BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] READING V ROVERS Sat 22nd Feb 2014

TBTF

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have an outside chance of the playoffs and I think, with that in mind, a draw would be a good result. 'There or thereabouts' is a good target and staying in the mix (Jesus, how many clichés?!) would be a job well done by Bowyer.

1-1 dubious penalty shout on Rhodes that could have won it for us late on, but naturally, isn't given.

Staying in the mix??

I 'd quite like us to actually enter the mix. Our players do interviews daily about getting into the play offs. Like i said at the start of the thread...stop talking and start getting some points, you know, a bit like all the others are.

Go on Rovers please please surprise me .I fear that anything less than 4 points out of these 2 away games and the wind will have gone from our sails completely by the time the family from Dingleland turns up.

Staying in the mix??

I 'd quite like us to actually enter the mix. Our players do interviews daily about getting into the play offs. Like i said at the start of the thread...stop talking and start getting some points, you know, a bit like all the others are.

Go on Rovers please please surprise me .I fear that anything less than 4 points out of these 2 away games and the wind will have gone from our sails completely by the time the family from Dingleland turns up.

That might not be a bad thing for the Burnley game , we could play without fear and actually put a performance in ala City .....

We were never gpoing to get in the play offs Saturday , I fear will confirm this ...

We need a win to stay in with any chance of 6th spot imo. We struggle on the road and Reading are in decent form, a point at any other time would be a good result. If we let the shackles off will we suffer at the back? Could be either a 3-1 win or a 3-2 defeat if we go for it!

Rovers have had plenty of time to prepare for this game and with almost a full squad to choose from it should be interesting to see just how good team Bowyer and Rovers are.

Rovers need a win from this game just to set up the rest of the season.

Fortune favours the brave ..........how brave will Rovers be on the day.

Evans wasn't even going to be ready to start this game. he wont be anywhere near match fitness and Rovers would be much using him as a sib in the next couple of games. he hasn't even play 90 mins for the the under 21's team this week.

Kamy on twitter said he has heard that Rovers will go it straight from kick off. very attacking team

Northern Rover@Northern_Rover Feb 19

Certainly sounding like the 'handbrake' going to be removed on Saturday! Expecting to see us go for it against Reading.

looking forward to getting to this one, even though it's against a soulless club, in a soulless stadium in a soulless part of a soulless town and will probably end our faint hopes of sneaking into the play-offs.

Hopefully will be another decent away following, they've been good most of the season i think. Any alehouses near the ground or is town the best bet? (the one near the train station is OK from memory)

coyb

Staying in the mix??

TBF TBTF, I'd like us to storm up, somehow manage to get into the automatic promotion spots (irrespective of the mathematical possibilities - too lazy to check) and win a cup next year while pushing for a European spot. We'd all like success, but my expectations were low at the start of the season and I'm generally pleased with how things have gone, considering the last few years.

Rooting for a win, but a draw is a good result and the one I expect.

• Backroom

Evans wasn't even going to be ready to start this game. he wont be anywhere near match fitness and Rovers would be much using him as a sib in the next couple of games. he hasn't even play 90 mins for the the under 21's team this week.

You said exactly the same about Robinson the week he started against City

Chances are he won't start for a few weeks though and it seems Dabo when utilised will be another in the hole type so Lowe and Williamson may get the go ahead

There's no reason not to go for it at this point though then again there hasn't been in many games where we've settled for a point

Can't keep chugging along as we are. Results need to improve if the team harbours any hopes of the playoffs. Dems da facts. Few will complain if Bowyer starts an attacking line-up and seizes the initiative a la Leeds away.

Iv got to be honest, I feel relaxed about the rest of the season. Financially, we badly need PL football but oppositely I fear that if we went up we would get a good hiding most weeks and come straight down..

That isn't a slant on GB and the work he's done because the overhaul of dross+egos to youth+desire is amazing.

IMO this Young team will kick in at some point. I genuinely think that GB is building a team/squad/ethos which could demolish the Championship at some point in the next 12 months.

If we are to go up then IMO we need to hit a 10ish game purple patch where we win 6/7 games, draw 2/3 and lose 1 (absolute maximum). This has to start tmrw...no excuses!!

However, whilst my heart wants to believe my head says that we won't be consistent enough. Either way I am wholly confident that we are sailing in the right direction under GB. So much so that I can see a life after Rhodes should we not go up.

Would be great if he would just remove the handbrake, stick Cairney next to Lowe and play Conway and Taylor out wide.

Side note - if Rhodes decides to go on a rampage for a few games that could be the difference!! Fingers crossed!

Not sure i'd go so far as to say i believe we could demolish the Championship in the next 12 months, but i do believe keeping Bowyer, the core of the squad, the same blueprint and adding some more quality would see an improvement next season.

The trouble is i don't trust the Rao's to have the courage of their convictions to see the job through. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we miss the playoffs this season and Bowyer is sacked. I hope not, but with the committee in situ then who knows whats around the corner.

You said exactly the same about Robinson the week he started against City

Chances are he won't start for a few weeks though and it seems Dabo when utilised will be another in the hole type so Lowe and Williamson may get the go ahead

There's no reason not to go for it at this point though then again there hasn't been in many games where we've settled for a point

What I have said about Evans is roughly what Bowyer said on Rovers player and Radio Lancs yesterday with me giving my own views on the Evans situation.

I hope Bowyer plays Cairney and Lowe in centre midfield with Taylor and Conway wide. Kane, Hanley, Kilgallon and Spurr as the back four. Rhodes and Gestede up front. we need to attack Reading from the 1st minute of the game.

• Backroom

Robinson

Kane Kilnley Spurr

Cairney Lowe

Taylor Dunn Conway

Gestede

Good side but I reckon it'll be:

Robinson

Kane Killanley(prefer that contraction)Spurr

Taylor Cairney Lowe Conway

Gestede Rhodes

Good side but I reckon it'll be:

Robinson

Kane Killanley(prefer that contraction)Spurr

Taylor Cairney Lowe Conway

Gestede Rhodes

OK but I think that if Dunny is available he has to play.

In place of who Al?

In place of who Al?

Taylor or Conway. If you have to shuffle a bit to accommodate him so be it. Alternatively you can drop Rhodes or Gestede depending upon how your view of them falls.

Archived