BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Championship 2013/14

There is at least one viable buyer that I know of out there who could easily finance Rovers to run as they have over the last 18 months.

Will they make a viable offer to Venkys? Are Venkys selling?

I suspect Venkys would only sell if they are offered what they paid for the club which is unrealistic. They are here to stay for the foreseeable future.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, this is equally a tad simplistic. Have added in bold a bit more detail.

I agree, they're all decent managers but my point was really who would have wanted Dyche, Rosler or Pearson before this season? They had done decent jobs previously but didn't pull up any trees and had varying degrees of succes with different clubs.

Dyche and Pearson weren't hugely popular at their respective clubs last season but look what they've achieved now.

Do think we missed a trick not getting Mick McCarthy in. How on earth he's got that Ipswich side anywhere near the play offs is beyond. You could say the same about Dyche but he's actually got some very talented players there, including the front two.

I agree, they're all decent managers but my point was really who would have wanted Dyche, Rosler or Pearson before this season? They had done decent jobs previously but didn't pull up any trees and had varying degrees of succes with different clubs.

Dyche and Pearson weren't hugely popular at their respective clubs last season but look what they've achieved now.

Do think we missed a trick not getting Mick McCarthy in. How on earth he's got that Ipswich side anywhere near the play offs is beyond. You could say the same about Dyche but he's actually got some very talented players there, including the front two.

I see your point - they're not perhaps the stronger contenders that McCarthy and a few of the other more experienced ones were. However compared to Bowyer both Rosler and Pearson had considerable experience - in terms of having a couple more years under there belt, and indications of success. Rosler getting near to promotion last season, Hull and Leicester fighting over Pearson. Of course hindsight helps and shows these to be stronger indicators of ability than perhaps first thought at the time, But I guess my point is this:

1) There were some indicators

2) More crucially, a club's board/whoever's doing the appointing to look in more depth to see if these indicators are signs the manager has ability. Whelan did with Rosler, Pearson was kept on at Leicester, Burnley checked out Dyche and thought he was worth going with. What grates for me is that we seem to have made no effort whatsoever to see if there's any substance behind any of these promising managers, whether these indicators of success are evidence of managerial ability. That is the real crime. That is what is so frustrating.

Yes we may have ended up with a dud and it's not a 100% certainty of a process, but you certainly improve your odds of getting it right if you do your groundwork and don't keep going for the same tired old plan of inexperience.

Thanks for a well reasoned reply. Granted, some people will move the goal posts when they look like being wrong, but for a lot of people, after Kean, after Berg, after Appleton - some people shouted out for experience time and time again and questioning why we hadn't gone down that route. Indeed, to not do 4 times in a row, when the alternative continues to bring no success is baffling at best, and at worst - let's just put it as vested interests. So I'm not totally sure that it is all that new a cry, comparing him to McCarthy and the like.

Really appreciate your honesty regarding McClaren et al. Wasn't totally convinced on him myself, but saw him as better qualified on the experience front which we so desperately needed, and he did have some strong successes on his CV which made him appealing. My big reservation was whether in England he could ever get over the brolly incident - which I doubted he would. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. In fairness, neither of us have the time or resources to interview, fully investigate etc. although the owners (or those working for them ) do, and had 4 opportunities to do so and didn't. Which is pretty criminal IMO.

One final point on Ipswich. Those yesterday men had a massive negative effect. One quote from Jewell which springs to mind was that the club doesn't need a fitness coach (Maj will love that one) as his teams hadn't had one in the past and had done well. Just one example of the havoc those yesterday men caused. Keane selling Rhodes is another example of this.

Don, t get me wrong on McCarthy, I would have been chuffed to bits had he been named our manager.

I suppose the source of my irritation is just that very few people (I was not one) expected Bowyer to get us to mid table at best. Some even thought we'd be flirting with relegation. Now Bowyer has surpassed their expectations they still want him fired. That's why I am befuddled. BTW my pre season prediction for Bowyer was for us to struggle then a late surge into the playoffs. I was, for this suggestion, accused of being on drugs heh heh. I was almost right. Let just hope he's learned some things amd our young team will be a tad more canny next season. Looking forward to it.

Don, t get me wrong on McCarthy, I would have been chuffed to bits had he been named our manager.

I suppose the source of my irritation is just that very few people (I was not one) expected Bowyer to get us to mid table at best. Some even thought we'd be flirting with relegation. Now Bowyer has surpassed their expectations they still want him fired. That's why I am befuddled. BTW my pre season prediction for Bowyer was for us to struggle then a late surge into the playoffs. I was, for this suggestion, accused of being on drugs heh heh. I was almost right. Let just hope he's learned some things amd our young team will be a tad more canny next season. Looking forward to it.

Can admit that's frustrating. There are some who can't bare to be wrong, and I totally get what you mean on that point. I do wonder if as over the past season more of our financial nightmare is coming to light the goalposts have moved a bit? Perhaps, perhaps not? I think for me personally, that's toughened my attitude towards Bowyer. I do wonder as more of our financial plight is shown how much we'll rue not making the most of this season.

I guess that's the sticking point with Bowyer - we hope he's learned some things, we hope he's become more canny. Has he? Well the improved form of the second half of the season says yes but the same repeated mistakes say no. It's not something I'd be happy to place my confidence in.

Incidentally on the what ifs IF only we'd have got Kenny Jackett - promotions with Swansea and Millwall, kept Millwall in the championship, good cup runs - and with the benefit of hindsight he's done well with Wolves too. He was free as well, after leaving Millwall, so think we missed a trick there too.

Sad day for our fellow Rovers from the west country.

Got a good kicking there in the early 90's so glad they have gone out the league

Also another Rovers relegated from League 1 Tranmere (bet there was a few bets on that :) )

What completely over the top reaction by the Birmingham players and manager today. I can understand the fans celebrating staying up but Lee Clark and his players had nothing to celebrate in fact they should have been embarrassed that they needed an injury time goal to stay up with the squad of players at that club.

As for that Leicester player his dive was an absolute disgrace when his side are already up as Champions and he cheats like that to send Doncaster down, a club that have had to work tremendously hard to get up last season and stay up this season. The Ref should be demoted to refereeing conference football and that Leicester player should be banned for the whole of next season.

What completely over the top reaction by the Birmingham players and manager today. I can understand the fans celebrating staying up but Lee Clark and his players had nothing to celebrate in fact they should have been embarrassed that they needed an injury time goal to stay up with the squad of players at that club.

As for that Leicester player his dive was an absolute disgrace when his side are already up as Champions and he cheats like that to send Doncaster down, a club that have had to work tremendously hard to get up last season and stay up this season. The Ref should be demoted to refereeing conference football and that Leicester player should be banned for the whole of next season.

Didn't see it but if that is what happened, shameful.

Now i know we have history between the clubs but a little mention to Lee Clark, hes been getting stick all season from everyone and for only winning two games at home but the issues he has had to deal with such as the owner being locked up, not spent a fee for any player in his two years there, Redmond leaving for Norwich last summer means that his celebrations are quite understandable to be honest.

Now i know we have history between the clubs but a little mention to Lee Clark, hes been getting stick all season from everyone and for only winning two games at home but the issues he has had to deal with such as the owner being locked up, not spent a fee for any player in his two years there, Redmond leaving for Norwich last summer means that his celebrations are quite understandable to be honest.

I think having been in the relegation places until the 90th minute he has got every reason to celebrate the result. Its the fans / clubs decision as to wether they should be in that position in the first place.

In regards the rest of the debate, to me the fact Burnley have been promoted in 2nd place (as opposed to via playoffs) is testament to two things... A very poor division (lets not forget Derby where well below us in the league when Schteve M was appointed, and yet very nearly got there, Wigwn sacked Coyle etc, QPR have been poor for months yet more or less walked a play-off place, )...and good management.

We may not get such a good chance to be promoted again..thats my concern. bowyer has improved on last season, but is it enough? Don Mackay never really failed, yet was never good enough to gain promotion. Is Bowyer?

Ah so it wasn't luck now, it was a poor division.

I can't say I agree but at the end of the day you can only beat what's in front of you. What I would say is very few teams were able to find any consistency, being excellent one week and dreadful the next whilst we were, to quote Dyche, relentless.

At this stage I'm sure it is scant consolation but your end to the season must give you hope for next year - and if you needed any extra motivation if you can get up you'd be odds on to be swapping leagues with us.

Longsiders don't be so sensitive.

You went up fair and square and the application of that relentless philosophy is one I have long pointed out for Bowyer to tap into.

He made great efforts to liken his style to Malky Mackay earlier this season who is obviously linked to Dyche through Watford.

The telling stats were really for Cardiff and Burnley. Tight at the the back. Get the first goal and do not give that lead away once you have it.

That is the bridge Bowyer needs to cross next season if we are going to emulate you guys.

Didn't mean it to sound sensitive, just a gentle bit of rib tickling :-)

I was wrong on Dyche in the summer and if I'd looked more closely at his time last season maybe I'd have seen it. Dyche came into a team conceding an average of almost 3 per game and all but immediately turned the same players into one of the best defences in the league. He added a proper keeper in the summer and our defensive solidity has been amazing. It's an old saying but the best teams get results when playing badly, we did that by being hard to beat however badly we were playing. I'd guess your biggest summer challenge is to improve your defence whilst maintaining the attacking threat which you clearly have. An interesting point about the previous season, we actually picked up more points when Austin was out then we did when he played. As good as Rhodes is perhaps sacrificing him and bringing in new players might not be the disaster it appears on the surface?

Only the play offs to sort now and whilst the head says derby I really am struggling to call it, Wigan and QPR have genuine quality whilst Brighton are no push overs. Could be a great series of games coming up!

Archived