BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Robinson makes comeback

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if he has been doing very little exercise, that's NO excuse for having moobs. He obviously hasn't been eating within his calorie limit. :blink:

Garbage.

Perish the thought that you find yourself in a similar situation but see if you could manage a calorie-controlled diet whilst recovering from a life-saving operation.

Garbage.

Perish the thought that you find yourself in a similar situation but see if you could manage a calorie-controlled diet whilst recovering from a life-saving operation.

As a pro athlete, esp. one trying to recover from long-term injury, it would be a basic requirement to eat healthily. That's the one thing he can control in that situation, and he quite visibly has failed at that.

Went on the game last night. Thought Robbo was ok considering his lengthy absence. Was at fault for the first goal but then pulled off a couple of good saves in the second half, one in particular was excellent. It's going to take a couple of months of these type of games before he can be considered for the first 11.

On a wider note there is a hell of a lot of deadwood needs clearing out of the club. Fabio Nunes (remember him?) was very poor and the likes of Marcus Olsson need moving on ASAP. And why on earth did we sign Yan Songo'o?

Sorry but this goes out the window in these circumstances. Particularly early in the recovery period.

He does need to get fit now though - and sharpish.

If I assume Robbo is 100% ready to be training under stress as given he's playing matches again. Then provided he wasn't required for 1st team for 3 weeks I could have him ripped at the end of it. 60gm per day carb diet, 3-4gm pure protein shakes, multi vits and minerals and away you go. Jockies do it, Boxers do it, christ even drinking slimfast or herbalife would take it off him in 4-5 weeks. I berated Rooney for coming back fat after taking his ice cream diet to an extreme for the euro's and so will do the same here. Hanley gets it as well and don't even start me on the drinkers at Rovers. Professional sport, highly paid athletes, better than any other sport we have and yet?

Given todays sports science knowledge it is absolutely no excuse.

Really? Eastwood is 24 and 10 years younger than Robinson. At 34 and recovering from major back surgey with serious complications and commanding a reported 40k pw I think it's much safer to say that Robinson is not a long term answer.

Not a long term answer given that he isn't good enough. I might be being too hard on him given I only saw him live versus Carlisle, where he was pretty poor, and the highlights of the two games he's played recently. If Robinson can stay fully fit for the next year or two then 34 shouldn't be a big problem.

I think you might be being a little harsh Majiball when you think he wasn't able to do any exercise for months but I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, unlike Amarillo, at least you know what you are talking about.

Hopefully in the next 3 or 4 weeks he'll get fitter, slimmer and stronger and we will see if he can solve our GK worries.

I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, Maj.

The clock is ticking now though. If he doesn't change his diet now that he is back in full training then we may have a Benni-McCarthy-West-Ham situation.

Not a long term answer given that he isn't good enough. I might be being too hard on him given I only saw him live versus Carlisle, where he was pretty poor, and the highlights of the two games he's played recently. If Robinson can stay fully fit for the next year or two then 34 shouldn't be a big problem.

I think you might be being a little harsh Majiball when you think he wasn't able to do any exercise for months but I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, unlike Amarillo, at least you know what you are talking about.

Hopefully in the next 3 or 4 weeks he'll get fitter, slimmer and stronger and we will see if he can solve our GK worries.

Judging a goalkeeper on highlights is not ideal - because highlights are mostly just goals going in.

But that aside Eastwood is only 2 games in to this opportunity he has been given to start, so I think judging him as not being good enough already is ridiculous. Especially when one of those games was a clean sheet against QPR, and the other was played in very strong winds and driving rain.

Eastwood might not turn out to be good enough, but from what I have seen there is reason to be hopeful. Where Robinson is concerned people are remembering the good bits - in the same way that Rochina was going to come back and save our season.

I was mainly basing my opinion on the match i was at versus Carlisle, in which he looked like, at best, a league two GK, which is where he came from. His all round game was poor, pretty much everything except close range shots. Obviously it's a bit unfaor to judge a player on one game, but his mistake for the 2nd goal in the Milwall game didn't help. Hopefully he improves with a run in the side and confidence gained but his origins and weak initial performance leave me less than optimistic.

Judging a goalkeeper on highlights is not ideal - because highlights are mostly just goals going in.

But that aside Eastwood is only 2 games in to this opportunity he has been given to start, so I think judging him as not being good enough already is ridiculous. Especially when one of those games was a clean sheet against QPR, and the other was played in very strong winds and driving rain.

Eastwood might not turn out to be good enough, but from what I have seen there is reason to be hopeful. Where Robinson is concerned people are remembering the good bits - in the same way that Rochina was going to come back and save our season.

To be be fair Kean started out the same.. Looked half decent but a few mistakes a and quality managers picking the keeper as the weekness it's all over!!

We have one of the most experienced and talented keepers on our books in the league who has just had close to a year off..

If I'm manager, I'm throwing him straight in the deep end if he's fit..

Robbo misses some easier shots, particularly those which are low-down and long-range. However, in the past he's saved us with some blinders, he does know when to come out and when to wait, and he does have authority with the defence and keans them when they mess up.

He also has a great relationship with the fans and would boost our morale imo.

Well if he knows then why does he hardly.ever come and mostly waits. Really another player who has improved immensely by not playing. He was a liability before Kean replaced him I'm sure nothing will have changed. Stick with Eastwood for now.

Well if he knows then why does he hardly.ever come and mostly waits. Really another player who has improved immensely by not playing. He was a liability before Kean replaced him I'm sure nothing will have changed. Stick with Eastwood for now.

Does it say something about how we are coping with the bleakness of current Rovers' times that some players improve so much without playing?

I would love Robinson to recover, but I know he he is no Friedel.

Then I couldn't believe it when I caught myself investing such hope in Rochina, when I had decided previously that he was a liability with flash in the pan brilliance.....if you can dream -and not make dreams your master....

Does it say something about how we are coping with the bleakness of current Rovers' times that some players improve so much without playing?

I would love Robinson to recover, but I know he he is no Friedel.

Then I couldn't believe it when I caught myself investing such hope in Rochina, when I had decided previously that he was a liability with flash in the pan brilliance.....if you can dream -and not make dreams your master....

Comparing Robinson and Rochina, that's a bit bloody harsh on Paul I think, though well done!!

Yes love to have little jibes at Americans.. But you have just confirmed its a nation of retards!!

If I assume Robbo is 100% ready to be training under stress as given he's playing matches again. Then provided he wasn't required for 1st team for 3 weeks I could have him ripped at the end of it. 60gm per day carb diet, 3-4gm pure protein shakes, multi vits and minerals and away you go. Jockies do it, Boxers do it, christ even drinking slimfast or herbalife would take it off him in 4-5 weeks. I berated Rooney for coming back fat after taking his ice cream diet to an extreme for the euro's and so will do the same here. Hanley gets it as well and don't even start me on the drinkers at Rovers. Professional sport, highly paid athletes, better than any other sport we have and yet?

Given todays sports science knowledge it is absolutely no excuse.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/health/scientists-vitamin-supplements-have-no-clear-health-benefit-are-waste-of-money-and-could.1387262810

Does anyone else find weight loss and diet discussions really really boring?

Honestly, all the talk of extra timber and moobs, it's like an episode of loose women. Oh and what was he thinking with that shirt and those boots? It was so 2012!! Two words darling, Colour Coordination!!

I'm sure that his injury caused his performance to be reduced. When match fit I'd still regard him as our No 1.

If you think Eastwood's game on Saturday was good enough then we will have to disagree.

• Backroom

I was one of the people that wanted him dropped when he was particularly bad last season but the fact is Kean has proven himself to be far worse and Eastwood has hinted he's poor as well so Robbo if fit could end up being our best option.

He has to shift a bit of timber first mind you, let's hope 'Gaz' has them all on strict orders over Christmas

On that note could this be the first time Dunny has featured in the Christmas fixtures? Nearly every year without fail he picks up an injury (one way or another) just before Christmas

The diet above is not one within which you will get anything like what you need vit & min wise. The article says that if you have a good diet you don't need them and I would agree but the above is basically like atkins and will force the body to digest it's self. The protein will offset muscle mass being degraded but the body will then consume it's fat stores to fuel itself. It is not healthy long term but for a short period OK.

PS good to see you read a real paper.

Archived