BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Robinson makes comeback

Blackburn goalkeeper Paul Robinson makes comeback appearance after nine-month injury nightmare

10 Dec 2013 22:30

Former England stopper had blood clot on lung after back surgery but returned for behind-closed-doors game against Carlisle

Paul Robinson made a secret comeback for Blackburn Rovers yesterday - after nine months on the sidelines.

The former England keeper played against Carlisle United in a closed-door game and had a stand-out performance despite a 1-0 defeat.

Robinson had a major back problem and was seriously ill after complications with an operation, but he has battled back to make his return.

Now the veteran shot-stopper hopes to push for a first-team recall in the next month although he still has to work on his overall fitness.

Robinson had lost his place in the Rovers side before his injury problems, but his replacement Jake Kean has struggled for form recently.

Boss Gary Bowyer picked reserve Simon Eastwood last weekend but will be boosted by Robinson’s availability in the next few weeks.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Only when it comes to Rovers as there's nothing to cheer about. :( Everything else in life is absolutely brilliant.

Glad for Robbo but he's not the long term answer to our keeper woes.

As long as he's the answer for another year or two, who gives a @#/??

Only when it comes to Rovers as there's nothing to cheer about. :( Everything else in life is absolutely brilliant.Glad for Robbo but he's not the long term answer to our keeper woes.

Glad to hear it and you're not really suicidal Sid in disguise.

Compared to 92 to 2010 you're right and it takes some getting used to. We all know the reasons for that though (JW finances, local pride, astute knowledge and business acumen v Raos).

Pointless whinging now, we are where we are. You can either carry on beating yourself up and whine about it or try your best to enjoy Saturday afternoons win, lose or draw.

Unfortunately the DJ incident leaves a nasty taste in my mouth as everything contentious in a game now will inevitably be viewed in a different light. Was he, did he....?

Back to Robbo: His previous failings in goal to me were of a psychological nature, his recent medical issues may have helped overcome them and he may return as a world beater!

Robbo for England!!

Glad to hear it and you're not really suicidal Sid in disguise.

Compared to 92 to 2010 you're right and it takes some getting used to. We all know the reasons for that though (JW finances, local pride, astute knowledge and business acumen v Raos).

Pointless whinging now, we are where we are. You can either carry on beating yourself up and whine about it or try your best to enjoy Saturday afternoons win, lose or draw.

Unfortunately the DJ incident leaves a nasty taste in my mouth as everything contentious in a game now will inevitably be viewed in a different light. Was he, did he....?

Back to Robbo: His previous failings in goal to me were of a psychological nature, his recent medical issues may have helped overcome them and he may return as a world beater!

Robbo for England!!

Acknowledging the truth is not whinging.

You can enjoy the games without having to draw a veil over what's happened.

If stating the truth makes some people on here uncomfortable then so be it. The past cannot be erased.

Acknowledging the truth is not whinging.

You can enjoy the games without having to draw a veil over what's happened.

If stating the truth makes some people on here uncomfortable then so be it. The past cannot be erased.

What truth should one acknowledge?

I speak for myself in so much that I've watched Rovers for approaching 50 years. I still can't believe what was achieved but generally down to one man and his vision. IMO that is the truth.

I'm at a loss really to what else you elude in context

* Allude.

The basic truth is that we're up the creek without a paddle, surely? Why else do you think Zippy's got the hump?

Thanks Mr. Pedantry.

You're stating the obvious but that wasn't my point and we're going way off topic in any event.

We've got @#/? owners who don't know the first thing about football, have made massive, monumental errors that have cost them millions. Shame they didn't entrust that to people of knowledge in the game and with an allegiance to the club.

For those that go to Ewood these days, we know the improvements that have been made, not perfect but at least a step in the right direction.

Without a 'sugar daddy/benefactor' what would Rovers' annual income be and where would that place us?

Anyways, well done Robbo!

Robinson's return is clearly good news to everyone apart from the tiresome troll Zippy, top bloke Robbo, and if he can recover full mobility which he clearly appeared to be lacking before he was initially dropped by Berg he'll be a real asset.

Sounds like he's still quite some way short of match fitness though

Great to see Robbo back in the reckoning. He may be past his best but he is still a valuable asset because of his vast experience, and if he can get back to full match fitness then he will be invaluable both on and off the pitch.

Will he be? He was widely condemned as a past it flapper by many on here when he was dropped for Kean. Rochina gets more regarded the longer he doesn't play by the goldfish memories so its hardly surprising Robbo will be the same.

I've never felt totally confident in robinson, was/is a flapper but there are other areas of goalkeeping where his experience alone will make us stronger and maybe take some pressure of the defenders.

Though obviously Eastwood deserves to keep his place if he can at stay close to the performance level of the qpr game.

hes a top quality keeper. he will need a few weeks to get his fitness back up. I really hope he can get back to his best because he made some great saves for us under big sam

I don't dispute that one little bit and having him in the team would be of benefit. but Bowyer clearly likes Kean more and Robbo won't be happy being on the bench.

We're apparently looking to pay-off players again and Robbo is a player that other clubs will be interested in. Was it not this summer we were trying to sell him to Sam at west ham?

He'll play one or two and then be moved on.

Sad but it's the Rovers way these days.

Thanks Mr. Pedantry.

You're stating the obvious but that wasn't my point and we're going way off topic in any event.

We've got kean owners who don't know the first thing about football, have made massive, monumental errors that have cost them millions. Shame they didn't entrust that to people of knowledge in the game and with an allegiance to the club.

For those that go to Ewood these days, we know the improvements that have been made, not perfect but at least a step in the right direction.

Without a 'sugar daddy/benefactor' what would Rovers' annual income be and where would that place us?

Anyways, well done Robbo!

You were having a pop at Zippy because he wouldn't let the past go.

But since we've made a step in the right direction, perhaps you're right, we should just conveniently forget about what's gone on and stop moaning. Never mind that what's happened this season is a spit in the ocean.

Imagine being miserable because morons took over your club and have progressively ruined. I mean, what a whinger!

Archived