BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

On 23/04/2023 at 17:32, arbitro said:

Man City youngsters were a joy to watch today and sometimes you just have to say the opponents were too good for you. There was no lack of effort from Rovers but City's passing, movement and touch was excellent - it was so easy on the eye. In fairness Sam Burns came on in the second half and was probably Rovers best player as he could have had a goal or two with his running in behind. Ayala looked a way off fitness yet and I'll be surprised if he features in the first team this season. Interestingly there was no Ash Phillips or Harry Leonard.

or Jake Garrett

4 hours ago, philipl said:

Tom Bloxham, an Irish midfielder from Spurs is signing for Rovers on his first professional contract. Glad Markanday's experience hasn't blocked that route to Ewood.

He appeared in a few games on trial and didn't look any better than what we already have.  I assumed we'd just allowed him to return to Spurs.  Strange that Sam Burns, who looks a far better player is being released while we sign Bloxham.  Hopefully he comes good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parsonblue said:

He appeared in a few games on trial and didn't look any better than what we already have.  I assumed we'd just allowed him to return to Spurs.  Strange that Sam Burns, who looks a far better player is being released while we sign Bloxham.  Hopefully he comes good.

The Sam Burns thing is strange all-round.

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

We could feasibly see a first team next season set up as:

GK

Carter   Phillips  Wharton

JRC                                           Batty

Travis  Garrett  Wharton

Vale     Leonard

I wouldn't expect it to do much, but it is impressive from an academy set up to produce a reasonably capable Championship team. And that's leaving out Buckley.

I've been reading really positive things about Batty for a few years now, but I don't think he has made a first team appearance - why is that? Injuries? Seems like plenty of opportunities to have had him on the bench, at least with no lb cover.

11 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

I've been reading really positive things about Batty for a few years now, but I don't think he has made a first team appearance - why is that? Injuries? Seems like plenty of opportunities to have had him on the bench, at least with no lb cover.

Batty has picked up injuries at inopportune times. His two main assets are speed and aggression. He will become an excellent left wing-back. The level he eventually reaches, will be down to his attitude.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2023 at 18:21, Darrenbot said:

I just googled and City have 38 players out on loan and yet these played us off the park,just shows the gap between a Championship club and a top Prem teams resources.

With oligarchs, states and hedge funds taking over pretty much the whole league, it's going to be hard for us to stay in Prem 2. The change to five subs probably contributes to even bigger squads for those who can afford it. Our recruitment at that level has changed, it seems, as we used to spread the net further and get in youngsters from Scotland and Ireland regularly, whilst now it's much less, it seems, though, we're finding useful local talent.

On Sam Burns, he desperately needed another league club loan move when it became clear that the current management didn't rate him highly at the start of the season. After that, injuries seem to have put pay to the campaign.

Incidentally, I noticed that Jacob Davenport, erstwhile reserve/fringe player is now at Stockport, having been released by Lincoln. He was considered a first team squad player with youth on his side to establish himself. Without knowing the details of Davenport's career since, I wonder if it is a Jason Lowe situation, where a limited player is carried by other more talented players and catches the manager's eye for athleticism, leadership or other such qualities, until he is surrounded by less quality and his level becomes apparent. I'm pretty sure we paid a transfer fee for Davenport who rarely looked like he had any special qualities and didn't seem to have the physical attributes for a typical DM.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Devon Rover said:

He played very well vs Hartlepool (stood out above AW imo), but has had an injury that took him out for a number of months.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 1874 said:

Sprds 3-2  v chelsea

Wolves 5-0   v Palace( {down to 10 men)

Not good results 

Nope, we're in real trouble now. Spurs and West Ham playing each other, plus one more game each. I'd say we need Spurs to lose that one, and lose to Manure (only a place above us) who in their last 5 have drawn 1 and lost 4. West Ham's extra game is bottom placed Leicester. Even if Spurs draw both games, they'll finish above us on GD if we lose to Palace. Our only saving grace might be Palace's form seems to have wobbled a bit and they're our last game. They've drawn one and lost one 5-0 in their last two, and we would probably have beaten them recently but Eastham got sent off. However they're also third in the league so are clearly one of the better sides. It's away.

Think we're going down, personally.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Nope, we're in real trouble now. Spurs and West Ham playing each other, plus one more game each. I'd say we need Spurs to lose that one, and lose to Manure (only a place above us) who in their last 5 have drawn 1 and lost 4. West Ham's extra game is bottom placed Leicester. Even if Spurs draw both games, they'll finish above us on GD if we lose to Palace. Our only saving grace might be Palace's form seems to have wobbled a bit and they're our last game. They've drawn one and lost one 5-0 in their last two, and we would probably have beaten them recently but Eastham got sent off. However they're also third in the league so are clearly one of the better sides. It's away.

Think we're going down, personally.

and we play our last fixture before everyone else so lose and they will all know what they need with 2 games each to go each

On 24/04/2023 at 17:11, Mike E said:

We could feasibly see a first team next season set up as:

GK

Carter   Phillips  Wharton

JRC                                           Batty

Travis  Garrett  Wharton

Vale     Leonard

I wouldn't expect it to do much, but it is impressive from an academy set up to produce a reasonably capable Championship team. And that's leaving out Buckley.

It's probably only three players away from being able to compete in the Championship though.

Definitely needs a goal scorer in place of Vale.

• Like 1