future, slice off our testicles, feed them to our dogs and eat the resultant turds.

He has two caps for his country so clearly good enough for his country but not the 2nd division in his country? By the way I am not totally disagreeing with what you are saying, only stating that Appleton has seen him in training and is giving him a chance-lets see what happens. Same goes for Orr, most of our players have looked poor maybe if they are managed properly they may show us their actual qualities?

He has played in two friendlies(both away) against Qatar and Bahrain where only players from the swedish league(might have been some from the danish/norwegian league also) where selected.

These games where played the same month as he signed for Rovers(Jan 12).

In an important game like WQ or EQ he would be nowhere near the squad so don't get stuck on those two caps.

We were robbed tonight but I am happy as the remainder of the season is about becoming a well drilled side who is difficult to beat in preparation for next season. From what I could tell from the commentary, Brighton were not able to create any real chances yet they usually create hatfuls.

Tonight, we were rock solid and well drilled. Appleton will get us strong in that department. With King, Henley and Best to come back plus a new cm, rm, and defender to come in I think we'll be very strong next season.

Massive fan of Appleton.

Agree 100% rovers11.

good tactics by Appleton last night.

good step forward tonight with our defensive set up n shape. never look in danger of Brighton scoring until penalty.

Appleton blue n white army!!!!

Credit where it's due, it sounds like Appleton set us up well last night. Kept it tight and the first 11 were at full capacity.

However his choice of substitution(s) was an absolute stinker. Goodwillie when 1-0 up makes no sense whatsoever. I'd also wager that if we'd chucked another sub on in injury time (Givet) then the ref would have blown before the pen. Plenty to learn for Appleton from the last ten minutes.

Christ, if Scarlett Johansson was spread-eagled naked and handcuffed on your bed, you'd complain she broke in.

Let people take positives where there ARE some, will you? We dominated a heavily fancied Brighton side and one player made a very costly mistake. But ofc, Appleton instructed Badcock to shove everyone in sight didn't he?

Oh well let's give up now, not bother with any hope for the future, slice off our testicles, feed them to our dogs and eat the resultant turds.

brilliant!!

In many ways Appleton is in a very enviable position. With the club becalmed in midtable he has 18 games in which to assess the present squad and bed in any new signings he may make this month with a view to hitting the ground running at the start of next season. The introduction of Pedersen and Markus Olsson made us look much better in terms of balance which suggests he knows what he wants in terms of formations.

This season is clearly over in terms of a promotion challenge and the owners now need to allow Appleton to develop the playing side of things in the way he wants. I don't know if Appleton will prove to be the right man for the job or not but he must be given time to turn things around. The time to judge him will be in eighteen months time and until that point he needs the full support of everyone at the club. The chopping and changing that we have seen this season has completely undermined the whole campaign.

Playing devils advocate but......

What if, say after 10 games, Appleton has the same record as Berg? Do we just keep our eyes closed, cross our fingers and toes and hope he turns it around?

We are already downgrading his projected performance after some strangely wet their undercrackers about him possibly winning 4 home games on the spin......

This is followed by 3 truly awful away games

In many ways Appleton is in a very enviable position. With the club becalmed in midtable he has 18 games in which to assess the present squad and bed in any new signings he may make this month with a view to hitting the ground running at the start of next season. The introduction of Pedersen and Markus Olsson made us look much better in terms of balance which suggests he knows what he wants in terms of formations.

This season is clearly over in terms of a promotion challenge and the owners now need to allow Appleton to develop the playing side of things in the way he wants. I don't know if Appleton will prove to be the right man for the job or not but he must be given time to turn things around. The time to judge him will be in eighteen months time and until that point he needs the full support of everyone at the club. The chopping and changing that we have seen this season has completely undermined the whole campaign.

+1

The "glass-half-full fan" in me would like to think this season might go on to the Play-offs, but generally, I agree with what you've written, Parson.

Taking on board what Blue and White Army's written as potentially true, I think it's less likely with Appleton than Berg who, for whatever reason, didn't bring in a support team of his own people. I just sense in Appleton someone who knows what he wants to do for this club and seems to me, in these early days, to be going the right way about things.

As some advertising copywriter wrote for Michael Winner, "Calm down, dears."

Evidence last night that Appleton or someone has had a word with Jordan Rhodes. For all his quality in the box he is pretty useless with his back to goal and two big centre halves looming over him. Last night I noticed him running much wider to get the ball and in doing so dragging the centre halves out of position and creating space for other players to run in to. If Rhodes is looking to improve that is the part of his game which has most room for it. Be interesting to see if it continues.

King will be back as left winger against Derby.

Then I really hope we can get Bentley in at right wing and then buy a good central midfelder. Also we need Dawson as centre back.

agree with this. we need 2 or 3 players in now.

tho Hanley n Dann look a good partnership at centre back

Was apprehensive about the appointment of Appleton, but is warming to him. He is the type we need in this division, a strong leader which will not accept slack from the players. Similar to what Souness was when we got promoted. He has also identified the unbalanced squad and failed recruitment policy, so if he now seemingly get control over the transfers I much more positive for NEXT season.

Promotion is not going to happen this season as this squad will never be able to sustain a run of results to the play offs. Even if we did you know it would be an overtime penalty kick breaking our hearts anyway.

Was listening to the game on radio and must admit although the goal at the death was a killer blow I cringed at the sound of boos from some sections of the crowd at the full time whistle.

Whilst it was not the result we were after it sounded like the players put a real shift in and regardless of the result that is all we really ask of them.

It seems as though Appleton has been able to earn the trust of the players over a very limited period of time and the early signs do look promising. I think a fair judgement would be over 10 games. 2 down, 8 to go. Whilst he has not set the world alight, I like what I see and hear so far.

Was listening to the game on radio and must admit although the goal at the death was a killer blow I cringed at the sound of boos from some sections of the crowd at the full time whistle.

Whilst it was not the result we were after it sounded like the players put a real shift in and regardless of the result that is all we really ask of them.

It seems as though Appleton has been able to earn the trust of the players over a very limited period of time and the early signs do look promising. I think a fair judgement would be over 10 games. 2 down, 8 to go. Whilst he has not set the world alight, I like what I see and hear so far.

Mate come on think about it a bit eh ! Bad ref plays unwarranted length of injury time and gives oppo a pen then gets quite rightly booed off NOT the players !

Mate come on think about it a bit eh ! Bad ref plays unwarranted length of injury time and gives oppo a pen then gets quite rightly booed off NOT the players !

Correct. That injury time was down to the Brighton players histrionics and play acting. I might be wrong but I can't rem our trainer even going on the pitch. There was an audible gasp when 5 mins extra time was announced.

Playing devils advocate but......

What if, say after 10 games, Appleton has the same record as Berg? Do we just keep our eyes closed, cross our fingers and toes and hope he turns it around?

We are already downgrading his projected performance after some strangely wet their undercrackers about him possibly winning 4 home games on the spin......

This is followed by 3 truly awful away games

Playing devils advocate but....

What if say you actually posted something sensible.

What if say you actually attend a game and see what really happens on the pitch

What say if you actually stop winding people up

What say if you actually supported the team.

It's not injury time but stoppage time. There was some time wasting by Rovers players later on the second half and the ballon head who wouldn't throw the ball back seemed to rile the referee who stood tapping his watch whilst this was happening. There were also three substitions and several cautions. I thought the five minutes was about right and whilst the referee was poor to blame him is wrong. If we cant see a game out against an average team then questions need to be asked about the players and management.

It's not injury time but stoppage time. There was some time wasting by Rovers players later on the second half and the ballon head who wouldn't throw the ball back seemed to rile the referee who stood tapping his watch whilst this was happening. There were also three substitions and several cautions. I thought the five minutes was about right and whilst the referee was poor to blame him is wrong. If we cant see a game out against an average team then questions need to be asked about the players and management.

Once a ref, always a ref, eh ref? :)

Regardless of whether the 5 minutes was justified, the only person who warrants blame is Goodwillie, I think to look elsewhere would be wrong.

If we cant see a game out against an average team then questions need to be asked about the players and management.

Was that the case last night, the team couldn't see the game out or was it a stupid mistake by one player who hadn't been on the pitch that long?

If there was any possibility of Bentley and Dawson, with a decent central midfielder, this would improve the side ten-fold.

That said, last night was promising and the most organised and committed performance we've seen for a while.

Not bad for his 2nd game in charge.

Early days, but I do get a good feeling about MA.

Archived