BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup 2014

Stuart

• Backroom

If you are going to do anything in a World Cup you need to beat some good teams along the way so I see no real issue

If we are good enough we will do well regardless of the draw, if we aren't then we won't

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to work out the timezones but I think the below is correct...

14th June vs Italy 2am (So I guess 15th June then)

If it's 2 games a day in the opening stages Clur, and it normally is, then that's 2.00 am KO on a Sunday morning. I.e. One hell of a Saturday night! Bearing in mind it's 10.00pm kick off their time that must be the case surely? Marvellous if so!

Time to find a pub in Blackburn or Darren which'll have the heating on full blast and you're only allowed in by wearing two jumpers a big coat, and a snake round your neck, you know, get into the spirit of things.

Then again it's probably the Sunday night their time - I.e. 2 am Monday bloody morning. Forget it.

Can anyone confirm please?

Bring em all on anyway. No easy games wherever you turn.

Uruguay is good, no doubt about that but they had to go to the playoffs and defeat Jordan, knocked their socks off, to go through. So while Chile, Colombia, Argentina are without a doubt very good, Ecuador finished above Uruguay.

I do see people calling group B the group of death already. So someone rightfully said so earlier.

Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia and Netherlands

Of the African teams, maybe Nigeria could do something, they have a very good homegrown manager, Keshi but Bosnia is good too and could get that 2nd spot. Ivory Coast vs. last time being in the group with Portugal and Brazil should I'd say get out of Group C. Ghana? I think this is the 2nd straight time Ghana and Germany are in the same group, 2010 too.

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria.

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast and Japan

Group G: Germany, Ghana, Portugal and USA

erm....

Italy - they are nothing. As usual, it will depend on how much they can cheat the referee or not. Otherwise they are disjointed as a team, and don't produce anything much of quality. Nice paces but no end product. Qualified from a very weak group.

Uruguay - one player does not make a team. They finished 5th in South America, meaning half the continent was above them. And only qualified because FIFA gave them Jordan instead of Mexico.

Costa Rica - what is the point really, give these spots to more African teams.

England will very comfortably win the group with 7-9 points. I will put money on it.

• Backroom

If it's 2 games a day in the opening stages Clur, and it normally is, then that's 2.00 am KO on a Sunday morning. I.e. One hell of a Saturday night! Bearing in mind it's 10.00pm kick off their time that must be the case surely? Marvellous if so!

Time to find a pub in Blackburn or Darren which'll have the heating on full blast and you're only allowed in by wearing two jumpers a big coat, and a snake round your neck, you know, get into the spirit of things.

Then again it's probably the Sunday night their time - I.e. 2 am Monday bloody morning. Forget it.

Can anyone confirm please?

Bring em all on anyway. No easy games wherever you turn.

It is 100% our saturday night/sunday morning. 2am Uk time. That is going to be one mental weekend!

erm....

Italy - they are nothing. As usual, it will depend on how much they can cheat the referee or not. Otherwise they are disjointed as a team, and don't produce anything much of quality. Nice paces but no end product. Qualified from a very weak group.

Uruguay - one player does not make a team. They finished 5th in South America, meaning half the continent was above them. And only qualified because FIFA gave them Jordan instead of Mexico.

Costa Rica - what is the point really, give these spots to more African teams.

England will very comfortably win the group with 7-9 points. I will put money on it.

How much money ? I certainly wouldn't. In any case England don't do "comfortable" anything.

That group is pathetic. Switzerland were also high seeded somehow despite being a nothing team, very odd indeed.

Kentaro/SEM? Dodgy banking? Or this... http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2013/12/4/5174366/2014-world-cup-draw-switzerland

If there was a dodgy WC draw it was for the qualifiers. Somebody might have been thinking with a long head.

I think overall Gerrard has been poor as an International player, too many rushed 50/60 yard passes go astray, good footballer

but not good for a teams chances when you keep giving the ball to the opposition at that level.

If England think they have to keep one of the ' old guard ' I would go for Barry as I think his ' short passing game ' will suit the

conditions better, still very average in midfield though.

The heat will be very physically demanding and anybody over 25 could melt. As I said earlier 'out with the old and in with the new'.

You should know by now to never write off the Italians in tournaments. They've reached 9 finals I think.

It will be between England and Uruguay for 2nd.

Yes it's funny that given their national psyche. I can only assume that apart from 66 and 96 when we were on home soil) that pulling on the blue shirt of the Azzuri anywhere means more than wearing the 3 Lions. Odd given our Empirical history and our performances in two WW's but maybe not being 'up for it' away from home is a modern weakness in our national make up as backed up currently by our cricketers.

I had forgotten, Uruguay won it in Brazil in 1950. I don't know if that means anything.

Uruguay won the first ever World Cup, 1930, Brazil won the tournament that was held in Chile, 1962.

1978, Argentina of course won.

1986 was scheduled for Colombia but moved to Mexico.

• Backroom

As far as the English old guard go, the only men I'd keep in are Ashley Cole and Michael Carrick. Carrick can sit back and 'do a Tugay' while the young guns bomb on.

Welbeck, Townsend and Walcott as the 3 behind a targetman Rooney would be my bet. Carrick sat in front of defence (unless a midfield hardman emerges). Cahill, Jones and Smalling as a back 3 with Baines and Walker as wing-backs.

I know that our TV companies wanted it switched to this time but this is not good news, it would have been cooler for the players had the game kicked off at 2am.

Agreed, Hodgson can't be happy with the switch.

Haven't read all the conteibutions to this thread so apologies if anyone else has posted this, very difficult group imo, I think we'll be home before the postcards as Tommy Doc used to say.

Agreed, Hodgson can't be happy with the switch.

Haven't read all the conteibutions to this thread so apologies if anyone else has posted this, very difficult group imo, I think we'll be home before the postcards as Tommy Doc used to say.

Yeah Hodgson won't be happy, he said yesterday that it was good that the kick off is at 9pm (local time), but the UK and Italian TV companies complained and asked for the kick off time to be switched. Not a surprise that FIFA agreed to the request.

I know that our TV companies wanted it switched to this time but this is not good news, it would have been cooler for the players had the game kicked off at 2am.

Disgraceful decision. Money and TV rules the roost and sod the footballers.

Where are the Health and Safety brigade???

We should start a campaign to have the KO time reversed.

If you look at the groups I don't think England have done too badly in the draw.

There's only France and Greece I would have swapped with. Good to avoid Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Germany at this stage.

And talking of Spain, I wonder if they will fail to qualify from the group stage. It's tricky for them.

Hard to work out the timezones but I think the below is correct...

14th June vs Italy 2am (So I guess 15th June then)

19th June vs Uruguay 8/9pm

24th June vs Costa Rica 5pm

29th June 2nd Round 5pm :tu:

5th July 1/4 Final 8/9pm :P

9th July Semi Final 8/9pm :lol:

13th July Final 8/9 pm :wstu:

Cheers ... Gutted they've moved Italy match .. It's the mrs 50th birthday party ha

FIFA all over, give the tournament to a great country, but why on earth allow a venue 1800 miles from Rio, in the middle of nowhere (sod the fans), where there is poverty, no appetite for footy (average gate 3,000), and build a 43,000 seater stadium no-one really wants.

And still they play about with the draw, so France, a qualifier through the play-offs gets the easiest group.......well done Platini

Archived