BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup 2014

Stuart

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England's group looks like 2nd most difficult group.

Group G: Germany, Ghana, Portugal and USA.

Toughest group I'd say, Ghana and USA in same group in 2006, that group had Czech Republic and Italy as well, USA drew Italy but did not advance, maybe some lesson. Klinsmann against Germany, alright!

Group A: Brazil, Mexico, Croatia and Cameroon

Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia and Netherlands.

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast and Japan.

Group D: Uruguay, England, Costa Rica and Italy.

Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France and Honduras.

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria.

Group G: Germany, Ghana, Portugal and USA.

Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia and South Korea.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25229978

• Backroom

Yeah, my gut says England are stuffed. In theory no reason they can't get out of their group if the players stepped up - but based on the last two tournaments I think we all know how small the likelihood of that is.

Expect us to get beaten by italy and Uruguay then probably end up drawing with Costa Rica,

Either that or we'll win all 3 group games then go crashing out in the next round :lol:

If somebody crocks Suarez about April we might have a chance of getting beaten in the next round. :tu:

imo we have little chance of making the quarter finals and no chance of winning this as the old guard are over the hill and we have just about the weakest 'spine' of any England team in a long time. Poor keeper, average centre halves and midfield and a selection of second and third rate centre forwards. All marshalled by a very average and I have to say uninspiring manager.

However we do have some very good young players coming through and whilst this tournament will be a step too far for some it will do them nothing but good to place responsibility on their shoulders. Wilshire, Jones, Barclay, Townsend would figure in my midfield for this tournament ahead of Gerarrd, Lampard, Barry etc. And why not? Those three have been found wanting at international level for a decade. The public would have no overblown expectations and therefore little disappointment would ensue when we are dumped out. Joachim Lowe showed the way forward in South Africa. Dumped out mainly through inexperience but the German team then were like a breath of fresh air.

Whether the big corporations and sponsors will allow the has-beens to be left behind is something that I doubt. The FA is far too interested in their coin.

The corrupt FA deserve that draw, hope Germany win it !

Their FA care about the clubs and their fans.

Oh I'm sure they will enjoy their freebie, with Mr Ken Taro shredding a Brazillian dancing girl over their dirty money

Looks like I won't have a team to fall back on in the 2nd round as I was hoping to have once England make a cock up of it again.

Be interesting watching how Japan and South Korea get on.

England are in a tough group but have as good a chance as any to get through.

Group's B and G are the hardest.

Argentina and France have the easiest.

I'm happy to throw the youngsters in but I'd still have Gerrard. An old head is needed at times. He played very well at the Euro's. Hopefully Lampard's poor showings lately have him gone.

Here are the teams with their current World ranking (for what it's worth)

Group A: Brazil, Mexico, Croatia and Cameroon (10, 16, 20, 51)

Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia and Netherlands. (1, 15, 59, 9)

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast and Japan. (4, 12, 17, 48)

Group D: Uruguay, England, Costa Rica and Italy. (6, 13, 31, 7)

Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France and Honduras. (8, 23, 19, 41)

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria. (3, 21, 45, 36)

Group G: Germany, Ghana, Portugal and USA. (2, 24, 5, 14)

Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia and South Korea. (11, 26, 22, 54)

The group is hard but its about as difficult as a World Cup group should be. Of all the 'big' Euro nations to be drawn against, Italy are probably the only one I think we could beat. Uruguay could very well tear us apart but if we can snatch a draw then you never know. The Dutch and Portugese have it worse.

Also, I'm tired of hearing how England fans should putting so much expectation on the team.

When was the last time the nation expected England to do well? Barring the ITV commentary duo, I don't think anyone has talked up our chances at a major tournament in the last 10 years or so. I don't think anyone was surprised that we got battered by Germany in South Africa and, if anything, we actually have a better team now then we did 4 years ago.

If we can get out of the group then we've done very very well. Anything else is a bonus. The only consolation is that we shouldn't face many tougher tests if we do make it out of the group.

Think Portugal will be lucky to get a point in there group, can't see Netherlands going through either.

I agree on the Dutch I think they will go out. But I would be very shocked if Portugal didn't go through, Ghana and the USA are no way near as good as them. And they are capable of getting something of Germany who are good but not as good as everyone makes them out to be.

I'm happy to throw the youngsters in but I'd still have Gerrard. An old head is needed at times. He played very well at the Euro's. Hopefully Lampard's poor showings lately have him gone.

I think overall Gerrard has been poor as an International player, too many rushed 50/60 yard passes go astray, good footballer

but not good for a teams chances when you keep giving the ball to the opposition at that level.

If England think they have to keep one of the ' old guard ' I would go for Barry as I think his ' short passing game ' will suit the

conditions better, still very average in midfield though.

2 losses and a draw against Costa Rica best they can hope for, unfortunately the new crop are very average too !

No gazza's on the horizon, that I can see.

Just got home.. What dates/days times are England playing ? Cheers

Hard to work out the timezones but I think the below is correct...

14th June vs Italy 2am (So I guess 15th June then)

19th June vs Uruguay 8/9pm

24th June vs Costa Rica 5pm

29th June 2nd Round 5pm :tu:

5th July 1/4 Final 8/9pm :P

9th July Semi Final 8/9pm :lol:

13th July Final 8/9 pm :wstu:

Archived