BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Does that "support" include the manager of whom you said you would never go to Ewood while he remained in charge ? Explantion still required.

As you know I never said that, but you did say that John Williams needed sacking, which is nothing short of treason!

Anyway enough of going over old ground, because you'll lose and end up getting banned, lets hope for a positive result and display on Wednesday and the Sunday.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He would have been very honest with the owners and told them is a long term project and needs to time.

Appleton has had very little time to put his attacking ideas accross with playing 3 games a weeks and very little time on training ground being done with more rest and fitness wise being done to keep the players fit.

1) I'd be saying that as well if my results and performances were poor. It's the abject nature of our performances under Appleton that wiorries me more than the bare results. If you're playing well and creating chances but not getting results then at least you've something to work on. If you're incapable of creating any chances, you've had it.

2) "Get as many crosses in from wide positions as possible to the 2 lads up front." That cover it?

1) I'd be saying that as well if my results and performances were poor. It's the abject nature of our performances under Appleton that wiorries me more than the bare results. If you're playing well and creating chances but not getting results then at least you've something to work on. If you're incapable of creating any chances, you've had it.

2) "Get as many crosses in from wide positions as possible to the 2 lads up front." That cover it?

Appleton would have told the owners from meetings he had before accepting the job that this is a long term project not a 6 weeks or 6 months project but 2 to 3 years project and needs time. personally I think the owners will give him this

the fans need to give him time and judging after 13 or 14 games but after the summer when he sign his players and have a full preseason behind the players and judge him at Christmas on Results.

• Backroom

Wasn't Hughes' record something like 2 wins from his first 14 games? Didn't Souness tail off quite a bit after an initial honeymoon period? I still say the time to judge is next season.

I'm sure Mr Berg stated that the job was a long term project too and he lived and died by his results and performances just as the current manager should live and die by his (currently terrible) results and performances.

However, for some reason, the current manager is getting an unfathomable amount of rope the fans whereas the last manager was given none.

1) Steve Kean "evil"? Dear me. Poor manager undoubtedly although having said that his record at the start of this season compares favourably to everyone else that has taken over this squad apart from Bowyer.

2) I call things as I see them on an individual basis rather than slavishly toeing a party line. Always have done. I was shocked by Appleton's appointment as there was nothing whatsoever in his track record to suggest that he'd be a good appointment for us and it's clear to me at this stage he's a poor appointment. If he goes on to prove me wrong, good luck to him.

3) Venky's have invested heavily in the squad this season, 11m on Best and Rhodes alone and we must have brought in about 20 players in total this season including Appleton's latest rag tag collection of loanees. Venky's would appear to have tried to do their best but in common with their running of the Club since they took over they've made a mess of it, by firstly not sacking Kean early enough then not making the right managerial appointment on more than one occasion.

Edit: Bowyer seemed to have clicked with the pool of players we had when available when he was here and he should have been kept in charge whilst he was getting results. .

I think Appleton's reputation as an up and coming coach and the work he did at Portmsouth was a good enough track record for Venkys to appointment him. He seems highly regarded within the game and every young manager is a risk. Indeed, even experienced ones don't always work. Personally, I have been impressed with the way in which he has set about the task and clearly he is looking at the situation with a view to the long term rather than this season. The more I see of him the more he reminds me of Gordon Lee. Straight talking, not afraid to offload popular players who he doesn't see fitting his way of working and not afraid to get rid of experienced players who, again, don't fit his long term plans. Like Lee I think Appleton is the sort of guy who will insist things are done his way. I'm happy to judge him in twelve months time.

Gary didn't want the job and whenever you talk to him his enthusiasm for developing young players is clear. I think the last couple of games in which he took charge showed that the would have had to make similar decisions to Appleton as things were beginning to become a struggle again.

• Backroom

I'm sure Mr Berg stated that the job was a long term project too and he lived and died by his results and performances just as the current manager should live and die by his (currently terrible) results and performances.

However, for some reason, the current manager is getting an unfathomable amount of rope the fans whereas the last manager was given none.

Because Venkys are learning that chopping and changing every few games won't work, perhaps? We've gone from keeping clean sheets to freely conceding and from scoring regularly to creating nowt. It's a grave cause for concern, but you HAVE to consider the players at his disposal and those not available who previously were.

A half-fit Best won't be as good as a fully fit CKR. Markus Olsson is no Josh King etc.

Wasn't Hughes' record something like 2 wins from his first 14 games? Didn't Souness tail off quite a bit after an initial honeymoon period? I still say the time to judge is next season.

correct on both points.

fans need to judge him next season and be patience.

Ok, maybe it's a bit early to call for Appleton to go before he's had the summer.

But it wouldn't be right to ignore the fact he called Sunday's performance "magnificent" when in reality it was complete garbage (again).

Because Venkys are learning that chopping and changing every few games won't work, perhaps? We've gone from keeping clean sheets to freely conceding and from scoring regularly to creating nowt. It's a grave cause for concern, but you HAVE to consider the players at his disposal and those not available who previously were.

A half-fit Best won't be as good as a fully fit CKR. Markus Olsson is no Josh King etc.

Ah so Appleton has the benefit of excuses despite having a full transfer window more than Berg? All resulting in an amazing 3 more points than Berg

And a post somehwere said Appleton had dropped 'popular' players?????????????????

• Backroom

I'll assume that's a genuine question: I think it means he's prepared to drop players who aren't performing, even if they are popular with the squad.

And nope, he doesn't get excuses. He gets the benefit of the doubt because:

He doesn't talk @#/? - Even the Millwall comments, I agreed with as we were getting kicked from pillar to post all game and did well to get a draw (and clean sheet) away in such circumstances.
He had a VERY good run initially.
He's dropped the problem players after giving them a fair crack.
He's building from the back and I feel the let down is CM, which he has addressed with the addition of the cup-tied Jones.

Given a full pre-season, I reckon we could aim for the play-offs next season. The aim this season is to stay in this league (which we are on target to do) and do as well as we can in the cup.

Sure, the ride's bumpier than we expected, but we're a club decimated by Kean and Venkys. We need to give the manager time to turn us into a proper club again if he can.

Ah so Appleton has the benefit of excuses despite having a full transfer window more than Berg? All resulting in an amazing 3 more points than Berg

And a post somehwere said Appleton had dropped 'popular' players?????????????????

he was appointted mid January so how the hell did he have a full transfer window

Ok, maybe it's a bit early to call for Appleton to go before he's had the summer.

But it wouldn't be right to ignore the fact he called Sunday's performance "magnificent" when in reality it was complete garbage (again).

defensively we were good.

attacking wise not the best.

but the players gave 100% and tried their best.

Very fair point. However Appleton took over a side that was buzzing after Bowyers caretaker spell.

Hughes inherited a side in complete disarray after Souness completely lost the plot.

• Backroom

Very fair point. However Appleton took over a side that was buzzing after Bowyers caretaker spell.

Hughes inherited a side in complete disarray after Souness completely lost the plot.

Also a fair point hahaha. Altho that Wolves team were battering us in Bowyer's last game and they're even worse than we are :S

I too admire a hard working, gutsy and determined performance and the players deserve credit for their application yesterday.

However we should get that as standard and it must not be allowed to disguise the fact we were very, very poor in terms of our overall play.

Totally bemused as to why we are playing 4-4-2! 0.0.0.2.0.0 goals in the last 6 matches. You wont create chances or score goals without the ball.

4-4-2? Many might interpret Sundays formation as more like a 4-2-4! No need to criticise Lowe and Ped when that is the role they were asked to play.

I really can't understand why he thinks we must play so defensively, in Rhodes and Best we have the best strike force in this league. We have 2 decent wingers in bentley and King and now we have jones for the middle also. In them 5 we should be scoring goals. With Murphy out of the team we also aren't seeing the defence coming under as much pressure as when he's in the side.

Can say what we like about the league we are in (in terms of it being tough) but there is some Terrible sides in this league and we should be rolling over some teams.

I'd swap the pair of em for Bellamy and possibly Zaha too.

Sam inherited some really good players like Nelsen, Samba, Tugay, McCarthy, Emerton and the squad was well equiped to handle Premiership football with a decent balance to it.

If JW had not chickened out of taking Allardyce on and gone for the numpty Ince he'd have inherited an even better one.

I think Appleton's reputation as an up and coming coach and the work he did at Portmsouth was a good enough track record for Venkys to appointment him. He seems highly regarded within the game and every young manager is a risk. Indeed, even experienced ones don't always work. Personally, I have been impressed with the way in which he has set about the task and clearly he is looking at the situation with a view to the long term rather than this season. The more I see of him the more he reminds me of Gordon Lee. Straight talking, not afraid to offload popular players who he doesn't see fitting his way of working and not afraid to get rid of experienced players who, again, don't fit his long term plans. Like Lee I think Appleton is the sort of guy who will insist things are done his way. I'm happy to judge him in twelve months time.

Gary didn't want the job and whenever you talk to him his enthusiasm for developing young players is clear. I think the last couple of games in which he took charge showed that the would have had to make similar decisions to Appleton as things were beginning to become a struggle again.

Interesting comparison Parson.

Appleton had 2 choices when he came in. Try and get the best out of the players he already had at the Club or decide he wanted to play in a certain way, whether or not that best suited the players he had available at the time.

To me he's gone down the latter route. Whether he can transform our playing fortunes given time remains to be seen.

I think anyone given a big enough budget should be able to do a job of sorts at this level, but personally I can see no encouragement whatsoever in either our performances since Appleton took over or in his overall managerial record which would suggest his current level of results are the norm rather than a temporary blip.

he was appointted mid January so how the hell did he have a full transfer window

Oooops. It felt like it after all the protracted messing about bringing in the assorted duckeggs on loan throughout February.

Cut and thrust of it is he has had the opportunity to change the squad and has so far amassed a whopping 3 points more than the last manager who's hands were tied. And he was the most clueless manager since Ince and Kean

Can we please just get a proper manager in for the rest of our FA cup run? Is that too much to ask? Anyone that has the slightest credibility behind his managerial career will do at this point. Might not make a big difference but any bit helps. After that Venkys can go back to their Appleton and the rest of their long slate of bold-headed nincompoops they have lined up for us.

Graham Souness where are you?

Have you forgotten how much money was mysteriously :glare: spewed on Grabbi, Amoruso and Ferguson before we mercifully got shut and he went on another 'retirement benefit spree' courtesy of NUFC? Top level football is rotten to the core.

Come off it GAV. Time to own up and admit your hatred of Sam and that you got him completely wrong. People would respect you more if you did.

I'm surprised you're continuing down this route, as you've been seen off so many times in the past.

Newcastle fans hate Allardyce, West Ham fans hate Allardyce and a good majority of Rovers fans hate him also.

John Williams on the other hand is probably one of the best Chairmen to ever grace a football club in this country and you saw fit to wage a 1 man crusade to try and get him removed from the club which is nothing short of absolutely bonkers and puts your credibility at zero.

Managers come and go, good chairmen are hard to find......

Try not to get banned when you reply.

• Backroom

A miniscule improvement is still an improvement, B&WA. I just have more faith in Appleton than the other managers we've had this season. For once he has a plan, which seems to be to consolidate this season, reassess in the summer and build from there. It'd be nice to be winning more right now, but I do agree with the idea of getting the defence sorted out, getting fit in pre-season and hopefully sorting the midfield and attack over the summer.

The defence is badly lacking protection from the midfield (and has all season). Soon as a player became available who could rectify this, we got him. The time to push on is next season. If we're struggling then, have his head off.

So, by your reckoning, we should never have got rid of Kean because he got us to 3rd?

I'm surprised you're continuing down this route, as you've been seen off so many times in the past.

Newcastle fans hate Allardyce, West Ham fans hate Allardyce and a good majority of Rovers fans hate him also.

John Williams on the other hand is probably one of the best Chairmen to ever grace a football club in this country and you saw fit to wage a 1 man crusade to try and get him removed from the club which is nothing short of absolutely bonkers and puts your credibility at zero.

Managers come and go, good chairmen are hard to find......

Try not to get banned when you reply.

Hate? Grow up.

Venkys got us into this, not MA - he is doing the best with a crap hand, dealt over two years ago by a dodgy agent, advising gullible new owners who wanted to make a splash. Sadly the great experiment died on its arse within months, if not weeks, against the advice of men who were steeped in football. Whether MA was the right appointment.....time will tell. Billy Davies is doing the business at Forest, but as others have said, we are a car crash, and there are very few good managers who would want to come here.

For the first time since SA was booted, we appear to have a manager who has independence of mind - that in itself is refreshing.

Hardly.

It was always only ever a (vocal) minority who disliked Sam.

.......Venky's would appear to have tried to do their best but in common with their running of the Club since they took over they've made a mess of it, by firstly not sacking Kean early enough then not making the right managerial appointment on more than one occasion.

You mean by sacking a very capable and experienced manager and appointing Kean in the first place! When one looks back on that time what the Venky's did absolutely beggars belief. Stupid? Ill advised? Naive? Personally I'm torn between the words criminal and suicidal to describe their actions.

Archived