BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] To Keep Gestede/Rhodes or Not

To Keep Gestede/Rhodes or Not?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. You are in charge of Blackburn Rovers and have received bids for Gestede/Rhodes which match your valuations, what would you do:

• Keep Rhodes and Gestede next season and the transfer embargo remains for at least the next 12 months, possibly for 18 months
    • Sell Rhodes/Gestede and have the transfer embargo lifted within 6 months maximum

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rate GB about the same as Bob Saxton. Solid unspectacular job under testing financial circumstances but never likely to be the man under whom to progress. Mackay came in and did a much better job imo albeit not quite enough to push us over the line into the Premier League.

Don would have had this squad in the play offs I reckon. We need something of a Mackay type now to demand that extra 20% from every player and not hide behind every excuse in the book. He used to fall out with the fans regularly but you knew it was passion with him not buck passing.

But surely if you're going use that as a stick with which to beat Bowyer, you must use the same data from other clubs...

Which other clubs are sticking with managers who are under achieving?

When our final faint hope of a return to the PL (I.e. Venkys) finally clear off and we are doomed to League One, I hope nobody turns around on here and says "why did we stick with Bowyer for so long when we did have money?"

But surely if you're going use that as a stick with which to beat Bowyer, you must use the same data from other clubs...

How many other clubs have had the same resources.. Answer NONE

How many other clubs come out with excuses they can't compete transfer wise. .Answer NONE

Who was jealous of Brentfords squad but had a 8 million striker on the bench Answer GB

Time to go Gary the facts are there to see in black and white unless GB didn't sign all the players.. Yes more than enough signings for 2 squads.. Unless these were signed for other reasons than playing reasons he has no more excuses yet is now hiding behind FFP..

Time to go Gary

Unless there's monetary reasons behind these signings and Garys hands are forced otherwise time to go Gary

If you believe we've spent 21m on new players since GB took over, you must be living under a rock.

All figures bar 1 have been below the 750k average.

Duffy for example cost us 300k upfront and the rest after promotion- good deal IMO. Conway, Gestede, cairney and Evans all cost less than 500k each and then the rest are pretty much frees.

The money we got for Rochina, Formica, Dann, Olsson and a few others has paid for all the money signings we've made.

If two players score over 40 goals you should be ending in the top 6.

Jbizzle, didn't we lose money on 3 of the 4 players you mentioned there? So how does their fee cover signings, if goes a little way to covering what we lost.

Jbizzle, didn't we lose money on 3 of the 4 players you mentioned there? So how does their fee cover signings, if goes a little way to covering what we lost.

Possibly, but the point made was GB didn't sign them. From the sale of those players, we've spent fees on Marshall, Gestede, Cairney, Conway, Evans and Duffy. I'd say that was good business personally. The 21m post is as far away as it gets.

• Backroom

Conway, Gestede, cairney and Evans all cost less than 500k each and then the rest are pretty much frees.

As far as I can recall only Conway in that list cost under £500k. Am pretty sure Gestede was over £1M, Cairney was around £700k and Evans at least £500K. You also forgot to mention Steele (£1M) and Marshall (£1.2M). And of course free transfer doesn't mean they play for free too. It still adds to our wage budget and with the likes of Marrow, Songo'o, Varney, Dabo, Brown and various other duds we have very much unnecessarily added to our already bloated wage bill.

Josh King can also now be added to the list of players we've lost money on. What's the point in harping on about squad value if we end up making a loss on the player in the end anyway?

If you believe we've spent 21m on new players since GB took over, you must be living under a rock.

All figures bar 1 have been below the 750k average.

Duffy for example cost us 300k upfront and the rest after promotion- good deal IMO. Conway, Gestede, cairney and Evans all cost less than 500k each and then the rest are pretty much frees.

The money we got for Rochina, Formica, Dann, Olsson and a few others has paid for all the money signings we've made.

You sound like someone from the club jbizzle.

Wether the total figure is the one quoted, I, suspect it's higher but it's still a massive 29 players thrown Gary Bowyers way and he's now no nearer than when he began.

Wonder if Wheelock can do a spread in the LT on the 29 players brought in and why the team didn't finish any higher in the table.

As far as I can recall only Conway in that list cost under £500k. Am pretty sure Gestede was over £1M, Cairney was around £700k and Evans at least £500K. You also forgot to mention Steele (£1M) and Marshall (£1.2M). ?

From my recollection Conway was 100k. Gestede no more than 500k, cairney was 300/500k, Evans potentially 750k and Marshall was 1m...

That's 3m. We got 2m for Olsson and more for Dann...

Steele was not 1m though, why would he be? We had him on season long loan and his contract was ending. Another nominal fee.

The point is, don't believe this nonsense about us spending lots. If anything, we've probably spent double our last 2 years transfer budget on paying idiots like Good willie, Orr, Slew etc off.

Still paying for mistakes caused years ago and until those are rectified - our expectations should fall into line.

1st line insult = I don't read your post.

• Backroom

From my recollection Conway was 100k. Gestede no more than 500k, cairney was 300/500k, Evans potentially 750k and Marshall was 1m...

That's 3m. We got 2m for Olsson and more for Dann...

Steele was not 1m though, why would he be? We had him on season long loan and his contract was ending. Another nominal fee.

Do you have sources to back those fees up? I only ask because they're all significantly lower than recorded on transermarkt.

• Moderation Lead

King of insults doesn't do insults . You gotta laugh.

Give over Abbey, everyone's as bad as each other.

Do you have sources to back those fees up? I only ask because they're all significantly lower than recorded on transermarkt.

I can't speak for the others, but I'm fairly sure Gestede's figure was in the hundreds of thousands-http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=157479, the only link I could find!

Steele cost 100k. Marshall was 1 mil. Cairney around 500k. Evans around 750k. Conway around 100k. Plus Gestede around 250k.

We sold Dann for around 3.5 mil. Olsson around 2 mil or so

Didnt we get around 1 million pounds for the Formica deal?

• Backroom

I can't speak for the others, but I'm fairly sure Gestede's figure was in the hundreds of thousands-http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=157479, the only link I could find!

It seems there's no official information anywhere detailing Gestede's fee. I thought it was around £1m, but if it was less than £500k that's an absolute bargain and an incredible mistake by Cardiff.

• Moderation Lead

It seems there's no official information anywhere detailing Gestede's fee. I thought it was around £1m, but if it was less than £500k that's an absolute bargain and an incredible mistake by Cardiff.

I definitely seem to recall it being circa the £300k mark at the time. All the news articles I could see neglected to mention a fee.

As my work PC blocks quoting (it thinks this is a dodgy-ish website) I would like to point out that Ads £21m figure includes fees and wages and his £750k average figure per player is wages

£750k works out at £5208 a week on a 3 year deal which is possibly undervaluing quite a few players earnings.

£21m to flounder on the road to nowhere. No wonder the debt is only going up

Wether the total figure is the one quoted, I, suspect it's higher but it's still a massive 29 players thrown Gary Bowyers way and he's now no nearer than when he began.

Wonder if Wheelock can do a spread in the LT on the 29 players brought in and why the team didn't finish any higher in the table.

Wheelock won't want to upset his Evertonian buddies... Wonder how an Evertonian bagged the main Rovers reporting job at the LT

I definitely seem to recall it being circa the £300k mark at the time. All the news articles I could see neglected to mention a fee.

I heard that figure banded about at the time then it went Undisclosed.. So we don't really know the true figure as nowhere can I find it

• Moderation Lead

Wheelock won't want to upset his Evertonian buddies... Wonder how an Evertonian bagged the main Rovers reporting job at the LT

I heard that figure banded about at the time then it went Undisclosed.. So we don't really know the true figure as nowhere can I find it

Probably because he applied for it when Andy Cryer was leaving?

As my work PC blocks quoting (it thinks this is a dodgy-ish website) I would like to point out that Ads £21m figure includes fees and wages and his £750k average figure per player is wages

£750k works out at £5208 a week on a 3 year deal which is possibly undervaluing quite a few players earnings.

£21m to flounder on the road to nowhere. No wonder the debt is only going up

No matter which way you look at it it's impossible to dress up unless GB didn't sign any of them 29 players with a proven goalscorer at the club and we remain nowhere near challenging for play-offs let alone automatically it's time for GB to go end of no way of getting rid of the facts he's had more resources than anyone and screwed it up.. Let's face it after so long with so many players he isn't going to get us promoted..

+NO I've no hidden agenda before any fool says

FACTS ARE FACTS

Bowyer out

Probably because he applied for it when Andy Cryer was leaving?

Bet there were better applicants

Archived