BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hillsborough 96

I know it's been done over and over, but it's a significant event when Gerrard puts up 96000 pounds to the fund (or whatever) on the eve of the Scouser derby

Has a footballer ever parted with his money in such a fashion before?

Do they really have compassion?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's been done over and over, but it's a significant event when Gerrard puts up 96000 pounds to the fund (or whatever) on the eve of the Scouser derby

Has a footballer ever parted with his money in such a fashion before?

Do they really have compassion?

That's a strange figure. What is it.... 3 days work or so?

I do however rem niall Quinn handing over the proceeds from his testimonial match to charity.

• Backroom

Nice touch

Would have been nicer unpublicised

Good to see people in the public eye put their weight behind things though I see he's written a letter to the PM 'demanding' schools have deffribulators (sp?) after a 12 year old died

• Moderation Lead

Pocket money for him, and probably a tax write-off too. He's all heart.

Maybe so, but he didn't have to. A nice gesture, and a difficult one to poke holes in.....

Maybe so, but he didn't have to. A nice gesture, and a difficult one to poke holes in.....

Disgustingly rich man issues press release to announce that he's donated a small sum to charity.

Also, as theno pointed out earlier, there were an additional 39 people wasted and now forgotten by Liverpool fans.

• Backroom

Tough school on here. Guy gives £100k to charity and he's a self-serving publicist, seeking tax advantages.

Or maybe someone affected by the tragedy who can afford to donate this amount and has done so?

For me its a nice touch whatever spin people wish to put on it.

Standard reaction to some-one with money unfortunately, they're never going to win.

Reminds me of a Noel Gallagher story. Talks of when he would go back to his old boozer in Manchester after making it big.

Said if he walks in quietly minding his own business and sits in the corner for a drink then all he would get is - "Look at that stingy git, makes all that money and he can't even buy a drink and have some time for his old mates. He's changed."

But if he walks in, sticks a wad behind the bar and says all drinks are on me he just gets - "Look at Mr. Moneybags back showing off, rubbing it in our faces, thinking he's Mr. Big Time etc"

So he was of the opinion that no matter what he did he was only ever going to please half of the people, and the rest would slate him, or visa versa.

Sadly, I believe he finished the tale with the conclusion that the easiest option was just not to go back at all.

It's the press release part of it that's distasteful. Give money to the cause, fine, but don't get your PR person to advertise it to the media. It was the top story on BBC news! Stevie G - does a lot for charity, but doesn't like to talk about it.

How much he earns is not irrelevant, though.

- At a guess, he makes, say, £10m per year. That's not including endorsements, sponsorship, bonuses, etc. Just the basic £10m living wage.

- The average Liverpool fan is on benefits maybe £22k. So, comparatively, £96k is to Stevie G as £211 is to a normal scouser.

- If you sign up with one of those town-centre chuggers, they're going to be squeezing you for £5 or £10 a month.

- Therefore Stevie G's spectacularly newsworthy gesture is basically the equivalent of an ordinary person signing a small direct debit with Greenpeace, Age Concern and Save The Children, and if I went around boasting that I'd just done that, expecting my friends to pat me on the back and buy me a drink, they'd probably just think I was an arsehole.

It's the press release part of it that's distasteful. Give money to the cause, fine, but don't get your PR person to advertise it to the media. It was the top story on BBC news! Stevie G - does a lot for charity, but doesn't like to talk about it.

- At a guess, he makes, say, £10m per year. That's not including endorsements, sponsorship, bonuses, etc. Just the basic £10m living wage.

- The average Liverpool fan is on benefits maybe £22k. So, comparatively, £96k is to Stevie G as £211 is to a normal scouser.

- If you sign up with one of those town-centre chuggers, they're going to be squeezing you for £5 or £10 a month.

- Therefore Stevie G's spectacularly newsworthy gesture is basically the equivalent of an ordinary person signing a small direct debit with Greenpeace, Age Concern and Save The Children, and if I went around boasting that I'd just done that, expecting my friends to pat me on the back and buy me a drink, they'd probably just think I was an arsehole.

I'll be honest if you donate £211 I'd gladly pat you on the back and say nice touch. Quite frankly his motives are irrelevant here. The group now has 96k to help with its efforts

That's my main gripe, the publicising. That being said, how do we know it isn't the charity publicising the donation from the captain of the relayed football team?

Precisely. This way the charity get £96,000 plus a lot of free publicity.

The cynicism on this messageboard astounds me at times.

Standard reaction to some-one with money unfortunately, they're never going to win.

Reminds me of a Noel Gallagher story. Talks of when he would go back to his old boozer in Manchester after making it big.

Said if he walks in quietly minding his own business and sits in the corner for a drink then all he would get is - "Look at that stingy git, makes all that money and he can't even buy a drink and have some time for his old mates. He's changed."

But if he walks in, sticks a wad behind the bar and says all drinks are on me he just gets - "Look at Mr. Moneybags back showing off, rubbing it in our faces, thinking he's Mr. Big Time etc"

So he was of the opinion that no matter what he did he was only ever going to please half of the people, and the rest would slate him, or visa versa.

Sadly, I believe he finished the tale with the conclusion that the easiest option was just not to go back at all. in anger?

After that cynical post, yup.

Sad to see such pettyiness and quite frankly jealousy of someones wealth.

What he has done is very generous, it is alot of money irrespective of his earnings, which are nothing to do with us.

So what if he has tried to publicise it, I'm sure as far as the charity is concerned he could say whatever he wanted after donating such a sum of money in what is a noble deed. When in fact it is regarding a matter that is very close to his heart, therefore his words are even more genuine.

I think people need to perhaps take a look at themselves if they are finding fault with something like this. Just because it is a wealthy footballer.

Incidentally, this reminds me of a vid on Youtube of these American guys tipping waitresses $200, filming their reactions and then going back afterwards to get a pat on the back. Thing is, the people doing it were Youtube partners so they would've made their money back and then some from the amount of hits the video received, plus everyone now thinks they're saints.

Matthew 6:1-18 comes to mind.

Archived