BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] To Keep Gestede/Rhodes or Not

To Keep Gestede/Rhodes or Not?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. You are in charge of Blackburn Rovers and have received bids for Gestede/Rhodes which match your valuations, what would you do:

• Keep Rhodes and Gestede next season and the transfer embargo remains for at least the next 12 months, possibly for 18 months
    • Sell Rhodes/Gestede and have the transfer embargo lifted within 6 months maximum

To borrow a famous Abbeyism, stop following me around, I'm not interested in you fella, I like women.

Since when?*

*did you see what I did there, eh, eh, eh? Aren't I a hoot? ;)

Seriously though, don't set up the quip and it won't happen

Who cares about the unknown costs? If it's true that Bowyer has been backed in signing 29 players, - ..........how many more players will he need to get us out of this league?

29 more? 200?

Irrelevant, as he ain't got the requesites.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since when?*

*did you see what I did there, eh, eh, eh? Aren't I a hoot? ;)

Seriously though, don't set up the quip and it won't happen

Went well over my head that lad. Long day at work. I should have just said "have you got a stiffy?"

Unlike the real Bazza then

I'm not actually Barry Manilow...

Who cares about the unknown costs? If it's true that Bowyer has been backed in signing 29 players, - how the hell can anyone put forward that he's been hard done to? It's a daft argument. The owners didn't force him to sign 2 full teams plus another 7 players over the past couple of seasons. He's asked for each and every one of them and he's been backed all the way.

Question to those who think he's been hard done by, - how many more players will he need to get us out of this league?

I think this is the main point. Football fans, media etc. spend hours discussing transfer fees, player wages etc. I always wonder where the numbers come from, especially the wages figure, as the only hard and fast information clubs publish is in their financial accounts. Most of this is speculation based on what?

The key point is Bowyer has signed 29 players and had a few loans. The team he puts out is usually 100% his own signings. The team he puts out is designed not to lose, defensively poor, lacks pace and imagination, lacks backbone and aggression and has no chance of promotion.

That we have Rhodes, where the money does seem to be a proven fact, and Gestede is a further indictment of Bowyer's management.

The bottom line, and this is all we can judge him by, is the players he signed and the team he chose to build. The team is going backwards and Bowyer shows no sign of knowing how to change this.

Don't forget Bowyer's three year target was:

2013/14 top ten finish

2014/15 top six finish

2015/16 promotion

Personally I see nothing other than mid-table mediocrity under Gary Bowyer.

I'd like to see some concrete facts like but I gather they are difficult to find. I honestly thought 10k a week was high for players in this league, especially for teams who don't have parachute payments. I would've expected our average wage to be more like 5/10k.

For instance, I doubt the likes of Spurr, Brown, Williamson would command much more than 6/8k a week with never really playing top flight whereas I'd expect Killa or Cairney to be at the top of what we can pay - 10-12k!

Personally I would expect all players who did not sign a first team contract in the premier league to be under 10k with the notable exception of Rhodes.

My guess would be everyone in our squad is now under 10k apart from Rhodes, Duffy, Hanley and Best.

Why anyone would think Evans, Conway, Gestede or Cairney are on over 10k a week when they signed contracts when they were bang average championship players for hull or Cardiff - and were signed by Rovers without competition once those clubs were promoted - is beyond me.

If someone can produce some proof of otherwise I am willing to be convinced.

• 3 months later...

Said all along that Rudy was quite a lazy sod although he obviously likes to stay central and conserve himself for competing for every header. Didn't want to lose him and it was never a question of selling one or the other although imo we definitely kept the right one. Quite simply if the right terms had come in and Rhodes and his family had kept their mouths shut he'd have been sold as well be in no doubt.

Might get panned for this and I would've preferred to keep him but we play better stuff without him. You'd see two defensive mids again sitting deep to draw the oppo and passing it backwards for the centre backs to launch all the time as plan A. Bowyer had no idea what to do with the pair of them yet they still got the goals of course. Main problem now as always is the complete lack goals from other players.

• Backroom

There's two sides to it and we have seen both, in theory with a Koita, Brown or Rudy up with Rhodes winning the headers it should work but with Rhodes lack of pace we have often seen that a Cairney, Lawrence or especially Dunn behind Rhodes we get the most from him.

I liked this little exchange -

" 2 hours ago, West said:

Remarkable how Rudy has gone from being described to the likes of Shearer and Pelle (see start of thread) to being someone we must get rid of immediately. Remarkable.

That's what a month does in football. The guy is clearly not up to PL standard"

Good to know it's not just on here then!

Btw, alot on here said sell Rhodes as well, just to get out of FFP issue. I did point out, that losing both for the sake of getting out of the embargo, would really bite us in the arse. Imo, we kept the better striker, but we also should have shifted Hanley and somebody else, if all it took was 5 mill to get out of the embargo.

Btw, alot on here said sell Rhodes as well, just to get out of FFP issue. I did point out, that losing both for the sake of getting out of the embargo, would really bite us in the arse. Imo, we kept the better striker, but we also should have shifted Hanley and somebody else, if all it took was 5 mill to get out of the embargo.

I don't know. Hanley has been doing well. I think if we sold him we would be worse off.

To be honest for spending zero Garry has had a good summer. Koita, Guthrie, Akpan and Laurence all look useful enough to make a significant contribution to the first team. He can find a player.

I don't know. Hanley has been doing well. I think if we sold him we would be worse off.

To be honest for spending zero Garry has had a good summer. Koita, Guthrie, Akpan and Laurence all look useful enough to make a significant contribution to the first team. He can find a player.

Akpan, Guthrie and Lawrence seen like reasonable incomers to me. As for Koita the jury is out. Imo a one trick pony.....but time will tell and I hope I am proven wrong.

Archived