BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Seriously? You think it's reasonable to judge a manager after 3 games? You don't believe that Appleton has overcome tough times in his football career?

You didn't say reasonable, in the post I responded to, you said "only a fantasist".

Different kettle of fish.

Flip it on it's head. Do you think that 2 or 3 games is enough to suggest that we have turned a corner? I'd say not. That's not being a fantasist, it's reality. And bitter experience.

I am pleased to hear some of Appleton's comments but I'm mindful enough, after the crap we have had for the last two years, combined with the fact that a new PR firm is strategising over every press release to give me reason to be cautious.

If they really wanted to back someone, why didn't they go for an experienced manager, rather than another punt? Because Appleton was the cheaper option.

That on it's own is enough to be concerned about. But I will give him a chance. It's not like we have much of a choice - hence why I agreed with your first sentence.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't remember anyone praising Kean's signings, especially not when we could see the good players leaving the club. i don't remember getting starry eyed about Berg because he was an ex player. . that still doesn't mean that someone telling it how it is isn't refreshing. We all know we have an unbalanced squad, but we've been lied to about it over several years. we all know we haven't had a strong midfield since goodness only knows when, but nobody has addressed it before or come out agreeing with us. we all know we have too many fancy lightweight players and no real grafters with Championship experience, but we seemed to be doomed to only bring in that kind of player with an influx of young portuguese players and nobody with any decent experience. People are only getting a bit enthusiastic about it because the manager for once is telling it like we see it. Can he put it right? who knows? will he be allowed to put it right? Again who knows? But it is nice to just feel that someone is at least recognising that these are problems and that is why the slight positivity, because if he can back his words with actions, if he can bring in the players that might start to make a difference, if he can keep some of our better players and get them playing to potential then we might just be onto a winner. words are cheap yes, but how long is it since anyone ever said those words? Time will tell with appleton, but I want to wait and see and whilst I'm doing that, because really there's nothing else we can do, I'm going to enjoy every bit of positive i can.

+100

Rock on Gumboots!

The only thing I will say is that for the first time in two years a structure is being put in place as opposed to be destroyed.

If anyone thinks that this is about what happens over 90 minutes of a match then they are seriously naive. The back room staff, sports science people, fitness coaches, scouts are vital for the medium to long term success of our team.

It may take months but we now need to see this out...

The only thing I will say is that for the first time in two years a structure is being put in place as opposed to be destroyed.

If anyone thinks that this is about what happens over 90 minutes of a match then they are seriously naive. The back room staff, sports science people, fitness coaches, scouts are vital for the medium to long term success of our team.

It may take months but we now need to see this out...

Bowyer and McPhilips had a structure and wait for it...... got the results .

There is also the element of what each of us consider acceptable. For me signing a journeyman championship midfielder that can do the hard graft would be a positive step but many will view it negatively as it doesn't show ambition for the future.

Results matter - but again what is acceptable? If the starting point is that "we are a top half premiership club" then a 1 in 3 ratio in the championship is never going to satisfy. Likewise being overjoyed that the players are actually putting in some effort is sort of ridiculous - but demonstrates how bad things have been.

Me i think MA talks a good game and has made some good decisions (including the PR) in his short time at the helm. Now he needs a couple of wins just to put some weight behind those words.

Actually they didn't have a structure - but they did get the results.

Or hugely dangerous! Rem even if he is as honest as the dfay is long Appleton only has a playing and coaching background and will still very inexperienced in many aspects of football management. I suggest that he is prob carrying a level of naivety commesurate with his age. In short we are trusting a man to drive the careereing and almost out of control Blackburn bus who is still effectively wearing green 'L' plates.

All this is very true Theno. But doesnt it make a whole lot more sense to you than anything we've heard or seen over the last 2+ years? I think we all accept he is wet behind the ears. But he has pinpointed the major weaknesses in the squad and seems to be taking very logical steps to improve them. I know i personally am not entirely convinced he is the best man for the job. However, having become used to poor and morally questionable people running the club, i see something in Appleton which rings a bell. It strikes a chord. It reminds me of something which was starting to become a distant memory. Oh yeh, thats it, an effin football manager!! He isn't pandering to the Championship Manger generation and promising a prettier brand of football and a glut of flair and creative type players. He is talking about trimming the excessive squad, ridding ourselves of those not fit for purpose and dare i say off the back of only two games, but making us hard to beat again.

He might turn out to be bobbins. But he does seem to talk sense and that is a quality which has long been lacking at Ewood. Even if he fails he'll have done so being a proper football manager. As things were we were failing and all the while we invited ridicule for making utterly bewildering decisions. I hope he is given the chance to make a go of it and if things don't go to plan i just pray that the owners realise there is some worth to doing things by the book rather than listening to the fantasy ramblings of one chancer after another.

There is also the element of what each of us consider acceptable. For me signing a journeyman championship midfielder that can do the hard graft would be a positive step but many will view it negatively as it doesn't show ambition for the future.

Results matter - but again what is acceptable? If the starting point is that "we are a top half premiership club" then a 1 in 3 ratio in the championship is never going to satisfy. Likewise being overjoyed that the players are actually putting in some effort is sort of ridiculous - but demonstrates how bad things have been.

Me i think MA talks a good game and has made some good decisions (including the PR) in his short time at the helm. Now he needs a couple of wins just to put some weight behind those words.

Actually they didn't have a structure - but they did get the results.

You didnt pay attention.

• Backroom

Correct. Apart from the structure bit, as they had less structure than when we had Kean or Berg.

Bowyer didn't want the job or the media attention associated with it, though. End of story, surely?

Correct. Apart from the structure bit, as they had less structure than when we had Kean or Berg.

Bowyer didn't want the job or the media attention associated with it, though. End of story, surely?

It could have been end of story come the end of january but then if team Bowyer/McPhilips had gotten the results, how embarrassing would that have been replacing a successful team for some lesser know manager.

+100

Rock on Gumboots!

And another +100 from me as well.

To openly criticise what has gone on over the last two years is a first - from anyone at the club. That alone deserves praise. Is he good enough? Can he get results with this squad? This unbalanced squad. Who knows? But for his frankness he deserves our support at the very least. Even an idiot can see this will take time. (6 Portugeezers, Etuhu, many more, on long term contracts; we can't keep paying players up just to leave - we're not Man City).

Lets hope certain people at the club remain in the background and don't undermine him.

• Backroom
It could have been end of story come the end of january but then if team Bowyer/McPhilips had gotten the results, how embarrassing would that have been replacing a successful team for some lesser know manager.

Y'know, I'd love to debate that, but it's something I do wonder at times.

That being said, I'm happy with the noises Appleton is making so far and the steps he's taken to match those words. But it was something of a reckless appointment nonetheless.

I don't remember anyone praising Kean's signings, especially not when we could see the good players leaving the club. i don't remember getting starry eyed about Berg because he was an ex player. . that still doesn't mean that someone telling it how it is isn't refreshing. We all know we have an unbalanced squad, but we've been lied to about it over several years. we all know we haven't had a strong midfield since goodness only knows when, but nobody has addressed it before or come out agreeing with us. we all know we have too many fancy lightweight players and no real grafters with Championship experience, but we seemed to be doomed to only bring in that kind of player with an influx of young portuguese players and nobody with any decent experience. People are only getting a bit enthusiastic about it because the manager for once is telling it like we see it. Can he put it right? who knows? will he be allowed to put it right? Again who knows? But it is nice to just feel that someone is at least recognising that these are problems and that is why the slight positivity, because if he can back his words with actions, if he can bring in the players that might start to make a difference, if he can keep some of our better players and get them playing to potential then we might just be onto a winner. words are cheap yes, but how long is it since anyone ever said those words? Time will tell with appleton, but I want to wait and see and whilst I'm doing that, because really there's nothing else we can do, I'm going to enjoy every bit of positive i can.

Absolutely right Gumboots......a perfect summation of the situation so far. I would also just like to add one more point that nobody seems to give him credit for, and that is the fact that in the space of just about 1 week since his appointment he has managed to form his opinion on the main problem areas that need addressing, including the strengths and weaknesses of his squad, and arrived at a plan to strengthen our squad, and to tackle other important issues such as fitness, and attitude.

That is a remarkable achievement in so short a time, and it has not been equalled by any of our managers since Allardyce left us. And it is no good anyone saying it is only what we all knew anyway.......the point is Appleton DID NOT know it and had to discover all these things for himself which he did very quickly and is STILL working on it. For God's sake people give the man due credit and stop moaning!!!

Absolutely right Gumboots......a perfect summation of the situation so far. I would also just like to add one more point that nobody seems to give him credit for, and that is the fact that in the space of just about 1 week since his appointment he has managed to form his opinion on the main problem areas that need addressing, including the strengths and weaknesses of his squad, and arrived at a plan to strengthen our squad, and to tackle other important issues such as fitness, and attitude.

That is a remarkable achievement in so short a time, and it has not been equalled by any of our managers since Allardyce left us. And it is no good anyone saying it is only what we all knew anyway.......the point is Appleton DID NOT know it and had to discover all these things for himself which he did very quickly and is STILL working on it. For God's sake people give the man due credit and stop moaning!!!

Completely agree and it's going to take time to rebuild the complete wreck that has been left by Kean & co but at last it does appear that somebody has finally got the bit between his teeth and is in the process of doing just that. So we won't win every game (with this lot no manager could produce that) but I venture to say wins will be more and more often as progress continues under Appleton. I'm looking to next year as the one to really be exc

ting as I can see a Rovers revival in the making.

Incidentally I liked Bowyer but to the people saying he had structure, rubbish, that last game aginst a very poor Wolves the team were absolute crap and the substitutions totally wrong, Rovers were very lucky to get a draw that day.

+1. He also appears to be allowed to bring in his own men who will bring depth and discipline to the organization. To quote a well worn term. This is a project. The outcome will be either a promotion chasing team or solidify our position as a mid level championship team. I hope it is the former.

What structure? We had no one in charge of the reserve team, lack of scouting, no sports science people and Shebby Singh fighting with Shaw.

Now we have a manager with an assistant, a fitness coach, someone in charge of recruitment and someone who is Chief Executive...and no sign of Shebby.

A few results would not be able to mask (long term) the lack of fitness of the players, the imbalance of the squad, the interference of Shebby. At the moment (it seems at least) we have the above and it may not be ideal but its a million times better than before.

What structure? We had no one in charge of the reserve team, lack of scouting, no sports science people and Shebby Singh fighting with Shaw.

Now we have a manager with an assistant, a fitness coach, someone in charge of recruitment and someone who is Chief Executive...and no sign of Shebby.

A few results would not be able to mask (long term) the lack of fitness of the players, the imbalance of the squad, the interference of Shebby. At the moment (it seems at least) we have the above and it may not be ideal but its a million times better than before.

Structure of the team and how they performed and interacted with each other including the subs.

I have refrained from posting on this manager issue as I was of the opinion that Berg would have done OK, but there was interference in what Berg was doing, however, I was always taught when taking up an appointment was to analyse the situation, prepare a plan of action and to implement it, Appleton has done that so all credit to him as on the surface it really does appear to be the correct line of action.

Whilst you are correct in many ways Fife, I am of the belief that managers and coaches speak to each other and my guess would be this, despite the increase in salary Appleton will enjoy at Rovers, he will have been aware of the problems and the way to resolve them, he is backing a winner here as he knows the problems, has followed two unsuccessful managers and as such is giving himself every chance to be a success, personally, I think it will need a really good pre season, I dont know too much about the quality of the fitness and conditioning coach, but on paper he is not overly qualified, however he may come good, along with a good balanced squad and organisation, we could by default, have found ourselves a decent manager!

Have to say that after the initial disappointed at the appointment of Appleton, i'm now quietly warming to him. Unlike kean he seems to have already identified what our problems our and is addressing them.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/10184739.Rovers_boss_ready_to_shake_up_side_ahead_of_transfer_deadline_day/

mind you it is early days yet.

Whilst I can understand people's feelings over what's been said so far, the actions to date have not been strong. Everyone with a copy of FM 2013 could point out those issues and I await a resolution from a man with a shocking track record. Yes it's good to have positions being filled but I'd feel so much better if they weren't all his old mates from pompey and had been chosen on ability/track record. It must be refreshing for people to hear what they've been asking for, but at the same time we've heard words under Venky's many times and they've always been hollow. We'll wait and see what transpires, but I'm far from dancing from the rooftops about things so far.

Whilst I can understand people's feelings over what's been said so far, the actions to date have not been strong. Everyone with a copy of FM 2013 could point out those issues and I await a resolution from a man with a shocking track record. Yes it's good to have positions being filled but I'd feel so much better if they weren't all his old mates from pompey and had been chosen on ability/track record. It must be refreshing for people to hear what they've been asking for, but at the same time we've heard words under Venky's many times and they've always been hollow. We'll wait and see what transpires, but I'm far from dancing from the rooftops about things so far.

I don't think he has a shocking track record. Though he hasn't done anything outstanding. At pompey he was on a hiding to nothing. Blackpool - who had been on a bad run - he steadied the ship. Ok he has brought in folk from pompey - maybe sticking to those has worked with before and trusts to do so again. Which considering he is not that experienced in management, is not a bad idea imo.

But what matters is action, as you rightly say. It is a results based business afterall.

Archived