BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leicester City vs Blackburn Rovers: Tuesday 17th September 2013

Jimmy612

Tough tough game. Reckon Leicester will be in the top 6 come May. If we can get a draw I'd be happy as it keeps the unbeaten run going. If we get a win we'll be edging towards the top 6 at this early stage and confidence will grow throughout the team.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think that you need to view the Rovers v Portsmouth vid that someone posted on here a while back! No idea where to find it but it was merciless stuff and an obvious grudge match. Killer Keeley was terrifying.... till he got sent off that is!

I was at that Portsmouth game in 1985. Never seen a game like it. Link here to Jimmy Chins summary of the challenges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIpbn86MbgE

Burnley Match

imo

O Instance of very good play

O Instance of decent play

O Disappointing or poor play

O Terrible play

h hoof upfield

( ) set pieces

Kean OOOOOOOOO

Kane OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhh

Dann OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(OO)hhhhh

Hanley OOOOOOOOOOOOhhh

Spurr OOOOOO(OO)

Lowe OOOOOOOO

Evans OOOOOOOO

Cairney OOOOOOOOO(OOO) OO

Marshall O(OOOOO)

King OOOOOOOOOOOO

Rhodes OOOOOO

Taylor O

Judge (O) O

Williamson O

Highlights and Lowlights

2 Kean fails to gather high ball under challenge. Fortunately ref blows for a foul.

3 Kean kicks ball against on-rushing forward…………….nearly bounces into goal!

22 King outruns Trippier after giving him 5y start and crosses for Rhodes who doesn’t connect.

37 Run from Kane who passes to Cairney just outside the D. He turns and fires a good shot low to the right and goalie makes a great save.

53 Great cut-out by Dann to save dangerous cross reaching unmarked opponent in front of goal.

75 GOAL. Cairney misses chance to get in a challenge before a quick one-two sets up Stanislas for a first time shot. Great goal though and churlish to apportion blame.

83 Duff hits ball against Rhodes and it rebounds into the goal

91 Williamson accidently rugby tackles opponent when last defender. Sent off.

E&OE

Burnley Match

imo

O Instance of very good play

O Instance of decent play

O Disappointing or poor play

O Terrible play

h hoof upfield

( ) set pieces

Kean OOOOOOOOO

Kane OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhh

Dann OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(OO)hhhhh

Hanley OOOOOOOOOOOOhhh

Spurr OOOOOO(OO)

Lowe OOOOOOOO

Evans OOOOOOOO

Cairney OOOOOOOOO(OOO) OO

Marshall O(OOOOO)

King OOOOOOOOOOOO

Rhodes OOOOOO

Taylor O

Judge (O) O

Williamson O

Highlights and Lowlights

2 Kean fails to gather high ball under challenge. Fortunately ref blows for a foul.

3 Kean kicks ball against on-rushing forward…………….nearly bounces into goal!

22 King outruns Trippier after giving him 5y start and crosses for Rhodes who doesn’t connect.

37 Run from Kane who passes to Cairney just outside the D. He turns and fires a good shot low to the right and goalie makes a great save.

53 Great cut-out by Dann to save dangerous cross reaching unmarked opponent in front of goal.

75 GOAL. Cairney misses chance to get in a challenge before a quick one-two sets up Stanislas for a first time shot. Great goal though and churlish to apportion blame.

83 Duff hits ball against Rhodes and it rebounds into the goal

91 Williamson accidently rugby tackles opponent when last defender. Sent off.

E&OE

wrong thread!

Me too. That is the sort of desire, determination, endeavour and pride that we all crave from our teams. Been missing for long enough imo although I've seen just a few green shoots of recovery lately.

Is it just me but it appears that the more you pay players the more demotivated they become. :huh:

If you think that you need to view the Rovers v Portsmouth vid that someone posted on here a while back! No idea where to find it but it was merciless stuff and an obvious grudge match. Killer Keeley was terrifying.... till he got sent off that is!

Is that the one where the MOD commentator says something like...

" 40 years of peace in Europe and Keeley has started another war!" ? Priceless

I just hope we put up a better performance than last season's abject surrender!! :unsure:

Filbert St,one of the oddest grounds that I ever visited.From entering the away end through a row of terraced houses to its wildly differing sized sta

Golden memories..

Thanks for that clip of the 1988 Leicester match.

My, how football has changed. Non-stop attacking by both teams, old-fashioned wingers, no quarter asked or given, no diving, no play-acting, classic English football as it used to be.

The cursed Champions League (and Barcelona in particular) with its dull passing game has alot to answer for.

Thanks for that. Will be on the way this pm.

" 40 years of peace in Europe and Keeley has started another war!" ? Priceless

That's the one. Also in Oz's video clip. I also mentioned that game in length for a preview I did on here many moons ago. http://www.brfcs.com/mb/index.php/topic/9587-blackburn-rovers-1-vs-0-portsmouth/page-1

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Leicester!

Anyway, tonight, I'd take a draw - again.

Draw would be good, even though Leicester are not all that in my opinion. They're a good team in this division, but they will probably miss the play offs again.

Hopefully after the pressure of burnley our players will relax tonight and play some good football.

Player for player we are ok, but leicester have a settled team which has played together for a while.

Leicester are favourites, but so were we last season!

If it was anybody but Leicester I would hope that Bowyer would have dropped Marshall. As it is you'd like to think that he'll be fired up. The boy needs to put a semi performance in at least or Judge/Taylor should be starting.

Hoping we can grab a draw tonight. Somebody needs to play closer to Rhodes, that's for sure.

Men against boys tonight and a comfortable Leicester win....these are the games you need the experience of a robbo/fridel and someone in the middle to organise things....if we get a draw, good result.

I can understand exactly what you are saying, but I have a bit more optimism after the Burnley game who in fairness to them were probably in better form and playing better that leicester have so there is no reason why we cant get a draw which I would be happy with. Even when Burnley had the better first half they didn't create much in the way of clear cut chances, we do seem to be better defensively when you have Evans and Lowe on the pitch together. Up until playing us Burnley have been creating quite a lot of scoring opportunities.

Some really interesting decisions for Bowyer. Does he keep Cairney in the advanced role or pull him back into midfield a little more. I cant help feel that Cairney is better playing a bit deeper - getting the ball earlier and that might help bring our wide players into it a bit more. Maybe allow Evans to be a more box to box player with Lowe still being the more defensive of the three.

Does he stick with King and Marshall? Can stick with above team with king and Marshall but if its not working pull off Lowe and move Marshall into a more attacking role and put on Judge who I think is better defensively. Then Taylor for King if King is off form.

At least we have options, though I do wish we had another striker to give us something different. We really do miss Dunn and Rochina they make such a difference going forwards.

Still perhaps playing Evans Lowe and Cairney we are that bit better defensively. Put Taylor on for King and we are even stronger defensively and we can then hope we create a couple of chances for Rhodes. I know its negative, but sometimes its good to be organised and tough to beat away from home, especially at the start of the game. I cant help but still think if ref had made the right decision and had allowed Rhodes the chance to score rather than giving the free kick it would have been the classic away game tactic.

Perhaps the biggest concern is that defensively Kane has been more suspect so far this season and Kean isn't yet playing as well as last season. Still both young and may well settle more as season goes on. They are young and my gut feeling is they will settle.

The nice thing is Leicester are going to have to work very hard to turn us over, the soft underbelly our team had last year is gone. Whether we have enough quality without Dunn or Rochina we shall see.

Id have liked Williamson available for this game - adds that bit more experience. If I was Bowyer id be explaining to Kane when you are last man with forward coming at you - you put your foot through the ball and get rid. I suspect Short will explain it to Kane in even better terms! He would have cleared the ball and put the opposition striker on his backside (without a foul I hasten to add).

Play like we did in the previous game and we will lose by a few. A point would be a decent result here and I would take it now but I can't see it happening.

2-0 Leicester.

I think you underestimate how well Burnley have started this season - and how good a deserved point it was. Wasn't the best we have played this season - but again we looked increasingly solid in defence. King has now had a slight dip in form (which he was bound to have after playing well in the last two matches) - and hopefully Bowyer will find a way to use his pace on the break better.

I was at that Portsmouth game in 1985. Never seen a game like it. Link here to Jimmy Chins summary of the challenges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIpbn86MbgE

Jimmy Hill... what a poof.

good old you tube........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKZIOZ4SLaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKZIOZ4SLaQ

Proper footy! Wood sent off for presumably showing his balls to Keeleys studs. No wonder he was bawling his eyes out.

Ashley Young's career wouldn't have lasted five minutes in those days cos he'd have been targetted for 'special treatment' by every defence he turned out against.

Third game of the season already against clubs from The East Midlands. We've had a draw and a defeat up to press, so it's inevitable we're going to win tonight!

I genuinely don't think we've anything to fear from Leicester as our confidence must be improving as must the player's understanding of one another.

I hope Sparky's 'eating crow' come 9.45pm!

team for me

kean

Kane Dann Hanley Spurr

Lowe Cairney

Taylor Marshall King

Rhodes

Hoping bringing Marshall in the centre will gives us a little more creativity and build his confidence. Evans can come on from the bench as needed.

To be honest the side is as good as Leicester. A draw would be a decent result.

I think we are doing the team down. This team has a far better spirit about it than the one we sent last year. Inexperienced and grievously wounded by the loss of Rochina and Dunn but lets be honest the talents of those two are better suited to home games. However the gap that Dunn had closed behind Rhodes needs attention if we are not to end up playing with 10 men deep and Rhodes an expensive passenger.

We'd been letting Kings pace beat the full backs by putting balls fown the wings but that had all but stopped on Sat until Judge came on and played a pearler for him to run on to. Personally I'd play Marshall from the start against his old team but if he didn't show much by HT I'd swap him for Judge.

I think we are doing the team down. This team has a far better spirit about it than the one we sent last year. Inexperienced and grievously wounded by the loss of Rochina and Dunn but lets be honest the talents of those two are better suited to home games. However the gap that Dunn had closed behind Rhodes needs attention if we are not to end up playing with 10 men deep and Rhodes an expensive passenger.

We'd been letting Kings pace beat the full backs by putting balls fown the wings but that had all but stopped on Sat until Judge came on and played a pearler for him to run on to. Personally I'd play Marshall from the start against his old team but if he didn't show much by HT I'd swap him for Judge.

Agreed, certainly about the spirit and togetherness being displayed. I think we struggled with the big occasion in the last game and never really got going. Expecting a more relaxed and confident display tonight and honestly believe we will not lose. Hoping we can nick it if we keep a clean sheet. 1-1 or 0-1 Rovers. COYB.

Tough game tonight. Don't doubt our spirit but against teams like Leicester I feel as though we're greatly lacking in experience at both player and manager level. Without Dunn, we struggle to get King and Rhodes involved. And we also struggle to keep possession, which puts more pressure on the likes of Lowe and Cairney. I'd be more than happy with a draw but if we get one I can't see it being any different to the pattern of the Burnley game, with us defending for long periods and scratching out a 0-0 or 1-1.

team for me

kean

Kane Dann Hanley Spurr

Lowe Cairney

Taylor Marshall King

Rhodes

Hoping bringing Marshall in the centre will gives us a little more creativity and build his confidence. Evans can come on from the bench as needed.

To be honest the side is as good as Leicester. A draw would be a decent result.

Agree with this line-up.

I have a feeling Taylor and Marshall have more quality than we have seen from them to date.

In the same way Ronaldo used to find the slowest defender and stand with him I would play King on whichever side the full-back is slowest.

I really hope DJ comes back soon or we sign another forward on loan - not necessarily to start but as back-up for Rhodes.

If that team plays to it's potential then we could cause an upset!

Another point would suit me fine.

All about the home performances if we are going to challenge this season.

Would like to see Marshall start as he has a point to prove. The rest of the team surely picks itself at the moment. Taylor and Judge likely to be used as impact subs, also hope Best has had a good talking to and can offer something off the bench should it be needed.

Agree with Joey's line-up, and second switching Judge to the no.10 role if Marshall fails to impress. I think this is going to be a close one tonight, with probably one goal in it. I'd take a well-earned point at this stage, but this league is such an unpredictable one that I'll go for a 2-1 to Rovers for the hell of it.

Archived