BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

every year is different. last season the team in 6th was on 56 points after 36 games, this year (which is a freak year) it's 60-odd (65?)

Just pointing out that the regression myth posited by the haters is just that, myth.

how many games have you seen this season?

I've been to plenty and for the most part the fare on offer has indeed been mind (& body) numbing.

To compound that we then have to listen to Bowyer telling us how well we played and using misplaced superlatives, eg "Outstanding".

I will admit that things could be a lot worse and by no means has his tenure been a disaster.

I'm just of the ilk that if we ever want to progress beyond mid table mediocrity we will need to make a change.

Under Bowyer I think we're more likely to eventually go down rather than up, as the better players will leave and we get left with the Browns and Williamsons.

Above all, I think his mentality will prevent any chance of promotion, (ie too defensive / negative).

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Above all, I think his mentality will prevent any chance of promotion, (ie too defensive / negative).

So again, fans want Entertaiment!!!

It's a complete fallacy in my eyes. All we should need is results. I've never understood this tippy tappy love in personally. Yes, the Ajax style is amazing when teams get it right but you need certain players- hence why that Barca team a few years back was the best at it.

Because of the mismanagement- can you see us attracting midfielders in the ilk of Iniesta and Xavi being signed? I'm sure there are cheaper options, just as capable but it's mental to think we'd be able to put a total football team together in this division; on a negative spend. Then you've got to take it to Huddersfield, Rotherham et al and get a result...

Reality means we need a dynamic setup. We can move it down the flanks, to the big man or on the floor down the middle. Morton- ask any fan if the football away at Sheff Weds a week ago was "mind numbing". Unfortunately, we've never got consistent results under GB- that's more of a reason to have a grumble, not his preference for long throws and hitting a big man now and then.

Also- on a separate but related point, I believe that if we go with Big Sam as the next England manager, we will go the furthest we've been in a competition since the 90s. A robust style to suit our players.

It's a complete fallacy in my eyes. All we should need is results. I've never understood this tippy tappy love in personally. Yes, the Ajax style is amazing when teams get it right but you need certain players- hence why that Barca team a few years back was the best at it.

Because of the mismanagement- can you see us attracting midfielders in the ilk of Iniesta and Xavi being signed? I'm sure there are cheaper options, just as capable but it's mental to think we'd be able to put a total football team together in this division; on a negative spend. Then you've got to take it to Huddersfield, Rotherham et al and get a result...

Reality means we need a dynamic setup. We can move it down the flanks, to the big man or on the floor down the middle. Morton- ask any fan if the football away at Sheff Weds a week ago was "mind numbing". Unfortunately, we've never got consistent results under GB- that's more of a reason to have a grumble, not his preference for long throws and hitting a big man now and then.

Also- on a separate but related point, I believe that if we go with Big Sam as the next England manager, we will go the furthest we've been in a competition since the 90s. A robust style to suit our players.

i've thought that for over a decade now. As soon as I sussed that SGE was a con man in fact (2nd half v Brazil 92 WC to be precise). Since then we've had some eytie whose heart wasn't in the job and came for the (ludicrous) money and two plonkers. Allardyce may not be the best manager in the world but he is certainly the best English manager.

I've been to plenty and for the most part the fare on offer has indeed been mind (& body) numbing.

To compound that we then have to listen to Bowyer telling us how well we played and using misplaced superlatives, eg "Outstanding".

I will admit that things could be a lot worse and by no means has his tenure been a disaster.

I'm just of the ilk that if we ever want to progress beyond mid table mediocrity we will need to make a change.

Under Bowyer I think we're more likely to eventually go down rather than up, as the better players will leave and we get left with the Browns and Williamsons.

Just manager speak. Time people stopped listening to what managers say and pay more attention to what they do on the pitch. That really is all that matters. Full stop.

Those oled enough can all rem the entertaining TV interviews of Cloughie, Malcolm Allison, Tommy Doc, Ron Atkinson etc but can you remember the very uninspiring TV performances of Sir Alf Ramsey? Bob Paisley? Don Revie? Probably not. Now add up the trophies.

Herbert Chapman's Arsenal in the 30's perfected counter attacking football and swept all before them. The complete opposite in style of Wengers teams but nevertheless they were the original 'Invincinbles'. Boring as hell but who cares what Herbert Chapman was like in front of a camera cos there weren't any! Doesn't alter the record books does it?

Personally I'm not a fan of arsenal style football either. What I want is the kind of football that wins things but not necessarily flashy wins. Because if you start winning you usually get more confident and expansive anyway as your players grow into their jobs and understand one another's games better. It doesn't have to be boring or Barcelona. There's plenty in between

He said nothing about Entertaiment (sic). He said Bowyer's tactics are overcautious and negative, and it's true. There have been countless times when Rovers have taken their foot off the gas after taking the lead, instead of going for the jugular, and points have been squandered because of it. Bowyer's the type of manager who would rather settle for a point than lose trying to win. Fair enough if you're one of the league's underdogs just trying to stay up, but it's not the attitude of a promotion-chasing side in a division where fortune favours the brave. It can be no coincidence that we've done so well in a knock-out tournament with the pressure off.

Great result today..

changed my mind ? nope .

Still not the man to take us forward. If ( I know it aint happening) we went up hes not a prem manager and if we stay down( which we will ) he still not the man.

Bowyer is very much the man to take us forward. A work in progress but he's doing a very good job.

i've thought that for over a decade now. As soon as I sussed that SGE was a con man in fact (2nd half v Brazil 92 WC to be precise). Since then we've had some eytie whose heart wasn't in the job and came for the (ludicrous) money and two plonkers. Allardyce may not be the best manager in the world but he is certainly the best English manager.

Allardyce isn't a cup manager, he's a league manager. There is nothing to suggest he would get to the semi finals of a World Cup, let alone a final.

I've often mused that England need two managers, one for qualification - possibly even group stages, then one for the one-off cup competitions. Mourinho and Benitez would be an example of such a "combo". For English managers, I guess we would be looking at Allardyce and Rogers. Maybe one day, Bowyer. ^_^

Incidentally, Bowyer is the 26th longest serving Football League manager. Behind Sean Dyche (19th) and Graham Alexander (23rd). All around the two year mark. Who would people suggest have improved their teams the most over that period?

• Backroom

Another very good result, positive signs for now.

I am still very much of the opinion that this season is a failure if we don't reach the play offs but at least it now looks like we are going to be close to them, a few weeks ago we were miles away.

• Backroom

Im not sure about that still. the upturn has come oddly when it's too late to count but it would seem that we thrive when under pressure. It's when life is relatively easy we go into cruise mode and let things drift.

Would say it's the other way around, we play well when the pressure is off but can't cope when it's on. This is exactly the same as last season. Then when we got close we suddenly couldn't beat Yeovil or Sheffield Wednesday.

I think we've left it too late this season to get that close though.

• Backroom

Yeah but were expected to beat Yeovil or Blackpool. Those are the can't win games. Not new under bowyer. Rovers were ever so. Remember Crewe

Wouldn't that mean we don't thrive under pressure though?

Well, Ian Holloway, the man who according to many would be the one most likely to take us up the last time we were hunting around for a manager, is now free. Anyone think we should go for him still? It's not easy choosing the right manager.

I think we should stick with Bowyer for a while yet. Not forever if things don't work out, but let's see what more he can do with the squad he's assembled.

The results over the last five games have been remarkable by any standard: four of them away and a local derby against a team with, I am told, an excellent manager. A draw and four defeats - two of them heavy - would not have been a pessimistic forecast. Credit where it is due, the manager has not been outfoxed by anyone in those games.

Another very good result, positive signs for now.

I am still very much of the opinion that this season is a failure if we don't reach the play offs but at least it now looks like we are going to be close to them, a few weeks ago we were miles away.

We went on this sort of run at the end of last season Tom, when it was too late to matter. I'd suggest we are doing it again.

Every club above us has a better GD.

Well, Ian Holloway, the man who according to many would be the one most likely to take us up the last time we were hunting around for a manager, is now free. Anyone think we should go for him still? It's not easy choosing the right manager.

I think we should stick with Bowyer for a while yet. Not forever if things don't work out, but let's see what more he can do with the squad he's assembled.

Sell them?

to little to late(even if they go unbeaten in the league until the end of the season) I'm not falling for that 'work in progress' bollards again, that was last year remember!!

this year we should have been seriously pushing for promotion, its a simple fact that teams with less talented squads than ours have been promoted or finished in the top 6 in recent years and that's clearly because they have better managers that know what its all about, bowyers mediocre(and that's all he will ever be, BECAUSE HE'S A COACH NOT A MANAGER)

Archived