BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leicester City vs Blackburn Rovers: Tuesday 17th September 2013

Jimmy612

Leicester City: A History

Leicester Fosse was founded in 1884 by pupils of Wyggeston and Mill House public schools. The unusual name ‘Fosse’ (Roman for fortified ditch) derived from the team’s first playing facility, a local rented field next to Fosse Road. The team went on to play at five different grounds before finally settling at Filbert Street in 1920.
One of those facilities was Belgrave Cycle Track (1887 - 1889), one of very few enclosed grounds and therefore ideal for ensuring gate money was received. The downside to Belgrave was that there were no dressing rooms, and so players had to change at the White Hart Inn, located one mile away!

Filbert Street became the home of Leicester Fosse in 1891. Leicester Fosse continued until the end of the First World War, before the ‘Fosse’ was dropped for the more popular ‘City’.

The royal blue with which Leicester City are now associated was not always the norm. Their first known kit was black with a blue sash pattern, before making way for a rather hideous choice of chocolate brown & blue halves! Once royal blue was selected in 1903, the club rarely deviated from their choice. An enforced change to blue & white stripes due to a lack of blue dye during the First World War, and a brief flirtation with an all-white kit in the 1972-1973 season, are the only anomalies in an otherwise strictly royal blue 110 years.

The Foxes

Leicester City were unpromisingly nicknamed The Fossils in their Fosse years. They became known as The Filberts after their move to the ground at Walnut Street, today known as Filbert Street. Finding a new nickname evoked suggestions in the local Mercury such as The Royal Knuts (from a filbert nut) while The Nottingham Post came up with suggestions ranging across ‘Hunters’, ‘Sockers’ and ‘Tanners’. Eventually, the fa­m­ous Leicestershire foxhunting not only inspired the nickname ‘Foxes’ but also the choice for the club’s emblem.

More Recent Times

After providing a happy home for 111 years, Filbert Street was sold to a development company for £3.75m in March 2002, prompting relocation only 200 yards down the road to a brand new 32,500 seater stadium, sponsored by and thus named the Walkers Stadium. Amusingly enough, it had been the intentions of the sponsors to name the stadium the ‘Walkers Bowl’ until a fans petition swayed a decision to stick with the aforementioned Walkers Stadium.

The opening of the Walkers Stadium was intended to mark a new exciting period in the clubs history. Under the leadership of Martin O’Neill, Leicester had regained Premiership status in 1996, following a yo-yo two years under Brian Little and Mark McGhee. They went on to record four consecutive top ten Premier League finishes plus their first silverware for 26 years with two League Cup successes in 1997 and 2000.

Their prosperous era under O’Neill came to an end when he left for Celtic in the summer of 2000, to be replaced by Peter Taylor. Taylor was dismissed in October 2001, to be replaced by a management team of Dave Basset and Micky Adams. City were promptly relegated in May 2002.

Administration

One of the clubs darker periods was to be October 2002. Leicester were placed into administration. There were a number of reasons cited for their administration. One prominent reason was the loss of television revenue promised by ITV Digital (themselves in administration) to all Division One clubs. This loss, coupled by a crippling wage bill and the £37m cost of the new stadium, saw Leicester announce debts of £30m.

A consortium led by famous fan and legendary England Striker Gary Lineker rescued the club, whilst on the pitch Micky Adams managed to guide the stricken club to a second placed finish and automatic promotion back to the Premier League. The season of 2003/2004 proved to be The Foxes last top flight season to date as they crashed back to the newly named Championship at the first attempt. Micky Adams resignation led to 15 extremely disappointing months Championship seasons under Craig Levein, narrowly avoiding relegation after sacking the Scot, and replacing him with Assistant Manager Rob Kelly.

Milan Mandaric Era

In February 2007 ex-Portsmouth Chairman Milan Mandaric secured the purchase of the club. A turbulent first 15months at the club saw as many as SIX managers occupy the dugout for Leicester including Nigel Worthington, Martin Allen, Gary Megson and Ian Holloway, resulting in relegation from the Championship in May 2008. (We thought we had it bad!).

Following Ian Holloway’s departure by mutual consent, Nigel Pearson took the reigns as Leicester began their first ever season outside of the top two divisions of English football. City were promoted at the first attempt, crowned champions of League One with two games of the season remaining. A rejuvenated City continued their good form into the Championship in the 09/10 season, reaching the Championship play-off semi-final only to be beaten by Cardiff City on penalties.

In July 2010 it was announced that Pearson would be departing the Walkers Stadium to join recently relegated Hull City. The appointment of his replacement Paulo Sousa, proved to be Mandaric’s last act as Leicester City chairman.

Asian Football Investments

In the August of 2010, Mandaric agreed a fee to sell the club to Asian Football Investments (AFI), fronted by new shirt sponsors, the King Power Group.
Paula Sousa’s reign as manager lasted only 2 months as Leicester sunk to bottom of the league with only one win in their opening nine games. Just two days after his Sousa’s departure, Sven-Goran Eriksson was approached for the role and consequently signed a two year contract with the club.
However, after an inconsistent start to their 2011/2012 season, Eriksson was axed after just 13 league games.
Nigel Pearsons second spell at the club began in November 2011. He managed to lead Leicester to 6th place in the Championship, before they were cruelly (and quite sensationally) beaten in the Play-off semi-final against Watford.

Famous Fans

Kasabian
Gary Lineker
Willie Thorne
David Icke
Engelbert Humperdink
Davied Neilson (Roy Cropper)
Bill Maynard
Manish Bhasin - Football League Show
Dave Bartram - Lead singer of Shawaddywaddy
Lembit Opik

Previous Fixtures

In 96 fixtures between the two clubs Blackburn have won 38, Leicester have won 34, with 24 draws. The first ever fixture was an FA Cup tie, played on the 11th January 1908. Leicester Fosse came out on top in a 2-0 win.

The most notable fixture and one that we as Blackburn fans look back fondly on, is the 1992 Division One Play-off Final, played at Wembley on the 25th May. Revitalised by Uncle Jack, and led by King Kenny, Blackburn claimed a 1-0 win. A dubious penalty won by David Speedie and converted by Mike Newell was enough to take Blackburn to the top division for the first time in 26 years.

Past Players

According to my relatively in-depth research, I have been able to find 23 players that have played for both clubs. I do however look forward to the older generation informing me of the players that represented both teams pre-1989 or so!

I revert back to the play-off final of 92 for my first two players. Incidentally the ones that did the damage that day, Mike Newell and David Speedie both played for Leicester. Newell pre-Rovers made 81 appearances scoring 21 goals for Leicester before moving on to Everton, and then to Blackburn for what at the time, was a record signing for us and also a record signing outside of the top flight. Speedie on the other hand joined Leciester in the twilight of his career.
Having scored 23 goals in 36 appearances for Rovers, Speedie was sold to Southampton in 1992, before loan spells at Birmingham, West Brom and West Ham signalled the end of his time at the Dell. Signing for Leicester, he helped fire them to promotion to the Premier League with 12 goals in 37 appearances before retiring through injury in 1994.

Whilst Mike Newell only played a bit part role in the Premier League winning season, Jason Wilcox and Tim Flowers played far more prominent roles, Wilcox on the left wing, and Flowers of course between the sticks. Wilcox spent two seasons at Leicester between 2004 and 2006, whilst Flowers spent 4 years at the club, making only 55 appearances. The majority of his stint was spent playing second fiddle to England International Ian Walker.

Two players with another interesting (and perhaps rather tedious) link would be Paul Dickov and Keith Gillespie. Whilst their Blackburn careers were just over a year apart, the two did play together at Leicester in 2003. During their short time together the pair caught the headlines after being arrested on suspicion of rape whilst on a training break in La Manga in March 2004 along with team mate Frank Sinclair. All charges were eventually dropped after DNA results proved that none of the players had had any contact with the three women who originally complained to the police. Dickov went on to score 14 goals in 50 appearances for Blackburn, the pick of which was a goal at the Reebok to earn Rovers a 1-0 win in December 04. Whilst not the greatest striker, I will always fondly remember Dickov for his sheer commitment and never say die spirit. I will never forget the huge part he played in the season of 2004/05, when he played as a lone striker week in week out. If he walked in my pub tonight, I can promise he would not buy a drink. Dickov returned to Leicester in 2008, scoring 2 goals in 21 appearances.

Rovers currently have two ex-leicester players in their side in Ben Marshall and DJ Campbell, whilst Leicester have one former Blackburn player on their books in Paul Gallagher.

Other players that have represented both clubs;

Robbie Savage, Bruno Berner, Alan Birchenall, Neill Danns, Billy Mckinlay, Marcus Bent, Craig Hignett, John Curtis, Nathan Blake, Callum Davidson, Nils Eric Johansson, Yakubu, Simon Grayson, Steve Agnew.

Current Form

Following the heartbreak of a play-off semi-final defeat to Watford last season, Leicester have made a strong start to this Championship campaign, picking up 10 points from their opening five games and currently occupying 5th place in the league. Excellent away wins at Middlesbrough and Derby, coupled with 4 points from two home games against Leeds and Birmingham has been somewhat overshadowed by a shock defeat at the hands of Charlton Athletic.

Whilst Leicester suffered a setback last time out, Blackburn recorded their best performance of the season to sweep aside a Bolton side with a 4-1 win. 9 goals in our past two games have given fans and hopefully the players a huge confidence boost heading into the Burnley match.

Behind Enemy Lines

I posted a little questionnaire on the LCFC fans forum, ‘Foxes Talk’. Results below.

Names of Participants

Swalker
LCFC FOX
MPH
Leicesterpool
The Year of the Fox
lcfc_amie

Q1. Leicester have had a very challenging last decade or so including administration, relegation to league one, and play-off heartbreak in the Championship. How do you view the current stability at the club regarding owners and management (particularly Nigel Pearson)? Does the club now appear to be moving forward?

A1. We look to be stabilising under Pearson now after a spending spree under Sven and the financial issues before him. We look to be making the right steps forward to set ourselves up for promotion soon.

A2. I believe we are easily moving forward with the owners as all they want is promotion. NP has got rid of the big earners and built a better younger side on lower wages.

A3. 1. Feel like I would be happy with top 6. we need a period of stability... overspending the last couple of years has made it very hard for pearson who now has to trim a squad of overpaid which makes it surprising that he let Marshall go...

A4. I would say i feel the club is in safe hands and I do believe the club as grew in some way, myself i think the current owners have proved Leicester can be an successful premier league club and are clearly too big for the championship. The good thing about these owners are they seem to know what there talking about, unlike Mandric who yes to be fair saved the club, at times treated this club like a game and use to sack managers for fun when he got bored. The only downer i have on the new owners are i feel they dismissed Sven way to early and should have given him until christmas also i do fear they made a backward step in appointing Mr Pearson. He did a great job when he was here last but do i believe we were already starting to move away from his regime and starting fresh, to then suddenly return to that regime. The problem with that is when Pearson goes again we've got to once again try and rebuild again and try get out of that regime. However i do still back Mr Pearson!

A5. The owners seem to be pretty good now. They've either realised they cant go round sacking someone at the drop of the hat. (or they havent realised, just ran out of money what with FFP.) IMO we'll always make progress under Pearson particularly if he can make his usual shrewd loan signings. I can't really speak highly enough of Pearson when you compare our league positions at times last year along with the limited funds he's had available compared to the circus that was Svens year or so in charge.

A6. In my opinion, the club is in the best state it has been in in years. I believe the owners are fully committed to the club, and really do care about the club and the fans. I also think they've showed that they're learning about the English game by sticking with Nigel after what happened last season. I think they've learnt that, to get out of the championship, you need a manager like Pearson & not big name players/managers on a ridiculous wage. Over the last 2 years the wage bill has been cut massively, so we are now on a much better financial footing too, as well as still having a squad that can compete at the top end of the championship.

Q2. What were your pre-season expectations for the side and how do you feel the side have performed in the opening five games?

A1. Top 6 but after these games so far top 4 potentially.

A2. I would be happy with top 6 this season. The season has started well for in terms of results but performance wise we deserve to be lower down the table.

A3. Fairly pleased with the start. We changed formation so did think it might take some time to settle.

A4. In my bbc sport predictions i had Leicester to win the championship, as i felt the young side of last season would have gained some experience and learnt some of their mistakes. However most of us were concerned about the lack of new faces, we do need some fresh meat.
First five games? Decent start, only lost one but again we look weak up front and missing a strong striker plus a good winger.

A5. Playoffs- its a stronger league this time round. We've started well really results wise, but Birmingham game aside have been poor.

A6. Before the season started I would have taken a playoff place, although I don't think I could cope with them again, knowing what has happened the last 2 times. Results wise, our start to the season has been good, 10 points from 5 games is promotion form. Performances have not been the best, but we've been grinding out results, which in my opinion, is the sign of a good team, and only bodes well for when we do start to perform like we know we can.

Q3. Obviously one game sticks in the memory for most Rovers fans when we think about past Leicester matches. Do you have any vivid memories of past clashes between Leicester and Blackburn?

A1. None

A2. To be honest not one game between our two clubs I remember and think good times. Last season at Ewood we dominated and should of win. Proven at the return game at the KP.

A3. felt absolutely robbed by david Speedie. It was gut wrenching and felt like crying at the time. . Losing fare and square is one thing but to a dive? It was a bitter pill to swallow...

A4. The only one i can remember was losing that fa cup quarter final day in 2005 i think it was, i remember watching it on the tele. It was awful! Last years tie was a lot better.

A5. I've only ever been to one game v you lot and that was at home last season- can't even tell you what the result was I'm afraid!

A6. There's not really any that stick in my memory too well. The most recent meeting is the one I remember the best. We were in the middle of our awful run towards the back end of last season, and we pulled a great performance out of nowhere. I think Ben Marshall got 3 assists that night, and scoring 3 headers is very uncommon for us. I remember going back to uni the next day thinking we'd turned our form around...

Q4. Which members of the Leicester side should we be watching out for on Tuesday night?

A1. Depends which formation is played but in general Vardy and King are looking dangerous whilst Moore and Kasper are looking especially solid.

A2. Jamie Vardy a new man this season will cause you trouble. Andy King also is a deadly midfielder who loves to score.

A3. David Nugent will run all day and is due a goal.. Wes morgan is a rock at the back.. watch out for de laet bombing forward as a right wing-back.

A4. Not telling yer it's a secret!

A5. Vardy and King. Vardy has been like a new signing for us this season. King is our midfield finisher, a cracking player at arriving late in the box to sweep the ball home.
De Laet as well as an afterthought. You can usually gauge how well we've played in a game by how far he makes it up the pitch. He's immense going forward but at times whether its tactical or laziness he doesn't get over the half way line. When this happens it usually ends up being a poor performance by the whole team.

A6. Anthony Knockaert can pull a bit of magic out from nowhere, Jamie Vardy has really found his feet in the championship this season after he admitted himself that he struggled last year, he's arguably been our best striker so far this season. Andy King's late runs always cause teams problems. & At the back Wes Morgan & Kasper Schmeichel are arguably the best defender and goalkeeper in the league.

Q5. Having recently signed Ben Marshall, Blackburn fans are eager to see how he performs at Ewood. How do you rate him and do you feel Leicester got a good deal in £1m.

A1. Good deals for both parties. Very good player but bad form forced him out of the team and needs consistent football. But when he's on form he can win a game on his own.

A2. I actually rate Ben. First 6 months here he was our best player scoring a load of screamers. Everything was just going so well and then he was selected for England u21s. Last season he didn't start too well and was dropped, we started doing well and he wasn't getting a chance because of this. He finally got his chance and he played awful and booed off. It was almost clear he was leaving but he needs supporting and he will be a quality player.

A3. Marshall came with a reputation , had a great first season scoring some screamers. Went off the boil after an alleged bust up with Pearson and his form really dipped. If he rediscovers his form then he could be an astute signing. Mind you, 1 million for a player not even in our match day squad seems like a good deal to us....

A4. Never should have let him go, Pearson was playing him in the wrong position, he kept playing him on the wing but i found he looked better in the centre midfield.

A5. I liked him. People will tell you, 'he got @#/?' This is only down to him having such a good start with us only having half a season of scoring ridiculous screamers (chelsea away) amongst many. Since that season he hadn't scored ad many. However even when our hard to please fans were in the height of calling him @#/? (january this year) he was the player with most assists to his name.

A5. I always had really high hopes for Ben. He started slowly for us, but then got that goal v Chelsea in the FA cup, and he didn't look back. He must have scored about 5/6 screamers in a couple of months for us. He got his England U21 call up, and has not looked the same since. The only 2 games I can think of that he performed well in last season were Sheff wed away and V you at home. I think his attitude may have let him down a bit, he's a good guy, but he may have let how well he was doing/ his call up, go to his head a little bit. I couldn't see much of a way past it after swearing directly at us fans at Barnsley away last season. You have a good player, with a lot of potential though. I think £1m is a good deal all around.

Q6. Predictions for Tuesday

A1. 3-2

A2. I'm going for a 4-1 Leicester win with you lot scoring early with Marshall scoring a screamer but for second half goals for us.

A3. 1-0 City. Nugent due a goal and Pearson likes to play a tight game
Could be more if we get Guidetti as rumoured. ..

A4. Too early wait till after the Wigan game

A5. 1-0 to you.

A6. I don't usually predict scores, but I'll get back to you on this one after tomorrow's game. (Wigan)

I also received some additional general comments, either reminiscing or more commonly commenting on our recent past.

Leicester_Numan: Apart from the play off game, the 2 games I remember vividly are the televised 3-3 at Ewood in March 88 when Colin Hendry stood on Mike Newell's foot and punched him in the nads at the same time. Newell kicked Hendry's foot off of his and was sent off (we always get the @#/? end of the stick with refs), cost us 2 points as we were 3-1 up at the time. The 4-0 win on Dec 31st 88 at Filbo, we tore you a new one that day.

Chairman of the Bored: You may come in peace but think of all the suffering your fecking owners cause to chickens. I'd be ashamed to follow a club with so much blood on its hands. At least our lot just wreck livers.

Don't like Blackburn, the way you treated Steve Kean was despicable. Small town in Burnley.

The Year of the Fox
I didn't like how Kean was treated either i must say. Disgusting really.

Vlad the Fox: I think the venkys coming into Blackburn was the nightmare scenario we all fear when being taken over coming to fruition. People sympathise with the likes of Portsmouth and cov but what happened at Blackburn vey nearly led them down the same path. Thankfully our owners appear genuine and are building a stable grounding from the bottom up within the club. Are the supporters still against the venkys or have things simmered down now?

As for memories of clashes between the clubs both mine come from my two visits to Ewood park, both 4-2 victories, I might make the trip again this year so you've been warned.

Shen: Can't say I disapprove of the treatment of Kean. He was and is a vermin as Jimmy has pointed out. No sympathy whatsoever for the bloke.

Frustrating to see that the garbage in the media has been lapped up by some. I tried to set them straight with a few posts detailing more intricately the reasons why we hated the past regime. Also great to see that some fans saw straight through the charade and are very much on the side of us, the fans. The link for those interested to see the thread is here: http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/90275-blackburn-fan-in-peace-pre-match-questions/#entry2720506

Done!

Anyway! I’ve waffled on long enough. I will include my team selection and my scored predictions elsewhere in the thread. I'm not preparted to think too much about this given the fact that we are kicking off against Burnley in 15 hours or so.

COYB!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRKdtm6LjSs

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great preview! Very interesting to hear Leicester Fans point of view, there was one idiot who the rest of them seemed to dislike as well but on the whole the leicester fans seemed decent. That Ben Marshall song sounded pretty good, and their fans seem to really rate him!

Great preview Jimmy.

The fixture always evokes great memories;

Sitting below pitch level at Filbert Street, having walked through a row of terraced houses to get to my seat and then arguing with the linesman to get out of the way so I could see the match.

After one night match which we drew at Filbert Street in 90s, I finished up in a club in Leicester and met Robbie Savage and Graham Fenton. I accused Fenton of having a chip on his shoulder, I guess I was right. Great night was had by all.

Who can forget Wembley 92? Barsteward Courtney redeemed himself and Speedie rivalled Tom Daley.

Great memories.

We need a result on Tuesday to endorse our progress.

COYB!

Crikey thats a bloody epic.... you obviously dont get out much!

One thing I picked up.... nobody down there has a wrong word for Ben Marshal! Up here no one has a good one for him as yet so there is some encouragement to be had. Seems also that one bloke at least reckons he's a better central midfielder than winger.

btw.... A pint in the Western 7pm might be fun Jimmy. We'll soon spot the veggie.... he'll be the one with the lank hair and pasty complexion and he'll be supping halves of whatevers cheapest. :tu:

Really brilliant preview- great piece of work.

This is really going to be a measure of our progress. I fear defensive frailties will get exposed by Leicester and we won't have many opportunities to show our potency going forwards.

I think we will lose but it depends how we lose. If we give them a good fright in defeat then the prospects for this season will be looking bright. I expect Leicester will be in the mix for promotion at the end of the season.

----------------Kean

Henley Dann Hanley Spurr

Taylor Evans Cairney King

---------------Judge

--------------Rhodes

I wouldn't drop Kane, not at least until Henley's close to match-fitness. Yes, Kane has looked shaky at times this season, but he was also instrumental in the last two home wins. He's a young defender and he's bound to make the odd cock-up as he learns his trade. Same goes for Henley.

This is a huge test. Hopefully these busy weeks are when our youthful side will pay off in that they will physically recouperate quickly.

I wouldn't play judge behind rhodes - from what i have seen of judge he lacks composure and quality on the ball. I would start taylor, marshall and king with marshall the one behind rhodes. He can shoot from distance so the defenders won't assume he is looking for rhodes, plus he will want to show his old team what they are missing.

If i was bowyer i would be telling the team to relax and have a go in this one. After the intensity of burnley i am more hopeful than expectant about a result at leicester

Really tough game this. Probably our toughest game of the season so far. I'd say tougher than forest because we had home advantage against them.

Our poor away form and foxes impressive home form plus a lot of talented players will see them win this imo.

Playing cairney in the hole didn't work as we missed him in cm and he's not as effective up front.

Judge has to play in that role. I'd be tempted to play Taylor as well as we need grafters in this match. He will offer better protection to Kane than Marshall. Marshall is out of position on the right, he is a left winger. King is on fire right now tho so can't drop him

Really tough game this. Probably our toughest game of the season so far. I'd say tougher than forest because we had home advantage against them.

Our poor away form and foxes impressive home form plus a lot of talented players will see them win this imo.

Playing cairney in the hole didn't work as we missed him in cm and he's not as effective up front.

Judge has to play in that role. I'd be tempted to play Taylor as well as we need grafters in this match. He will offer better protection to Kane than Marshall. Marshall is out of position on the right, he is a left winger. King is on fire right now tho so can't drop him

I think Marshall is a right winger, he's definitely right footed and played right wing for Leicester.

I just hope we put up a better performance than last season's abject surrender!! :unsure:

Filbert St,one of the oddest grounds that I ever visited.From entering the away end through a row of terraced houses to its wildly differing sized stands..one of the few grounds that had real character.

They spent a fortune redeveloping their main stand,nearly sent them into bankruptcy before it was all flattened only a few years after being built following their move to their present soulless crisp bowl.

SPEEEDDDIIIEEEEE!!!

Golden memories..

Marshall will do well lads only playd two games for us and one of them was burnley which wudnt have been easy with it being a derby tink similar to king one good performance will get the lad going

Didn't I read that being in the middle is Marshall's preferred role, and where he won over Leicester fans with good performances? Then he got moved wide and lost his form. If so would he be a good choice to replace Dunn. Cairney could then return to his midfield role.

Archived