BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

I think we now have a squad that can hold its own in this division and, hopefully, with one or two astute additions - if the embargo is lifted - we should be able to start to move forward.

You've taken our discussion so far from its origins PB that I thought I'd remind you where it started.

So I ask you what are the chances of us keeping this squad together while making "one or two astute additions"?

I posted this quote from Saturday's Mirror David Anderson article in response ---(Bowyer) "argues that his job is to develop players for owners to sell."

Whatever you say about our past I'll wager that none of our managers ever had a job description like this one. Its not "just like the seventies or eighties", its unlike any era we have ever known.

Now we know why Bowyer will stay----appalling football, poor results, no play-offs-----all irrelevant. Not the criteria by which this manager will be judged by the owners.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've taken our discussion so far from its origins PB that I thought I'd remind you where it started.

So I ask you what are the chances of us keeping this squad together while making "one or two astute additions"?

I posted this quote from Saturday's Mirror David Anderson article in response ---(Bowyer) "argues that his job is to develop players for owners to sell."

Whatever you say about our past I'll wager that none of our managers ever had a job description like this one. Its not "just like the seventies or eighties", its unlike any era we have ever known.

Now we know why Bowyer will stay----appalling football, poor results, no play-offs-----all irrelevant. Not the criteria by which this manager will be judged by the owners.

Nothing new 47er. Gordon Lee sold two favourites in Tony Field and Terry Garbutt because he wanted to rebuild the squad. You could argue that the players he brought in weren't as good as the two who left, but they enabled him to have a better team overall. In other words develop a player's value - both Field and Garbutt were sold for far more than were bought for - and you have more funds to develop the squad as a whole. At the end of the day we will never agree on this because we see it from two different viewpoints. We will have to agree to disagree.

Like most employees in any job, Bowyer wants to keep his. Unlike most others, he has to talk to the media and isn't going to risk the dole by criticising his bosses in public. Platitudes about the Venkys are the order of the day for Bowyer, when he knows deep down that they, and their decision making, are the reason for Rovers demise.

You're deliberately missing the point PB. Bowyer is not CHOOSING to sell Rhodes or Gestede because he wants to rebuild the squad.

He has no choice and will not be given the money from sales either.

I'll leave it there and hope I got through to others not in denial.

You're deliberately missing the point PB. Bowyer is not CHOOSING to sell Rhodes or Gestede because he wants to rebuild the squad.

How do we know Bowyer wont be given some of the funds?

How do we know Bowyer wont be given some of the funds?

Its funny, you make all sorts of statements out of your head (like Derby will pay all of Rhodes's wages for example) but you hold everyone you disagree with to high levels of proof! I think that might be what Abbey is getting at! WUM or hypocrite?

He'll get some of the funds I expect but very little because we are heavily in debt------remember?

Considering we'll be selling players to try and claw our way out of a transfer embargo I can't imagine Bowyer getting much if any of the funds from sales.

We can't pay a fee for anybody. That's my understanding.

• Backroom

We can't pay a fee for anybody. That's my understanding.

I think that's correct, we can only operate to bring in loans and frees. But considering wages are a factor in FFP I can't imagine that budget being increased by sales either.

The managers who sold players in the past had NO CHOICE in the matter. The directors sold the players not the manager. We are in a situation where we can't afford not to sell players if we are to get the club out of the restrictions placed upon us by FFP. We have to get running costs down and under FFP they have to come more in line with our income streams through sponsorship and attendances.

• Backroom

Gordon Lee sold two favourites in Tony Field and Terry Garbutt because he wanted to rebuild the squad.

The managers who sold players in the past had NO CHOICE in the matter.

?

You make it sound as if Rhodes and Gestede have already been sold.

The fact that substantial bids were rejected for both during the past 8 months rather undermines your arguments in this thread.

The managers who sold players in the past had NO CHOICE in the matter. The directors sold the players not the manager. We are in a situation where we can't afford not to sell players if we are to get the club out of the restrictions placed upon us by FFP. We have to get running costs down and under FFP they have to come more in line with our income streams through sponsorship and attendances.

Our income streams at this level will NEVER come in line with sponsorshp and attendances. 20+ million shortfall each season? What we going to do? Sell 50,00 half time draw tickets (to 13,00 crowds) each game? Elicit more (for currently empty) perimiter board or concourse advertising? Suddenly start selling 20,000 programmes each game from Mercer Print? What about the corporates? Increase prices to £100,000 a year for a box? Matchday meals at a grand a go? Ground re-naming and branding at massive money to confuse and deceive? Increase crowds back up to 25,000 watching the likes of Rotherham?

Going forward and surmising we could adjust the squad and eventually get 26 squad players on a paltry £10k per week still generates a first / second team wage bill over 13.5 million per year without considering Ewood, the training ground, other employees, and all other operational requirements of the business. None of it looks good.

2 million losses per month with a huge squad and gargantuan wage bill. Marooned in mid-table in a very poor Championship. Gaz giving it a right good go. Venky's losng a fortune. The club losing its fan base. Many losing hope, desire, interest and belief. Next years marketing slogan to season ticket holders? Giving it a right good go.

Ah yes, the old " if you didn't go you can't comment " routine :blink: I have been watching football a lot longer than Sutton has been on the planet.

The point I was making was about how qualified is Sutton to say GB has done a fantastic job. GB has done some good things for sure no argument from me on that point.

You have hit the nail on the head though, is he good enough for the next stage ?

What he has done or not done to get us to this stage should be a minor consideration if we are indeed determined to get back to the PL.

GB has been shown to be tactically lacking this season hence mid table "stability"

On a few occasions he has got right and rightly praised for it like at Liverpool. Is he going to be able to do it on a consistent basis though, will the owners have the patience to wait and see, will the supporters get over the frustrations and have patience with him ? The reducing attendances suggest not at the moment.

But if as you implied Sutton isn't qualified (as bear in mind an ex pro) then the fan base as sure as kean aint qualified to comment. So let's just close this thread now eh?

the problem with people like Sutton is he wont watch rovers and its the same with the press as they don't hear about venkys anymore they assume its not a shambles behind the scenes. I am on the fence with GB really as the club will never progress with its current senior management/lack off structure.

Ps remember how good a job old Kean was doing according to most of the mainstream media

Archived