SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its sh.it. Thats what IT IS

We are bottom of the form guide (last 6 games), are conceeding in most games, struggling to create and score and currently (not) enjoying relegation form.

Last 8 games - 8 points from 24 available - 6 goals scored.

Last 6 games - 2 points from 18 available - 3 goals scored.

Last 4 games - 1 point from 12 available - 2 goals scored.

Last 3 games - 0 points from 9 available - 2 goals scored.

No its a 50% improvement. Its an improvement of 3 on 6, which is 50%. And don't bother with a patronising comment for me, I'm fairly certain on that calculation having a degree in maths.

not patronising, you are wrong

9 is a third greater than 6

If you buy something for 6 and sell it for 9 you have made 33.33% profit, not 50% profit.

The tax man would love you

9 is 150% of 6, so an increase of 50%.

I think you must be getting confused with some sort of tax calculation.

Believe me, I calculate percentage change from baseline in my job, day after day after day.

Percentage change over baseline = 100*(Value - Baseline)/Baseline.

You can cry foul all you want, but you're getting mixed up with something else, I'm sure of it. Believe me, I do this stuff day-in, day-out.

9 is 150% of 6, so an increase of 50%.

I think you must be getting confused with some sort of tax calculation.

Believe me, I calculate percentage change from baseline in my job, day after day after day.

Percentage change over baseline = 100*(Value - Baseline)/Baseline.

You can cry foul all you want, but you're getting mixed up with something else, I'm sure of it. Believe me, I do this stuff day-in, day-out.

:lol:

no wonder the country is in the stae it is

@#/? me, regardless of the % increase, the fact of the matter is, it is simply not good enough and we all pray and hope Appleton can change it around.

spot on, I can't believe some people want to try to make it look better than it actually is.

The fans wanted an experienced manager. Where is the Action Group who were vocal about us needing someone with experience?

Did we actually get any sort of rationale from Shaw/Agnew for appointing another novice?

The fans wanted an experienced manager. Where is the Action Group who were vocal about us needing someone with experience?

Did we actually get any sort of rationale from Shaw/Agnew for appointing another novice?

People only want the Action Group when things are going wrong.

When we are winning they are a completely unnecessary organisation.

I don't blame them for no longer posting.

not patronising, you are wrong

9 is a third greater than 6

If you buy something for 6 and sell it for 9 you have made 33.33% profit, not 50% profit.

The tax man would love you

33.33% of your turnover would be profit. But you would have made 50% profit on your costs. When you add 20% VAT onto the price, it's not 20% of the final cost, but 20% of the cost before tax is added.

And 9 is definitely 1.5 x 6, not 1.333 x 6. Which makes it a half or 50% greater. Get a calculator, try it out. Or keep arguing in favour of the wrong answer. It's more entertaining than Rovers have been lately...

no wonder the country is in the stae it is

So you made a fool of yourself over some basic maths. Now you've realised you made a mistake you're trying to cover it by pretending you were trolling all along.

You're not fooling anyone.

Recent form has been poor and not good enough, no doubt about that. Does that mean Appleton should be sacked or is a useless manager? No.

If after 10 games next season we have only taken 9 points from 10 games then I'd agree that Appleton isn't the right man. It's a massive rebuilding process at Rovers and I think Appleton has made a decent start at putting in a proper structure and solid foundations for next season. The summer will see a massive change in the playing squad and I expect to see massive improvements next season.

It would be an utter disaster if Appleton was binned before the end of the season or in the summer.

With home games against Derby, Blackpool, Burnley and Huddersfield I'd expect us to win at least 2 of those. Also got away games against Millwall (twice), Sheff W, and Birmingham which I'd expect us to take points from.

I'd be satisfied if we won 4 or 5 of those games plus got to Wembley in the FA Cup. With Best and King due back shortly, we'll be a lot more threatening going forward which we certainly need.

With home games against Derby, Blackpool, Burnley and Huddersfield I'd expect us to win at least 2 of those. Also got away games against Millwall (twice), Sheff W, and Birmingham which I'd expect us to take points from.

I'd be satisfied if we won 4 or 5 of those games plus got to Wembley in the FA Cup. With Best and King due back shortly, we'll be a lot more threatening going forward which we certainly need.

Same was said before the recent FOUR defeats in 5.

How come Berg didn't get another 10 games seeing as he 'only' got 3 points less than Appleton, but never had the opportunity to bring in his own signings?

Appleton has had the chance to change the squad (with a bunch of dollopers) and it has changed nothing.

At what point will some realise we are in dire straits and this manager has not got the ability to change anything?

A manager, a manager. My kingdom for a manager!!

Some may be getting the impression I don't rate Appleton one bit :D

227756_488872381151414_618165339_n.jpg

So we've had a period of 2-3 matches every 7 days, meaning very little training will be going one as recovery takes precedence. At best he'll be getting 1-2 proper sessions a week in and people think that's enough with all that's been disclosed and gone on over the last two to three seasons. Rovers fans have changed over the last 2-3 seasons, too quick to jump on things and demand better even though most on here have a rough idea of what's transpired.

The seasons over it was over before Appleton came. The man may look like Voldermort but he hasn't got a magic wand to make everything right in a few sessions.

Patience young padawan.

Same was said before the recent FOUR defeats in 5.

How come Berg didn't get another 10 games seeing as he 'only' got 3 points less than Appleton, but never had the opportunity to bring in his own signings?

Appleton has had the chance to change the squad (with a bunch of dollopers) and it has changed nothing.

At what point will some realise we are in dire straits and this manager has not got the ability to change anything?

And to think we could have had someone like Billy Davies.

Games against Leeds, Leicester, Hull and Bolton (granted, I'll give you Peterborough) are a lot harder than some of our remaining games - Blackpool, Birmingham, Huddersfield etc - so I don't think those fixtures are comparable. I'd find it very concerning if we picked up the same amount of point in the next 5 games that we picked up in the previous 5 games considering we have easier games coming up.

For me, the players gave nothing for Berg and tactically he didn't have a clue. He also didn't have the authority to bring in his own backroom team or make changes to the foundations of the club - Appleton seems to have that freedom.

I agree that many of Appleton's signing haven't worked out yet but they are the right calibre of player - proven championship players, hungry youngsters and players with something to prove (i.e. Bentley)

The biggest difference between Berg and Appleton is that in my opinion one manager (Berg) did not assert his authority and was completely undermined, whereas the other (Appleton) has not only asserted his authority he has identified the problems.

Quite rightly a manager should primarily be judged on results and yes they haven’t been good, BUT Appleton inherited a very bad situation, a club that was ripping itself apart, boardroom squabbles which were stopping the club moving forward and a squad of players who had lost faith, so I am prepared to give him some slack and wait to see what he does next season.

Believe me Rovers are a club in a mess, but at least on the footballing side we now have a manager who is attempting to look at the long term, putting structures in place which will hopefully move the club forward. In the end of course it is all about results, but for the last 2 years we have had short term fixes, that won’t work anymore. We need long term fixes.

Not managers, just rank bad players. Who on the whole were not good enough for the Premier League and after the players who may have been were sold, we are left with players who are not good enough for the Championship. Knee jerk reactions such as sacking managers and signing short term loan deals for journeymen footballers must end and rebuilding foundations must begin, starting with a sensible action plan from the top.

• Backroom

So we've had a period of 2-3 matches every 7 days, meaning very little training will be going one as recovery takes precedence. At best he'll be getting 1-2 proper sessions a week in and people think that's enough with all that's been disclosed and gone on over the last two to three seasons. Rovers fans have changed over the last 2-3 seasons, too quick to jump on things and demand better even though most on here have a rough idea of what's transpired.

The seasons over it was over before Appleton came. The man may look like Voldermort but he hasn't got a magic wand to make everything right in a few sessions.

Patience young padawan.

I don't know if its just since the whole Kean fiasco or I'm just noticing it more now but it feels like Rovers fans have become more entitled.

almost to the point where we are retrospectively proving other teams fans and clueless pundits right about what they said about us back then

So you made a fool of yourself over some basic maths. Now you've realised you made a mistake you're trying to cover it by pretending you were trolling all along.

You're not fooling anyone.

tut tut,

the point is Appleton got 9 points from a similar number of games as Berg got 6 points, 9 points is 3 points more than 6, which is an increase of a third

so Appleton is 33.33% better than Berg was, not 50% stop making him out to better than he actually is,

somebody call the education secretatary, its not my job to educate the great unwashed in basic maths

Archived