BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2015 / 2016

We need to address the CB position in my opinion. We played 11 different combinations of CBs last season. That's just ridiculous!

I'd sell Hanley as he's probably one we can get some money for and he's probably on decent wages. We then need a good experienced pro to come in. Duffy and killa started to form a partnership so that could work but we'd certainly need some backup. Henry on loan from West Ham could be a good one.

Centre mid also needs to be looked at. Have a look at some of the players out of contract in our league and see if there is anyone out there who could improve us.

Before considering such are you talking 4-4-2 of 4-5-1 Ricky?

btw I've already said that imo our defensive weakness starts with our full backs. They both defend like frightened rabbits caught in headlights whilst Olsson is a failed winger imo. I like to see tough tackling speedy full backs who wingers fear playing against and I don't believe our two current ones (I've excluded Spurr from this) will strike fear into anyone's heart.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw I've already said that imo our defensive weakness starts with our full backs. They both defend like frightened rabbits caught in headlights whilst Olsson is a failed winger imo. I like to see tough tackling speedy full backs who wingers fear playing against and I don't believe our two current ones (I've excluded Spurr from this) will strike fear into anyone's heart.

I think that our current full backs are the most improved players and we should stick with them. Given their pace they are a real asset, particularly going forward. They are suspect at times defensively but I believe that proper coaching will improve this aspect of their game. The way the game has gone recently (particularly the law changes) there is less emphasis on the tough tackling of yesteryear which we both remember (probably given and taken a few of these type of 'tackles'). Full backs are not as exposed as they used to be and very rarely are they faced with a one to one situation. Centre backs and wide midfielders are often the covering players.

• Backroom

I think that our current full backs are the most improved players and we should stick with them. Given their pace they are a real asset, particularly going forward. They are suspect at times defensively but I believe that proper coaching will improve this aspect of their game. The way the game has gone recently (particularly the law changes) there is less emphasis on the tough tackling of yesteryear which we both remember (probably given and taken a few of these type of 'tackles'). Full backs are not as exposed as they used to be and very rarely are they faced with a one to one situation. Centre backs and wide midfielders are often the covering players.

I feel that having full backs keen to overlap is better than defensively oriented ones.

That being said, I believe Henley has improved 10-fold in both aspects during the run of games he's been given.

I think allowing them to get forward and having a defensive midfielder sit back (I'm thinking specifically of the impressive Lenihan) is a solid way to go for us next season.

It'd be 451 when defending and more a 352 when attacking.

we need to add 3 or 4 players to the current squad with some going leave cos they are out of contract this summer and wanted by PL clubs like Gestede.

Robinson, Varney, Songo'o, Dunn are going to leave Rovers this summer. I would also like Williamson leave. Spearing and Baptiste will go back to Bolton.

I would only re-sign Matthew Kilgallon, Josh King and Chris Taylor. maybe Paul Taylor depending on the type of deal we offer him.

I would strip Hanley of the Rovers captaincy and give the armband to Matthew Kilgallon. plus possible sell Hanley aswell but can't see Bowyer doing this

I also expect Gestede to leave this summer for around 6 to 8 million pounds. I'm unsure whether Rhodes will leave due to his price tag and other clubs not prepare to pay the asking price.

so next season squad for would be:-

GK's:- Steele, Raya, Eastwood

Def's:- Henley, Duffy, Kilgallon, Olsson, Hanley, Spurr

Mid's:- Marshall, Cairney, Evans, Lowe, Conway, C.Taylor, P.Taylor(possible), Lenihan, O'Sullivan

Att's:- Rhodes, King, Brown

I would look to sign a Defender who can play Right back and centre back like Baptiste or Andy Wilkinson would be my choices. maybe look at re-sign Henry on loan from West Ham

a defensive midfielder like Dean Hammond from Leicester on a free transfer.

A striker who is a target man type with a decent/goodish goalscoring record. maybe Bowyer and his scouts will have a player like this on the scouting trips to Germany, Austria and Scandinavia.

Are you the bloke who sits behind me and my dad? You'd be on row 24, about seat 27. Cos he said exactly the same (word for word) at the match yesterday.

No Mike that isn't me, but strange that two of us thought the same thing. I thought Murray was excellent the year Palace were promoted. He has been injured recently, but when I have seen him on TV this season for Palace he has looked sharp. He would be a good signing in my opinion.

We need to address the CB position in my opinion. We played 11 different combinations of CBs last season. That's just ridiculous!

I'd sell Hanley as he's probably one we can get some money for and he's probably on decent wages. We then need a good experienced pro to come in. Duffy and killa started to form a partnership so that could work but we'd certainly need some backup. Henry on loan from West Ham could be a good one.

Centre mid also needs to be looked at. Have a look at some of the players out of contract in our league and see if there is anyone out there who could improve us.

This is what they need to do and it needn't cost anything just a bit of smart trading. As drog has mentioned though Bowyer needs to get it in his head what formation he's going to go with and recruit the right type if possible. Anyway we are clutching at straws as no way will he sell Hanley he'll more likely shove out someone else and so he HAS to play this guy.

Sounds like you are quite happy with the full backs. How?

I do share some of your misgivings about the two full backs although I don't think they're as bad as you make out. If we had unlimited funds I'd spend a fortune replacing them, however given we aren't allowed to spend any money I'd place the full back situation near the bottom of a long list of problems.

If we could somehow keep Rhodes and Gestede and completely revamp the midfield so that it both protected the defence and provided sufficient creativity, I think we'd do fine even with the current defensive personnel.

How damning that one of them was our player of the season - both on here and officially! Aren't most full backs failed wingers? Unless they are centre backs shunted out wide.

Fantasy football time:

Raya

Henley - Duffy - Kilgallon - Spurr

Lowe - Cairney

Conway Olsson

Marshall

Rhodes

With the option to go 4-4-2 with King.

Evans has to be in ahead of Lowe. Did you not see his contribution on Saturday!!

Evans has to be in ahead of Lowe. Did you not see his contribution on Saturday!!

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm haha.

I'd personally much rather see Lowe in there instead of Evans.

Do understand Gordon's issues with the full-backs to an extent and feel we need a RB to challenge Henley for the spot, simply due to lacking in numbers. I am also unsure about Spurr (should Olsson get injured).

I think that Evans had a pretty good game on Saturday, never usually that good, I'd still rather have Lowe. Williamson really needs to be sold imo, whilst he closes down players relatively well, when he gets the ball he doesn't know what to do with it (and often succeeds in giving the ball back to the opposition).

Fantasy football time:

Raya

Henley - Duffy - Kilgallon - Spurr

Lowe - Cairney

Conway Olsson

Marshall

Rhodes

With the option to go 4-4-2 with King.

I can see where you're coming from with that, my concern would be that given the way we've performed this season, tinkering about with the existing personnel in different positions would be a bit like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Doubt GB sees it like that though. He generally seems to be of the view the players can't be faulted.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm haha.

I'd personally much rather see Lowe in there instead of Evans.

Did you not think that Evans did well on Saturday?

We need a tackler, not just a good runner. It's one thing keeping the ball but it's another when he stops every opportunity to go forward by passing backwards and sideways.

Please, please let's not have people hankering for Lowe to be brought back just because he's been out of sight for a while. Jeez, fans have short memories. Our best runs of form during the last two seasons have been when Lowe has been out injured. Then as soon as he is fit he is put back in and we go on a poor run again. People think I don't like the lad. It's nothing to do with him personally it's simply the facts!

I'd replace Lowe, Williamson, and Evans if I could but with whom? Spearing? Lenihan? Anyone got any ideas?

Aside from that, I quite like Am'o's line up. Very attack minded, just a bit soft centred.

Did you not think that Evans did well on Saturday?

We need a tackler, not just a good runner. It's one thing keeping the ball but it's another when he stops every opportunity to go forward by passing backwards and sideways.

Please, please let's not have people hankering for Lowe to be brought back just because he's been out of sight for a while. Jeez, fans have short memories. Our best runs of form during the last two seasons have been when Lowe has been out injured. Then as soon as he is fit he is put back in and we go on a poor run again. People think I don't like the lad. It's nothing to do with him personally it's simply the facts!

I'd replace Lowe, Williamson, and Evans if I could but with whom? Spearing? Lenihan? Anyone got any ideas?

Aside from that, I quite like Am'o's line up. Very attack minded, just a bit soft centred.

Evans puts in a tackle? I'd say he's been our prime culprit of shirking a tackle. I thought he played better on Saturday but I think he's been our worst midfielder this season.

Play Lowe with someone doing the creating and he might be effective. When Lowe is put next to Evans or Williamson it brings out the worst in him as he has to try and create and become a player he's not. When it comes to the nitty gritty I'd say Lowe is far superior to Evans and Williamson.

Evans puts in a tackle? I'd say he's been our prime culprit of shirking a tackle. I thought he played better on Saturday but I think he's been our worst midfielder this season.

Play Lowe with someone doing the creating and he might be effective. When Lowe is put next to Evans or Williamson it brings out the worst in him as he has to try and create and become a player he's not. When it comes to the nitty gritty I'd say Lowe is far superior to Evans and Williamson.

Lowe has shirked his own share of 50/50's in his time too.

No doubt you're right. I just think he was one of our brighter performers at the start of the season. Perhaps I am suffering from short term memory loss but I struggle to think that Lowe could be any worse than Evans or Williamson.

I can see where you're coming from with that, my concern would be that given the way we've performed this season, tinkering about with the existing personnel in different positions would be a bit like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Doubt GB sees it like that though. He generally seems to be of the view the players can't be faulted.

I see what you're saying, Revidge, but it's not as if Bowyer has found the winning formula so far.

We need to quit this inverted winger nonsense. Our widemen aren't exactly blessed with much pace as it is, so having to keep cutting onto their favoured foot every time slows us down even more. Get Olsson & Conway whipping in first time balls for the likes of Rhodes and we should flourish... right?

Marshall doesn't convince me as a winger, tends to drift inside too much like Cairney and narrow the play. That's why I'd advocate moving him into a free role behind the lone striker where he can be more of a goal threat. It's easy this management lark.

As for the Lowe argument, you could swap him with any one of Evans or Williamson, I don't think it would make an appreciable difference.

Lowe doesn't get close enough for a 50/50.

90/10 more like with the 10 being when he actually put a leg out.

I'd get the memory checked out mustard. Lowe offers nothing apart from athleticism and we'll never achieve anything with him as a mainstay of our midfield.

Not suggesting he should be our prime midfielder. Just rather see him in there than Evans or Williamson tbh. If it was up to me I'd rather not have any of them in there but, of our defensive mids competing for that spot, Lowe is best of a bad bunch IMO.

• Moderation Lead

I like the idea of what Amarillo was saying, Marshall behind the striker, I still maintain Lowe and Evans are interchangable, Williamson puts a tackle in occasionally but he's ridiculously slow.

A central midfield of Cairney and Lowe with Marshall behind the striker in the '10' role off the striker. Lowe for his athleticism alone merits a selection for me, as we're so one-paced in the middle of the park it's pathetic at times.

We'll struggle. Burnley/ PNE will turn up around November and hammer us at Ewood, seeing us sink into the bottom 3, meaning 'Deadly Derek' will have to act. The best I can see happening is finishing mid-table again, with Gaz talking about it being a young squad still developing. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Archived