BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

Portsmouth had several owners who simply stripped more and more from the club until there was nothing left. Venkys have made huge errors which have cost the club and them a fortune. To their credit they are still here and still putting money into the club. If they leave then of course we will be trouble but at the moment they have stuck with it and seem to want to support Bowyer.

Sadly, Mercerman that is history. We can't change it by waving a magic wand. Nobody is going to buy the club in it's present state and so the owners, for all their mistakes are the only ones keeping the wolf from the door at the moment. It might not be popular with fans but the immediate future requires the owners to continue to support us. The fact that Bowyer recognizes this would suggest he has a better grip of reality than some fans who are still rooted in the same spot that we where four years ago.

TBH, I'd rather watch Rovers in Division 2, if that's what it takes, under new ownership, new Exec management and most certainly a new manager.

I want a club I can relate to again and see those who own the club and who are employed by the club straining every sinew in their body to achieve success for Rovers.

Sadly, IMV, present incumbents are simply grossly incompetent and in it for what they can get - over the last 4 years, we must have set up scores of folk financially for life.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said that all we need for next season is one or two astute additions. additions to what?

To a squad that has lost its best players! They are not additions, they are replacements. Read an article from Saturday Mirror by David Anderson where he says Bowyer " argues that his job is to develop players for owners Venkys to sell."

There will be no Gestede or Rhodes or Marshall. bowyer is going to have to pull several rabbits out of his hat season after season.

Venkys original template---remember?

As I said, it was the same template in the sixties, seventies and eighties so it's nothing new.

As I said, it was the same template in the sixties, seventies and eighties so it's nothing new.

We didn't have owners sticking millions in back then. Today's incarnation is an artificial one.

We know we had to sell players back then Parsonblue, but it didn't say that on the tin when the clowns from Pune bought the club ! What was the investment supposed to be, £5m / window.

No PB. We sold then because we had to, Now we have to sell because that is Bowyer's job description on the owners instructions.

There is no chance of promotion this way.

You do accept that your scenario of one or two "astute additions" to an existing squad will never occur?

Read that article, I'm sorry I can't post a link, it simply comes up mirror.co.uk

'Madam Desai has been outstanding,' said Bowyer. 'Without the financial support the family has given to this club over the past few years, I dread to think where the club would have been.'

IMV, absolutely sickening stuff from Bowyer.

Think it confirms that he's just another spineless puppet.

Without their idiocy and with Big Sam / JW still at the club, we'd be almost certainly be in the PL,.

Sickening. End of story,

Portsmouth had several owners who simply stripped more and more from the club until there was nothing left. Venkys have made huge errors which have cost the club and them a fortune. To their credit they are still here and still putting money into the club. If they leave then of course we will be trouble but at the moment they have stuck with it and seem to want to support Bowyer.

Sadly, Mercerman that is history. We can't change it by waving a magic wand. Nobody is going to buy the club in it's present state and so the owners, for all their mistakes are the only ones keeping the wolf from the door at the moment. It might not be popular with fans but the immediate future requires the owners to continue to support us. The fact that Bowyer recognizes this would suggest he has a better grip of reality than some fans who are still rooted in the same spot that we where four years ago.

Hang on Parson - that's a bit like someone knocking down your kid/partner/best mate in a car accident and then having to foot the bill for a private hospital to keep them in intensive care, having never once admitted what they'd done wrong.

To then praise them for footing the bill would never happen, as quite rightly you'd be outraged at what you did kid/partner/mate. Maybe there'd be a grudging satisfaction that they have to pay for the mess they created, but praise them? Call them brilliant? No it's wrong and sickening.

• Backroom

I think we now have a squad that can hold its own in this division and, hopefully, with one or two astute additions - if the embargo is lifted - we should be able to start to move forward.

Assuming we don't sell most of our good players this summer, yes, and that is a big assumption. However, even assuming that is the case, we'll still need an actual manager to make progress. With Bowyer in charge we are - at best - destined for mid table nothingness for the foreseeable future. At worst we'll regress at a rate of knots and get relegated.

Looking at our form since December, it's no wonder fans are concerned the latter is the most likely scenario.

Hopefully, Bowyer in for another season at least.

At least you stick with your buddy through thick and thin. We could all do with a mate like you.

At least you stick with your buddy through thick and thin. We could all do with a mate like you.

To be honest Al it's what we all used to do as fans of Blackburn Rovers. Very rarely did we turn on managers, unless said manager had time and blew it like Saxton.

So Parsons stand is hardly anything new, I just think some of the fans have lost all perspective and still think as a club we're in the Premiership, we're not.

I'm not sure what the perspective should be when the club is accelerating towards nine figure debt and the owners' criteria for success is turning a profit on bargain basement signings.

We live in strange times. The club has endured straitened circumstances in the past of course, but this is a whole new ballgame.

It looks like bowyer will stay, in which case we'll be mid table again. Will the summer of next year be when the reality hits the fan?

• Backroom

Another fantastic performance today against a far more talented team, so well done to Bowyer for getting it right again in the cup.

Question is, does he have the ability to work out how to play against teams on our level, and motivate the players to perform in these games? The last couple of seasons suggest not, but when you watch games like today you do wonder how he can get it wrong so often in the league. If the players could show the same passion, commitment and discipline in the majority of our league matches we'd be right up there.

Well done to Bowyer and his staff for team selection, setting the team up and the tactics today. I have been critical of these aspects of his management but today he got it right.

So on the outside chance that we beat Liverpool and given that you want Bowyer out within two minutews of todays final whistle I take it you wont mind the flak that you get for your stupidity and that you wont be attending or watching our Semi or even Final?

Quite the opposite , I watched it on BT and we actually played like a team .Unfortunately cannot say that too many times this season or last ...

I want Rovers to win every match they play , this squad has been under achieving for too long....

Pride , passion and 90 mins of effort from all , it is there in the players needs to appear on a more regular basis...

Thats the managers fault...

But , I will concede Mr Bowyer got it spot on today ....

Today we were excellent so well done Bowyer.

Obvious question, and this isn't trying to put a dampener on anything, why only the cup games ? So frustrating, fans have said time and time again, we should be doing far better in our league with the squad we have.

To be honest Al, as Gav said earlier, we always showed more patience with managers in the past than we seem to do at present. I'm a firm believer that all managers need time. Bowyer was completely new to management when he came in and I still believe he is learning and making a pretty good job of things to be honest. Owners in the Football League aren't going to be allowed to throw money at it anymore because of the risk of fines and transfer embargoes. Wheeling and dealing is going to be the way forward for the Rovers as it will for a number of other clubs. Bowyer showed today that he can manage on the big stage, work out a tactical plan and get one hundred per cent commitment from the players. Pretty decent qualities for any manager in my book.

Archived