BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup 2014

Stuart

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we English like to get our excuses in early but this fixed draw thing is a new low. If it was fixed it wasn't fixed very well was it? Look at Brazil's draw and route to the final, it's a nightmare. Surely any fixing would be to get them through for the sake of the tournament so I think we can rule that excuse out. I'm sure the referees, food, weather, hotels, media, tiredness, cheating foreigners etc can still be blamed for our impending failure though so don't worry.

The beneficiaries of the way the draw has gone are Argentina and Germany who will probably play off for a place in the final with France coming nowhere..

I know we English like to get our excuses in early but this fixed draw thing is a new low. If it was fixed it wasn't fixed very well was it? Look at Brazil's draw and route to the final, it's a nightmare. Surely any fixing would be to get them through for the sake of the tournament so I think we can rule that excuse out. I'm sure the referees, food, weather, hotels, media, tiredness, cheating foreigners etc can still be blamed for our impending failure though so don't worry.

The beneficiaries of the way the draw has gone are Argentina and Germany who will probably play off for a place in the final with France coming nowhere..

Consider the competition to host the world cups recently.

A poster on here gave me the winners via PM 1 year in advance. That draw was fixed. And all throughout the build-up countries where told they would be supported and then?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9253692.stm

Whilst it's not a clear path to the final it certainly gives them a small advantage and those add up.

No doubt the host selection process is driven by who will pay the most, but the draw itself....don't be daft lad. Personally I would dig up Bob Lord and his velvet bag with numbered marbles in for all future draws.

Why is it daft? FIFA has had so many corruption issues recently and another comes along but it can't be true as it's daft.

The world cup host is not meant to be about who pays FIFA the most dollar, it's about who's best to host the event and is meant to be a level playing field. If they're prepared to do it one aspect then all are open to scrutiny.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20131016/romario-criticizes-fifa-sepp-blatter-jerome-valcke.ap/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=corruption+FIFA&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=SIyoUt-TM7OS7AakhoG4CA#q=corruption+FIFA+valcke&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

For me the damming aspect isn't his hands moving below the view of people, it's the paper not rolling up as that's not possible if it's been rolled up.

• 4 weeks later...

There'll be a few who drop out. As our slim chances fade so do the players.

They should select the England team from the PL top 4, domestic cup winners and Championship promoted teams. Winning mentality. Wonder what that team would look like...

Guest Norbert

I'd be looking at players like Britton, Allen (is he English?) and that sort of player to put in the midfield. Calm passers of the ball who don't panic and lose it or try to beat 10 players. Then put the pace on the flanks. Gerrard can run around, or be the tackler perhaps, and the others can provide the creative drive.

There'll be a few who drop out. As our slim chances fade so do the players.

They should select the England team from the PL top 4, domestic cup winners and Championship promoted teams. Winning mentality. Wonder what that team would look like...

Very poor I'd imagine.

Why is it daft? FIFA has had so many corruption issues recently and another comes along but it can't be true as it's daft.

The world cup host is not meant to be about who pays FIFA the most dollar, it's about who's best to host the event and is meant to be a level playing field. If they're prepared to do it one aspect then all are open to scrutiny.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20131016/romario-criticizes-fifa-sepp-blatter-jerome-valcke.ap/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=corruption+FIFA&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=SIyoUt-TM7OS7AakhoG4CA#q=corruption+FIFA+valcke&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

For me the damming aspect isn't his hands moving below the view of people, it's the paper not rolling up as that's not possible if it's been rolled up.

Someone needs to set up a rival competition but it would probably be too hard to do.

Someone needs to set up a rival competition but it would probably be too hard to do.

must be something to do with being called Jerome

I'd be looking at players like Britton, Allen (is he English?) and that sort of player to put in the midfield. Calm passers of the ball who don't panic and lose it or try to beat 10 players. Then put the pace on the flanks. Gerrard can run around, or be the tackler perhaps, and the others can provide the creative drive.

Allen's Welsh. Agree with the sentiment, though.

I don't expect the US to get out of the group stage, but hopefully there's a good showing. If we beat Ghana first match then we have a shot. But if don't get a full 3 points our chances are over.

How is the Premier League going to react ?

Losing Walcott is a blow because his skills are finally starting to mature but key England players getting injured before a WC is not new.

They would have to put it to clubs to vote on a mid season break and then apply to the FA to implement it. So no doubt there will be a few brown envelopes (or as they known Fifa incentive packages) floating about and it will happen.

Allen's Welsh. Agree with the sentiment, though.

I don't expect the US to get out of the group stage, but hopefully there's a good showing. If we beat Ghana first match then we have a shot. But if don't get a full 3 points our chances are over.

As I've said before bin off all the tired old guard oif Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc as Germany did so refreshingly in SA and play the kids. It'll do them good for the euro's and as we dont have a cat in hells chance of winning it either way this is the best way for Hodgson and the country to keep some respect.

Guest Norbert

They hate all of us anyway, so we may as well cause a scene. How dare we try to present an application for the world cup without briefcases full of money and scholarships to our top universities for the children of the FIFA power brokers. That's just rude.

Now they're apparently trying to deflect criticism by saying that the decision to switch to winter hasn't been finalised yet, yet we all know that will be the case.

Scandalous really, the other bidding Countries put in perfectly legitimate and genuine bids on the basis the tournament was to be held in summer. And what kind of "footballing legacy" will be left in Qatar after everyone has packed up and gone? Absolutely none.

As for us if it hasn't already happened by then the enforced break in 2022 will no doubt herald the arrival of the bloody "winter break".

"If we've done it once we might as well do it all the time etc............." ( So teams can go on a lucrative mid season marketing tour)

Was it Real Madrid and PSG that played a friendly recently? That really got on my nerves. If the managers and players want a break that's exactly what it should be, a break. Anyone organising any exhibition games in the meantime ought to be docked ten or fifteen points

• Moderation Lead

How is the Premier League going to react ?

Losing Walcott is a blow because his skills are finally starting to mature but key England players getting injured before a WC is not new.

By bending over and accepting it I suspect.

If the national teams refused to participate, or even if only a healthy number refused, it would put the brakes on the corruption very quickly. But it requires the national associations to show some spine, which they haven't done to date.

Can you imagine the PR storm if the American, German and English national teams refused to participate until the situation was corrected?

If the national teams refused to participate, or even if only a healthy number refused, it would put the brakes on the corruption very quickly. But it requires the national associations to show some spine, which they haven't done to date.

Can you imagine the PR storm if the American, German and English national teams refused to participate until the situation was corrected?

FIFA would carry on as normal and ban the 3 countries indefinitely

Archived