BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Stop playing 4.4.2! Especially with Jones absent and Campbell struggling. Pack the midfield, keep the game in the middle of the park, protect the defence, let the full backs push on when in decent possession, trust in Rhodes to score or to bag from a set piece. If we concede early we will lose.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree completely with that. If it's Lowe and Pedersen in central midfield we can completely forget Wembley imo. Bentley/Lowe wouldn't be far behind in terms of awfulness.

Murphy has been poor at times none more so than against Peterborough but he is still far more preferable than either of the combos listed above. He must play if fit and available in the absence of Jones imo.

Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere but is Dunn injured? It seems odd he can't get any time on the pitch whatsoever even if he couldn't get through a full 90 mins.

BRFC v Millwall was one of the first matches that I saw this season simply cos it was on a freebie ticket.

Millwall were very impressive, they were one of the first teams to suss us out at Ewood and the rest have learned from them. They pressed our midfield high up the park with energetic fluid passing, exploited the acres of space between our full backs, entre backs and midfield and their midfield exposed ours for the shambolic shuffling flatfooted 3 touch excuse that it is. They could have won by 4 or 5 and it wouldn't have flattered them. Given his salary, career and expectation Murphy was simply not at the races. He gave an abysmal performance that has since become his norm. Just about the worst and costliest signing since Souness had the aberration (or the ulterior motive :glare: ) to sign Grabbi.

Team that day.

1Robinson

27Henley

• 16Dann
  • 31Hanley
  • 3Olsson
  • 10Formicaicon.gif
  • 13Murphyicon.gif
  • 18Etuhu
  • 14Olssonicon.gif
  • 11Rhodes
  • 23Rochina

Murphy was subbed after 80mins or so.

Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere but is Dunn injured?

Not according to Dunn I'm told.

I disagree completely with that. If it's Lowe and Pedersen in central midfield we can completely forget Wembley imo. Bentley/Lowe wouldn't be far behind in terms of awfulness.

Murphy has been poor at times none more so than against Peterborough but he is still far more preferable than either of the combos listed above. He must play if fit and available in the absence of Jones imo.

Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere but is Dunn injured? It seems odd he can't get any time on the pitch whatsoever even if he couldn't get through a full 90 mins.

Whilst Bentley/Lowe and Pedersen/Lowe combinations are far from great I'd certainly play either combination ahead of Murphy/Lowe. Tbh I've not really seen much of Bentley so perhaps that'd be a gamble (better the devil you know?) but certainly would prefer Peds there to Murphy. Peds covers way more ground in one match than Murphy does in a month, has had some decent performances, and gets stuck in more - although admitedly there aren't too many players you can say that about!

But the whole discussion is moot - playing 4-4-2 with any of the personnel available is a bad idea. It has to be 4-5-1. Incidentally I remember Pedersen doing ok in a 3 man central midfield in the latter stages of Sam's reign. Am not convinced Best is ready yet - 10 minutes to a full start is a big jump.

Think tactically this is Appleton's biggest challenge to date. Ferguson showed on Wednesday the importance of picking the right players to do a job over the best players. Will be interesting to see if Appleton adapts accordingly.

Dunn??? he hasnt been fit for last 18 months.

Appleton is playing 4-4-2 at the moment because it suits the players we got.

I expect Best to play and up front with Rhodes. Gomes isnt in favour with the manager and dont expect him here after the summer.

I really hope Murphy doesnt start tomorrow and play Peds and Lowe in middle. Lowe look very different on Tuesday playing with Jones and more confident. cos Lowe is always having to cover for Murphy who is always out of position.

Dunn??? he hasnt been fit for last 18 months.

Appleton is playing 4-4-2 at the moment because it suits the players we got.

I expect Best to play and up front with Rhodes. Gomes isnt in favour with the manager and dont expect him here after the summer.

I really hope Murphy doesnt start tomorrow and play Peds and Lowe in middle. Lowe look very different on Tuesday playing with Jones and more confident. cos Lowe is always having to cover for Murphy who is always out of position.

Eh? Sorry Chaddy but 4-4-2 clearly does not suit the players we have got. MGP showed under SA that he was performing much better as part of a central three and Murphy would also benefit from that if forced to select him. Without a decent target man we gift the ball to the opposition constantly whilst remaining short in centre midfield. Risking Best for a full game will be exactly that, a risk. Where are the pacy wingers capable of getting to the bye line and supplying quality balls to the two upfront?

Recent results, performances, goals conceeded and lack of goals scored demonstrates it is not working. With only 2 goals scored in the last 5 matches, 1 point from 15 obtained and 9 goals conceeded, a home defeat to the bottom of the league in amongst that and poor performances against Hull, Leicester and Leeds, I am somewhat surprised that MA went down that route and has failed to change it sooner. Tactically it has been a very, very bad move.

Rhodes and Best need to play upfront as a partnership so we need 2 wingers on the wing in Bentley n Marcus with Lowe and Peds in centre.

Rhodes needs to play with a target man like Best to get the best out of him.

4-4-2 is the best formation for us in this league.

Rhodes and Best need to play upfront as a partnership so we need 2 wingers on the wing in Bentley n Marcus with Lowe and Peds in centre.

I'm sure Millwall will certainly be hoping that you and Appleton think alike.

You must be enjoying recent games and results much more than me Chaddy. Have a good weekend anyway and fingers crossed MA gets it right whichever system is employed.

I'm sure Millwall will certainly be hoping that you and Appleton think alike.

Appleton has played that system ever since becoming manager. cant see him changing him for this game.

You must be enjoying recent games and results much more than me Chaddy. Have a good weekend anyway and fingers crossed MA gets it right whichever system is employed.

I havent enjoy the results recently but Pleased he dropped Murphy finally and will change alot of playing squad in the summer.

I really hope we won tomorrow and get to wembley for semi.

alot of people on here were saying Rhodes need to play with another striker and play 4-4-2. now Appleton does this and make us defensive better and fans now moan because we have loss a few games.

Appleton will get this right.

I totally agree what Kamy and Parsonblue said a few pages back. next season is the time to judge Appleton not this season

Not sure why people are suggesting Appleton is a rigid 4-4-2 man.

We were definitely more 4-4-1-1 when Kazim-Richards was in the team. He played a floating role behind Rhodes, he didn't play up top alongside him in a traditional partnership.

Not sure why people are suggesting Appleton is a rigid 4-4-2 man.

We were definitely more 4-4-1-1 when Kazim-Richards was in the team. He played a floating role behind Rhodes, he didn't play up top alongside him in a traditional partnership.

Talk of formations is fairly academic. We've been playing pretty dreadfully pretty much since Appleton took over and without him being willing to field anyone with any flair or creativity in the side there's little hope for any improvement imo. Albeit we might nick the odd result if we can keep a clean sheet.

• Backroom

Interesting interview with Appleton just now on SSN.

Seems like Shebby has completely disappeared from the club, which is nice. Appleton says he still hasn't spoken to or seen him. Speaks to the owners once a week and gives a report on the match, but prefers to deal with the people at the club. Some players have been upset by him saying the things he feels need to be said (obviously talking mainly about Murphy). Would like the club to be "boring" for a while, with nothing interesting happening. Can't disagree with that.

Interesting interview with Appleton just now on SSN.

Seems like Shebby has completely disappeared from the club, which is nice. Appleton says he still hasn't spoken to or seen him. Speaks to the owners once a week and gives a report on the match, but prefers to deal with the people at the club. Some players have been upset by him saying the things he feels need to be said (obviously talking mainly about Murphy). Would like the club to be "boring" for a while, with nothing interesting happening. Can't disagree with that.

If Appleton continues to struggle then there is no doubt that Shebby will reappear at some point.

Apps believes he may never get a chance like this again -

"I'm sure the fans will be down there in their thousands, I'm really excited about the game, I've got an extra spring in my step because maybe, as a manager, I'll never get an opportunity like this again.

Guest Norbert

Hmmm, this talk about formations has me thinking. What would you say to this formation?

Kean

Henley/Hanley/Dann/Martin

Bentley/Lowe/Jones/Pedersen/Marcus

Rhodes

It'll be pretty stodgy, but there will be enough in the midfield to at least compete there, and hopefully the energy in the centre of midfield and down the left flank would support Rhodes.

Talk of formations is fairly academic. We've been playing pretty dreadfully pretty much since Appleton took over and without him being willing to field anyone with any flair or creativity in the side there's little hope for any improvement imo. Albeit we might nick the odd result if we can keep a clean sheet.

We've been playing pretty dreadfully since Sam was sacked Rev.

Apps believes he may never get a chance like this again -

"I'm sure the fans will be down there in their thousands, I'm really excited about the game, I've got an extra spring in my step because maybe, as a manager, I'll never get an opportunity like this again.

God help, not exactly full of ambition is he?

Lose tomorrow and next Sunday and this board will be in meltdown ..

Appleton is going to start feeling the real heat , starting 2pm tomorrow ...

We will find out if the players are with him !

Shebby is lurking for his chance of revenge on Shaw and Agnew !

I'm not sure tomorrow is going to be a problem for Appleton, Waggy.

Lose tomorrow and I don't think people will be all that surprised given our form.

Win tomorrow and lose next week? Urgh.

Michael Appleton has warned there will be no more bumper swansongs for senior players at Blackburn.

And in a move to shake up the squad, the manager has taken the club captaincy off 35-year-old Danny Murphy.

Defender Scott Dann has taken over as skipper and has the armband for today’s FA Cup quarter-final against Millwall. The decision puts the future of former Liverpool star Murphy in doubt, having joined Rovers from Fulham last summer.

Appleton said: “I want to take the club in a different direction. I don’t want this club to get a reputation of being a last payday for some players. We want hungry players. Danny and I had an honest conversation. It wasn’t easy, as he’s a good guy. But I told him we have to be sensible.”

I said I expect the Captain armband to be taking off Murphy and given to Dann. looks like I was right

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fa-cup-millwall-vs-blackburn-1753980

God help, not exactly full of ambition is he?

he doesn't necessarily mean we're never going to a quarterfinal match again though does he? Just that, other than Barnsley, who could we have drawn that gave us a better chance of a semi? Millwall are beatable - the others at this stage less so.

Archived