BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

What's this about Appleton getting the players fitter?

We're currently going through the biggest injury crisis in years and they're all niggles and strains. Injuries that could be attributed to poor preparation and analysis.

Of course it could just be down to bad luck.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've supported every Rovers manager, Kean included, until they deserved my support no more, Appleton is no different, hope that clears things up old chap.

That just illustrates that your opinion is to be taken with a pinch of salt Gav.

Hate? Grow up.

Ironic post of the year?

That just illustrates that your opinion is to be taken with a pinch of salt Gav.

Do you think?

Supporting the manager of the football club I follow?

Never heard the like of it....I should be hung drawn and quartered.

As you know I never said that, but you did say that John Williams needed sacking, which is nothing short of treason!

John Williams was a good CE overall but lets not forget that he was the man who 'killed the Goose that laid the golden egg' by letting Hughes go far too easily in fact virtually driving him away and the replacing him with a completely useless idiot with no coaching qualifications and no intention of getting them. I bet he looks back on that period with a mixture of horror and embarrassment.

I'm sure Mr Berg stated that the job was a long term project too and he lived and died by his results and performances just as the current manager should live and die by his (currently terrible) results and performances.

However, for some reason, the current manager is getting an unfathomable amount of rope the fans whereas the last manager was given none.

His first and possibly biggest mistake was not bringing in anyone with him. If he had he would have known who would have been and who wouldn't have been his allies within this chaotic football club. It also made him a lot easier/cheaper to sack when results didn't come his way. Nevertheless, it was a wrong decision to hire Berg in the first place, and a decision that wasn't made on based on anything other than him being the cheapest option and (possibly) impressing Singh during his interview. When Berg was hired, it was after we were linked with a string of the top names in the modern game, so naturally people were left a little underwhelmed. When Appleton was hired, not many of those big names were still an option. Support the manager, whoever is in charge. Early signs when Berg was in charge was that the club wan't moving forward. With Appleton in charge I see some positive signs I haven't seen since Big Sam was in charge - and yes, I'm a Big Sam fan.

I'm surprised you're continuing down this route, as you've been seen off so many times in the past.

Newcastle fans hate Allardyce, West Ham fans hate Allardyce and a good majority of Rovers fans hate him also.

John Williams on the other hand is probably one of the best Chairmen to ever grace a football club in this country and you saw fit to wage a 1 man crusade to try and get him removed from the club which is nothing short of absolutely bonkers and puts your credibility at zero.

Managers come and go, good chairmen are hard to find......

Try not to get banned when you reply.

Don't be silly. A few idiots in the Blackburn End and on this messageboard maybe. I do count you among them by the way.

One-man crusade. Hmmm... quite rightly questioned the appointment of Ince along with many others.

Please try again.

Don't be silly. A few idiots in the Blackburn End and on this messageboard maybe. I do count you among them by the way.

One-man crusade. Hmmm... quite rightly questioned the appointment of Ince along with many others.

Please try again.

Tell you what, you keep telling lies, postes know the score and I'll not bore them further.

I can't agree that a majority of fans wanted Big Sam out. I'd say a very vocal minority were responsible. Maybe 10% wanted Sam out. I'd say maybe another 25 to 30 % were unhappy with the style of football but realised given the state of the modern game we were doing as well as expected and there was no serious alternative ( I'd put myself in this group ). The other 60 to 65 % were loyalists who were just happy with the way things were going. That's my personal view.

Bolton supporters loved him, the players of the clubs he's managed do too. Newcastle fans didn't want him but they are a bit of a special case! As far as I know, West Ham are very happy with the progress under him, where's the evidence to say otherwise?

There is always a minority of idiots at any club and our's is certainly no exception.

I can't agree that a majority of fans wanted Big Sam out. I'd say a very vocal minority were responsible. Maybe 10% wanted Sam out. I'd say maybe another 25 to 30 % were unhappy with the style of football but realised given the state of the modern game we were doing as well as expected and there was no serious alternative ( I'd put myself in this group ). The other 60 to 65 % were loyalists who were just happy with the way things were going. That's my personal view.

I think that middle group was slightly bigger but take your point.

• Backroom

At times it can't be denied the football under Allardyce was pretty mind-numbing, but it was worth it for the stability he gave us. Sam was working with the tools he had at his disposal - a pool of mostly average players who he had to supplement with freebies and cheap 'potential' signings due to the Trust's investment in the club drying up to essentially nothing. Most of our decent players had been sold or were rapidly losing their shine (Warnock, RSC, McDonalds) when Sam arrived.

It was always going to end in disaster once he was sacked IMO, more so when he was replaced by an utter nobody who didn't have a clue.

We're currently going through the biggest injury crisis in years and they're all niggles and strains. Injuries that could be attributed to poor preparation and analysis.

Ah the issue that nobody wants to talk about it seems. Of course it could be just a case of bad luck but I think it's more down to training/conditioning that is seeing us pick up a hell of a lot of injuries. Look at King at the weekend, there is no way he was fully fit going into that game IMO. If this is indeed the case then that is the second time he has played a game whilst injured and as a result has aggravated an injury further.

Appleton and his staff need to look into it.

Polls on here and in the LT stood rather more than that at somewhere around 80% i seem to rem in support of him when he was sacked.

In fact.... Top of page...

Maybe not but rem those 12 around Gav knew what they are talking about remember Den. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately for the club, it's supporters and the town it's a pity and the fullness of time has proven them to be the full on idiotic plonkers that most with any sense knew they were at the time.

Since they got their way we've been relegated, humiliated, virtually bankrupted and consigned to watching shyte football (proper) in footballs backwaters probably until the end of time. If we lose on Sunday the only recompense will be a public execution of the lot of em in the centre circle after the match. :angry:

That's a real blow. Jason Lowe to RB then and perhaps David Dunn to start tomorrow? Does anybody know how far Lee Wiliamson is from playing? The good news though is that Martin Olsson could be back.

It could just be a case of actually having to do some training / fitness work for the first time in 2 years that could attribute to these injuries & niggles

its no secret that under Keanochio we did little or no fitness training

correct on both points.

fans need to judge him next season and be patience.

i agree - we need stability to progress

Appleton has inherited, quite possibly, the worst squad of underachieving professionals ever...

he has to be given time to stamp his authority onto the club - -Mr Murphy has now realised that to his cost, and i am sure that he wont be the last over the next few months....

In terms of passion and work rate from the players, the last two games show that he must be doing something right

Find his feet in charge this season, pre-season and summer to prepare

Judge him at xmas is fair enough to me...

Archived