BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Johnson Appointed Rovers Under 21's Manager

Don't know what kind of side Fylde put out, was it their U21's ? If so then worrying but if not then in general they are a decent team. Them at their level would spank a lot of league clubs U21's without much bother.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Don't know what kind of side Fylde put out, was it their U21's ? If so then worrying but if not then in general they are a decent team. Them at their level would spank a lot of league clubs U21's without much bother.

They made 9 subs including a trialist at half time so doubt it was the full first team

I think we are now seeing the consequences of the way our footballing structures have been dumbed down.

IMV, our club is severely under-managed from top to bottom.

I know we are a bit apart but Arsenal recruited an experienced Academy Director with a rich pedigree (Jonker coached at Barca & Bayern) whilst we went for the joiner from Carlisle !

They made 9 subs including a trialist at half time so doubt it was the full first team

It was the full AFC Fylde first team squad. Ex-Rover Matty Urwin was in goal for them. They look streets ahead of Chorley who we played last week. A huge amount of money has gone into Fylde and it shows. New ground also being built. They look to be copying the Fleetwood model. Many of our Under-21's are really Under-18 players and tonight it showed.

I think we are now seeing the consequences of the way our footballing structures have been dumbed down.

IMV, our club is severely under-managed from top to bottom.

I know we are a bit apart but Arsenal recruited an experienced Academy Director with a rich pedigree (Jonker coached at Barca & Bayern) whilst we went for the joiner from Carlisle !

And he has some excellent ideas for improving things and is getting on with it. Far from a negative, Eric's appointment and the staff he has brought in are a real positive for the club.

It was the full AFC Fylde first team squad. Ex-Rover Matty Urwin was in goal for them. They look streets ahead of Chorley who we played last week. A huge amount of money has gone into Fylde and it shows. New ground also being built. They look to be copying the Fleetwood model. Many of our Under-21's are really Under-18 players and tonight it showed.

And he has some excellent ideas for improving things and is getting on with it. Far from a negative, Eric's appointment and the staff he has brought in are a real positive for the club.

He does seem to bring good youth coaches but certain ppl cant wait to be negative about the club. He announced the coaches today for the Academy side of the club

In all walks of life from house maintenance to medical intricacies, you employ the best people you can. IMV, the likes of Kinder are a huge step backwards. I feel underwhelmed when I look at, IMV, the lack of quality in our footballing structure. Sadly, Parsonblue, we are regressing at a rapid rate of knots.

In all walks of life from house maintenance to medical intricacies, you employ the best people you can. IMV, the likes of Kinder are a huge step backwards. I feel underwhelmed when I look at, IMV, the lack of quality in our footballing structure. Sadly, Parsonblue, we are regressing at a rapid rate of knots.

That's your opinion but from what I've seen over the summer we seem to be developing the youth/under-21 structure pretty well. All the folk employed, including Eric are all well qualified for the task ahead.

That's your opinion but from what I've seen over the summer we seem to be developing the youth/under-21 structure pretty well. All the folk employed, including Eric are all well qualified for the task ahead.

The bottom line is that there are far better people out there !

There are thousands of 'well qualified' coaches out there and, IMV, Kinder and his cronies are well down that list in terms of capability.

I know a couple of people connected with PL Academies and the one name they speak glowingly of in terms of past and present Rovers' Academy staff is Alan Irvine who seems to have an excellent reputation throughout national Academy circles.

The bottom line is that there are far better people out there !

There are thousands of 'well qualified' coaches out there and, IMV, Kinder and his cronies are well down that list in terms of capability.

I know a couple of people connected with PL Academies and the one name they speak glowingly of in terms of past and present Rovers' Academy staff is Alan Irvine who seems to have an excellent reputation throughout national Academy circles.

Mr Irvine was on FiveLive's 'Monday Night Club' last week. He said that he wants to get back into the game but also said that he left his Academy job at Everton ("a great job at a club I love") because he was frustrated and wanted to be a boss.

Mr Irvine was on FiveLive's 'Monday Night Club' last week. He said that he wants to get back into the game but also said that he left his Academy job at Everton ("a great job at a club I love") because he was frustrated and wanted to be a boss.

Not disputing that - the point I am trying to make is that, IMV, we do not employ the right calibre of personnel within the Academy and rarely have done apart from the odd exception - Irvine being one that stands out.

Not disputing that - the point I am trying to make is that, IMV, we do not employ the right calibre of personnel within the Academy and rarely have done apart from the odd exception - Irvine being one that stands out.

Only time will tell, but the signs are looking good for Rovers in respect of talent coming through.

At the end of the day, whatever the club do at the moment you wouldn't be happy with. That's fair enough, that's your view. The guys who I travel around the country with watching the games week and week out at various levels have a different view. We can see people working hard to try to turn things around. They might not always be successful but you certainly can't fault their effort and commitment to the club and we believe their ability is too easily put down because they are not "big names" and because they were already at the club when the owners arrived.

the youth structure at the club certainly needs a bit of rejuvenation. Its great to see the likes of Lennihan, Nyambe, Tomlinson, etc coming through and into the 1st team. Thats what we really want from the young guys, that they push on and into 1st team contention.

Youth academies all over are having similar issues, even at La Masia, they are struggling to find a group of youngsters who are pushing for a 1st team place. Its the times we are in right now, where success is more important than trying to nurture a young player, and hope that he makes the step up. Barca as an example are ready to offload Adama Traore, and they have also let a few others go who came with huge potential, because they just dont have the capacity to take a chance right now.

However, in our case, we dont have the calibre players like what big European teams have, so it should be easier to incorporate a few and let them start games, because the level is one where they can learn very quickly

Parson, any ideas on the levels of management within the youth structure? ie Person A, reports to Person B, who reports to Person C etc? How is the communication between the under 21 coaches and Bowyer as an example

Iceman, does it need or did it need? It has been rejuvenated, not to MM's satisfaction, with Kinder and Johnson and Filan, and they seem to be doing things differently, blooding younger players in the U-21s, U-18...

With the amount of good youngsters coming through this looks like one of area of the club that's going well.

Eric Kinder is in charge of all of the Academy and Under-21 set up and would report to directly to Gary. Each team at the various levels up to and including Under-21's have their own two coaches in charge - Johnson and Filan for the Under-21's for example. Eric has brought in some new coaches for the Academy as well as promoting Billy Barr to look after the Under-18's. However, the whole coaching structure is a very closely knit group with either Gary or Terry Mc. watching most Under-21 games.

The emphasis has changed in the last couple of seasons with youngsters being pushed on much more quickly than in the past. Most of the Under-21 team could still play at Under-18 level and older players - 19 and 20 - are loaned out more rather than being left to develop in the Under-21's.

In many ways this structure is more in line with Jack's thinking. He wanted the club to produce it's own players as part of his drive to get the club to become self sufficient rather than spending huge amounts of cash on transfer fees. It didn't happen during Jack's time but with the introduction of FFP there is little option but to get the Academy structure right.

Iceman, does it need or did it need? It has been rejuvenated, not to MM's satisfaction, with Kinder and Johnson and Filan, and they seem to be doing things differently, blooding younger players in the U-21s, U-18...

With the amount of good youngsters coming through this looks like one of area of the club that's going well.

yeh from what Parson is saying, it seems alot better than in recent seasons. So im not sure either what Mercerman's issue is, but it does seem to be going in the right direction again. Kinder is a pretty experienced guy at this level from what i gather, and knows exactly who to get in and what their roles should entail. Maybe again as many suggested, maybe this embargo is just what the club needed from a youth level perspective

yeh from what Parson is saying, it seems alot better than in recent seasons. So im not sure either what Mercerman's issue is, but it does seem to be going in the right direction again. Kinder is a pretty experienced guy at this level from what i gather, and knows exactly who to get in and what their roles should entail. Maybe again as many suggested, maybe this embargo is just what the club needed from a youth level perspective

Let's see how many appearances those lads who come through the Academy record this season.

For clubs like Rovers at Championship level, you would hope that we would have at least 4 or 5 regulars and by that, I don't mean the odd appearance here and there.

If you look at the Burnley scouting / youth set-up 40+years ago, they brought through some amazing talent, playing football at the highest level (Division 1, PL equiv) and bringing in huge fees (relatively at that time) when sold.

We now seem to have a number of potential prospects on the periphery of the squad - we aren't sure yet whether that is down to genuine talent or the dire circumstances the club now finds itself in. I hope Bowyer gives these lads a real opportunity - that is a run of games to prove themselves and not 10 minutes coming on as a sub as a square peg in a round hole.

Parsonblue has to be one of Rovers' top supporters but therein can lie the issue - they are so committed that often they fail to see the wood for the trees !

Let's see how many appearances those lads who come through the Academy record this season.

For clubs like Rovers at Championship level, you would hope that we would have at least 4 or 5 regulars and by that, I don't mean the odd appearance here and there.

If you look at the Burnley scouting / youth set-up 40+years ago, they brought through some amazing talent, playing football at the highest level (Division 1, PL equiv) and bringing in huge fees (relatively at that time) when sold.

We now seem to have a number of potential prospects on the periphery of the squad - we aren't sure yet whether that is down to genuine talent or the dire circumstances the club now finds itself in. I hope Bowyer gives these lads a real opportunity - that is a run of games to prove themselves and not 10 minutes coming on as a sub as a square peg in a round hole.

Parsonblue has to be one of Rovers' top supporters but therein can lie the issue - they are so committed that often they fail to see the wood for the trees !

How many Championship clubs have 4 or 5 regulars from their own academy? Seems like an unrealistic standard.

I went to the Fylde game, I'm not going to draw conclusions from one game but it was underwhelming to say the least, 1-0 up and surrendered 5 goals. Second half display was awful, hopefully they can put it behind them and kick on in the U21s league.

How many Championship clubs have 4 or 5 regulars from their own academy? Seems like an unrealistic standard.

I would agree with that, but, when you consider the money Venkys are apparently ploughing into the academy you would like to think we will eventually begin producing some players fit for the first team. Perhaps 4 or 5 should be the target.

You can't stick 5 academy players into the first team every week. They need to learn and develop as footballers.

Tomlinson is only 17, he needs to be managed carefully.

Our first team that started on Saturday contained a lot of young(ish) players. Not many (if any) leaders, ones who have experience in this league who can guide the younger players on the pitch.

Do you really want an academy player lining up and learning from Hanley or Lowe?

Incidentally our starting 11 on Saturday included Raya, Henley, Hanley & Lowe. That's 4 players to come through the system and you've mentioned that we have a number of potential prospects coming through as well.

Not sure what the beef is when we currently have 4 players starting, a couple on the fringes (lenihan, O'Sullivan) and a few potentials coming through the academy?

Archived