BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing really to do with this thread but just thought how much the initials MB look like an academic qualification that could be related to Message Boards - and then came up with Master of Banter or Master of Bullshit or even Master of Baiting.

Just wiling away the hours before Kick-off - audio via Rovers Player probably. COYB.

It doesn't change the fact that players HAVE been paid off and loaned out, at Bowyer's discretion. Imagine if the owners had turned around and told Bowyer that in order to comply with FFP, we can't afford to make sweeping changes and he has to make do with the squad he's got, with a couple of freebies here and there. That didn't happen. Instead, in his first season in charge, Bowyer was allowed to sign no less than 15 players. And he has continued to be backed in the transfer market, in terms of signings and keeping hold of his best strikers.

As for the 'negative atmosphere', Bowyer had an advantage there insomuch that he was 'one of us' and not another Kean-type figure coming in under dubious circumstances. It's only in the last few months that he's had to contend with murmurs of discontent. Up until then, the fanbase has by and large been quite patient with the job he's done here.

Completely ignoring the fact that the necessity to move players on should never have been a coaches burden, yet you'd gladly use it to describe his "free reign"

And as for atmosphere, Ewood has been dead since 2012. Again, completely ignore that because it doesn't fit your opinion.

It's almost as if you think that the day GB took over, we where a normal club going in a normal direction. That's called short memory.

The buying to increase player value isn't as black and white as painted on here.

After the Trust stopped putting money in, the club's stated strategy was being a trading club. Williams said this many times and it even appeared in the verbiage of the annual accounts.

By this he meant that player purchases would be funded by profits on player sales as there would be no cash inflows for transfers, and the Sky money was gobbled up by wages.

Obviously, there are only two sources for such profits to be generated: the manager buying players who increased in value and then the academy. Thus, while it wasnt as directly stated as it seems to be by Our Gaz, it was clearly a key metric for the manager as it was essential to the ongoing execution of the strategy. Indeed, it was actually even worse as some of the trading profits were needed to pay the wage bill - you may recall we were the only Premiership club apart from Arsenal to run a transfer trading profit over more than one season, that at a time when our overdraft was maxed out at twenty million.

It is ironic that our best rainmaker by far was denied funds to keep weaving his magic but then he wasn't on board with the selling bit. Neither Ince not Allardyce made a profit but, as the academy was coming up trumps with Jones and Hoillet, it didn't really matter and I'm sure wouldn't have been a big issue. Once the academy ran dry however, the burden would have fallen squarely back on the manager's shoulders to generate the funds he wanted to spend. This is perhaps why Allardyce was reduced to getting the likes of Benjani on loan - our main summer signing that year if memory serves - as he had nothing to trade with.

IF ,say ,Rhodes got sold/loaned today/this week would Bowyer walk after promising him going nowhere? (not saying he is just putting it out there)

He could be covering his own back then if anything happens it's a case of 'nowt to do with me it came from above'. He'll not walk.

Got nothing but respect for the man and the job he's done/doing. Will he take us up? Probably not but given the financial situation at the club who can.

Financial situation at the club? You must mean the 2 million losses which probably relates to circa 3 million wage bill per month. I doubt Burnley were operating on a quarter of that however but strangely seemed to manage just fine.

Financial situation at the club? You must mean the 2 million losses which probably relates to circa 3 million wage bill per month. I doubt Burnley were operating on a quarter of that however but strangely seemed to manage just fine.

Yea but who did Dyche takeover from? How many players did Dyche have that had ridiculous contracts from the year before? How misshapen was the squad, ie how many number 10s did he have? How empty was turf moor?

There was a lot more to winning things than the size of a wage bill. The problems caused by previous mistakes will haunt this club for donkey's years, yet we are expected to just dismiss this as a factor in the managers remit.

Yea but who did Dyche takeover from? How many players did Dyche have that had ridiculous contracts from the year before? How misshapen was the squad, ie how many number 10s did he have? How empty was turf moor?

There was a lot more to winning things than the size of a wage bill. The problems caused by previous mistakes will haunt this club for donkey's years, yet we are expected to just dismiss this as a factor in the managers remit.

How long are people going to keep playing the 'It's all other peoples fault' card? Two years and counting now. 3, 4. 5, 6 years, heck lets do it for a decade if you want. The minute he took the job it was his paycheck and his responsibility alone. He recruited his own staff and players. Yes we can reasonably factor in some issues for lasting context, which most did in his first year in charge, but this is his team now and his way of playing alone. No-one forced him to buy the lads he sourced and in my view quality not quantity would have been the clear way forward, along with a professional focus on our own goal and defence.

As you may be aware, Dyche had a very small budget / squad and did not enjoy the luxury of either our facilities, gargantuan playing squad, massive overspend, 8 million pound strikers, current Internationals and 8? number 10's to choose from, but still did far better than Bowyer has at anytime. Including turning us over at home and nearly doing so at their place. I think I read he used 14 players only all season, but don't quote me.

You talk like every new other manager has a massive budget immediately available, is 100% happy with their inherited squad, has no interference or issues from above, that no one else no-one has to release players, sell players, alienate players, or cut their cloth accordingly. Apologies but it is simply not true.

I didn't say that. All circumstances are different for managers at different clubs. Dyche inherited a mill pond compared to GB's storm.

I'm not saying every decision made by him has been right, I just think it's an unfair comparison. Dortmunds comment was spot on in fairness so theirs no need for me repeat.

Holding Dyche up as an example doesnt make what Bowyers doing any less credible, it's simply not a plausible arguement for me.

Perhaps, but lets not pretend Dyche didn't manage to pull it off.

I didn't say that. All circumstances are different for managers at different clubs. Dyche inherited a mill pond compared to GB's storm.

I'm not saying every decision made by him has been right, I just think it's an unfair comparison. Dortmunds comment was spot on in fairness so theirs no need for me repeat.

Fair enough. Just getting as bit bored with constant reasons and excuses as to why Bowyer cannot be judged by his own efforts, decisions, results, purchases and league positions.

Meant more like the debt and transfer embargo

Ok, apologies I did not mean to jump on your post if that is how it read. Just highlighting that others have managed and performed better with far less available to them than GB.

As bleak as it is at rovers Imo it would be far worse already if not for bowyer. The harsh reality is we are a mid table championship club with an outside chance of a play off place and at best that's all we will be from now until who knows when

Could have been far worse yes. 100% agree on the second point for sure.

Archived