BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Hmmm, this talk about formations has me thinking. What would you say to this formation?

Kean

Henley/Hanley/Dann/Martin

Bentley/Lowe/Jones/Pedersen/Marcus

Rhodes

It'll be pretty stodgy, but there will be enough in the midfield to at least compete there, and hopefully the energy in the centre of midfield and down the left flank would support Rhodes.

If that formation, is for today's match.....Jones is cup-tied.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's time we now questioned the fitness levels at the club with two more players injured today and overall a @#/? load of injuries since Appleton has taken over. I know the players looked unfit under Kean but is Appleton pushing them too hard too quickly? King was brought back way too early again by the looks of it, he couldn't even lightly jog in the second half.

There's little chance of a decent performance until Appleton fields one or two players with a bit of creative flair.

He's already sidelined our most creative talent Rochina and also offloaded Vukcevic who I feel could have been very useful with a decent run of games. However we still have Dunn, Gomes, and Nunes on the staff who ought to be able to get us ticking over a bit in terms of general play if only Appleton would give them some game time.

I really want Appleton to succeed but with every passing game I get the feeling that he hasn't got a clue tactically.

I think thats a little harsh LD, you can't compensate for professional players who can't pass a bleedin football, how many loose passes did we see today, thousands of pounds a week and can't pass a football.

People keep telling me we have a’ great side on paper’ well I’ve got news for those people, we haven’t, the squads littered with over paid players who think they’re better than they actually are.

Appleton needs a clear out in the summer, lets hope confused of Pune give him the funds to continue the good work he’s done so far.

I accept the shortfalls in the squad Gav but lumping the ball 50 yards to their centre halves ad infinitum is our plan a b and c and it doesn't work.

We can all see this (2 goals in 6 games tells it's own story) yet there's no attempt at changing it.

I think thats a little harsh LD, you can't compensate for professional players who can't pass a bleedin football, how many loose passes did we see today, thousands of pounds a week and can't pass a football.

People keep telling me we have a’ great side on paper’ well I’ve got news for those people, we haven’t, the squads littered with over paid players who think they’re better than they actually are.

Appleton needs a clear out in the summer, lets hope confused of Pune give him the funds to continue the good work he’s done so far.

:huh:

As DE says its the lack of creativity and goals which is most galling.

We're so defensive and one dimensional it's ridiculous. How could Appleton not see that launching balls in the air to Shittu was never going to pay dividends? He has no plan B whatsoever as somebody else has already said.

Oh and tickets are £18 for the replay if you want to see another 0-0 masterpiece or last minute loss.

As DE says its the lack of creativity and goals which is most galling.

We're so defensive and one dimensional it's ridiculous. How could Appleton not see that launching balls in the air to Shittu was never going to pay dividends? He has no plan B whatsoever as somebody else has already said.

Oh and tickets are £18 for the replay if you want to see another 0-0 masterpiece or last minute loss.

Good chance of penalties then. :tu:

I think he means off the field.

It's going to take time, Rev.

If by that you mean he's brought in his own backroom staff that's only what I would expect anyone to do. And it isn't working.

As for our fitness levels, we seem to have been beset by medium term injuries since Appleton took over. Maybe it's purely coincidental maybe not.

There's little chance of a decent performance until Appleton fields one or two players with a bit of creative flair.

He's already sidelined our most creative talent Rochina and also offloaded Vukcevic who I feel could have been very useful with a decent run of games. However we still have Dunn, Gomes, and Nunes on the staff who ought to be able to get us ticking over a bit in terms of general play if only Appleton would give them some game time.

Forget Nunes, he is not an option for MA. Even with King and Dunn with only one or two days of training, he still prefered to put him in the reserves.

Gomes is a similar case, if he does play it will be for 5 or 10 minutes.

Forget Nunes, he is not an option for MA. Even with King and Dunn with only one or two days of training, he still prefered to put him in the reserves.

Gomes is a similar case, if he does play it will be for 5 or 10 minutes.

Well they ought to be.

:huh:

Not sure what you're expecting in such a short space of time Rev?

You’ve been around long enough to know that instant success isn't guaranteed, but he’s started off ok in my book with what he’s had to work with.

The decision to drop one of the top earners at the club and strip him of the captaincy is the biggest decision any Rovers manager has had to make in a very long time, and he should be applauded for that.

Hes doing ok, next season is the real test though.

Goals, some half decent performances and good results?

Gary Bowyer managed that in a fraction of the time Appleton has had to dismantle whatever little that was still left that was good at the Club.

Gary Bowyer managed that in a fraction of the time Appleton has had to dismantle whatever little that was still left that was good at the Club.

Bowyer got a reaction from the players much like Appleton did at the start, but with a serious lack of quality in the squad its going to be a while before we can judge Appleton. That won't stop the usual suspects on here calling for head though, of which you're certainly not one Rev.

I seem to recall Appleton having a good spell up until the Arsenal game. Since then it's been a bit backs to the wall and Rhodes hasn't a bit of his shine. 2 months ago he'd have buried that chance in the first few minutes.

Berg also started well culminating I what seemed a masterclass against Posh.

If anything it makes me think that Bowyer too would have found an extended spell just as difficult if he'd agreed to continue.

Bowyer got a reaction from the players much like Appleton did at the start, but with a serious lack of quality in the squad its going to a while before we can judge Appleton. That won't stop the usual suspects on here calling for head though, of which you're certainly not one Rev.

If it was up to me, and we were judging it purely on football issues and not financial ones I'd sack Appleton tomorrow Gav.

I've no idea what possessed us to think he would be a good choice before he was appointed and he's been even worse than I expected.

If he goes on to prove me wrong in future, good luck to him. I don't think he will. The balance of his sides is all wrong. In the long run you can win too many football matches without creating chances.

i

You’ve been around long enough to know that instant success isn't guaranteed, but he’s started off ok in my book with what he’s had to work with.

The decision to drop one of the top earners at the club and strip him of the captaincy is the biggest decision any Rovers manager has had to make in a very long time, and he should be applauded for that.

Hes doing ok, next season is the real test though.

I think this is a very fair and realistic post Gav. I have always said that Appleton might not be the man to bring success, but he does seem hell-bent on purifying the club again. For all the skulduggery the club has been associated with in the last few years, it seems the task of shifting the bad influences from the club whilst achieveing on field success, is simply too big to be undertaken in a short time frame.

I know results have been poor and performances have been turgid, but surely it is better to have someone in the hot seat who seems to be morally sound over someone who has links to many dubious sources looking to siphon money from the club? If we can get the club back on an even keel then we can look to kick on over the longer term. I think it is wholly unfair to expect us to look the part on the pitch when the club needed extensive surgery off it. I'm happy to give him time to continue to stabalise the club. Truth be told, i don't expect us to pull up any trees under Appleton, but i'd sooner he was given the opportunity to build a hardworking side and see where it takes us.

If it was up to me, and we were judging it purely on football issues and not financial ones I'd sack Appleton tomorrow Gav.

Come on Rev thats just silly talk, you must have alot of faith in tweedle dum (Shaw) and tweedle dummer (Agnew I certainly don't.

Appletons doing ok, he'll be judged next season by me, this season was over as soon as Kean started in the managers chair.

Archived