BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leicester City vs Blackburn Rovers: Tuesday 17th September 2013

Jimmy612

I think we can get a result here. Unlike recent games, we are likely to be given more time on the ball to be constructive.

As long as we press high enough up the field and keep it tight at the back, I think we will come away with something.

It will certainly be a benchmark for how far we have progressed.

COYB. (Or reds on this occasion)

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi lads.

Leicester fan here, saw the original questions posted on foxestalk but didn't contribute to the answers myself. I'm interested to see how much you've come on since you were last down here when you were pretty poor and Rhodes got absolutely no service and we were more than comfortable. Marshall got two assists that night in one of few games when he was actually decent last year. I noticed one poster said he is a left winger, he's not. Often he was stuck on the left last year and was hopeless, in fact against you he played on the right and looked half decent. Marshall started off poorly in his Leicester career, came on and scored from long range against Chelsea in the cup and looked great thereafter. I remember when he was man of the match against Hull at home, he played more central that day and looked like a great piece of business, finishing the season well. Then last year it just never really worked for him, looked shot of confidence, fell out of favour and apparently fell out with Pearson. Last year on the train home from Palace I spoke to a couple of Stoke fans who'd also been playing in London. One of them new Marshall's family and said the reason they didn't keep him was because his attitude wasn't right and he was more interested in other things off the pitch. He mentioned that his attitude went massively downhill when he was seeing that Chelsea Ferguson off twitter. All in all I think the deal suits everyone, we get what we paid for him, you get a player with potential and he gets a new start, as it was going I could see him turning into another Gallagher and completely losing our fans.

Anyway, onto the game. I'm not expecting it to be easy but being at home, I'd expect us to win but I'm cautious because often we are crap midweek especially after a dominating performance the Saturday before. Wigan turned up with the just down from the Premier League arrogance in both fans and team, but were quickly put in their place as we outmuscled, outplayed and outpaced them all over the pitch and should have won by more. Scoring goals is going to be our problem this year, just can't see at the moment who will finish the chances that we create. If you go a goal up, then I'd take a draw because although I think we'd be able to create chances, I'm not so sure they'd be finished.

I reckon we'll get another 2-0 win, our defence is pretty solid normally, just a bit iffy from set pieces as Charlton showed.

Any idea how many you're bringing? The Ben Marshall chant that I've seen mentioned actually started as an attempt at the Dale Cavese but Ben Marshall ended up getting shouted in between and it soon lost the Dale Cavese sound

All in all I think the deal suits everyone, we get what we paid for him, you get a player with potential and he gets a new start, as it was going I could see him turning into another Gallagher and completely losing our fans.

Have you lot fallen out with Paul Gallagher then? How come knockaert?

Have you lot fallen out with Paul Gallagher then? How come knockaert?

Oh yeah, you struggle to find many people that like Gallagher now, it would seem Pearson is included in that, struggles to even get put a game for the U21s. He used to be one of the fans favourites but he completely lost it during the season when Sven went and Pearson came back. Like most sets of fans, we don't mind a poor performance if you put the effort in but he seemed to lack any effort, desire, wouldn't go in for tackles and headers, so along with the poor performances the fans turned against him. He didn't help himself last year against Burton in the cup when he was one of many that looked as though he couldn't be arsed. He's been told he can go but Sven gave him a fancy new contract so nobody will take him on because of wages. At the end of last season somebody asked him on twitter, why he was still here when he couldn't even get on the bench and he just replied with a few pound signs. It's a shame because he's technically gifted and takes a great penalty, could do a job at the lower end of this league.

Where were you when Speedie dived? Celebrating? Me too....

Tough game ahead and am hoping and looking for a tough, disciplined, focused and professional away performance. Solid and effective defensively please, with a clean sheet at the end.

I seem to be one of the few that think we can get something here. Need a point at least, but a tidy away win would be brilliant. 1-1

I just hope we put up a better performance than last season's abject surrender!! :unsure:

Filbert St,one of the oddest grounds that I ever visited.From entering the away end through a row of terraced houses to its wildly differing sized stands..one of the few grounds that had real character.

They spent a fortune redeveloping their main stand,nearly sent them into bankruptcy before it was all flattened only a few years after being built following their move to their present soulless crisp bowl.

SPEEEDDDIIIEEEEE!!!

Golden memories..

What a game that was, Leicester were only mid table at the time but what a side that was. Garry Mac, Newell, Steve Walsh and I recall the lad on the wing Reid had a great game for them.

I was in the DE that day, great atmosphere in the last 10 minutes.

Thanks for the link SG.

What a game that was, Leicester were only mid table at the time but what a side that was. Garry Mac, Newell, Steve Walsh and I recall the lad on the wing Reid had a great game for them.

Thanks for the link SG.

I seem to remember this being on an ITV Highlights programme with Ron Atkinson the guest summariser from a derelict Riverside!

"What Mike Newell did was absolutely potty!"

Great game.

The Leicester game last year was a turning point for both teams, they were in terrible form, but somehow we made them look like Brazil and never really played well again all season.

Hope we turn it round tomorrow. Although a score draw would probably be a decent result.

That Leicester game from 1988 was an absolute epic. Shows how much the game as evolved, there would be nobody left on the pitch if todays refs had been running the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVy7PmPix7o

Part II. Brilliant stuff. Strange how you remember things, or don't as the case may be! I thought Simon Barker had left at least a couple of seasons before Archibald turned up on loan. I do remember Newell being sent off though. The pitch! bit of a state. Always remember it being immaculate. Also noted Archibald's shirt was practically dirt free - everyone else is covered in mud. Great game.

You're right Oz, they'd have been no one left on the pitch these days. Starting with Hendry being sent off after about 5 minutes for that challenge.

I stand corrected, it seems Marshall is NOT a left winger. He's not impressed on right wing yet but plenty of time to do so and is only 21.

Leicester are one of my tips for the play offs. Just think they are capable of having too many off days, a la Charlton, to get automatic promotion.

Thanks for the link SG.

Me too. That is the sort of desire, determination, endeavour and pride that we all crave from our teams. Been missing for long enough imo although I've seen just a few green shoots of recovery lately.

Is it just me but it appears that the more you pay players the more demotivated they become. :huh:

That Leicester game from 1988 was an absolute epic. Shows how much the game as evolved, there would be nobody left on the pitch if todays refs had been running the game.

If you think that you need to view the Rovers v Portsmouth vid that someone posted on here a while back! No idea where to find it but it was merciless stuff and an obvious grudge match. Killer Keeley was terrifying.... till he got sent off that is!

Me too. That is the sort of desire, determination, endeavour and pride that we all crave from our teams. Been missing for long enough imo although I've seen just a few green shoots of recovery lately.

Is it just me but it appears that the more you pay players the more demotivated they become. :huh:

If you think that you need to view the Rovers v Portsmouth vid that someone posted on here a while back! No idea where to find it but it was merciless stuff and an obvious grudge match. Killer Keeley was terrifying.... till he got sent off that is!

Len Fucillo from Luton was also terrified by Keeley as he was launched 6 foot into the air to land on his head. Jimmy Hill on MOTD was also suitably impressed!

Its noticeable how quick the game was, it is all get the ball and run as quick as you can towards the other goal.

Some proper heart and desire in the play. Great header for Rovers 1st goal too ;-)

Len Fucillo from Luton was also terrified by Keeley as he was launched 6 foot into the air to land on his head. Jimmy Hill on MOTD was also suitably impressed!

That's the only time I thought I'd seen a fatality at a game of football. He came down head first on a bone hard frozen pitch. How Fucillo didn't break his neck I'll never know.

Was only talking about that incident with an old friend the other day.

Thought he had broken his neck, if that had happened in a game involving 2 of the 'big clubs' they'd still be talking about it now, it was

pretty spectacular stuff.

Archived