BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

12 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I'd prefer it was someone who had been kept from playing for the first team for the last 6 months even when we had no right backs left at all.

That's not a comment on the player himself, just that he can't be trusted much and I'd rather know what we were getting before relying on him to replace Nyambe and Zeefuik.

So you are worried about a young player replacing another young player ? I would try Brown and see how he does. Another option is Pike, but his defending is not up to scratch, he is reasonable going forwards. 

15 minutes ago, rigger said:

So you are worried about a young player replacing another young player ? I would try Brown and see how he does. Another option is Pike, but his defending is not up to scratch, he is reasonable going forwards. 

No, I'm concerned about a young player with no first team experience in a league of any note, and who we haven't seen in our first team at all, replacing a first team regular we've seen for the last few years. I thought that was obvious enough.

I'd also try Brown...or more specifically, I'd have already tried Brown so we could have seen well ahead of the summer whether he might have what it takes. Since we haven't and probably won't, we 100% need a new RB and then Brown can try to come up as the deputy, along with I guess the pretty poor and perennially injured JRC.

Pike isn't pulling up trees at Conference North level, as I posted the other day. We need a new RB this summer. We are losing two, but I realise we won't have the resources to replace both, and one has only been here for a few months with limited contribution.

I’ve been following Carters progress at Portsmouth. He seems to be doing really well there. He’s played on the right hand side of a back three and at right back in a back four. He’s getting good experience in both positions. Playing at right back says to me he’s got decent pace. Next years Scott Wharton ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 7

I'm very disappointed that the Club decided to play the u23 match vs Palace on Monday night at Ewood despite a direct clash with the first team at Preston.

I would have hoped the Club wanted as many Rovers fans as possible to attend and support the u23s which is unlikely to happen when we are playing in a local derby just up the road at the same time.

As a consolation I hoped that the Club would have filmed the match or at least a decent package of highlights to enable people to watch afterwards but it seems even that is beyond our capabilities.

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm very disappointed that the Club decided to play the u23 match vs Palace on Monday night at Ewood despite a direct clash with the first team at Preston.

I would have hoped the Club wanted as many Rovers fans as possible to attend and support the u23s which is unlikely to happen when we are playing in a local derby just up the road at the same time.

As a consolation I hoped that the Club would have filmed the match or at least a decent package of highlights to enable people to watch afterwards but it seems even that is beyond our capabilities.

I am surprised that you expected the club to even think about it, never mind do something about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve been following Carters progress at Portsmouth. He seems to be doing really well there. He’s played on the right hand side of a back three and at right back in a back four. He’s getting good experience in both positions. Playing at right back says to me he’s got decent pace. Next years Scott Wharton ?

With Van Hecke leaving and Lenihan probably leaving, we are likely to need Carter to come good at this level next season, so that's good news. Hopefully next year's Scott Wharton as you say. I dunno about him playing RB for us, so far he has had mixed performances there at Rovers. But as a potential backup option there, it's good to know he is getting the experience in that role as well as his main one.

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

With Van Hecke leaving and Lenihan probably leaving, we are likely to need Carter to come good at this level next season, so that's good news. Hopefully next year's Scott Wharton as you say. I dunno about him playing RB for us, so far he has had mixed performances there at Rovers. But as a potential backup option there, it's good to know he is getting the experience in that role as well as his main one.

I always thought it did you good as a player to play in a few different positions when you’re a young player. You get to understand what’s easy and what’s not so easy all over pitch. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

Those who watch the u23 and u18's regularly, who are the likely ''publicised names'' candidates to leave.

Always remember the likes of Cotton and Tomlinson being tipped for big things, but released (seemingly correctly so). For every good release there is always a Jack O'Connell on the opposite end of the scale.

2021/22 end of contracts

Dan Pike

Luke Brennan

Jalil Saadi

Sam Barnes

Joe Ferguson

Issac Whitehall

Joe Nolan

Zak Gilsenan (injured)

Jared Harlock

Who's likely to stay? All to leave? Brennan has a first team sub appearance, Pike has been involved with the matchday squad.

5 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Those who watch the u23 and u18's regularly, who are the likely ''publicised names'' candidates to leave.

Always remember the likes of Cotton and Tomlinson being tipped for big things, but released (seemingly correctly so). For every good release there is always a Jack O'Connell on the opposite end of the scale.

2021/22 end of contracts

Dan Pike

Luke Brennan

Jalil Saadi

Sam Barnes

Joe Ferguson

Issac Whitehall

Joe Nolan

Zak Gilsenan (injured)

Jared Harlock

Who's likely to stay? All to leave? Brennan has a first team sub appearance, Pike has been involved with the matchday squad.

A couple of week ago Nixon reckoned Brennan would be joining Wigan in the summer

7 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

2021/22 end of contracts

Dan Pike

Luke Brennan

Jalil Saadi

Sam Barnes

Joe Ferguson

Issac Whitehall

Joe Nolan

Zak Gilsenan (injured)

Jared Harlock

I cannot see any of those listed making a regular first team appearance.

38 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Thought Whitehall was showing a lot of promise prior to his injury issues this season?

Granted I won't have seen the u-23 as much as you

I would say three lads from the u18s have the best chance of making the first team eventually. Adam Wharton, Jake Batty and Ash Phillips.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

2021/22 end of contracts

Dan Pike

Luke Brennan

Jalil Saadi

Sam Barnes

Joe Ferguson

Issac Whitehall

Joe Nolan

Zak Gilsenan (injured)

Jared Harlock

Jack O'Connell wasn't released, he was sold. I seem to remember it was reported to be something in the 300-500k region, and included a small sell-on which would have been triggered when he was sold on to Sheffield United.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I was thinking of Carter more as a centre half. Him and Wharton could be the future.

I read that Pike is contracted until 2023, so, presumably will stay on. Though, with Brown signed and possibly more full backs, his future at the club looks limited. He'll probably go out on loan.

I'm not sure about their contact situations but I'd like the club to keep Whitehall, Cirino, Gilsenan and Barnes who are all very promising but had their season wiped out by serious injury. Not sure about Saadi, who's also been injury prone.

I'd keep one of Burns and McBride for a further year, if they're willing to stay. Despite struggling on loan, I feel they could have potential and might be worth a small gamble for a further year. 

Nolan, Durrant, Saadi, Hilton, Eastham, Brennan will probably need to look for new clubs.

Edit: If the club were smart, they'd do what they did with Joe Nuttall with Jack Vale. Give him some first team appearances and see if he can't either contribute or earn the club a small transfer fee. With his Welsh U21 status, he may carry a premium, assuming he stays fit.

Incidentally, I see that Brad Lyons, the NI midfielder and former Rovers player has won the Champ to promotion with Killie, in Scotland. Good to see him do well.

Edited by riverholmes

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Leonard for me is the best player in that lot.  If he progresses at the same rate I think he has a chance

He certainly is a talent. He's got a chance because of all of the non-technical attributes he has as a starting point. The willingness to run, the aggression, his press, speed & more. Helps that he knows exactly where the net is as well!

2 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I read that Pike is contracted until 2023, so, presumably will stay on. Though, with Brown signed and possibly more full backs, his future at the club looks limited. He'll probably go out on loan.

I'm not sure about their contact situations but I'd like the club to keep Whitehall, Cirino, Gilsenan and Barnes who are all very promising but had their season wiped out by serious injury. Not sure about Saadi, who's also been injury prone.

I'd keep one of Burns and McBride for a further year, if they're willing to stay. Despite struggling on loan, I feel they could have potential and might be worth a small gamble for a further year. 

Nolan, Durrant, Saadi, Hilton, Eastham, Brennan will probably need to look for new clubs.

Edit: If the club were smart, they'd do what they did with Joe Nuttall with Jack Vale. Give him some first team appearances and see if he can't either contribute or earn the club a small transfer fee. With his Welsh U21 status, he may carry a premium, assuming he stays fit.

Incidentally, I see that Brad Lyons, the NI midfielder and former Rovers player has won the Champ to promotion with Killie, in Scotland. Good to see him do well.

I think there's a chance Durrant gets another year. Looked really interesting since he moved into a central role. Made some very Joe Rothwell-esque runs in games and been much better 2nd half of this season.

On 27/04/2022 at 19:00, rog of the rovers said:

2021/22 end of contracts

Dan Pike

Luke Brennan

Jalil Saadi

Sam Barnes

Joe Ferguson

Issac Whitehall

Joe Nolan

Zak Gilsenan (injured)

Jared Harlock

Think a few of them will get new deals. Whitehall has been injured all season, but more than enough potential to deserve an extension. Gilsenan similar with injury, but has a lot of ability and I'd like to see him given a year at U23 level to see how he adapts. Harlock as well, as he has shown good progress this year.

The rest I'm more uncertain about. 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2022 at 13:40, Sparks Rover said:

Leonard for me is the best player in that lot.  If he progresses at the same rate I think he has a chance

I'm a big fan as well. Very intelligent player who links up play and decent finisher as well. Since he doesn't have explosive pace, it might take some time to bulk up to be effective at senior level as a striker.