BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fixtures

I wasn't attempting to denigrate Yeovil's achievements, the rise of any club from non-league status to the FL Championship is the stuff of dreams. It's what football is all about.

It did though really surprise me to find we are playing them in the league. I knew they were FL but had no idea how succesful. It just shows perfectly the collision course clubs can find themselves on. Yeovil on the up and Rovers on the down.

I'm not embarrassed we are playing them just surprised.

I grew up watching non-league and my club Guildford City's local derby was Wimbledon so I know what it's all about. We used to play them when the famous Dickie Guy kept goal for the Dons. May even have seen Yeovil in the old Southern League. So apologies if I caused offence.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last game against Yeovil - we were the 'Prestigious Team' despite being in the First Division.

First Division Blackburn Rovers beat a Yeovil Town XI by 10-0 in front of 1,672 in Warren Patmore's Testimonial match at Huish Park this evening. Rovers goals were scored by Egil Ostenstadt (4), Craig Hignett (3), Dance, Douglas and Johnson. Yeovil used around 30 players on the night, including many players from the 96-97 ICIS League championship-winning team. More details on the game will be available tomorrow.

Crikey, even Charles Dance got on the scoresheet!

I wasn't attempting to denigrate Yeovil's achievements, the rise of any club from non-league status to the FL Championship is the stuff of dreams. It's what football is all about. It did though really surprise me to find we are playing them in the league. I knew they were FL but had no idea how succesful. It just shows perfectly the collision course clubs can find themselves on. Yeovil on the up and Rovers on the down. I'm not embarrassed we are playing them just surprised. I grew up watching non-league and my club Guildford City's local derby was Wimbledon so I know what it's all about. We used to play them when the famous Dickie Guy kept goal for the Dons. May even have seen Yeovil in the old Southern League. So apologies if I caused offence.

I didn't think you were slagging them off, just commenting on how fortunes can change. That's what I took it to mean anyway.

Was discussing this yesterday.Many Rovers fans gave this a miss.Anyone on here who was there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Centenary_Tournament

Yeah, it was a really good weekend. The football was a bit of a waste of time but it was great around London with so many clubs' fans around all having a good laugh and drink together. Rovers had a couple of hundred there and the only teams with big supports as I remember it were Leeds and Palace. We went out of the first round on penalties I think.

And daughter number 2 has just organised her wedding for may 3rd as being about the only weekend she's free because of the commonwealth games,world cup, open golf Wimbledon, Tour de France and every other summer sports event she might have to work on. Now she's gutted in case it matters!

Just out of interest as they do not hold copyright to dates or the words home or Away, so I presume club nicknames etc would this not be in breach of their cash cow

Having now read the Football Data Co vs Yahoo judgement (what a fun read that was) it seems that the copyright claim was upheld because of the skill and effort that goes into organising them. So much like you can't copyright individual musical notes, but you can copyright their arrangement, it seems it's the ordering and dates selected that are the issue. If they had been purely random or purely algorithmic (i.e. you could predict them) the they wouldn't be copyrightable, but as they fall somewhere between the two (i.e. they start off random and then have logical rules applied (i.e. team x and y can't be home at the same time, boxing day / NYE favour local fixtures etc) then they are). So no, changing the names wouldn't help.

If I had more time, I'd write something to design the optimal fixture list, just to prove a point, but I'm sure Yahoo already considered that.

The only thing I ask of all of you is to welcome me into the Blackburn End for every home game this year the cool dude has decided to buy a season ticket in the Blackburn End. Having met good people like Tom M,Glenn P,Glen M,Mark F, & having chatted many times to our very own Kamy I hope with my renewed support we can get to where we need to be I am looking forward to it and I hope you will all make me feel at home as this is my 1st season ticket at Rovers. I just ask you all to give your full support to Team GB as he is one of the nice guys and deserves our full support to turn round the fortunes of our great club I look forward to catching up with many of you as the season progresses & lets stuff the dingles in september and more so in March 2014. Now all I need is to find somewhere nice in BB.

Wigan away is likely to get moved to the Sunday as they'll be playing in Europe the Thursday before. For some reason they've managed to go straight into the group stages and dont have to go through qualifying.

Wigan away is likely to get moved to the Sunday as they'll be playing in Europe the Thursday before. For some reason they've managed to go straight into the group stages and dont have to go through qualifying.

Shame because Wigan away has been a traditional big day out for us over the years. Work the following day wouldn't be good!

Pleased that the two games between Christmas and New Year are at home. I am I right in thinking that the last home Boxing day fixture was Liverpool in 2006 when Tugay made a fool of Steven Gerrard?

Pleased that the two games between Christmas and New Year are at home. I am I right in thinking that the last home Boxing day fixture was Liverpool in 2006 when Tugay made a fool of Steven Gerrard?

Stoke in 10/11 I think - losing that 2-0 coupled with the 1-1 home draw with West Ham a week earlier straight away showed the direction we were heading in under Kean.

Stoke in 10/11 I think - losing that 2-0 coupled with the 1-1 home draw with West Ham a week earlier straight away showed the direction we were heading in under Kean.

Remember that game well, ended up on the first row in the Riverside due to the Mrs not being able to get a ticket in the Darren End (she insists on coming to boxing day games)

I think that's the coldest I have ever been in my entire life.... I've never considered walking out of Ewood before, even under some dismal performances and terrible conditions but on that day, if my lower body wasn't frozen to the seat I'd have been in the Aqueduct by half time.

Thanks Tom hopefully it turns out the same the last time I lived in the area under souey 2nd season in the championship and the rest is history when Jansen headed in that goal @ deepdale and people in the streets of blackburn singing "we are premier league said we are premier league" oh happy days hopefully we have the same outcome.

Remember that game well, ended up on the first row in the Riverside due to the Mrs not being able to get a ticket in the Darren End (she insists on coming to boxing day games)

I think that's the coldest I have ever been in my entire life.... I've never considered walking out of Ewood before, even under some dismal performances and terrible conditions but on that day, if my lower body wasn't frozen to the seat I'd have been in the Aqueduct by half time.

It was the first and only game I have ever walked out of early (I went when the second went in). Our performance was rubbish and the temperature seemed like -30 with windchill!

Coldest game I remember was that cup tie with Sunderland that went to extra time and looked like going ot pens. Bored out of my mind and only stayed becasue somehow my brain had gone so numb it hadn't told my body I wanted to leave.

Coldest game I remember was that cup tie with Sunderland that went to extra time and looked like going ot pens. Bored out of my mind and only stayed becasue somehow my brain had gone so numb it hadn't told my body I wanted to leave.

The Stadium of @#/?. Always sodding freezing.

Hey,

I'm considering flying out for Bournemouth away because its the day before my NFL team plays at Wembley. Any Idea how many travelling fans we would get for that fixture. I imagine not many, because of the distance but will it be 20? a couple hundered? more less? any educated guess would go a long way to helping me decide if it's worth it. Thanks.

Jay

• Moderation Lead

Hey,

I'm considering flying out for Bournemouth away because its the day before my NFL team plays at Wembley. Any Idea how many travelling fans we would get for that fixture. I imagine not many, because of the distance but will it be 20? a couple hundered? more less? any educated guess would go a long way to helping me decide if it's worth it. Thanks.

Jay

If it's at the weekend, then a few hundred, if it's re-scheduled for a weeknight, your guess is as good as mine, but definitely not many!!

• Moderation Lead

Thanks for the response any reason why it might be rescheduled?

If there's a cup replay or anything like that. We ended up with a fair few distant Tuesday night away games last season because of our FA cup involvement.

Archived