BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Club PR is impying that 9th place is an achievement? Progression or Regression. Your thoughts?

https://twitter.com/northern_rover/status/590796235956715520

Kamy says the club is trying to spin it that top 10 is an acheivement after stating promotion as the aim when they knocked back the Rhodes bids.

I think it's a bit of a cheek but not unsurprising given the club is still rotten to the core. Am I alone in that? What do you think?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last season ended on a high note with a brilliant run that almost saw us make the play-offs, so not to improve on that this time and play so poorly for most of the season is no cause for celebration.

If Rovers were at school the mark would be B minus with the manager possibly wearing the dunce's hat.

Last season even if we'd have finished tenth I'd have said yes but this season no way is it an achievement given the squad. Apart from the usual knocks and niggles that EVERY club has to cope with there was no serious injury problems to key players really until the last quarter of the season when it was too late to do anything in all but writing.

No way did I expect promotion but I did expect us to be flirting with the top 6 come this end of the season. Quite ridiculous when you have a strike force like that who have both been dropped/rotated and hauled off in subs and messed about by the manager at times yet still plunder about 40 goals. A terrible waste of a season for various questionable reasons.

I can see us getting ninth and the spin will already be written ready to aim at the owners via the media. Cringeworthy no doubt.

Such a shame to think we had a 40 goal strike-force at our disposal and have only midtable mediocrity to show for it. Had the manager been able to strengthen the midfield, or been tactically aware enough to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts, we could've easily been among the promotion contenders. As it stands, we'll be lucky to have either of them at the club next season, and we'll be relying on the likes of Brown, Varney, Best, and whatever freebies Bowyer can pull out of the bargain bin.

Must admit, I'm not really feeling the mounting excitement, the nail-biting tension of "will we finish tenth or eleventh?"

"Join the push for tenth!"

Expectations are being managed here, the message: "be happy with what you're given".

Perhaps it will set a baseline for next season. If we finish 14th, for example, then we're clearly taking a step back to move forward.

Makes me sick.

There lies how the owners think, clear now that promotion isn't the objective to them and now proves we will never go up under these scummers, their only concern is lining their own pockets with player sales and cheap replacements and a yes-man manager to do their bidding

I do think we have to balance the argument a little when you look at other clubs with fairly decent squads and managers who also haven't reached the heights expected - on that basis, not an achievement but we have no divine right to be top 6.

There are also a number on here that think the midfield not good enough, defence not good enough, last season end of season run only against teams with nothing to play for etc - but still think we should be top 6.

Having said all that IMO we have under achieved - there are deficiencies in the squad, but it is still a top 6 squad. GB can moan about FFP - but the season before he was moaning about not having a settled squad - this season we had that. Whatever you say about the owners - they apparently turned down around £17m for our star strikers, as well as finding the money for Duffy - so he had good backing from them.

GB also appears acutely aware of our finances - blaming them at very opportunity (ignoring the fact we turned down bids for players etc) - even he knows the only way to really address the finances was promotion (as much as he trys to big up the increase in player value). So financially a huge failure - one thing our owners will surely take into consideration.

Last, but not least , when all your promotional blurb is around the push for promotion, not being in with a realistic chance with over a month to go is terrible.

There lies how the owners think, clear now that promotion isn't the objective to them and now proves we will never go up under these scummers, their only concern is lining their own pockets with player sales and cheap replacements and a yes-man manager to do their bidding

Sorry - ridiculous to say they want to line their pockets with player sales but don't want promotion.

a. They could have sold Rhodes at the start of the season if that was the case

b. Look at Blackpool and the Oyston's - best way to make money is promotion

If it is true then it epiomises Bowyers character, cautious and content with being average. In my opinion he is holding us back when, in reality we should be kicking on and developing. It appears that he is getting his excuses ready for next season already with several references to FFP.

• Moderation Lead

We should have done better this season, top 6 isn't good enough after last season's finish. After keeping the squad together we haven't progressed, simply stagnated. If we can't move forward when we keep our players, we'll undoubtedly go backwards when we lose them!

who is the author ? Parson and Myers ?

We was told it was promotion push and then all's of sudden 20 odd points off the promotion spots, top ten is ok.

I've had stick over my hate of the V's but all's I see is realism on my behalf. Its all smoke and mirrors from the top to the bottom and we are at the bottom and as @#/? rolls downhill to us fans at the bottom . NOONE gives one iota about fans throughout the club and in India. To the Lunes we are @#/? on their shoes & to Degsy and chums we are a way that they could lose their life on easy street.

No doubt the clappers will say its been a good season and us tremblers are morons.

• Backroom

Playoffs was the objective at the beginning of the season, but yet again, the play-offs were probably the objective for 14 other clubs in this division.

In my view, we should count ourselves lucky that we're finishing in mid-table and not near the bottom like Wigan, who thereselves were expected to mount a bit of a playoff charge before the season.

We all know our owners are far from perfect but are hopefully slowly learning, Bowyer is all we have and there isn't a hope in hell that Venkys will get rid of him.

Hopefully next season he will be 'bold' like he says he's going to be and actually go and attack teams, then we may stand half a chance.

It is absolutely imperative that we keep hold of 1 of either Rhodes or Gestede.

how are they learning? only thing they've done is stay stchumm!!

Millions in debt, rising every day,transfer embargo , still employing someone whio in court was proved to gone rogue , worse than last year and I would imagine wholesale sales in the summer and a weaker side next season ...AYE THEY ARE LEARNING.

What are they hopefully slowly learning?

their two biggest mistakes were exchanging Williams and finn for Mavis and Co. ; and sacking off an experienced manager with a track record of achievement and replacing him with a succession of novice ex coaches.

The only consistent thing they've done is stick rigidly to that game plan as we've become entrenched in this division.

Other sides were hopeful of the play offs too, but then some of them had weaker squads than ours. Not all of them finished below us.

hopefully learning? pie in the sky man. Wishful thinking

• Backroom

Kean, Shebby, Agnew, Anderson, all gone.

Orr, Nunes, Gomes, Ribeiro, Edinho, Anderson Jr, Murphy, Etuhu the list could go on.. .all gone.

In my opinion they are learning, however they dug thereselves an enormous hole and getting out of it is going to take a lot of time.

Fair play. You're entitled to that opinion. I can understand the reasoning.

certainly I'm very happy that kean agnew and Anderson have gone.

But I don't thinktthey're learning

One of their problems is that they're seduced by blather and put far too much trust in people for far too long.

They seem to have absolutely zero concept of judging people by results or performance

• Backroom

Nothing more than messages to India. We've seen it all before.

One has to assume GB is feeling the pressure. He's changed his tune a lot recently. Suddenly blaming FFP at every opportunity, lauding other squads, criticising our own players. Shelfy and Myers are now doing the necessary work in the media to make things as favourable as possible for Gary. The last thing they want is a strong manager at the helm who may criticise them for their performance to the Raos.

Kean, Shebby, Agnew, Anderson, all gone.

Orr, Nunes, Gomes, Ribeiro, Edinho, Anderson Jr, Murphy, Etuhu the list could go on.. .all gone.

In my opinion they are learning, however they dug thereselves an enormous hole and getting out of it is going to take a lot of time.

but what about "Millions in debt, rising every day,transfer embargo , still employing someone who in court was proved to gone rogue "

• Backroom

but what about "Millions in debt, rising every day,transfer embargo , still employing someone who in court was proved to gone rogue "

This is what I mean when I said they dug thereselves a massive hole and it's going to take a long time to get out of...

As for Shaw going rogue, I couldn't tell you what their thinking behind still employing him is, nor can anyone.

Playoffs was the objective at the beginning of the season, but yet again, the play-offs were probably the objective for 14 other clubs in this division.

In my view, we should count ourselves lucky that we're finishing in mid-table and not near the bottom like Wigan, who thereselves were expected to mount a bit of a playoff charge before the season.

We all know our owners are far from perfect but are hopefully slowly learning, Bowyer is all we have and there isn't a hope in hell that Venkys will get rid of him.

Hopefully next season he will be 'bold' like he says he's going to be and actually go and attack teams, then we may stand half a chance.

It is absolutely imperative that we keep hold of 1 of either Rhodes or Gestede.

you sound like a venky plant

Archived