BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Championship 2013/14

Not holding with this near misses arguement at all. We are where we are because that's where we desrve to be. There's been no point of the season where we have looked like a team who is likely to be going up. It's easy to look at the things that have gone against us but what about the ones that went in our favour? Can't be bothered to do it but you can bet that there are just as many as there are for every team in every season. Bottom line is we are behind the pace and need an improvment to finish top 6 next year or a vast improvment to finish top 2.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t really use the IF argument over a 46 game season, I am sure that the other teams will also have had “if” moments. I didn’t expect us to finish in the top 6, but hoped for a top 10 finish, felt that after 3 years of chaos it was asking too much to mount a top 6 challenge, especially with the player turnover this season. That said, the last month or so we have been given countless opportunities to get into the top 6 and unfortunately we have not been good enough to take them. This is partly down to players not performing and partly down to some “questionable” tactical decisions made Gary Bowyer and his team.

Despite this disappointment, we have made progress this season and generally I am happy that we have for the large part been in looking upwards rather than downwards, this coupled with some astute transfer business leaves in a much healthier position than we were 12 months ago. Therefore, I am happy to go into next season with Bowyer incharge, he will need to learn from some of the mistakes he has made this season and ensure that we push on next season, certainly the last 11 games have shown that as a team Rovers are starting to come together. Scotty pointed out on twitter that in essence he needs to improve us to get 6 more points next season to ensure a playoff spot or 15-18 points to mount a serious automatic promotion challenge.

If Bowyer can’t push us at the start of next season then rightly his position will come under pressure. The best thing that can happen this close season is Venky's deciding to sell us, there is no long or even medium term future for Venky's and Rovers. Their relationship with the fans and the town in general is broken beyond repair.

Not holding with this near misses arguement at all. We are where we are because that's where we desrve to be. There's been no point of the season where we have looked like a team who is likely to be going up. It's easy to look at the things that have gone against us but what about the ones that went in our favour? Can't be bothered to do it but you can bet that there are just as many as there are for every team in every season. Bottom line is we are behind the pace and need an improvment to finish top 6 next year or a vast improvment to finish top 2.

It's entirely up to you what you hold and what you don't. In my opinion this has been a season of frustration and a heck of a lot of misfortune. We've had injuries at bad times including Marshall (serious), Evans (serious), Cairney (missed vital few games including the derby), King etc and have suffered a fair degree of misfortune and appalling decisions.

I'd enjoy seeing a list of things that have gone for us to compare and contrast. At the moment I have Boro away where we got murdered and picked up a point, Rhodes goal at Turf to pick up a point, Barnsley man being sent off at Ewood, and Rob Green spilling Spurr's goal. Other than that have any of our penalties been debatable? Have we won games that we didn't deserve to? Have we scored goals through awful individual mistakes?

Whilst we probably do deserve to be where we are, we have undoubtedly had a lot of bad luck along the way. I don't care what anyone says about 'it evens itself out', that's complete garbage. Just ask Burnley - everything has gone for them this season except for the Vokes injury and Ings for a few weeks. That btw is taking nothing away from quite frankly an incredible achievement.

Are we behind the pace? There isn't much to suggest Reading have been far better than us, and Wigan went on an unbelievable run to catapult themselves into the top 6. QPR were on fire until November/December and have fallen away badly, Derby again went on an incredible run of about 8 wins on the bounce and now they've sort of bumbled along to win 5 on the spin. Only the top two have been streets better.

Us? Well we started fairly poorly and have been terribly inconsistent i.e. when we look to be putting a run together and within touching distance of the play-offs we have @#/? it up for ourselves. That doesn't mean we have been way off the pace though; it just means that at vital times throughout the season we have failed to push on. 15 clean sheets, 68 goals scored and could eventually miss out on the play-offs on goal difference only.

We've built a good, solid side and IMV have one of the best strikers in the division in Gestede; he's an absolute menace for the opposition and once again on Saturday showed just what an asset he is to us. Bring together our extremely good midfield of Conway, Cairney, Evans and Marshall with WillLowe/ King / Taylor etc on the bench and this lot can be a very decent side.

Whether that very decent side will be managed by Bowyer or by someone else is an argument that will rage on and one that I can understand both sides to.

Does he deserve the sack? Not in my opinion.

12 months......

Team vs Birmingham - May 2013

Grzegorz Sandomierski

Todd Kane

Scott Dann

Grant Hanley

Josh Morris

Lee Williamson

David Jones

Morten Gamst Pedersen

David Goodwillie

Joshua King

Jordan Rhodes

Team vs Charlton April 2014

ROVERS:

Robinson;

Keane,

Hanley ©,

Kilgallon,

Olsson;

King,

Cairney,

Evans,

Conway;

Gestede,

Rhodes.

Key injuries that would probably feature usually;

Spurr

Marshall

I'd enjoy seeing a list of things that have gone for us to compare and contrast. At the moment I have Boro away where we got murdered and picked up a point, Rhodes goal at Turf to pick up a point, Barnsley man being sent off at Ewood, and Rob Green spilling Spurr's goal. Other than that have any of our penalties been debatable? Have we won games that we didn't deserve to? Have we scored goals through awful individual mistakes?

Whilst we probably do deserve to be where we are, we have undoubtedly had a lot of bad luck along the way. I don't care what anyone says about 'it evens itself out', that's complete garbage. Just ask Burnley - everything has gone for them this season except for the Vokes injury and Ings for a few weeks. That btw is taking nothing away from quite frankly an incredible achievement.

Not going to get into all that but here are a couple of examples for you Jimmy : clear penalty on a Reading forward (foul by Hanley) late in the game at Ewood, I burst out laughing when the Reading lad was booked for diving. Clear penalty for a handball by Kilgallon in the game at Reading. Got 4 points from Reading didn't we, if both those pens had been given and scored, we'd have likely got 1 point. Opposite for Reading, so they'd be six points better off compared to us.

Just an example of pros and cons. I'm not getting into a lengthy debate.

Not going to get into all that but here are a couple of examples for you Jimmy : clear penalty on a Reading forward (foul by Hanley) late in the game at Ewood, I burst out laughing when the Reading lad was booked for diving. Clear penalty for a handball by Kilgallon in the game at Reading. Got 4 points from Reading didn't we, if both those pens had been given and scored, we'd have likely got 1 point. Opposite for Reading, so they'd be six points better off compared to us.

Just an example of pros and cons. I'm not getting into a lengthy debate.

Yep two good examples Neil fair enough.

Evans injury whilst on international duty was just bad luck, I think that ultimately cost us a play-off spot if you look at the results with/without him this season.

Agreed, Evans makes us tick, crucial to the XI

Evans injury whilst on international duty was just bad luck, I think that ultimately cost us a play-off spot if you look at the results with/without him this season.

We shouldn't be so reliant on one player with a squad the size of ours. What if Evans gets a bad injury first game of next season?

Can’t really use the IF argument over a 46 game season, I am sure that the other teams will also have had “if” moments. I didn’t expect us to finish in the top 6, but hoped for a top 10 finish, felt that after 3 years of chaos it was asking too much to mount a top 6 challenge, especially with the player turnover this season. That said, the last month or so we have been given countless opportunities to get into the top 6 and unfortunately we have not been good enough to take them. This is partly down to players not performing and partly down to some “questionable” tactical decisions made Gary Bowyer and his team.

Despite this disappointment, we have made progress this season and generally I am happy that we have for the large part been in looking upwards rather than downwards, this coupled with some astute transfer business leaves in a much healthier position than we were 12 months ago. Therefore, I am happy to go into next season with Bowyer incharge, he will need to learn from some of the mistakes he has made this season and ensure that we push on next season, certainly the last 11 games have shown that as a team Rovers are starting to come together. Scotty pointed out on twitter that in essence he needs to improve us to get 6 more points next season to ensure a playoff spot or 15-18 points to mount a serious automatic promotion challenge.

If Bowyer can’t push us at the start of next season then rightly his position will come under pressure. The best thing that can happen this close season is Venky's deciding to sell us, there is no long or even medium term future for Venky's and Rovers. Their relationship with the fans and the town in general is broken beyond repair.

Well said Kamy---I'm referring to your last 2 sentences. I get really keaned off when I read that the Club will die without them.

This article, as well as Swansea"s experiences, show what can be done without rich (but clueless) owners.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/18/portsmouth-care-community-club-pompey

Kamy - if Venky's decide to sell us - how do we keep this squad together so we can push on as you describe ?

Kamy - if Venky's decide to sell us - how do we keep this squad together so we can push on as you describe ?

There is at least one viable buyer that I know of out there who could easily finance Rovers to run as they have over the last 18 months.

Just come back. Hotel Illa D'or, Puerta Pollensa. No football shirts to be seen. The only football insignia I saw was a bloke from Standish with Rovers shorts on who was an Everton fan (true), hia lad used to be in Rovers reserves or summat.

I bet there were plenty of lycra cycling tops though.

For all Rovers changes this season, Championship has been very average and a play-off place was ours for the taking.

Bottom line is a lack of managerial nous cost us big time on several occasions and must have cost us at least 10 points.

No coincidence that those clubs with managers (Pearson, Dyche, McClaren, a partly interested Redknapp, Rosler & Adkins) who have a modicum of nous occupy the top six places.

Very much doubt that Bowyer will go any better next season - you either have nous or you don't and I don't think he has.

Lets not forget the nous of several other experienced managers who have not made it, including your much trumpeted Wee Dougie. Or does that not count.

What a clown. They said they were aiming for promotion, and automatic, especially when they were there or near there for most of the season. As soon as he starts struggling he changes the goalposts so it's not his fault. It's never his fault! Squad so bad in pre-season - it was his squad! Also there was no mention of that at all, all the while they were in the top 2. To me the most overrated manager ever.

Incidentally I still think the experienced manager argument stands, but would not include this over-hyped chump amongst them. A manager with a larger wage budget than Athletico Madrid and Dortmund can only finish play-offs. (I realize it's not a direct indication of success, how much money you spend on wages, but still, that's a huge budget.) But of course, it's not his fault.

Agree. McCarthy hasn't had anywhere near the financial backing Ipswich had, and on-field inherited a pretty sorry mess. Not the off field shenanigans we've had but on field they were all over the place. He's not had the financial backing Bowyer has, he's not been able to ship as many players out either, but on a much smaller budget with less room to make changes, he's got his team fighting for, and almost got playoffs. Added to which he got 2 clubs promoted from this division, I don't get what the disrespect is about.

Not disresoect, I have the utmost respect for him. I think it is just he was bandied about as the benchmark for a proper manager now that Bower has acheived more success people are defeniding him. I dont think Ipswich were that bad just had a yesterdays man in charge. Tbh I expected McCarthy to get Ipswich promoted this season. Maybe he should be sacked cos he did not live upto my expectations unlike Bowyer who should be sacked because he has exceeded most people's expectations. Jesus h christ.

McClaren, done a fantastic job and I was one of several who in no way shape or form wanted him here.

Dyche now is the real deal. End of last season most dingles wanted him canned. I just hope hes brilliant t enough to hammer Reading.

Uwe Rosler, who? I can only imagine the furor had he been appointed here.

Not disresoect, I have the utmost respect for him. I think it is just he was bandied about as the benchmark for a proper manager now that Bower has acheived more success people are defeniding him. I dont think Ipswich were that bad just had a yesterdays man in charge. Tbh I expected McCarthy to get Ipswich promoted this season. Maybe he should be sacked cos he did not live upto my expectations unlike Bowyer who should be sacked because he has exceeded most people's expectations. Jesus h christ.

McClaren, done a fantastic job and I was one of several who in no way shape or form wanted him here.

Dyche now is the real deal. End of last season most dingles wanted him canned. I just hope hes brilliant t enough to hammer Reading.

With Mick, his chairman said at the start of the season they had to hit ffp rules and he wasn't putting more than £5m into club this season, verses the £72m he has put in over the past 4 seasons. So he had to reduce the wage bill by 35%, so he's done a pretty good job to be honest.

You can read more about it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26668154, I assume Ipswich and other championship chairmen that have got themselves in line to meet FFP rules are not going to want to change the rules so QPR and us are allowed a competitive advantage

DMTP----have you read the article I posted above?

I hadn't - but it doesn't change the question I placed to Kamy. The only way Portsmouth have survived is by dropping down the leagues and selling (or giving away) most of their best players - hardly keeping the excellent squad we now have together. I hope the potential buyer comes through - and that the Venky's can be pursuaded to cut their losses - personally can't see them admitting defeat or the huge losses (nobody would give them back the money they have spent buying Rovers let alone all the debts they have accrued.)

I hadn't - but it doesn't change the question I placed to Kamy. The only way Portsmouth have survived is by dropping down the leagues and selling (or giving away) most of their best players - hardly keeping the excellent squad we now have together. I hope the potential buyer comes through - and that the Venky's can be pursuaded to cut their losses - personally can't see them admitting defeat or the huge losses (nobody would give them back the money they have spent buying Rovers let alone all the debts they have accrued.)

In the words of the great Steve Kean we might have to take one step backwards to make two forwards!!

Thanks for a well reasoned reply. Granted, some people will move the goal posts when they look like being wrong, but for a lot of people, after Kean, after Berg, after Appleton - some people shouted out for experience time and time again and questioning why we hadn't gone down that route. Indeed, to not do 4 times in a row, when the alternative continues to bring no success is baffling at best, and at worst - let's just put it as vested interests. So I'm not totally sure that it is all that new a cry, comparing him to McCarthy and the like.

Really appreciate your honesty regarding McClaren et al. Wasn't totally convinced on him myself, but saw him as better qualified on the experience front which we so desperately needed, and he did have some strong successes on his CV which made him appealing. My big reservation was whether in England he could ever get over the brolly incident - which I doubted he would. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. In fairness, neither of us have the time or resources to interview, fully investigate etc. although the owners (or those working for them ) do, and had 4 opportunities to do so and didn't. Which is pretty criminal IMO.

One final point on Ipswich. Those yesterday men had a massive negative effect. One quote from Jewell which springs to mind was that the club doesn't need a fitness coach (Maj will love that one) as his teams hadn't had one in the past and had done well. Just one example of the havoc those yesterday men caused. Keane selling Rhodes is another example of this.

Hmm, this is equally a tad simplistic. Have added in bold a bit more detail.

That's a very simplistic post, mercerman. You've just picked all the managers in the top 6 without looking at the bigger picture.

What has Pearson done previously in his career? Nothing. What he was given was time to build a promotion winning team at Leicester and they've seen the rewards this season. Been in high demand. Leicester, then Hull wanted him, was doing ok there, then Leicester wanted him back. The fact 2 teams wanting promotion had him in a bit of a tug of war suggests he has something about him - oh and he has several seasons more experience than Bowyer.

Again, what has Dyche done previously? He did a decent job at Burnley last season abd did ok at Watford but hardly pulled up any trees. I believe he got Watford to their highest position in 4 years. Not bad for a start. And he only had on half season with Burnley, not masses of time to do anything. However he's a rookie manager so how much could he have done?

Redknapp spends an absolute fortune at his clubs and is a bit hit and miss. Done a poor job at qpr. Totally agree. Most overrated manager ever imo. Both he and Dyche aren't great examples for those advocating experience.

Rosler has done well so far but jury is still out on him. But probably coming down on his side. Done well with Brentford, got Wigan up the table into playoffs and semi final.

McClaren flopped at Forest but done well at derby. But had a great reputation as a coach, had done very well in Holland, winning a trophy. Did ok with Boro, winning the LC and getting to the UEFA cup final. Also has experience as assistant at Man U, managed the England team (albeit badly!) and in the top league in Germany. That's not a bad CV or amount of experience.

Adkins is someone I do like as is McCarthy. Agree

How is what Bowyer has done this season any different to what Pearson and Dyche did last season? Dyche had far less resources

The championship was very average this season but was even more average last season with teams from the bottom constantly beating the top teams. It will be average again next season and the season after that and so on.

Dont see how you can say bowyer doesn't have managerial nous. We are on our best unbeaten run for TWENTY YEARS, are one of the highest goalscorers in the lge away from home and have kept one of the most amount of clean sheets at home. He's also brought in Conway, Cairney and Gestede for less than ONE MILLION pounds. That's not bad for a manager with no nous ;)

Archived