BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Appleton is definitely talking a good game and it's good to know that he is installing his own coaching and recruitment structure. That reads well for me on and off the pitch.

Today's win will see an people over-react and hail him as the saviour; equally a defeat in a weeks time will see more comparisons with Berg's reign. For me, we have to wait and see on this one. He could be the next Mourinho and he could easily be Henning Berg all over again.

And even if you can't support him enjoy today - Rovers won away and Shebby hasn't spoken for more than a fortnight.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some of you people are ****ing ridiculous, all you do is complain, we have been organised and a tough side to beat under appleton so far, the man speaks sense, and he is addressing all the issues that the managers prior to him have left in their wake, so y on earth are you still not happy????, he is doing his job and in some style might i say, 3-0 still in the cup at the fifth round, first time we have done that since 2009, be positive for once in your sad little lives and maybe just maybe something positive will happen. cmon rovers!!!

As I have been saying all along, got a real good feeling about Appy.

Technically, the guy is good, the England manager has endorsed that, talks a lot of sense and has a no nonsense approach.

To quote Nicko, I think we have a gem !

Some people are just willing Appleton to fail so they can then say "I was right, I told you so"

Give the guy a chance FFS!!!

There does appear to be a smug, self-congratulatory attitude by some posters who want to get their 'I told you sos' in early. I'm an Appleton-sceptic but like any manager at Rovers I'll give him enough rope to either swing like a star or hang himself. Funnily enough, there is a middle-ground between unbridled optimism and complete pessimism.

Apparently you're one of the more popular posters around here but after what we've been through the last couple of years I doubt you'll find anyone who is bothered about that!

More a general obervation than related to Maji, but there is very little correlation between "popular" and "good" posters on here. Though in some cases you'll find a strong inverse correlation.

He's the one coming out stating the obvious and talking big. If he can back up what he preaches then fine, until then If I was him I would keep quiet and focus on the pitch.

You really are an idiot, When has Appleton talked big? He's stated what has been obvious to most fans for the last 2 years. lack of balance in the squad, plenty of talent, but no structure or organisation. Appleton has already begun to address these issues, and a 3-0 win away to a competent Derby team is a fantastic result.

Extremely disillusioned with life under Appleton so far, not so much results but the style of play and the players he's picking.

I thought under Berg at least we had at least swiftly and correctly identified players with no future such as Pedersen Orr Goodwillie and Marcus Olsson and started to give players with talent like Henley Rochina and Vuckevic their head.

So this is Pedersen and Olsson Mk2 - that both sounded like they played ok. I would be interested who you would have played centre midfield in the absence of Lowe (covering for right back - which funnily enough he won't need to do when Orr is back).

Bottom line - he has to assess the squad - and see which play best to his preferred style of football. I get the impression that he is getting the team to play Championship football - rather than playing our way out of the division - which obviously wasn't working.

His record is almost as good as Keans. It doesn't matter where he cut his cloth, he was happy to take the job and knew the circumstances. Look at Blackpool, decent team and whilst Holloway (when committed) had them firing, Appy managed a couple of wins and plenty of draws. Hardly fireworks and not inspiring. Blackpool were on a bad run - under Holloway - when he was appointed there. he stopped that run. Yes with draws and a few wins. But they were against the in form teams at the time. You cannot surely compare the cards that Kean got dealt with when he started for Rovers. To what appleton got at pompey

Almost everyone in football follows the pattern of hiring their mates, it's without doubt one of the games failings. Yes you need people you can trust but trust can be built, ability and talent not to the same degree.

That's what I want to see as well. Personally I'm sick and tired of reading and hearing comments from whoever at the club, after the last 2-3 years of words, it's time for actions and preferably on the pitch and 'positive' ones.

Extremely disillusioned with life under Appleton so far, not so much results but the style of play and the players he's picking.

I thought under Berg at least we had at least swiftly and correctly identified players with no future such as Pedersen Orr Goodwillie and Marcus Olsson and started to give players with talent like Henley Rochina and Vuckevic their head.

Gary Bowyer carried this progression on AND got results. Appleton seems determined to bring all the dross in from the cold.

Appleton hasn't got results and more importantly imo the style of play is extremely boring and negative, the reason we didn't pick up 3 points against Brighton was that we made no real attempt to go for a 2nd goal and kill the game off.

He's talking a great game off the pitch, on it he's doing exactly the opposite of what you would hope or expect.

As I post this were one up at Derby in the Cup, will we go onto convert, or sit back and let it slip again?

There really is no hope for the club with posts like this. Don't remember Bowyer winning 3-0 anywhere. Bet you're gutted we went on and won 3-0. As for praising Berg, hahahahaha. Well done to MA, the 1st decent manager we've had in 2 years.

That's what I want to see as well. Personally I'm sick and tired of reading and hearing comments from whoever at the club, after the last 2-3 years of words, it's time for actions and preferably on the pitch and 'positive' ones.

+1 PAFELL

I am pleased at the win, now lets get a few in the league. Not happy about King at all as we need wide players with pace at present and it is @#/? poor by whoever said he was ready to start.

Unfortunately in the modern game results aren't the be all and end all and punters will want to be entertained. I'd be far more on board if his previous results at other clubs were better and wait with baited breath as Ince and philips are hardly poor wingers. We'll have to wait and see what transpires and I hope he does well but I don't like the hiring of all his mates from Pompey as regardless of circumstance they failed miserably there. Filling the roles great, but we should have been looking for better IMO.

You forgot to mention squad value

:glare:

There really is no hope for the club with posts like this. Don't remember Bowyer winning 3-0 anywhere. Bet you're gutted we went on and won 3-0. As for praising Berg, hahahahaha. Well done to MA, the 1st decent manager we've had in 2 years.

+100

BBCSport: Blackburn boss Michael Appleton: "I don't have a budget as such but I am sure the owners would support me for the right players." #BRFC

Bloody 'ell. No budget?

Let's be having Neymar & Ribery, plz.

As I have been saying all along, got a real good feeling about Appy.

Technically, the guy is good, the England manager has endorsed that, talks a lot of sense and has a no nonsense approach.

To quote Nicko, I think we have a gem !

Agree with this, came on to say something similar.

The more I listen to Appleton and see the way he sets his team up the more he reminds me of Gordon Lee. Appleton, like Lee, seems straightforward and not the type to take any of the rubbish that Shebby and co have been coming out with this season. He has surrounded himself with his own backroom staff and the players seem to be responding to him. The team looks to be better balanced and like Lee he seems to set much store in the work ethic. I thought the players really worked for each other today and there seemed to be a good spirit amongst them. Pedersen had another excellent game in midfield and Appleton clearly values players who are prepared to put a shift in. Young Markus Olsson might not be the most gifted but he certainly worked up and down his wing today to provide support for both the attack and defence. It's early days but I must say that I find Appleton increasingly impressive and hopefully the owners will continue to give him his head to control the football side of things. I don't expect him to get us into the play-offs this season but, hopefully, he will be able to use the rest of this campaign to develop a team that will hit the ground running in August.

Great win today, but early days yet. I've learned not to get my hopes up where Rovers are concerned anymore!

The next 2 games is where it counts, let's hope to follow up today with 3 points against both Bristol and Ipswich - 2 home games that you would expect to gain maximum points.

You need to give the guy a couple of months at least before you start to proclaim him as the best manager we have had for years. Hasn't everyone learned from recent Rovers history?

Is it wrong to heed caution? I don’t think it is, though if people want to get really excited after a few games that's their prerogative, I would rather wait and see what unfolds.

• Backroom
You need to give the guy a couple of months at least before you start to proclaim him as the best manager we have had for years. Hasn't everyone learned from recent Rovers history?

Is it wrong to heed caution? I dont think it is, though if people want to cream their pants after a few games that's their prerogative, I would rather wait and see what unfolds.

The only two 'sides' on this forum that I can see are cautious optimism and 'he's gunna be @#/?'.

Archived