BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Play Offs-managing expectations

TBTF

The last few weeks have been a step forward in terms of we now have a no nonsense manager who knows what he wants, won't let Shebby get in his way, appears to recognise our deficiencies, has us more organised and perhaps more difficult to beat and crucially appears to have the players on side.

However we need to be fair to him.In my opinion if we don't make the Play Offs its more down to the 10 barren games under Berg .Realistically with 16 games to go you would think we probably still need another 34 points -certainly more than 30.That means we probably have to win 10 and scramble a few draws which leaves little margin for error.Take into account that on the next 4 Tuesday nights in a row we are away to Brighton, Hull, Leicester and Bolton makes this task very very difficult.

I know that usually a team comes with a blinding late run in this division but for it to be us does look a massive ask.Not impossible , but i think we have to mage expectations despite the healthier looking appearance of the league position.Despite what looks good on paper we have taken only 7 points from the last 12 in the league and this from all 4 being Home games.

So room for optimism with Appleton though removing the debris of 2 yrs of complete carnage and rebalancing this team /squad from the rubbish that is still in it will need considerable time.

We are slowly moving forward at long last under MA and long may that continue though Venkys as we know are more than capable of a kean up at any moment and complacency at fan level is not recommended.

Just thought we needed to put the breaking jingoism into perspective and allow Appleton time to breathe!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed. The Berg spell appears to have been costly for us. It was a move I backed, though. And I was a little surprised to see him gone so soon (though not disappointed). Only wish we'd have had Appleton from the start, but then he wouldn't have been available.

It would be nice to surge through the pack ,like we did with Howard Kendall in 1980 and Graeme Souness in 2001 but

this current squad is just not good enough ..Unless Appleton can sort out centre midfield with loanees and a centre back , we will finish

roughly where we are now but several points behind the teams above us !

A midfielder of the calibre of Kendall or Souness would give us a fighting chance though alas not many around these days !

He wasn't available when we did finally decide to go for him plastics! He would have been cheaper to nab from Portsmouth that's for sure.

Haha, fair point. For some reason I had it in my head he was at Blackpool already when we got Berg but I was about a week out with that.

I've no expectation of reaching the playoffs.

We are, at best, a good mid table Championship side.

We are already a mid table Championship side but an improving side and although no one knows how much more we will improve I suspect that it will continue under Appleton so the play offs are a very real possibility.

At best a good mid table side gives us a chance of making the play offs whilst over performing at the right times.

If you were to say at best an overachieving mid table side then I doubt we'd have much chance of making the play offs.

Gonna be difficult but we certainly shouldn't be written off.

• Backroom

It would be ridiculously hard still for us to get there

People seem to think all we have to do is make up the ground on the top 6 (hard enough) but we would then need to keep up the form once we got there, that's just not likely to happen

One defeat will have us way off the pace which shows just how hard a task it would be from here

I'm not doubting it will be difficult. But to have no expectations because of our ability is puzzling to me given we seem to have a much more secure defence than we used to and we have a player who I feel is the best striker in the league.

If this lack of expectation was because of a fear of being let down or because they feel it would be typical Rovers to let us down and it's simply a defence mechanism then this is understandable, but to have no expectation because someone thinks we aren't good enough and therefore it's impossible is beyond me.

It would be ridiculously hard still for us to get there

People seem to think all we have to do is make up the ground on the top 6 (hard enough) but we would then need to keep up the form once we got there, that's just not likely to happen

One defeat will have us way off the pace which shows just how hard a task it would be from here

Agreed it will be difficult but don't forget the top 6 also have to keep there form and its going to be just as tough for them, it can still be done.

I have no expectations of reaching the play-offs this season. We may be within four points of sixth but the gap between sixth and fifth is huge. All it will take is a couple of defeats and the gap between ourselves and sixth will open up again. I think Appleton is taking a long term strategy and is trying to rebuild the club in preparation for next season. I expect us to win a few and lose a few over the coming months and will probably end up around eighth or ninth in the table. Having seen every match so far this season I honestly don't believe we are one of the best six teams in this League at the moment.

• Moderation Lead

One step at a time. I doubt we'll get to the play-offs, it's too much of a big ask, and we've a very tough run of games (esp. the next 3), I just think we'll end up coming up short.

IMO, the best thing we can do, is get to the summer, have a clearout and an overhaul of the squad (wishful thinking I know), and go again next term.

I am also in the prepare for next season camp. I am enjoying victory, but the next four weeks will be very difficult - four tricky away nights. Our away form is impressive overall, but our midfield is limited, and when the games come thick and fast, I for one do not believe we are strong enough. Murphy will struggle to avoid injury in so many games, and we do not have the strength in depth. Great forward line though. Strong finish to the season, wins against Notlob, Blackpool and the Dingles, look forward for a change!

IMO, the best thing we can do, is get to the summer, have a clearout and an overhaul of the squad (wishful thinking I know), and go again next term.

That's probably the worst thing we could do to get promotion next year. Overhauling the squad would mean we'd have to wait months for it to settle down again. Clubs that go through major transitions quickly rarely have immediate success.

If we don't get up this year we need to retain continuity and just add quality personnel to squad. An overhaul would be an expensive and costly mistake - the time to do that was last summer but we failed miserably by keeping Kean in charge.

It really depends on how we fair against those teams up there around us beat some of them and the gap closes and turns the heat up on them the gap closed this weekend and if a few of them keep slipping we are placed to take advantage of this. If we can remain solid with the fire power of Rhodes Campbell CKR and the returning Best it is doable.

Archived