BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lancashire United-Pros and Cons

Guest Norbert

If only we were a normal football club and relegation was the only thing to worry about.

I would 'get over it'.

But will it stop there?

But what's that got to do with the other clubs? I'm a bit confused as to your rational reasoning behind this idea when you make statements like the above? It sounds like your saying it's down to our unique situation that means that we should be looking to merge?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, here's one. We carry on exactly as we are, about to enjoy our 14th season in the top 2 divisions. With a wage bill which roughly matches our income. Bottom half championship, top half league one is about where we should be, as it is for you, PNE, Barnsley, Huddersfield etc. With some luck, good management and a couple of youth team crackers, we've managed to stay away from the drop.

That's ok for me. It seems for you, you can't see past the Premier League now. Everything else is rubbish. Watching Rovers is rubbish, the championship's rubbish, not being on the telly is rubbish.

Deal with it.

Lancashire United, as already said on here by the sane majority, is alive and well at Old Trafford. So pop your dummy back in, and get back to Ewood. The Fourth Division was fun in parts.

Here's to another 34 years...

Well said.

If I read another "XXXXXXX just shows how far we have fallen". Yes we have fallen, and we might fall further, just like Sheff Weds, Sheff Utd, Forest, Derby, Leeds, Coventry and so on, and one day we might even bounce back like Man City, Norwich or Southampton, or we might not.

But what's that got to do with the other clubs? I'm a bit confused as to your rational reasoning behind this idea when you make statements like the above? It sounds like your saying it's down to our unique situation that means that we should be looking to merge?

If we were a thriving club, then there would be no need for an alternative. I would prefer to see Blackburn Rovers go from strength to strength as part of a competitive north west group.

However, I don't believe we will continue to have a fanbase big enough to sustain it long term. Not in the way we currently recognise (or recognised) it.

Venkys have accelerated matters somewhat during the last two years and also polarised opinion to the point that over half - half! - of our fanbase has vanished but in trust, it has been dwindling for years - only the decision to offer suicidally cheap season tickets arrested that - for a while at least.

The idea that everyone hates is simply an alternative future - if we want it. The idea to merge is if it were possible to preempt this and take the initiative.

Well said.

If I read another "XXXXXXX just shows how far we have fallen". Yes we have fallen, and we might fall further, just like Man City, Sheff Weds, Sheff Utd, Forest, Derby, Leeds, Coventry and so on, and one day we might even bounce back like Norwich or Southampton, or we might not.

Every club in your list is a city club. There is a reason why there are able to 'bounce back'. We just don't have the fans.

I will concede, if we are very lucky, maybe we can aspire to be like Blackpool.

If we were a thriving club, then there would be no need for an alternative. I would prefer to see Blackburn Rovers go from strength to strength as part of a competitive north west group.

However, I don't believe we will continue to have a fanbase big enough to sustain it long term. Not in the way we currently recognise (or recognised) it.

Venkys have accelerated matters somewhat during the last two years and also polarised opinion to the point that over half - half! - of our fanbase has vanished but in trust, it has been dwindling for years - only the decision to offer suicidally cheap season tickets arrested that - for a while at least.

The idea that everyone hates is simply an alternative future - if we want it. The idea to merge is if it were possible to preempt this and take the initiative.

Every club in your list is a city club. There is a reason why there are able to 'bounce back'. We just don't have the fans.

I will concede, if we are very lucky, maybe we can aspire to be like Blackpool.

Do Reading? Plus the list had plenty of other city clubs with large crowds who haven't bounced back, so it somewhat holes beneath the waterline your premise that crowds will equal what division "we" play in

Do Reading? Plus the list had plenty of other city clubs with large crowds who haven't bounced back, so it somewhat holes beneath the waterline your premise that crowds will equal what division "we" play in

So even though I keep mentioning FFP, people still keep asking that question?

Do you know what FFP means? And what it means to clubs like Rovers?

So even though I keep mentioning FFP, people still keep asking that question?

Do you know what FFP means? And what it means to clubs like Rovers?

Yes, we'll have to stop signing wasters like Danny Murphy and start signing cheap, hungry young players, like everyone else will have to. Will everyone else be merging or are we uniquely affected by Financial Fair Play?

You are not making a very convincing case so far.

To even entertain the fact that Rovers fans would would want to go and cheer on the same team as Burnley, and vice versa, just shows how much the 'Sky' years have turned some of our fanbase into a bunch of moaning, whinging keans with a bizarre sense of entitlement. Yes, it's @#/? at the moment, and yes it might get worse. but FFS to throw away nearly 140 years of history because we're getting beat a lot and not 'thriving' is frankly embarrassing.

It was a lot worse in the 70's and 80's but Rovers still managed to be a competetive and proud club.

Theno amd Stuart, you are an embarrassment to Rovers fans everywhere. Man up, as you both like to say, and stop whining like little babies.

It was a lot worse in the 70's and 80's but Rovers still managed to be a competetive and proud club.

Have you been asleep for the last two years? Nothing in our history has been worse than Venkys.

We will not be a proud club again until Venkys are gone.

I'd like a closed poll please.

Q. Would you be open to the concept of a Lancashire County club as a replacement for Lancashire's town clubs if it was the only way of competing due to the new FFP rules?

A1. Maybe but with lots of caveats

A2. Yes, but only if Rovers had already ceased to exist

A3. Yes, merge the clubs at the earliest opportunity

A3. No nay never

I still don't understand why would want a Lancashire Club? At first, I thought it was just a topic of debate or a discussion, but some seem to think it would actually be a good idea?

Could argue that blackburn rovers no longer exist and this is Venky fc and they just happen to play in blackburn. So if a club should be a team for the town that people of the town support and be proud of and the team represents them etc then someone should just start up blackburn Olympic again for disillusioned locals.

Main problem for me would mean last 30 years of watching rovers would have been a waste and for longer for the older boys. That said if people have no intention of watching "Venky fc" whilst owners are here and want a team from Blackburn to support then maybe a blackburn Olympic would be an option.

I'd not support anything else rather I've just stop watching them altogether until the owners leave then will pick it up again in whatever division find ourselves in.

Ah the Organ Grinder has returned ..... how's the recruitment campaign going over on Clarets Mad?

Still can't provide an original thought to mend our predicament can you? Why am I not suprised?

Rest assured Sparky.... sooner or later it WILL happen. Nothing can defy the gravity of football finances forever, what we have seen in Portsmouth, Brum, Bradford, Leeds, Coventry and Blackburn etc etc is the thin end of the wedge. My only regret is that Jack Walker should have made it happen 18 years or more ago and then we'd have been discussing all the positioning and manouevering from a position of power. :tu:

btw Does nobody else find it worth pointing out that in a nutshell I'd like to see created a real footballing power base created in this area for the local people. One that can punch it's weight with the best whilst for his part Ewood Spark declared not long ago that he would like to get rid of all the 'tremblers' and sit at Ewood sucking up to his heroes the Venky's with about 3000 other similarly committed fans. Whose for that idea?

Could argue that blackburn rovers no longer exist and this is Venky fc and they just happen to play in blackburn. So if a club should be a team for the town that people of the town support and be proud of and the team represents them etc then someone should just start up blackburn Olympic again for disillusioned locals.

Think again matt...... there is a Blackburn Olympic already! Has been for donkeys years too. ^_^

Think again matt...... there is a Blackburn Olympic already! Has been for donkeys years too. ^_^

Ha. Didn't know that they even still had a team. They must play in something even lower than the north west counties leagues. Can't be many lower ranked teams playing in the country with an fa cup win to their name!!

There used to be a Blackburn Olympic (and reserves) playing in Blackburn Combination but I think they disbanded several years ago.

Think it was last year that Blackburn Oympic of the Blackburn combination celebrated fifty years since they reformed.

There used to be a Blackburn Olympic (and reserves) playing in Blackburn Combination but I think they disbanded several years ago.

Still going just one team though no reserve team.

Ha. Didn't know that they even still had a team. They must play in something even lower than the north west counties leagues. Can't be many lower ranked teams playing in the country with an fa cup win to their name!!

They may use the name but its not the original Blackburn Olympic of the 1800's.

Have you been asleep for the last two years? Nothing in our history has been worse than Venkys.

We will not be a proud club again until Venkys are gone.

I wish i had! I meant economically, it was a lot worse for the club in the 70's and early 80's. The crowds were 6k and we couldn't have attracted footballing gods like Danny '45Kpw' Murphy back then.

• Moderation Lead

OK, here's one. We carry on exactly as we are, about to enjoy our 14th season in the top 2 divisions. With a wage bill which roughly matches our income. Bottom half championship, top half league one is about where we should be, as it is for you, PNE, Barnsley, Huddersfield etc. With some luck, good management and a couple of youth team crackers, we've managed to stay away from the drop.

That's ok for me. It seems for you, you can't see past the Premier League now. Everything else is rubbish. Watching Rovers is rubbish, the championship's rubbish, not being on the telly is rubbish.

Deal with it.

Lancashire United, as already said on here by the sane majority, is alive and well at Old Trafford. So pop your dummy back in, and get back to Ewood. The Fourth Division was fun in parts.

Here's to another 34 years...

The best post on this thread and it's by a Burnley fan.

I wish i had! I meant economically, it was a lot worse for the club in the 70's and early 80's. The crowds were 6k and we couldn't have attracted footballing gods like Danny '45Kpw' Murphy back then.

I still maintain that Venkys are worse. Having the 2013 version of Murphy in the side doesn't even improve matters.

Archived