BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from what Kamy has said on twitter and previously on here in the last week that the owners(Mrs D ) have decide to stick with Bowyer as manager for next season.

I expect at least 1 key player to be sold like Gestede or Rhodes this summer. I would like Hanley to be sold but doubt anyone will be interest in him

I only expect 4 or 5 signings this summer tbh. Signing Baptiste and Spearing permanent, Pacey winger and striker. plus a replacement if either Gestede or Rhodes were sold in the summer.

would only re-sign Kilgallon, King(if he will) and Taylor from the players who are out of contract come this summer.

groundhog day

It's as expected very much an advert and mostly fair enough but we probably all could have done without this:

'Madam Desai has been outstanding,' said Bowyer.

Still can't blame him for wanting to keep his job, hopefully between now and the end of the season he does enough to shut us grumblers up and stop any doubt

In fairness, they have stuck with it when they could very well have done what Pompey's owners did. I saw Portsmouth at Stanley this afternoon and what a sad sight. Tremendous travelling support but on the pitch not a player you'd know without the aid of google and held by a ten man, and fairly indifferent Stanley side. Stability in the Championship might not be exciting but's it's preferable to what Pompey have - a stuttering stability in League Two.

Gary Bowyer discussion? How civil. How very non specific. How very wishy washy.

ok then

left or right hair parting?

colgate or mccleans for his pre-match teeth clean?

good or bag egg? (ooops how did that get past the sensors ;) )

Is that sanitary enough?

• Backroom

In fairness, they have stuck with it when they could very well have done what Pompey's owners did. I saw Portsmouth at Stanley this afternoon and what a sad sight. Tremendous travelling support but on the pitch not a player you'd know without the aid of google and held by a ten man, and fairly indifferent Stanley side. Stability in the Championship might not be exciting but's it's preferable to what Pompey have - a stuttering stability in League Two.

Absolutley - it's a balance, they could take a punt and end up in the Premier League or end up on the slippery slope of hiring dud after dud again.

Realistically if we stay as we are we will tread water, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

For me I quite enjoy this division as a whole but only when the prize seems reachable, that feeling has been too scarce.

It's not the failing to get there that's worn me down this season I've just felt that too often the approach has been far too safe and more scared of losing than we are keen to win.

If that could change then I'd be happy for GB to continue but I'm not sure if it's something he will change.

So the only aim is to make a few quid on players now? No promotion, no ambition, no pride from anyone at the club?

Can anyone list who we could sell to make a £12-£15m profit on Bowyers signings as per the "for pune eyes only" claim in the papers?

Surrender monkeys

It's a good piece in the Mail.

The owners have been great to Bowyer, he's been given everything he's asked for, but fans see the bigger picture as we're in this for the long haul.

Absolutley - it's a balance, they could take a punt and end up in the Premier League or end up on the slippery slope of hiring dud after dud again.

Realistically if we stay as we are we will tread water, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

For me I quite enjoy this division as a whole but only when the prize seems reachable, that feeling has been too scarce.

It's not the failing to get there that's worn me down this season I've just felt that too often the approach has been far too safe and more scared of losing than we are keen to win.

If that could change then I'd be happy for GB to continue but I'm not sure if it's something he will change.

To be honest Tom I think the caution has come from trying to make sure we don't do a Portsmouth - as Blackpool and Wigan seem destined to do this season - and slip out of this division. A club in the Championship at least gives you a platform on which to build and challenge for a Premier League spot. Portsmouth are two divisions away from that and look destined to spend several years in the lower divisions despite fanatical support. Once down in those bottom divisions it is not always easy to reverse the trend. Some do - Southampton for example, but others like Sheffield United and Coventry are struggling. Fifteen years ago Stockport County were playing Championship football with the Rovers. Today they are playing in the same League as Chorley. To a certain extent, after the past few years, one can understand a degree of caution in terms of ensuring that the club doesn't fall any further. I think we now have a squad that can hold its own in this division and, hopefully, with one or two astute additions - if the embargo is lifted - we should be able to start to move forward.

Decent article. In summary they bought a stable PL club cheap, destabilised it and are now trying to stabilise it again. Meanwhile the very future of the club is in question and the Matriarch is described as outstanding. Well sorry for not doffing my cap Gaz but at least you should get another year.

Thanks for nothing.

Decent article. In summary they bought a stable PL club cheap, destabilised it and are now trying to stabilise it again. Meanwhile the very future of the club is in question and the Matriarch is described as outstanding. Well sorry for not doffing my cap Gaz but at least you should get another year.

Thanks for nothing.

In the words of Cromwell ...

Depart, I say, and let us have done with you , in the name of god go !

To be honest Tom I think the caution has come from trying to make sure we don't do a Portsmouth - as Blackpool and Wigan seem destined to do this season - and slip out of this division. A club in the Championship at least gives you a platform on which to build and challenge for a Premier League spot. Portsmouth are two divisions away from that and look destined to spend several years in the lower divisions despite fanatical support. Once down in those bottom divisions it is not always easy to reverse the trend. Some do - Southampton for example, but others like Sheffield United and Coventry are struggling. Fifteen years ago Stockport County were playing Championship football with the Rovers. Today they are playing in the same League as Chorley. To a certain extent, after the past few years, one can understand a degree of caution in terms of ensuring that the club doesn't fall any further. I think we now have a squad that can hold its own in this division and, hopefully, with one or two astute additions - if the embargo is lifted - we should be able to start to move forward.

Portsmouth won't be getting promote this season from League 2.

I remember when we played Luton Town in the FA Cup in 2006/07 season and they were Championship team but that season were relegation and the next 2 seasons both ended in relegation and were playing Conference football in 2009/10.

Blackpool were always facing a tough battle when Oyston and Riga were having disagreements from day 1 over transfer policy and signings.

Wigan spend around 5.5 million on 2 strikers under Rosler last summer but sadly they have been poor all season. Since appointed Mackay they haven't won a home game under him

Portsmouth won't be getting promote this season from League 2.

I remember when we played Luton Town in the FA Cup in 2006/07 season and they were Championship team but that season were relegation and the next 2 seasons both ended in relegation and were playing Conference football in 2009/10.

Blackpool were always facing a tough battle when Oyston and Riga were having disagreements from day 1 over transfer policy and signings.

Wigan spend around 5.5 million on 2 strikers under Rosler last summer but sadly they have been poor all season. Since appointed Mackay they haven't won a home game under him

I know a couple of passionate Portsmouth fans and they tell me that their club is better now than it has been for years. After the like of Mandaric, Gaydamank, Storrie and Redknapp they are happy that their club is owned by the fans despite their lowly status. Luton are in a similar position after years on mismanagement and Nick Owen is now chairman. Blackpool are in decline simply because of the Oystons. And for every one of these clubs there is a Bournemouth, Brentford or Southampton.

That piece shows what I've always thought: that Gary Bowyer is a great bloke. Not a manager but a very decent guy.

Now, should being a thoroughly good person be a reason to keep someone in the wrong role until they either grow into it, or bring the club down to a level that matches their own? However much they don't want that to happen, or however much they care for the club. He would have been the ideal safe pair of hands to look after the first team as and when required. I'm not sure we have that now.

All that said, and I don't like pieces bigging up a team's chances on match day - it's usually a bad omen - but I hope Bowyer gets his day out at Wembley.

At least those 3 managers still have their teams in the mix at the top and have had all season.

Look at the gap Gordon !

GB only seems to be bothered about the value of the squad.

I could say also look at the gap between us and Wigan and Fulham. Both expensive squads. There is little sense of perspective or balance on here.

If you want to make comparisons then why not compare the current squad in terms of ability AND value with the two squads that got us promoted in the past 25 years (neither of which finished as champions). Tell me how many of today's players would get into either of those teams. Now tell me why you think another manager would get us promoted.

There is no dicussion Bowyer out !

2 mins after the final whistle at Anfield is not soon enough...

See above.

btw Your avatar is Kean Out. Shouldn't you change it or do you want every BRFC manager to get the sack?

All things to all men PB but I wont be attending !

So on the outside chance that we beat Liverpool and given that you want Bowyer out within two minutews of todays final whistle I take it you wont mind the flak that you get for your stupidity and that you wont be attending or watching our Semi or even Final?

"Astute additions" PB? Aren't you reading what Bowyer is saying? His job is to sign players for next to nothing, then sell them for profit.

There won't be additions, they'll be replacements. Let's hope they are astute or we certainly will not be challenging for promotion.

"Astute additions" PB? Aren't you reading what Bowyer is saying? His job is to sign players for next to nothing, then sell them for profit.

There won't be additions, they'll be replacements. Let's hope they are astute or we certainly will not be challenging for promotion.

That's simply the way it is going to be from now on, just as it was pre-Jack Walker days, no matter who is manager. We've seen numerous players brought in and sold for profit over the past 50 odd years, it's not something Venky's have invented. Bowyer has done pretty well in my opinion, in terms of bringing players in and see no reason why he can't continue to do so.

Just be careful with the Portsmouth analogies. They are where they are because their owners jacked in and left unsustainable debt and unaffordable contracts behind them. We could well end up where Portsmouth are yet if we are not promoted soon.

'Madam Desai has been outstanding,' said Bowyer. 'Without the financial support the family has given to this club over the past few years, I dread to think where the club would have been.'

IMV, absolutely sickening stuff from Bowyer.

Think it confirms that he's just another spineless puppet.

Without their idiocy and with Big Sam / JW still at the club, we'd be almost certainly be in the PL,.

Just be careful with the Portsmouth analogies. They are where they are because their owners jacked in and left unsustainable debt and unaffordable contracts behind them. We could well end up where Portsmouth are yet if we are not promoted soon.

Portsmouth had several owners who simply stripped more and more from the club until there was nothing left. Venkys have made huge errors which have cost the club and them a fortune. To their credit they are still here and still putting money into the club. If they leave then of course we will be trouble but at the moment they have stuck with it and seem to want to support Bowyer.

'Madam Desai has been outstanding,' said Bowyer. 'Without the financial support the family has given to this club over the past few years, I dread to think where the club would have been.'

IMV, absolutely sickening stuff from Bowyer.

Think it confirms that he's just another spineless puppet.

Without their idiocy and with Big Sam / JW still at the club, we'd be almost certainly be in the PL,.

Sadly, Mercerman that is history. We can't change it by waving a magic wand. Nobody is going to buy the club in it's present state and so the owners, for all their mistakes are the only ones keeping the wolf from the door at the moment. It might not be popular with fans but the immediate future requires the owners to continue to support us. The fact that Bowyer recognizes this would suggest he has a better grip of reality than some fans who are still rooted in the same spot that we where four years ago.

That's simply the way it is going to be from now on, just as it was pre-Jack Walker days, no matter who is manager. We've seen numerous players brought in and sold for profit over the past 50 odd years, it's not something Venky's have invented. Bowyer has done pretty well in my opinion, in terms of bringing players in and see no reason why he can't continue to do so.

You said that all we need for next season is one or two astute additions. additions to what?

To a squad that has lost its best players! They are not additions, they are replacements. Read an article from Saturday Mirror by David Anderson where he says Bowyer " argues that his job is to develop players for owners Venkys to sell."

There will be no Gestede or Rhodes or Marshall. bowyer is going to have to pull several rabbits out of his hat season after season.

Venkys original template---remember?

Driving over to Leeds for work this morning and GB was on 5 Live again giving a pretty brief interview.

Didn't really say much but came across well and obviously was mainly focussed on the game today...was interesting though as they had Stuart Pearce on the phone too who was bigging him up for the job he's done with us and saying that he should be more vocal about just how much he's done for the club up until this point as a lot of people seemingly take it for granted or simply don't know. He responded by essentially just saying that he'd worked hard and the club was starting to recover, then quickly changed the subject and said he hoped the players would go out and perform to the best of their abilities today.

The only weird part of it for me was even when people give him the chance he still doesn't seem to want to appear too verbally dynamic or animated about anything, he just outwardly stays in his slow monotone comfort zone!

Driving over to Leeds for work this morning and GB was on 5 Live again giving a pretty brief interview.

Didn't really say much but came across well and obviously was mainly focussed on the game today...was interesting though as they had Stuart Pearce on the phone too who was bigging him up for the job he's done with us and saying that he should be more vocal about just how much he's done for the club up until this point as a lot of people seemingly take it for granted or simply don't know. He responded by essentially just saying that he'd worked hard and the club was starting to recover, then quickly changed the subject and said he hoped the players would go out and perform to the best of their abilities today.

The only weird part of it for me was even when people give him the chance he still doesn't seem to want to appear too verbally dynamic or animated about anything, he just outwardly stays in his slow monotone comfort zone!

Interview here 16 mins in. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054p05s

Archived