BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leicester City vs Blackburn Rovers: Tuesday 17th September 2013

Jimmy612

For others to give it him someone has to damn well get it. Nothing wrong with JR joining in the fun and grafting a bit himself is there? Until Dunn / Rochina get back and if we had a replacement it might be worth benching him for some away games where we are likely to be hard pressed.

I think people have already said what I'd say to that but I'll have a go anyway. There is nothing wrong with him joining in the fun and grafting, but I don't think he is lazy, and there is no real fun for him to join in his area of the pitch. We already only play with one forward, do you really want that one forward coming really deep all the time, knackering himself out so he isn't as sharp for the type of play we bought him for? If you want him that deep we might as well play with NO forwards, and just put an extra midfielder on.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Rhodes dropped back deep enough to have an effect on the game there would literally be nobody up front or close to the box. The system is designed specifically for him to remain around the 18 yard box to feed off the scraps our midfield provides for him.

Whether that system works away from home is a different matter entirely, but blaming Jordan is nonsense. I guarantee he is doing exactly what he's told.

+1

Correct. The thing is at the min the tactics just don't work well away from home. In this Div a lot of teams go away from home and have a go and at Ewood with the team we have now it seems to suit us more than last season yet away we go and stand off too deep.

Saxoman is going over the top but Rhodes does need to look at himself in a mirror sometimes. Without a doubt he could contribute more off the ball to benefit the team imo.

I can't believe we only have one striker in the ranks. God forbid if the "one trick pony" ever gets injured.

I think people have already said what I'd say to that but I'll have a go anyway. There is nothing wrong with him joining in the fun and grafting, but I don't think he is lazy, and there is no real fun for him to join in his area of the pitch. We already only play with one forward, do you really want that one forward coming really deep all the time, knackering himself out so he isn't as sharp for the type of play we bought him for? If you want him that deep we might as well play with NO forwards, and just put an extra midfielder on.

Everton have done that quite successfully for years under Moyes.

The point about a CF dropping deep or running wide is not just about him getting the ball it's also about him losing his centre half. If he drops then someone else should move forward to take his position, King maybe. If you want some proof then we've just suffered movement like that working against us when Stanislas befuddled or defence and scored an excellent opener on Sat.

Sounds like we played well second half but the damage was already done. Certainly an improvement on last year though and it's a very tough place to go so not too downhearted.

Playing cairney in an advanced role does not work. We were a different team when he went to a deeper role and King went up front. Really miss Dunn and Rochina up there but we have to play Judge or King up there until they get back.

Taylor made a massive difference when he came on today, just as he did when he came on against Burnley. Has to start against huddersfield.

Our away form is a real concern as is our tendency to concede the first goal. However, team spirit, passing football and talented young players who are growing each match is a real positive.

Overall, pleased with the progress we have made so far this season. Last season we would have caved in at half time ans lost 3 or 4 nil. This season, we didn't give up, got back in it, and should have got a point.

I can't believe we only have one striker in the ranks. God forbid if the "one trick pony" ever gets injured.

Very true Stuart. That is my standard retort to those goons who guarantee Rhodes will score 25+ this season.

Taylor made a massive difference when he came on today, just as he did when he came on against Burnley.

Is that cos Taylor is so good or that Marshall is very poor?

btw.... does anybody know if Judge has been criticising Bowyers team selections on some rent a gob site? I'm pretty sure he must have. ^_^

Very true Stuart. That is my standard retort to those goons who guarantee Rhodes will score 25+ this season.

Is that cos Taylor is so good or that Marshall is very poor?

btw.... does anybody know if Judge been criticising Bowyers team selections? ^_^

Ha ! A one trick pony... and that trick is to SCORE goals for quite a poor team. What a strange thing for a STRIKER to do eh ! FFS.

Everton have done that quite successfully for years under Moyes.

The point about a CF dropping deep or running wide is not just about him getting the ball it's also about him losing his centre half. If he drops then someone else should move forward to take his position, King maybe. If you want some proof then we've just suffered movement like that working against us when Stanislas befuddled or defence and scored an excellent opener on Sat.

Are you saying Everton have played with no striker whatsoever, for years? Or have I misunderstood? And Everton, despite all the praise, have in fact been a bit of a yo yo team quite often, sometimes coming close to relegation. I don't understand why Rhodes should drop really deep and someone else run up to cover. Wouldn't it make more sense if Rhodes stayed where he was and the other person stayed where he was and fought for the ball? Thus saving quite a bit of running? Unless you think Rhodes is a gifted tackler.

Aren't those goons just saying he is a great striker we should play every time? Whereas Stuart is saying we have no backup for when he can't play? These seem like unrelated points to me.

kevin gallacher just stated that rhodes gives you nothing on his own upfront, half right kevin..

i wouldn`t even start him in away games again..

I'd agree with your first point but your solutions to the issue are non starters IMO.

If you didn't portray yourself as such an arsehole, folk may listen to your viewpoints.

Fact is I think you truly are just an anus!

Aren't those goons just saying he is a great striker we should play every time? Whereas Stuart is saying we have no backup for when he can't play? These seem like unrelated points to me.

No those goons were on here guaranteeing a return of 25+ goals from Jordan Rhodes this season ..... and it's still only September! :wstu:

Said it after Bolton and I'll say it again. We need to get a Rochina/Dunn replacement in on loan. Cairney is not the man to play that role.

Also surprise surprise but drop Marshall for Taylor or Judge. Kid could do with a few games in the ressies for my money getting up to speed. At least he's admitted he's been off the pace I suppose.

The point being that he can easily get injured. And then what?

I may have misunderstood your post it seems as i totally agree with this. Rate him as i do i certainly wouldn't be averse to subbing him in later in a game that he's struggling in. We ended up with Dann up front tonight which shows how desperate for a target man to bring on we are.

Your criticism of Rhodes is getting rather tedious Gordon, listening to the radio xommentary tonight it sounded like the main problem was lack of any movement from midfield to support him.

It doesn't help when you're getting a foothold in the game and your "England U21 international" gives the ball away to put you 2 down.

That's the game changer right there. From being right in it to having a mountain to climb in the blink of an eye.

No those goons were on here guaranteeing a return of 25+ goals from Jordan Rhodes this season ..... and it's still only September! :wstu:

Hope your 'I'm with stupid' isn't directed at me, as I'm only asking you to clarify your point. But surely it's obvious that no striker will guarantee you 25+ goals if you want to be really literal about it? As anybody can be injured. Rhodes is a 25 goal a season man in this league though if he doesn't get injured, I'd think that's obvious. Just like Shearer was a 30 goal a season man for us, but injury could have stopped that any year.

If all you're saying is we need backup in case he gets injured, I'd agree. DJ nearly back, but with Best throwing his toys out the pram we are susceptible there.

• Backroom

Said it after Bolton and I'll say it again. We need to get a Rochina/Dunn replacement in on loan. Cairney is not the man to play that role.

Also surprise surprise but drop Marshall for Taylor or Judge. Kid could do with a few games in the ressies for my money getting up to speed. At least he's admitted he's been off the pace I suppose.

Agree, but get a bad feeling we're going to be stuck relying on Dunn for large portions of the season - which as we all know will not work out. Rochina will obviously take time to get back to full match fitness, too, so it's not like he's going to be able to just slot back in either.

Also, it seems to me people overestimate just how much can really be contributed to the team from a forward position sometimes in terms of winning the ball. Unless you're Dickov, it's fairly negligible. Players who can truly harass a defence like that are not too common. If someone would like to suggest someone like that, fair enough- but Best is not that player.

With 6 goals in 7 those "goons" might have underestimated somewhat eh?

I don't even think we should underestimate the ability to safely tuck a penalty away. God knows we've had enough who can't over the years. Was it Roberts and McCarthy who missed 2 in one game v Bolton?

Agree, but get a bad feeling we're going to be stuck relying on Dunn for large portions of the season - which as we all know will not work out. Rochina will obviously take time to get back to full match fitness, too, so it's not like he's going to be able to just slot back in either.

Regarding Rochina, is it not unusual for an outfield player to be sidelined for 4/5 months with a shoulder dislocation? It's only 10/12 weeks for a broken leg is it not? Am I missing something?

Just back home. First of all, we played MUCH better than here last year. Leicester are very good side, v solid defensively and Nugent and Vardy up front look a good bet for playoffs at least. First half we were a bit too deliberate,, but the effort was there. There first goal was from Marshall losing it easily in attack ten not reacting to a ball he could have cleared later in attack. Their penalty was a bloody joke, spurr took the ball cleanly and leicester winger then fell over his leg. We presumed that would be that.

Second half they flew out of blocks , kean making good save 1 on 1 with Vardy and then a host of other chances , but we always looked read,y to go forward and looked much more like it with king and Rhodes together up front . Penalty was difficult to see, leicester fans reckon was a even upper.

Both sides had chances after, we played 3 at back and they had more as a result. Danny's header looked over line from our angle and Cairney had a late drive just wide .

Overall , promising. Just short ,away against top of league and endeavour certainly present.

Marshall was poor, Taylor improved us. Evans was sloppy in possession. Cairney was our high point in game. Agree with earlier comments that not best as a no. 10 , but did ok as r mid when switched to 442, even better as straight forward centre mid. Spurr and Lowe also get honourable mentions.

Came back much happier than last season, promising

Ah well, I said there'd be one goal in it. Disappointing result but not unexpected. If we have any hope of success this season it's going to hinge on our home form.

I think today's game was a good example of why someone like Aaron Wilbraham wouldn't be such a bad signing. Without the creativity of a Dunn or Rochina in the hole, our ad hoc gameplan falls apart, and Rhodes cuts a solitary figure. On difficult away days, when we're under the cosh, we require an outlet up front who can hold up play and bring others into the game. Rhodes isn't that kind of striker. He's a natural finisher with great positional sense, but he doesn't enjoy playing with his back to goal. Like it or not, this team is built around Rhodes, and without a player to link midfield and attack, you won't get the best out of him (and despite being isolated last season he still bagged 24 goals).

Archived