BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appleton needs to be given time. He has done what most of us on here would have - dropped Murphy (all be it after a while) brought in some CM's and recognised Rhodes needs to play with a target man (Best).

I am just worried he doesn't seem to know how to 'take the game' to opponents, with the quality we have up front with Rhodes, Best, DJ & Nuno we surely shouldn't struggle for goals.

Not enjoying his quote of - “The aim will be for another clean sheet on Wednesday and hopefully we get the rub of the green at the right time." But with the injuries and unbalanced nature of the squad what other choice do we have?

You are wrong. Take QPR for example after a good spell followed by a 'flat' spell Taraabt has been dropped by Arry and Hoilett who disappointed early in the season re-instated. The form of flair players comes and goes but their presence does frighten the opposition. Rochina was such a talent and there is always a place in any team or on any bench for such ability. I did notice Rochina frequently had two players assigned to mark him which in itself is a quality as someone elsewhere is by definition unmarked. Ever thought that if his on field decision making and awareness had been better we would never have seen him in blue and white halves?

The point is that his decison making and awareness were both poor and he showed no signs of improving those aspects of his game. Coupled with his inability to backtrack and pick up defenders coming forward meant that whatever his plus points he was never suited to the Championship.

I couldn't agree more, both Rochina and Vukcevic had enough chances to impress and failed miserably, glad we got shut.

So says the man who deplores 'hoofball' and wants to see skillful football, intricate passing and the like or he and all those around him on the Blackburn End are never going again.

The point is that his decison making and awareness were both poor and he showed no signs of improving those aspects of his game. Coupled with his inability to backtrack and pick up defenders coming forward meant that whatever his plus points he was never suited to the Championship.

Taraabt was the main reason QPR were promoted and Berkovitz was one of the main reasons that we were promoted and to this day I can't recall Berko putting a decent tackle in. A good manager will set up a team to utilise such talent whilst bad managers frequently appear to resent it.

This quote sums up his approach towards football:

“The aim will be for another clean sheet on Wednesday and hoipefully we get the rub of the green at the right time."

That quote is totally in line with what we have seen during his reign. He places little to no emphasis on going forward or controlling games, we will never ever get promoted taking that approach.

The window of opportunity for promotion is getting smaller, managers like Appleton will only consolidate our position as a mediocre Championship club.

I have to agree with those doubting Appletons ability.

His whole approach centres around keeping a clean sheet and trying to get a lucky bounce along the way.

Which is backed up by Appleton's quote about Millwall on Wednesday in the LT...

“The aim will be for another clean sheet on Wednesday and hopefully we get the rub of the green at the right time."

..so basically it's park the bus and hope we get a lucky a goal. And he's saying this about a game where we're at home and playing a team who are a place below us in the league. Speaks volumes.

The comparisons to Big Sam are not valid anyway.

Big Sam was working with a tiny budget in the Premier League whereas Appleton is working with a big budget against championship sides.

You can justify BS's percentage/survial football in the premier league, whereas there is no justification for Appleton setting us up like we're fighting relegation to League 1.

I too admire a hard working, gutsy and determined performance and the players deserve credit for their application yesterday.

However we should get that as standard and it must not be allowed to disguise the fact we were very, very poor in terms of our overall play.

Totally bemused as to why we are playing 4-4-2! 0.0.0.2.0.0 goals in the last 6 matches. You wont create chances or score goals without the ball.

I really can't understand why he thinks we must play so defensively, in Rhodes and Best we have the best strike force in this league. We have 2 decent wingers in bentley and King and now we have jones for the middle also. In them 5 we should be scoring goals. With Murphy out of the team we also aren't seeing the defence coming under as much pressure as when he's in the side.

Can say what we like about the league we are in (in terms of it being tough) but there is some Terrible sides in this league and we should be rolling over some teams.

^_^

Amazing how no-one argues that this is the best squad in the league any more, yet the manager still gets slated for poor performances?

The quality of football on offer was really dire though, that can't be denied, but it was always to be expected - especially if we had known how difficult the conditions were to be. These poor performances are only going to improve when and if we get some more real quality into the club. For those suggesting that the team are playing long ball stuff to the managers orders, - well Gomes and Dunn showed that to be wrong. Both of those players know how the game has to be played. We need more players - especially in the middle of the park - who's game is based around short passing. Yesterday, with Lowe and Pedersen in central mid it was always going to be difficult.

The comparisons to Big Sam are not valid anyway.

Big Sam was working with a tiny budget in the Premier League whereas Appleton is working with a big budget against championship sides.

You can justify BS's percentage/survial football in the premier league, whereas there is no justification for Appleton setting us up like we're fighting relegation to League 1.

Sam inherited some really good players like Nelsen, Samba, Tugay, McCarthy, Emerton and the squad was well equiped to handle Premiership football with a decent balance to it. Appleton inherited a such an imbalanced, unfit and demotivated squad and has had to get rid of some of the dregs to get the squad to a manageable number. Similar to Sam he hasn't had a lot of money. He has had to rely on loans and freebies. The big budget you refer to is what he has been left, a legacy of the lunacy that was going on for some time.

I see real similarites between the Appleton and Sam in their approach to management and how to get results.

So says the man who deplores 'hoofball' and wants to see skillful football, intricate passing and the like or he and all those around him on the Blackburn End are never going again.

I know you've been on a self imposed ban for the past couple of seasons only going when the free tickets come through the door, but surely you caught the highlights on the tellybox? Both have had plenty of chances to make an impact and both have failed miserably so getting shut was the right decision.

Only time will tell,those looking for a quick return under Appleton will be disappointed I fear.A rookie learning his trade nothing more nothing less.

The financial situation at the club will determine how long he is given.

Sadly SG, we are now the level of club where new managers do cut their teeth. Venkys have ensured that.

I make a point of looking up at the Jack Walker statue every time I go to Ewood, just to remind myself that it really did happen. All that's left of his legacy now is Ewood Park and the 99p DVDs from the 'Glory Years'.

The only hope is that we can stay in this League. I think I'm right in saying that following our previous, previous relegation we didn't even look like play-off contenders until Jack started to put this money in for the likes of Speedie, Moran and Stapleton?

Sadly SG, we are now the level of club where new managers do cut their teeth. Venkys have ensured that.

I make a point of looking up at the Jack Walker statue every time I go to Ewood, just to remind myself that it really did happen. All that's left of his legacy now is Ewood Park and the 99p DVDs from the 'Glory Years'.

The only hope is that we can stay in this League. I think I'm right in saying that following our previous, previous relegation we didn't even look like play-off contenders until Jack started to put this money in for the likes of Speedie, Moran and Stapleton?

Correct. In other words we need to find another Jack Walker or get lucky with an up-and-coming manager to get back in the Premier League.

This is what Venky's have thrown away.

Just feel lucky that we were around to dine at Jacks table Stuart..they cant take our memories away.Once established top flight clubs like Forest,Sheff Wednesday,Coventry have been out of the top league for well over a decade now....fancy some of that?

No easy way back..not a good prospect folks :(

“The aim will be for another clean sheet on Wednesday and hoipefully we get the rub of the green at the right time."

Hardly setting a positive tone for the match against an out of form Millwall.

Its not exactly going to get the crowds flowing back in.

If I were a Venky, i'd be wondering why I threw £10m at two top strikers when we're going to look to grab a lucky goal here or there.

Amazing that the new owners were happy and willing to gamble our PL status so unprofessionally. Amazing that this folly was supported by some of our fans.

Fully agree with solidifying defensively, but only if that is then used as a platform to get on the ball and try and score goals and win games.

Fully agree with giving a new manager time, but only if he is the right man in the first place. I lost count of those saying give Ince and the last prat more time like it actually meant something. Time to do what exactly? Lose more games, concede more goals and fall further down the league?

Fully agree that there was a massive job ahead at Ewood whoever was recruited. All the more reason to recruit someone suitably qualified and experienced for the role.

Will support MA till the end of the season and hope we have enough to stay up. Big couple of weeks ahead for him. Have to say I am a little concerned and would imagine he will be as well. It's a bad time to be on a poor run and the league season can't end fast enough for me.

Can we please just get a proper manager in for the rest of our FA cup run? Is that too much to ask? Anyone that has the slightest credibility behind his managerial career will do at this point. Might not make a big difference but any bit helps. After that Venkys can go back to their Appleton and the rest of their long slate of bold-headed nincompoops they have lined up for us.

Graham Souness where are you?

Quarter final of the FA Cup and the sites full of miserable sods attacking the manager....

He's playing things down in the media after igniting the tie with the 'cheap shot' comments, some of you need to get a keaning grip.

Archived