BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

I'm losing the will at the moment. The minute we have a good win, start feeling good about Rovers again, the rumours start.

Please can some ITK, or rumour spreader, or whatever, PLEASE state why we have to have a cloud of doubt around our current manager.

And, to think, last night I went to bed happy about Rovers for the first time in years.

I (and I suspect thousands of other Rovers fans) couldn't give a flying one whether he has no agent, one agent or 10 agents. What does it matter?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I (and I suspect thousands of other Rovers fans) couldn't give a flying one whether he has no agent, one agent or 10 agents. What does it matter?

It only matters because if he has and said he hasn't then he's lying and we've had enough lies to last a lifetime. And of course if his agent is a certain nameless one then we have every right to be concerned. Otherwise you are right. It doesn't matter one jot.

Agents, or agencies, have played a key role in destroying our club - just interesting to know if 'Appy' was perhaps telling a little mistruth in his first presser.

I understand that, but really who cares if he gets results?

Mischief making for me.

• Backroom

Well from what I can gather, it seems Appleton has a solicitor who helps with his financial matters. He just play yhe role of an agent but instead of charging a cut of Appleton's wage, he may just charge the usual lawyer fee?

So he's a lawyer doing agents' dutys, I suppose. Nothing untoward imo. Just the usual itk scaremongering at the first sign of positivity.

It is a concern that needs clearing up. If Ben Mansford is his agent,

he is also a director of WMG, Who's Vice President is Dan Potts - Football Consultant at SEM / Kentaro Group.

Oh ffs. Sem and wmg are different companies under the kentaro umbrella. It's like refusing to buy a VW because you once had a dodgy audi!

Do you really think so ? Most fans want to win matches - end of story.

Please read Den's post below.

Winning football games should come 1st before entertainment

Maj, are you unhappy with who Appleton has bought in on the coaching staff???

Chris Nevilie as fitness coach and works with the England senior squad.

Most of us wanted the new manager to bring in his own coaching staff. Appleton has done this and now people are moaning about it.

Appleton is bring in staff he knows and trusts.

Just need Appleton to appoint a first team coach which he is doing by next week.

Graham Taylor managed England should we listen to his opinion on things??? Woy is a loyal type, just look at every appointment within the england camp and at the FA since he took over. What has he achieved with England?, Inter? Blackburn, WBA and so on. If he was as notable as SAF then you'd sit-up, but he isn't. Woy has failed at every big job since he took the swiss to glory. I'll wait and see how things go but I am entitled to judge based on what I know.

you just have to look at the best clubs in the world and how they structure the science side of things. The man at the top doesn't really coach but he is an expert min PhD and knows the science in side out. Beneath him you place coaches who are strong scientifically but good at motivating and pushing players as without this the science won't work. Just look at clubs who have adopted a strong science approach here? Bolton were first, those people departed to chelsea and everton both are very strong still. You see the trouble is the science moves very quickly and changes every year, those who are not keeping up to date are left behind and a few years down the line are out-dated in their methods. The best qualification at Rovers at present is a 2:1, decent but it's basic and will be massively out of date already. I'll always remember a chat with a member of staff at Rovers when he was asked how they catered for a hot science topic at the time the interference effect, the response, whats that? You see british sports science is the best in the world. just look at the olympics and all that came about after the committee shafted british sports science and they all emigrated to open the Manchester built Australian institute of sports. They learn form there mistakes and look at the British games medal totals. Football is so far behind in the science aspect and always will be as it's not about ability it's about mates.

As long as I've been watching rovers, rovers win, gates rise. Rovers lose, gates drop. Winning is entertaining, losing is soul destroying.

Entertainment is defined by the individual and will be different for all. Gates are down at a lot of clubs in the area and reading their forums people are citing they don't like the football being played and won't stump up for it in the current climate.

Better get a ticket to the circus if thats what you want.

I was thinking about taking up Golf actually, I hear Lancs United have a cracking 18 holes near-by. And to think you walked away in the good old days?

As I have been saying all along, got a real good feeling about Appy.

Technically, the guy is good, the England manager has endorsed that, talks a lot of sense and has a no nonsense approach.

To quote Nicko, I think we have a gem !

Steve Kean was a gem in his eyes as was Coyle, Cracking judgement. please read chaddys reply

His record is almost as good as Keans. It doesn't matter where he cut his cloth, he was happy to take the job and knew the circumstances. Look at Blackpool, decent team and whilst Holloway (when committed) had them firing, Appy managed a couple of wins and plenty of draws. Hardly fireworks and not inspiring. Blackpool were on a bad run - under Holloway - when he was appointed there. he stopped that run. Yes with draws and a few wins. But they were against the in form teams at the time. You cannot surely compare the cards that Kean got dealt with when he started for Rovers. To what appleton got at pompey

Almost everyone in football follows the pattern of hiring their mates, it's without doubt one of the games failings. Yes you need people you can trust but trust can be built, ability and talent not to the same degree.

That's what I want to see as well. Personally I'm sick and tired of reading and hearing comments from whoever at the club, after the last 2-3 years of words, it's time for actions and preferably on the pitch and 'positive' ones.

If you want to go down that route then I'll ask again how Blackpool were doing when Holloway was 100% commited to the job and not skipping training left right and center??? Holloway was angling for a while to escape and you want to use that to judge a man. I'm fairly certain Holloway had them flying when he was focused, appy got 3 wins and 7 draws (?), I'll wait and see but yes I am disappointed with his appointment and surprised as a lot of my friends were. I wanted experience or a top young manager with experience under some of the best ala Hughes.

There really is no hope for the club with posts like this. Don't remember Bowyer winning 3-0 anywhere. Bet you're gutted we went on and won 3-0. As for praising Berg, hahahahaha. Well done to MA, the 1st decent manager we've had in 2 years.

Are you a gold-fish?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20841007

Whilst it's good that we've won and people think things are better, I'm gobsmacked people aren't heading caution. Others have pointed out his record to date and regardless of circumstance no-one in football takes a job to fail, they all believe they can do anything. One could quite easily cite Keans record this season with all the fans against him and he had us 2nd. Given all that has gone on and been said and promised since the Venky's came along I am shocked after 3 games anyone is saying '1st decent manager for years'. Bowyer got 2 wins and a draw, we haven't done that since 2007 and yet achievements from 2009 are used to support Appletons '1st decent manager for years'. Kamy the man we all voted for best contributor links him to Kentaro from trusted sources and yet we believe the club etc, again have people forgotten the lies to date? I can only assume that after all that has gone on, how far we have fallen, people are now so desperate to see light they will cling onto to every little shadow that forms and pray for the light to follow. That's your choice and I'd never deny anyone that, but personally I won't do that and will remain apprehensive over everything Rovers for the foreseeable as this way you don't have your hopes and dreams dashed every few months. The best part of 10,000 fans have walked away, most likely to never return, so whilst people wish to claim the goods times are back, others just like I have, have gone as they don't see the light in a few matches and pressers.

It is a concern that needs clearing up. If Ben Mansford is his agent,
he is also a director of WMG, Who's Vice President is Dan Potts - Football Consultant at SEM / Kentaro Group.

The only thing I'm interested in is if he can get the players playing. There have been far too many conspiracy theories which have turned out to be little more than speculation and rumour. The summer dossier that was going to rock the world of football according to some on here has disappeared without trace. Yesterday I enjoyed a good performance at Derby and today I'm looking forward to the cup draw and, personally, I couldn't care less who the manager has as his agent or solicitor. If Appleton is calling the shots instead of Shebby that is good enough for me!

I don't care who his agent is to be honest, as long as he gets the result and has the ability to clear up the mess Rovers is in. And so far he is showing promising signs.

I thought the link between Derek Shaw and Appleton was the biggest variable anyway.

An agent will be paid a retainer and contact regarding jobs/interviews etc would go through them (partially to justify the retainer but also to save the client time and effort).

IF Appleton is paying Mansford (or someone else) a retainer for dealing with his day to day affairs and acting as his representative at all times then i see a problem. IF Appleton uses Mansford "as and when required - eg contract, negotiations, legally sensitive talks with employer/authorities" then he does not have an agent, irrespective of whether Mansford acts as an agent for other clients.

The only thing I'm interested in is if he can get the players playing. There have been far too many conspiracy theories which have turned out to be little more than speculation and rumour. The summer dossier that was going to rock the world of football according to some on here has disappeared without trace. Yesterday I enjoyed a good performance at Derby and today I'm looking forward to the cup draw and, personally, I couldn't care less who the manager has as his agent or solicitor. If Appleton is calling the shots instead of Shebby that is good enough for me!

great post!

Maj, Hodgson did very well at Fulham taking them to the UEFA cup final and 7th place in the league. Kept WBA up and then season after to Mid table.

Appleton has bought in a fitness coach who works in England setup and still fans moan! really give up with some people on here.

football is about winning. Appleton is getting the team solid and good defensive then he will improve the attacking wise. just like Hughes or Souness did when they took over. give the guy time to implement his style of play and tactics on to the team.

I'm sure Appleton will improve the scouting network and get it back to what it was under Hughes or Big Sam. same with the Sports Science and fitness department. but of course takes time to implement the changes needed.

some fans will allow him the time to do this and some wont

I was thinking about taking up Golf actually, I hear Lancs United have a cracking 18 holes near-by. And to think you walked away in the good old days?

Touch a nerve did I? ^_^

Majiball you reckon to know a bit about football but until you get the basics right your opinions are flawed.

Was the score 4 - 3? I seem to recall it was, I was playing cricket and had a radio link in the dressing room!!

Spot-on Kelbo. Rovers were winning 4-1 at half time, but Charlton scored 2 in the second half, and there were still 20 mins (plus stoppage time) to go when they got the second. That was the longest 20 mins of my life, And then the ref added 5 mins of stoppage on top of that. The thousands of Rovers fans that filled the Valleyt were literally screaming (and some were crying too) for the full time whistle that would mean Rovers were back in the 1st Div for the first time since 1947. What made it worse, was the fact that a draw would have promoted Charlton instead of Rovers.

Absolutely fantastic day from start to finish, and when I spent the night on the town up the West End there were Rovers fans and a sea of blue & white absolutely everywhere you went. It was just as if Rovers fans had completely taken over London. Oh happy day!!

• Backroom

Maj, most of us ARE heeding caution. But those being overly negative about things and slagging positivity off end up making us focus on the positives to get our points across.

Re: Appleton, does it really matter who he's worked under? Are we to suggest that McCLaren is a better manager than Wenger because of who he played under?

The important thing for me is how he does here. So far that has seen a steady defensive improvement and we have twice stifled teams above us in our league. Considering how we've played this season, with little shape to the team, he's done pretty well so far. Just hope we can keep it up and go on a nice run in either cup or league or both. If not, then I hope we see signs to build on next season.

You care about results? Flies in the face of your attitude to Allardyce and Berg somewhat.

You're a bit of a joke figure around here these days so I'll not bite.

I can scarcely believe you wrote that given your frequent attacks on Allardyce! You haven't been giving your password to someone else have you?

Its a generalisation Gordon, I'm speaking for a masses! You won't care if he gets results now will you?

Strong case of kettles and pots I'd suggest Gav. ^_^

Not sure what you're getting at, you won't find me posting untruths for the sheep to run with?

Touch a nerve did I? ^_^

Majiball you reckon to know a bit about football but until you get the basics right your opinions are flawed.

Not really just think it's hilarious that you're telling me to go to the circus after your antics when Ince was appointed.

You're in no position to judge and given you weren't the only one who got that call right, you most definitly haven't let anyone forget it since.

Maj, most of us ARE heeding caution. But those being overly negative about things and slagging positivity off end up making us focus on the positives to get our points across.

Re: Appleton, does it really matter who he's worked under? Are we to suggest that McCLaren is a better manager than Wenger because of who he played under?

The important thing for me is how he does here. So far that has seen a steady defensive improvement and we have twice stifled teams above us in our league. Considering how we've played this season, with little shape to the team, he's done pretty well so far. Just hope we can keep it up and go on a nice run in either cup or league or both. If not, then I hope we see signs to build on next season.

All I see are a bunch of people getting excited after one result and a few pressers. Performances only matter if we get results.

People used the fact someone works for England and that means he must be good. I on the other hand have access to better info than that.

great but again none of it matters as it's a long season. Yes he may well have done pretty good so far in your opinion but Bowyer for example did better in his first three. I am reluctant to say he's doing well as given all we have seen IE shebbys antics and signings, Keans, Bergs, @#/? and bullshit galore I want to wait and will post what I know about appointments etc. I don't like the way he was appointed IE the owners, they make Golum look like an einstein and Kamys post straight away 'people I trust tell me he's SEM/Kentaro' then the denial and all the press chatter since. The denial just makes me think they were involved and that I really don't like given the history. It's all @#/? and bullshit as far as I'm concerned these days and having met Shebby more than once and then considering he must have talked his way in via the owners, they are obviously taken in by bullshitters. So I'm highly hesitant, this isn't just about what goes on on the pitch anymore the club has been destroyed and we've had nothing but talkers so far too date. I would far rather appleton just let his product do the talking rather than, we have an unbalanced squad, premier league, cup run blah blah blah. As all it does is remind me of Keans start and all the press he got via his mate. Appleton and however is advising him to chat away should just have faith in him and his ability and let him walk the walk,not talk the talk.

Chaddy you know I'm never going to post it publicly, but I have as always told one person on here, who and where my info comes from. I'm happy for him to post if he likes but I'd rather he didn't mention names or jobs.

I even used what happened to King yesterday to highlight the issue. In a world where almost every team doesn't truly practice what it preaches the opportunity exists for those willing to get a huge head start on everyone else.

Even a quick google search would turn-up his degree classification, university, it's standing and so on.

He's alright nothing more and will never set the world on fire.

Archived