BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Great Expectations (Beyond Back or Sack)

Abbey is right 23points off promotion and finished 8th...

Momentum will count for zilch come August everyone starts from scratch...

A season of missed opportunities , the manager has lost us too many points ....

It looks he will still be in charge come August , hope he has learned his lessons cos next season will not be has forgiving !

For months and months, all you've done is is bag on the manager - I do not understand how you can concentrate solely and purely on negative aspects of his reign. For example, if the manager is responsible for all the times we didn't win, why is he not responsible for the 18 wins?

This is just an example and If I wanted to be really arsey I would list up the posts you've made. It's constantly the same negative BS beliefs which lead to fans booing 23 minutes into a home game. If we play well it's the players, if we play bad it's the manager.

It might not matter to you, but this time last season the club was 4 points from League 1. MIght not seem a realistic prospect because how could "the mighty blues" go to the third tier... Well I'm afraid it nearly happened.

Regardless of the lack of hindsight exerted by lots (especially the creator of this thread) - This season has been a stone cold success compared to the last 3. We have not had as effective recruitment since Mark Hughes and Big Sam, we've not gone unbeaten for 12 games since 1995 and according to a few that's the first set of 3 back to back wins in 5 years.

Analysis expects me to look at both sides of the coin, and I always do. YES, if we'd achieved consistency this season - we would have blown the league away. A few better substitutions may have given us one or two more points and could we really afford another season in this league?

I'm afraid the latter part of that is probably true, but to hold GB accountable as a failure for not doing so, is ridiculously short sighted!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackpool, Norwich and Crystal Palace have all gone up in recent years and conceded a fair few goals in doing so. I thought that Robbo had another year on his contract. As for Bowyer's comments every manager says that, if any manager said they had the squad they wanted they would immediately be putting pressure on themselves.

You're right of course. We've no chance given the ease we concede goals. We've conceded 41 goals in our away games, Burnley have conceded 37 in ALL their games, home and away.

The 'keeper's gone in the agility stakes in my opinion, that's reason for some of the goals. The other one is the inability of our central midfielders to bottle up the area in and around the " D ". I've lost count of free shots we've allowed from this area.

In conclusion I expect us to end up roughly where we have this season. Between 6 th and 10 th. That is if we retain the squad and coaching staff we have now.

With the squad and resources available the playoffs should be the minimum aim next season (if we lose a couple of players that may have to be revised). Does the manager have the tactical nous to win a playoff battle? I'm not so sure, it's a completely different pressure compared to the league format.

The defence has to be the priority, if you concede a couple of goals every week it's a big ask to score 3 or more. What happens if your strikers get injured or have a bad run of form? You need a strong defence to grind out wins and for that you also need good tactics. No question Bowyer seems to be a good man motivator but his tactical acumen is average at best so far during his tenure.

There will be no momentum going into next season, Rovers will have to start from scratch.

Big opportunity missed this season. Last 12 games have shown enough for me to be at peace with Gaz having another crack it again next season but next season he really does need to have a proper crack. There's absolutely nowhere for him to hide next term and the fans surely won't stand for another season of inconsistency such as this one. Hopefully, this recent attitude and faith he's shown in the players to win games will be a blueprint for how we set out next season. These players are good enough.

Bowyer has done a steady job, all things considered. If he can cut out the elementary mistakes, learn that we have nothing to fear in this division, and bring in the experience needed for a promotion campaign, then we have as good a shot as anyone. It's a clean slate next season for management & players. Bowyer will need to hit the ground running if we wish to avoid another season of what might have beens.

Well, I think it's pretty obvious that he won't get canned. It seems all you have to do to avoid the tin tack is call the boss "Madame", be a good little lad and travel across the world when summoned (for a chat that could be done via skype) and avoid under-performing too badly. Oh, and being able to blather your way out of anything, being able to put the blame on others is particularly useful..

He's brought in a heck of a lot of players, some of those need shunting on for obvious reasons, leaving a rump of a team that needs plugging in certain areas. Basically a whole new back four barring left back, plus goalkeeper. That's quite a tall order. And then he'll need to keep hold of the decent players that we do have.

I'm assuming he won't have the football version of an epiphany and see the light with regards to tactics and formations. So I can only hope he improves the staff to tackle this shortcoming.

I doubt all of these problems will be resolved this summer, so I'll hazard a guess that we'll finish 5th next season and lose in the play-offs.

Well, I think it's pretty obvious that he won't get canned. It seems all you have to do to avoid the tin tack is call the boss "Madame", be a good little lad and travel across the world when summoned (for a chat that could be done via skype) and avoid under-performing too badly. Oh, and being able to blather your way out of anything, being able to put the blame on others is particularly useful..

He's brought in a heck of a lot of players, some of those need shunting on for obvious reasons, leaving a rump of a team that needs plugging in certain areas. Basically a whole new back four barring left back, plus goalkeeper. That's quite a tall order. And then he'll need to keep hold of the decent players that we do have.

I'm assuming he won't have the football version of an epiphany and see the light with regards to tactics and formations. So I can only hope he improves the staff to tackle this shortcoming.

I doubt all of these problems will be resolved this summer, so I'll hazard a guess that we'll finish 5th next season and lose in the play-offs.

hang on ... getting in the play offs is not the same as getting promoted. As much as it was the only carrot dangling this year and therefore would have been a partial result, lets remember 3 of those teams that were dancing round at the final whistle yesterday will still be in the championship with us in August.

Play offs is only half way house and yet we seem to be thinking we've done it if we make them.

2 lots of fans will be absolutely gutted in 10 days time and another lot will be crying their eyes out at Wembley in 3 weeks.

The play offs is not an aspiration its a second chance for those that weren't quite good enough. Only promotion will redeem our perilous financial position , not the play offs. Promotion is really the only measure.

I can't honestly see us finishing next season any higher than this one.

Three of the four play-off teams will still be here as will three current prem teams with lots of parachute cash and a desire to bounce back.

Then we have Adkins and McCarthy whose teams have been around us for the last few months and probably will again.

That's eight teams, seven of which are currently higher than us. What is the reasoning that says we will be better than seven of those next season, especially if nothing changes with our manager and coaches?

I don't buy this momentum thing. The 12 match unbeaten run is irrelevant - that's gone and we start again from zero.

Abbey makes the key point. We needed to win another 8 games. Automatic promotion? Personally I can't see it unless:

We learn to defend. 4-3 is exciting but not promotion form

Get a new keeper. Sadly I think Robbo is near the end.

Grind out results

Stop inviting pressure by sitting back

Perform for 90 minutes

I would love to see a promotion challenge but at best only see us in the play offs. It's too soon to be worrying about it though.

A couple of things - though I don't disagree with much you have written - but for all our issues - the approach in the last twelve matches - included 4-3 victories would see us automatically promoted.

If they are to improve one thing next season - it has to be the players fitness.

Next season will sure be interesting. I'd be made up if we got promoted but this old heart of mine, which has been hurt broke a thousand times, and my hooter, tells me that not all will be smooth sailing

Corrected it Bryan :)

A couple of things - though I don't disagree with much you have written - but for all our issues - the approach in the last twelve matches - included 4-3 victories would see us automatically promoted.

If they are to improve one thing next season - it has to be the players fitness.

Get Majiball in there ASAP

It's obvious why he would say that 47 er. You know why and I know why.

Not like you to prevaricate around the bush Den! You tell me what your thinking is and I'll respond as to whether I agree or not.

Then we'll have begun a dialogue!!!

Not like you to prevaricate around the bush Den! You tell me what your thinking is and I'll respond as to whether I agree or not.

Then we'll have begun a dialogue!!!

It won't have gone unnoticed to Bowyer that Steve Kean made himself a millionnairre, first and foremost by becoming friends with Mrs D. Without that friendship he certainly wouldn't have lasted as long as he did.

If I were Bowyer, I would go exactly the same way, knowing that it's not too difficult to stay on this particular gravy train by promises of riches in the future. Is this method of working to the benefit of the club, or the manager? To me it stinks.

Abbey is right 23points off promotion and finished 8th...

Momentum will count for zilch come August everyone starts from scratch...

A season of missed opportunities , the manager has lost us too many points ....

It looks he will still be in charge come August , hope he has learned his lessons cos next season will not be has forgiving !

Come off it Waggy. I appreciate the break in the off season will mean the habit of not losing won't be as prominent. But tell me honestly, if you discount the fact the club is in the PL and not the Championship, would you feel more confident going into next season if you supported Newcastle or Rovers?

Maybe momentum is the wrong term, but the side should go into next season with a level of belief which wouldn't exist if we had been spanked in the last 12 games.

I appreciate that Rovers under Bowyer threw away the playoff opportunity, but after the last few horrendous seasons i'm not going to be made to feel guilty about looking forward to next season and seeing tentative signs of promise. I've had enough of frittering away my summers thinking about another nightmare season looming large.

Den a proper deal makes both parties look good and both should benefit

Desai was stitched up by the chancers. Their front man in the club Kean made her and her family look fools and she was forced to make him a millionaire to get rid of the problem. Kean had the charm to make Desai believe in what he was doing as well as the thick skin not to care as long as he walked away with a settlement..

Far too cycnical an analysis.

OK, we'll that's a view and you could be correct for all I know. Don't know the guy personally and have no idea about his motivation.

However I was thinking more along these lines:

Clearly he believes he is manager for some time to come yet. So "back or sack" thread is a waste of time

Clearly he believes the Raos are not quitting and that he has some sort go transfer budget----- even if it's based on sales.

He does seem to be contradicting Shelfie who told us months ago we would be under a transfer embargo.

Where is FFP in all this?

These were the lines along which I was thinking but you've given me another to ponder!

He has a direct line to Desai. You can tell that with the comments about increasing player value which I have heard uttered on several occasions by two managers at this club (one present and one past). Maybe I am wrong here but I don't recall many (if any) managers at other clubs coming out bragging about increasing the value of the players they brought in. Maybe during a transfer window but not repeated during the course of a season.

Shaw should really be the person in regular contact with the owners, if Bowyer has any requests or wants to give some information then use Shaw. He's supposed to be there for a reason.

The next few months will be interesting as Bowyer and his agent are clearly pushing for a new deal. Venky's put that 12 month rolling contract in place after getting badly burned by their poor decisions, if they lift that and offer him a multi-year deal it will say a lot. If they have any sense they will keep the 12 month rolling contract in place but offer maybe an increased salary or playoff based financial incentives if they are that keen on him. The 12 month rolling contract currently in place might be the most sensible thing they have ever done here.

Den a proper deal makes both parties look good and both should benefit

Desai was stitched up by the chancers. Their front man in the club Kean made her and her family look fools and she was forced to make him a millionaire to get rid of the problem. Kean had the charm to make Desai believe in what he was doing as well as the thick skin not to care as long as he walked away with a settlement..

Far too cycnical an analysis.

Er they made themselves look fools they didn't need any help in doing so and have continued doing .

He has a direct line to Desai. You can tell that with the comments about increasing player value which I have heard uttered on several occasions by two managers at this club (one present and one past). Maybe I am wrong here but I don't recall many (if any) managers at other clubs coming out bragging about increasing the value of the players they brought in. Maybe during a transfer window but not repeated during the course of a season.

Shaw should really be the person in regular contact with the owners, if Bowyer has any requests or wants to give some information then use Shaw. He's supposed to be there for a reason.

The next few months will be interesting as Bowyer and his agent are clearly pushing for a new deal. Venky's put that 12 month rolling contract in place after getting badly burned by their poor decisions, if they lift that and offer him a multi-year deal it will say a lot. If they have any sense they will keep the 12 month rolling contract in place but offer maybe an increased salary or playoff based financial incentives if they are that keen on him. The 12 month rolling contract currently in place might be the most sensible thing they have ever done here.

Who is Bowyers agent?

OK, we'll that's a view and you could be correct for all I know. Don't know the guy personally and have no idea about his motivation.

However I was thinking more along these lines:

Clearly he believes he is manager for some time to come yet. So "back or sack" thread is a waste of time

Clearly he believes the Raos are not quitting and that he has some sort go transfer budget----- even if it's based on sales.

He does seem to be contradicting Shelfie who told us months ago we would be under a transfer embargo.

Where is FFP in all this?

These were the lines along which I was thinking but you've given me another to ponder!

At every other club I can think of 47er, it's simple, - if the manager doesn't perform, he gets the sack. Nothing else matters and there's nothing else to it. The manager comes in, gets on with the job and is judged continuously, purely on how he does with results on the pitch. Here we have something totally different and the owners are open to being used. There's mileage and cash in friendship with the owners, dragging things out, taking it slowly, persuading Mrs D that things are improving and Bowyer knows that. His comments in the press, tell "me" that that's the way he personally would like to go. That will make a coach who never expected this kind of opportunity a multi millionnaire, if it comes off. He might never get another chance.

Cynical? Maybe. Football's full of characters who's only concern is their personal prosperity.

Archived