BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] To Keep Gestede/Rhodes or Not

To Keep Gestede/Rhodes or Not?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. You are in charge of Blackburn Rovers and have received bids for Gestede/Rhodes which match your valuations, what would you do:

• Keep Rhodes and Gestede next season and the transfer embargo remains for at least the next 12 months, possibly for 18 months
    • Sell Rhodes/Gestede and have the transfer embargo lifted within 6 months maximum

I have been reading the transfer thread with interest and some good arguments in there RE keeping or selling Gestede and Rhodes.

So I am putting you incharge of Rovers. You have just heard that QPR’s judicial review into FFP has NOT been upheld, and have received bids for Gestede/Rhodes which match your valuations of the players what would you do?

Keep Rhodes and Gestede next season and the transfer embargo remains for at least the next 12 months, possibly for 18 months.

or

Sell Rhodes/Gestede and have the transfer embargo lifted within 6 months maximum

Please use the Poll.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

They're the only thing standing between us and a sharp fall down the table. There's no way even with the embargo lifted Bowyer is going to find two strikers that can bang in 40+ goals between them, and I have no faith in our current midfield options providing the goals that would be missing, nor in the club's ability to find players to fill the void left by selling our two most effective players. Purely from the perspective of a fan, I would want us to keep them.

I've voted keep for the reasons stated in the posts above - Goals = chance of promotion.

However, there are a few variables here Kamy which (seeing as you've just put me in charge) I'm not privy to which if I really was I'd know.

Which clubs have met the valuations?

Are either of the two going to sulk for a season if I block a move? I would suspect if it's Real Madrid that have met either of the valuations then the player(s) is more likely to have a tantrum than if it's Hull.

What are my back up plans? Have we lined up a loan deal for Chris Woods or have Palace agreed a swap/loan deal involving Dwight Gayle for one of either JR or RG?

So whilst I would initially say keep, in reality there would be a bit more decision making required.

However if both are happy stay and due to us not being able to spend the cash, our only other hope is Brown & Best up front then it's a no-brainer.

I'm assuming that if clubs meet the valuation even Jordan would be pushing for a move in which case there'd be no point trying to keep either of them. They're here because so far nobody has met the valuation and they'd struggle to get better wages elsewhere. Put those 2 in place and I can't see how keeping is a realistic possibility unless we have a sudden change of just about everything else at the club.

Absolute no brainer, KEEP THEM BOTH.

We've still no chance of going up sadly, but with 40 goals sold we've even less chance!

..I want Shaw out poll.

He's just a side show pal, we need to get Venkys out.

Keep .

Goals = points ,points = promotion.

But the Owners, board and manager are useless.

If that were true we would already be promoted.

They're the only thing standing between us and a sharp fall down the table. There's no way even with the embargo lifted Bowyer is going to find two strikers that can bang in 40+ goals between them, and I have no faith in our current midfield options providing the goals that would be missing, nor in the club's ability to find players to fill the void left by selling our two most effective players. Purely from the perspective of a fan, I would want us to keep them.

We don't need two strikers scoring 40 a season. We simply need a team that scores enough.

Gestede wants to go. Let him. Get as much as we can.

Rhodes is very good at what he does, but very poor at what he doesn't. Few agree, but I'd sell him also.

People keep telling me Gestede is worth 10 million and Jordan at laset 12 million. 22 million? :) Have a word. I think we would get no more than 13 million (and thats stupid money and wy too much in my book) and owe Huddersfield a chunk I think. Maybe Cardiff as well if Gestede has a sell on clause.

We DONT need to score three every game. We simply need to conceed NONE each game. Focus on the defence, keeper especially and back four. Become very hard to beat and resilient. Also recruit a quick striker to stretch defences and a pacy winger as well. Confidence comes from results. Results come from clean sheets. Clean sheets guarantee points. We currently draw a lot of matches after scoring more than one. We can draw 0-0 for the same points accrued. Defending well is not a sin, nor is it dull and boring. In fact quite the opposite as it takes a lot of organisation, committment and effort.

• Backroom

If that were true we would already be promoted.

We don't need two strikers scoring 40 a season. We simply need a team that scores enough.

Gestede wants to go. Let him. Get as much as we can.

Rhodes is very good at what he does, but very poor at what he doesn't. Few agree, but I'd sell him also.

People keep telling me Gestede is worth 10 million and Jordan at laset 12 million. 22 million? :) Have a word. I think we would get no more than 13 million (and thats stupid money and wy too much in my book) and owe Huddersfield a chunk I think. Maybe Cardiff as well if Gestede has a sell on clause.

We DONT need to score three every game. We simply need to conceed NONE each game. Focus on the defence, keeper especially and back four. Become very hard to beat and resilient. Also recruit a quick striker to stretch defences and a pacy winger as well. Confidence comes from results. Results come from clean sheets. Clean sheets guarantee points. We currently draw a lot of matches after scoring more than one. We can draw 0-0 for the same points accrued. Defending well is not a sin, nor is it dull and boring. In fact quite the opposite as it takes a lot of organisation, committment and effort.

I don't disagree with anything you say, but on the other hand, I have no confidence under the current management team we'll see an increase in goals across the team or better defensive displays. As long as Bowyer is in charge I think we do need strikers who can score a lot of goals to get us out of difficult situations. Under his playing style we don't score enough from other areas and we don't defend well either. I can't see that changing going forward. Without high scoring strikers, IMO, we're an easy target.

Key question is do Gestede and Rhodes really want to be here now ?

Think Gestede has let it be known where he would rather be.

As for Rhodes, he's a canny lad who is well advised and he will make all the right noises to ensure he doesn't rock the boat. However, I personally believe that he would jump at the chance of either a PL move or at a move to a club that offered far better prospects of making the PL eg M'boro, Derby. He has already spent two seasons longer in the Championship than what he envisaged.

In football, it is extremely difficult to keep an unhappy player at your club.

My heart says they stay but my head says Rovers can't afford (financially and otherwise) to keep either player and they will leave.

• Moderation Lead

Rhodes will stay, Gestede will go. Rhodes will only leave for a club in the PL, with FFP no Championship club can afford him! (that includes us).

We're obviously never going to get promoted under Bowyer, therefore R&G's goals are now about ensuring our Championship status more than anything, and even that's prolonging the inevitable. I hope the fans who took up the cudgel for Bowyer last season and extolled the virtues of 'stability' are proud of themselves when we're forced to sell our best players and have Brownie & Clarkey lumbering up front next season.

We're obviously never going to get promoted under Bowyer, therefore R&G's goals are now about ensuring our Championship status more than anything, and even that's prolonging the inevitable. I hope the fans who took up the cudgel for Bowyer last season and extolled the virtues of 'stability' are proud of themselves when we're forced to sell our best players and have Brownie & Clarkey lumbering up front next season.

1. We are as close to turning draws into wins and close defeats in to draws, as we are to the opposite. Why is it so obvious to you that GB can't get us promoted?

2. So your basically saying that anyone who doesn't think sacking the manager is the be all and end all to our problems, is to blame if we end up with cheaper options up top?

1. We are as close to turning draws into wins and close defeats in to draws, as we are to the opposite. Why is it so obvious to you that GB can't get us promoted?

2. So your basically saying that anyone who doesn't think sacking the manager is the be all and end all to our problems, is to blame if we end up with cheaper options up top?

1. It probably has something to do with his marked inability to sustain a promotion push and failure to finish in the top six in successive seasons. If anything, we're regressing under his tenure, despite having two of the most prolific strikers in the league.

2. I'm saying all those who spent last season trying to undermine any criticism of the manager are about to get what they deserve.

So hand on heart do you think we will get promoted under Bowyer ? Yes or no

Black or white? Red or blue?

Disengage anger switch, don't assume I'm patronising and read on;

The question is not that easy and if it was, this site wouldn't exist. Just changing your question by adding one variable - time, makes it much easier to answer.

"So hand on heart do you think we will get promoted under Bowyer and when ?"

Answer would be; Yes but not this season. To answer specifically when, that depends on other things beside changing the manager. For instance, are we more likely to go up if we keep or lose our strikers? Without taking the manager into context.

Black or white? Red or blue?

Disengage anger switch, don't assume I'm patronising and read on;

The question is not that easy and if it was, this site wouldn't exist. Just changing your question by adding one variable - time, makes it much easier to answer.

"So hand on heart do you think we will get promoted under Bowyer and when ?"

Answer would be; Yes but not this season. To answer specifically when, that depends on other things beside changing the manager. For instance, are we more likely to go up if we keep or lose our strikers? Without taking the manager into context.

You're struggling JB.

No. That was easy. :)

Archived