BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

Ah yes, the old " if you didn't go you can't comment " routine :blink: I have been watching football a lot longer than Sutton has been on the planet.

The point I was making was about how qualified is Sutton to say GB has done a fantastic job. GB has done some good things for sure no argument from me on that point.

You have hit the nail on the head though, is he good enough for the next stage ?

What he has done or not done to get us to this stage should be a minor consideration if we are indeed determined to get back to the PL.

GB has been shown to be tactically lacking this season hence mid table "stability"

On a few occasions he has got right and rightly praised for it like at Liverpool. Is he going to be able to do it on a consistent basis though, will the owners have the patience to wait and see, will the supporters get over the frustrations and have patience with him ? The reducing attendances suggest not at the moment.

The answer is no.. The FA Cup is a one off

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if you're intentionally missing the whole point here PB. I suspect you are.

The point as I see it is that Bowyer is improving the squad, getting rid of high wage earners, bringing in decent players who he can improve and improving the club's overall position at the same time at all levels. He is getting a blend of experience - Baptiste, Kilgallon and Williamson - and younger players like Olsson, Gestede etc. Results this season have been inconsistent, it happens, but overall I can see an improvement on what we had under Kean throughout the whole club. Carey had improved the Under-18's since taking charge, Eric has done a good job with the Under-21's and will hopefully continue to improve the Academy in his new role. Gradually, I believe Bowyer is building a platform throughout the club on which to build which is why I continue to support him. I can see progress and that is all I ask of a manager.

Ah yes, the old " if you didn't go you can't comment " routine :blink: I have been watching football a lot longer than Sutton has been on the planet.

The point I was making was about how qualified is Sutton to say GB has done a fantastic job. GB has done some good things for sure no argument from me on that point.

You have hit the nail on the head though, is he good enough for the next stage ?

What he has done or not done to get us to this stage should be a minor consideration if we are indeed determined to get back to the PL.

GB has been shown to be tactically lacking this season hence mid table "stability"

On a few occasions he has got right and rightly praised for it like at Liverpool. Is he going to be able to do it on a consistent basis though, will the owners have the patience to wait and see, will the supporters get over the frustrations and have patience with him ? The reducing attendances suggest not at the moment.

As I understand things Sutton is at Ewood on a regular basis for various media outlets, so he's seen whats gone on over the past few years first hand and certainly backed up the fans yesterday. At one point he mentioned all the cr@p managers we'd had in the last 4yrs and was cut off by that idiot asking the questions for BT Sport.

Just as a side note I heard the fans singing Gary Bowyers blue and white army on more than one occassion yesterday, so maybe the feelings by the few on here isn't shared by the majority of fans.

The point as I see it is that Bowyer is improving the squad, getting rid of high wage earners, bringing in decent players who he can improve and improving the club's overall position at the same time at all levels. He is getting a blend of experience - Baptiste, Kilgallon and Williamson - and younger players like Olsson, Gestede etc. Results this season have been inconsistent, it happens, but overall I can see an improvement on what we had under Kean throughout the whole club. Carey had improved the Under-18's since taking charge, Eric has done a good job with the Under-21's and will hopefully continue to improve the Academy in his new role. Gradually, I believe Bowyer is building a platform throughout the club on which to build which is why I continue to support him. I can see progress and that is all I ask of a manager.

Ok Parson, but none of that relates to the discussion.

As I understand things Sutton is at Ewood on a regular basis for various media outlets, so he's seen whats gone on over the past few years first hand and certainly backed up the fans yesterday. At one point he mentioned all the cr@p managers we'd had in the last 4yrs and was cut off by that idiot asking the questions for BT Sport.

Just as a side note I heard the fans singing Gary Bowyers blue and white army on more than one occassion yesterday, so maybe the feelings by the few on here isn't shared by the majority of fans.

With the performance at Anfield he deserved it don't you think ?

The question to the answer as ever is consistency.

Maybe Sutton has grown up a bit now he has to work for a living.

Ok Parson, but none of that relates to the discussion.

I would have thought it was what the discussion was all about den. I believe Bowyer is improving various aspects of the club including the first team. I thought that was what we were discussing, apologies if it isn't.

With the performance at Anfield he deserved it don't you think ?

The question to the answer as ever is consistency.

Maybe Sutton has grown up a bit now he has to work for a living.

He certainly does Yoda, but if the feeling was so anti Bowyer I doubt the fans would be singing his name, regardless of the result at Anfield.

But lets not kid ourselves here, he's not taking us up, this season or next I'd wager and thats all that counts really.

He certainly does Yoda, but if the feeling was so anti Bowyer I doubt the fans would be singing his name, regardless of the result at Anfield.

But lets not kid ourselves here, he's not taking us up, this season or next I'd wager and thats all that counts really.

sucked in by the occasion ?

I would have thought it was what the discussion was all about den. I believe Bowyer is improving various aspects of the club including the first team. I thought that was what we were discussing, apologies if it isn't.

Improving various aspects of the club so that more players can be sold on, not so that the club can rise. You'll find out in the summer.

Everytime the team is on the up means more players will be sold on so Bowyer can start all over again. That's the plan, that's the future.

You're misleading people about the past there Parson. We never employed coaches as managers, with the main aim being to develop players with the main aim of improving players to sell on. We employed managers with the intention of improving the team and results. We sold players when we either needed the money, or the player wanted out. That's not comparable to whats happening now

[/quote/

How else do you explain the fact we completely snubbed what many would consider to be very good offers for Rhodes and Gestede last summer and Christmas respectively? I admit FFP might force our hand in summer .but having made mistakes in the running of the Club which have put us in the position we currently find ourselves, the situation is now out of their hands to some extent. Unless someone successfully challenges the (ridiculous) regulations.

No-one can read the Raos Revidge but its notable that the admin staff at Ewood had Rhodes all parcelled up and ready to go to Hull.

They couldn't do that off their own bat so it seems likely that the old Rao family divisions came to the fore. And Balaji said "No".

As for Gestede no club met the valuation Raos set.

Both will go in the summer. How do you account for that if the owners genuinely wanted promotion and to improve the team?

Improving various aspects of the club so that more players can be sold on, not so that the club can rise. You'll find out in the summer.

Everytime the team is on the up means more players will be sold on so Bowyer can start all over again. That's the plan, that's the future.

Yep. The idea is to use a coach to develop players, - with the "intention"* of selling them. We're in exactly the same position as we were with Kean. That's what he was employed to do, and that's what he did. He sold our better players then brought in inferior players who he and the owners believed, because of his coaching skills, he could develop. It's going well so far.

*intention. That's the difference. We've sold our best players throughout our history, but only when we needed the money, or they wanted to leave. There's a fundamental difference there.

Yep. The idea is to use a coach to develop players, - with the "intention"* of selling them. We're in exactly the same position as we were with Kean. That's what he was employed to do, and that's what he did. He sold our better players then brought in inferior players who he and the owners believed, because of his coaching skills, he could develop. It's going well so far.

*intention. That's the difference. We've sold our best players throughout our history, but only when we needed the money, or they wanted to leave. There's a fundamental difference there.

This time it's looking like a case of quantity over quality and that would explain the constant team changes, giving as many as possible some appearances. Maybe a case of selling players who cost nowt on for a few hundred grand and trying to punt on one's who cost 100k for a million. All the while hoping for a Rudy or two, it just seems like they are all being groomed for sale hence Bowyers reluctance to pair any two experienced older players in the centre of defence until he'd no option.

ame="RevidgeBlue" post="1515345" timestamp="1425904546"]

No-one can read the Raos Revidge but its notable that the admin staff at Ewood had Rhodes all parcelled up and ready to go to Hull.

They couldn't do that off their own bat so it seems likely that the old Rao family divisions came to the fore. And Balaji said "No".

As for Gestede no club met the valuation Raos set.

Both will go in the summer. How do you account for that if the owners genuinely wanted promotion and to improve the team?

The question then has to be asked do they want promotion?... No one with any intention of promotion wants to punt on their goalscorers

Just on the quote by 47er, perhaps the problem is the board level idiots we have who had decided it was time to feather their own nests with Rhodes and we're going rogue again until the owners put a stop to it.

I do believe we should be looking closer to home for a continued stench of rotting flesh,

Gav .. I heard about 5 people shouting Bowyers blue and white army and everyone around us shook there heads and started another chant.

Not on that abbey. I hope you rollocked them. Give credit where it is due, and only criticise when it isn't.

Gav .. I heard about 5 people shouting Bowyers blue and white army and everyone around us shook there heads and started another chant.

It was loud and clear on the TV pal, heard it a few times.

So selling players like Pickering, Newton, Hole, Knighton, Field etc. in the past was somehow different? Did the club rise in the past when good players were sold or did we start again developing players who were then sold - Hird, Bailey, Barker etc. There is absolutely nothing new here but because it's Bowyer, because it's Venky's it's all clearly viewed as something detrimental to the club. Small town clubs with low gates and low revenue streams sell good players - it's something the Rovers have done throughout their existence.

We did not nurture Pickering or any of the others with the aim of selling them. I know it and so do you.

You are so obsessed with pretending that everything is normal and the Walker Years were just an interlude that you are blind to reason.

We did not nurture Pickering or any of the others with the aim of selling them. I know it and so do you.

You are so obsessed with pretending that everything is normal and the Walker Years were just an interlude that you are blind to reason.

No 47er, I'm living in the present not wallowing in self pity for what we lost. It was a wonderful period in the club's history - just as the period in the 1880s must have been when we dominated the F.A. Cup, just as the period before the First World War was when we won the League Championship twice in three years. Nothing lasts forever in football. Clubs have highs and lows. I've seen some wonderful highs - the brilliant Jack Marshall team, Gordon Lee's Third Division Championship side, promotion under Kendall, the Full Members' Cup, the Play-off win, the Premier League title, the Worthington Cup, travelling around Europe when Hughes took European competitions seriously. Wonderful times and wonderful memories. However, there have been plenty of grim times - falling into the Third Division for the first time, slipping to the bottom of that League, being relegated again to the Third in 78-79, the austerity years of the late 60s, then the same in the 70s and 80s. All part of life's rich tapestry. Times are tough again, but I believe that Bowyer and his backroom team, are doing their best to bring better times back to the club. For that I think they deserve support, which in fairness they seem to get from many fans, rather than the derision and innuendo that comes out on social media.

Developing and selling players is a means to an end but it should not be the No.1 priority no matter what side of the various 'fan opinion' fences you sit on.

It is comments like those by Bowyer pre-Liverpool match that poke a finger in the wound of mistrust and muddy the waters.

Will this nightmare of Venkys and their stoogies ever end!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Well weren't they? Our situation under jack was unsustainable without what alan sugar described as "an idiot with a death wish" chucking never ending amounts of money at it. Tbh finances have even gazumped jack walker and speculating beyond my brief I've a feeling he would have had to call a halt on the crazy situation by now. Jack could see a way to making prem football pay back then but the johnny bosman case put a stop on that didn't it?

I've long held the opinion that for this area to financially support a prem team financially then there has to be just one team north of Manchester. I see the evidence now as overwhelming. People who want the venkys out need to realise that Lancs County is just about the only option available. One academy, one team, one ground and one club. Not what we'd all want but beggars can't be choosers and with a debt of 80m beggars are what we are. Only prob is that all this should have happened when we were top dogs and able to negotiate from a position of strength. Unfortunately Burnley are top dogs now!

Archived